From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Mustard (Japanese: マスタード Mustard) is a character in The Isle of Armor in Pokémon Sword and Shield. He is a former Champion of the Galar region. He is the only character in the games to have the Trainer class Dojo Master (Japanese: どうじょうぬし Dojo Master).
In the games
In the past, Mustard used to be a Fighting-type Gym Leader. He became the Galar League Champion soon after a heated battle with Opal 50 years prior to the events of Sword and Shield, a position which he managed to hold for 18 years, longer than any other League Champion before or since. He only lost the title after his prowess in battle began to wane following the death of his partner Pokémon. After refusing a suggestion by the then chairman of the Galar Pokémon League to have a match rigged in his favor, Mustard retired from the Galar League entirely and traveled around the world, until he bought an unnamed island off the coast of Galar and named it the Isle of Armor, setting up his Master Dojo there to teach people about Pokémon battles. One of his students was Leon, who would go on to become a Champion himself one day as well, despite failing to finish Mustard's lessons due to his horrible sense of direction.
Upon arriving at the Master Dojo, Mustard accepts the player as his student and has an easy battle with them. He then puts all of his students through three trials, with the player ending up as the winner and earning a Kubfu as a gift from Mustard. After befriending Kubfu, the player must evolve it at either the Tower of Darkness or the Tower of Waters, depending on their choice, with Mustard acting as the final opponent before Kubfu can evolve into Urshifu. Once the player has successfully found a way to unlock Urshifu's Gigantamax potential, Mustard will challenge the player to one more battle, where he holds nothing back. After this battle, he can be challenged to a rematch once a day if the player talks to him while he plays video games in the Master Dojo.
This is a transcript of the back of Mustard's League Cards in Pokémon Sword and Shield.
- Normal League Card
- "Mustard is the former Fighting-type Gym Leader and is regarded as one of the strongest Champions in Galar's history—reigning undefeated for 18 years. His intense drive for strength meant he insisted on discipline, both in himself and in others. His character changed drastically, however, after his post-retirement globe-trotting. His sudden purchase of a deserted island added to the surprise of those around him. When asked for his reasoning, he answered with a smile, "There are lots of ways to be strong in this world. I want to see them all!" The name "Isle of Armor" was also his idea."
- Rare League Card
- "This photo was taken about 50 years ago, when Mustard defeated the Fairy-type Gym Leader and went on to become Champion. He reigned undefeated until he lost his partner Pokémon. After this, his losses started to mount. He remained popular even after losing the mantle of Champion, but decided to retire after the league chairman at that time asked him to win in a rigged match. Mustard developed an obsession with video games after his retirement. Apparently he held off while he was still active in order to maintain his image to his fans."
Mustard keeps his Pokémon in Ultra Balls.
Mustard will Gigantamax his Urshifu at the first opportunity. After completing the Galarian Star Tournament, his Pokémon's levels will increase.
If the player's Kubfu evolved in the Tower of Darkness:
If the player's Kubfu evolved in the Tower of Waters:
Mustard uses these three Pokémon as both a partner and potential opponent in the Galarian Star Tournament.
If the player's Kubfu evolved in the Tower of Darkness:
If the player's Kubfu evolved in the Tower of Waters:
Mustard gives this Kubfu to the player once they have cleared his three trials.
| Held item:
| Kubfu♂/♀ Lv.10
|| This section is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this section to add missing information and complete it.
- Master Dojo
- "... ... ... Why hello there! My name is Mustard! I'm rather good at Pokémon battles, you know! I'm pleased as cheese that you could join us!"
- Cheesed to meet you! :"Heh heh, I see you've got a sense of humor, too! Good, good!"
- "Yaaay! This is my favorite part! I wanna see just how good you are! So, why not have a battle with little old me? Just say the word when you're ready!"
- "Yaaahooo! Are you ready for a battle?"
- Yes :"All right! Let's get this show started! This is the best way to get to know new students!"
- After sending out first Pokémon : "Yippee! Oh, I just can't wait to see you battle your heart out!"
- After player lands a Super-Effective hit : "Oof, super-duper effective! Uh-oh, I smell danger!"
- If the player hits a Critical Hit: "Yeeek! When luck favors you like that, it's a sure sign you're a good Trainer!"
- Before sending out last Pokémon : "Ohoho! Looks like my little old self's been cornered, I'm getting the shivers!"
- If the player defeats Mustard :"That was everything I hoped for and more!"
- "Bah ha ha! I lost! You're pretty strong, aren't you?"
- "The way you battle really shows me how much you care about your Pokémon! Even if you've come because of a misunderstanding, as long as you have a will to learn... then you're welcome at the Master Dojo! I think we can all help each other become stronger! I'm happy you've come to join us! So on that note, here's your Dojo Uniform!"
- "With that on, you'll fit right in with the students of my Master Dojo."
- "Now then! With <player> here now, the dojo's at max capacity! It's time to really start our training! You'll all be facing three trials."
- "And there's more! The person who completes the three trials will receive the secret armor of this dojo!"
- "Heh heh, that's the spirit! Now, lemme explain the first trial..."
- "Oh dear. Do you really not have a uniform? My bad, my bad! That's easy to fix, though! I have another uniform right here for you, Klara!Sw/Avery!Sh"
- "Oops! Guess I let them out of their Poké Balls a little too soon! Heh heh heh!"
- "This is the first trial, my students..."
- "You've all gotta chase after those fast Slowpoke, trained with care by little old me! But that's not all... You need to defeat them, too! And while you're at it, could you get Klara'sSw/Avery'sSh Dojo Uniform back?"
- "Well, that's that! Do your best, you lot!"
- "The first trial is to chase down the three fast Slowpoke! And while you're at it, it would be cool if you could get back the Dojo Uniform they stole!"
- If the player blocks the television
- "Oh dear, I can't see the telly if you're standing there!"
- After the player completes the first trial
- "Well mustered, <player>!"
- "You cleared the first trial like it was nothing! Why, I think this is the first time since Leon that someone was able to handle all three fast Slowpoke on their own! The rest of you tried very hard, too! You were able to catch up to the Slowpoke, but I guess you couldn't defeat them."
- "Tell you what. Anyone who was able to catch up to a Slowpoke at least once gets a pass! <player> really outdid himself, so it's only fair everyone else gets another chance. Try to make a comeback, everybody!"
- "Oh, that reminds me. Honey, where are those little ones?"
- After the player choses Squirtle/Bulbasaur
- "Dynamaxing... A phenomenon unique to Pokémon of Galar... And then there's Gigantamaxing, a very special way of Dynamaxing for very special Pokémon... Their moves change, of course, but their appearances change, too. Speaking of Gigantamax, there's that secret recipe of the Master Dojo! Drinking it makes you gigantic and strong! I call it Max Soup! I'd love to have a bowl of Max Soup full of Max Musrooms right about now. It sure has been a while... And that's why your second trial shall be mushroom picking! Max Mushrooms are the key to Gigantamaxing, and I'm tasking you with finding three! Max Mushrooms are red with a spiral pattern. I'm pretty sure they grow in dark, humid places! And with that, your next trial begins! I'm countin' on ya!"
- Fields of Honor
- "Hey, <player>! My bad, my bad!"
- "It just dawned on me that you're brand-new to the Isle of Armor! I bet you have no idea where to even begin looking for Max Mushrooms! C'mon--let's go for a walk, and I'll show you some mushroom hot spots."
- "Dum dum dee dee... La la de daaa..."
- "Now, usually the Forest of Focus is chock-full of Max Mushrooms. But the thing is, a swarm of Greedent came through and ate every last one here!"
- "So I'm thinking maybe you'll have more luck finding Max Mushrooms if you go check Warm-Up Tunnel. It's out on the other side of the forest!"
- "Just watch where you're going in the forest, 'K? It's easy to get lost!"
- "Anyhoo... Good luck with the hunt for Max Mushrooms! Catch you back at the dojo!"
- Master Dojo
- After the player completes the second trial
- "Hey there, <player>! Welcome back! Looks like you nailed the trial! Congrats on finding the Max Mushrooms! Trial number two was no problem for you!"
- "All my other students ended up getting lost in the forest... Turns out finding Max Mushrooms was the least of their problems! It's a shame, but I guess everyone other than <player> will fail the trial..."
- "Well, first things first--a proper meal! Let's have the Max Mushrooms made into a delicious Max Soup, shall we?"
- "Oho! Nice work, Klara!Sw/Avery!Sh You must've searched hard for those!"
- "Oh...and don't worry! You still totally passed the trial with flying colors! Think of those Max Mushrooms as an extra reward."
- "Well...I'm famished! Time to dig in!"
- "Oh, I never did explain the big deal about this soup, did I? You see, when one drinks this dojo's famous Max Soup..."
- "No, you don't... That kind of thing doesn't happen if a human has the soup. But! Things are a bit different when certain Pokémon drink the soup! You see, there are some Pokémon that have distinct potential... and when they drink the soup, their Dynamax form will change into a Gigantamax form!"
- "Now then, let's wrap things up! You all did your best on the second trial, and I'm proud of everyone here! And last but not least... Thanks for the soup, Honey!"
- "By the way, <player>! Meet me in my room when you have a moment."
- "There you are, <player>, Klara.Sw/Avery.Sh Thanks for coming!"
- "Right! Well, I've decided that you two... will now take the Master Dojo's...final...last...ultimate...third trial!"
- Final?/Last?/Ultimate?/Third trial?/What's that? :"Ah, well, yes. That's the gist of it."
- "You two are the only ones who successfully finished the second trial! You've pushed each other to greater heights and helped each other grow. So I'd say it's time to finally see who is stronger... in a Dynamax Pokémon battle!"
- "Yep! The rules are simple. Whoever wins will complete the trial! The winner will be granted the secret armor of the Master Dojo!"
- "The battle will be held in the Battle Court behind the Master Dojo! The court is a Power Spot, so you can Dynamax to your heart's content."
- "... Klara... She's got talent--that's for sure--but it's caused her to slack off."Sw / ... Avery... He's got talent--that's for sure--but it's caused him to slack off."Sh
- "She's never felt the need to try hard at anything, I guess."Sw / "He's never felt the need to try hard at anything, I guess."Sh
- "Even with her training here at the dojo, I can tell she's been doing just the bare minimum."Sw / "Even with his training here at the dojo, I can tell he's been doing just the bare minimum."Sh
- "But things have changed since you arrived, <player>."
- "Maybe you've helped awaken some sort of passion and drive in herSw / himSh, eh?"
- "Still...I only hope that motivation isn't put toward anything mischievous."
- Battle Court
- "Looks like the two of you are ready."
- "All right, you two, take your places!"
- "The Master Dojo's final trial... Ready! Aaaaaand go!"
- "The victor has been decided!"
- "The one to complete the third trial is you, <player>!"
- OK :"Oh, no need to tell me... You can't hide anything from little old me!"
- I won't :"That's your strength, <player>! Kindness toward both your Pokémon and your rivals!"
- "I should apologize on Klara'sSw / Avery'sSh behalf, too, as herSw / hisSh master."
- "What sheSw / heSh did was wrong, but... sheSw / heSh just didn't want to be beaten by herSw / hisSh rival--that's all. She'sSw / He'sSh a good, hardworking student."
- "As for your punishment, Klara / Avery, you're going to look after the Pokémon in the dojo for six months...by yourself!"
- "Of course! Let's work on strengthening your heart!"
- "All right, everyone! Things are settled here!"
- "<player>! You gave it your best and triumphed, even when faced with an unfair challenge. To you, who has completed all the trials... I grant the secret armor of the Master Dojo!"
- "It'll take some time to prepare, so I'll go ahead and get things sorted. And that's all, gang! As you were!"
- Master Dojo
- "Ah, there you are, <player>! Keeping this old man waiting, hmm?"
- "Since you've completed all three trials... I give you the secret armor of the Master Dojo!"
- "Now then... Come on out!"
- "This Pokémon is in fact the secret armor of the Master Dojo!"
- "Say hello to...Kubfu!"
- "I know... I know... It's tiny... But raise it with diligence, and it'll become strong enough to see you through any battle, just like a suit of armor. No opponent will be able to get past it!"
- "This one in particular has amazing potential! Problem is--it's a bit shy... it just doesn't seem to have much confidence in itself."
- "So I was thinking, <player>! Maybe if it joins you on your adventure, that'll help it break out of its shell a little bit! So take good care of Kubfu, 'K? It's in your hands now!"
- "Now then... The first thing for you to do is become best friends with Kubfu! You need to build trust! Kubfu hasn't really had a chance to explore the world outside the dojo, so... Maybe it'll help you become better friends if you let it have a look around! Maybe take it to a spot that has a great view of the Isle of Armor! I'll have my students standing at good spots, so just keep an eye out!"
- "And of course having battles or camping out together will also help you become more friendly toward each other. What else...? Oh, I know! I hereby grant you permission to keep a Pokémon out of its Poké Ball here on the Isle of Armor! You can now let the Pokémon at the head of your team out of its Poké Ball and take it for a stroll! You'll be friends in no time if you walked together! Go and take a stroll with Kubfu, why don't you? Once you're best buddies, we'll start Kubfu's training in earnest. Just stop by and let me know once you think you're ready!"
- "What's this? What's this? Let's see how you and Kubfu are getting along..."
- "Good, good! You two are just the best of friends now, aren't you? Kubfu's really become more confident. How wonderful! I daresay I think you're both ready. Follow me, you two."
- Fields of Honor
- "Dum dum dee dee... La la de daaa... Whew! I guess this is as good a spot as any!"
- "Now then, <player>! And Kubfu! If you want to become stronger... there are special training grounds just for Kubfu!"
- "Prepare yourselves for the...Tower of Two Fists!"
- "The blue tower is the Tower of Waters! And the red tower is the Tower of Darkness!"
- "Choose wisely, since you'll only be able to climb one of the two towers. Kubfu's fighting style will change depending on the tower you choose... And the types it gets will change as well! Think carefully!"
- "Each tower's five stories tall, and each floor has a tough opponent waiting for you."
- "Make sure you level up Kubfu properly before trying to climb up!"
- "You can reach both of the towers by heading through the Forest of Focus. You might even be able to find a shortcut if you can ride your bike across the river!"
- "I'm really looking forward to when you two make it to the top of one of those towers! It's going to be so exciting!"
- Towers of Two Fists
- "There you are..."
- "I figured you'd choose the Tower of Darkness/Waters, so I decided to wait for you here."
- "<player>, Kubfu-you've both done well to get this far."
- "Your final opponent is little old me!"
- "It's been a while since the last time I battled like this...but I think you can handle it!"
- "A stream too clear is avoided by fish Pokémon...We all need some darkness in ourselves."
- "Let me be the one to teach you the final lesson on the essence of darkness/water!"
- "Watch closely, <player>! This is what Kubfu's fists are truly capable of!"
- "You young folk grow so fast! It never ceases to amaze me."
- "What a team!"
- "Impressive... Most impressive!"
- "Fuhaha! I knew you were worthy of my trust, <player>!"
- "You have done well-very well indeed-in raising Kubfu to this level of strength!"
- "Leon was once my best student...a long time ago. He, too, attempted this trial..."
- "But he never made it to either tower! He got lost along the way!"
- "Fuhahaha! Now it's finally time for Kubfu to evolve!"
- "Go and show Kubfu the Scroll of Darkness/Waters. Kubfu is ready now!"
- "Behold! Before you stands Urshifu!"
- "Sure to be unyielding armor that will shatter any blade turned against it..."
- "And it has mastered the style of darkness/water!"
- "Ha! You've certainly grown, haven't you?" And to think, not long ago you would've run and hid behind me the moment you got scared!"
- "Indeed, no matter how old I get, witnessing someone grow always brings joy to my heart."
- "<player>! Urshifu! Thank you both, from the bottom of my heart."
- "Oh! I almost forgot."
- "I give this to anyone who has faced me when I was taking the battle seriously!"
- "Now then, let's head back to the dojo!"
- "Once <player> does what he/she is meant to do, it will be time for the next step..." (If the player has yet to become Champion)
- "Such talent and strength...perhaps the time has come." (If the player has become the Champion)
- Master Dojo
- If the tower was completed but the player has yet to become Champion
- "The next step can wait until <player> does what he/she needs to do..."
- "Oh, hello there, <player>! Nothing, nothing. Just talking to myself!"
- If the tower was completed and the player has become the Champion
- "So, I hear that you two are friends! How delightful!"
- "Hoppy-kins here was just asking my permission to camp out on the Isle of Armor... But where's the fun in mucking about in the mud? I was telling him he should stay here--at the dojo!"
- "Everybody's welcome to wear out their welcome at the Master Dojo! Don't be shy, my boy! Besides, we're practically family already. You're the little brother of our Leon, after all!"
- "Whoo! The more the merrier! I'm pleased as punched in a gold-plated punch bowl! Which reminds me, <player>... I've got something I've been meaning to tell you about Kubfu...or really, its Evolution--Urshifu."
- "The truth is the lovable rascal is capable of Gigantamaxing, too. But it's a bit tricky, because it really can't stand the taste of Max Mushrooms. So Max Soup is off the menu, unless you can make it more appealing to it."
- "There's a certain something you can find here on the Isle of Armor, though, that'll make even Urshifu gobble up a bowl of Max Soup... And that certain something is..."
- "That certain something... It's actually..."
- "Actually...I've forgotten what it is! Oopsie-doopsie!"
- "Mufufufu! You're even more fun to tease than your brother ever was!"
- "The certain something I'm thinking of is sure to make Max Soup more palatable to Urshifu... and it has something to do with another Pokémon! Now I think I'll let the two of you figure out just what it is. Give it a good think together! You're on your own, kiddos! The world is your Cloyster, so get cracking!"
- After defeating Dynamax Vespiqueen
- "Welcome back, my wandering Wooloo...Oh, and what is that sweet scent I detect...wafting through the air around you?"
- "Did you now? Already?!"
- "Hufufu! You did a real bang up job finding that Max Honey with hardly a hint from me! Very nicely done, <player>! And our little Hop, too!"
- "Well, it's been real, <player>. But I think you've learned just about everything the Master Dojo has to teach you. Which means that you and I can finally have a proper battle-with absolutely no holding back! I could use a bit of training if I'm going to be ready for what's to come, after all... I won't be pulling any punches this time, kiddo. If you think you're really ready for me when I'm serious, then come to the Battle Court out back!"
- Battle Court
- "Woo-hoo! Are you ready for another battle with little old me?"
- Yes :"Heh heh heh! That's what I want to hear! Then let's mosey on over to the battleground!"
- "You know, I've been thinking more and more these days...about how fortunate we were to have you join the dojo...even if it was by mistake at first! I can't thank you enough, <player>!"
- "It's been a while since I've been so excited! I can feel my blood burning and my heart just dancing with anticipation! I just can't resist a battle against a worthy opponent-no matter how old I get! Now then...Let's get things going! This is the most fun time in the world!"
- After sending out first Pokémon : "It's been a while since I faced such a strong opponent...my blood's boiling over! Time to see exactly what all this training has made of you!"
- If Mustard hits a Critical Hit :"Fuhaha! Seems like victory smiles on me today!"
- After Mustard lands a Super-Effective hit : "Let that be a reminder-a single slip could cost you everything!"
- After player lands a Super-Effective hit : "Aha! I see you've got your fundamentals down pat. But that alone won't cut it!"
- Before sending out last Pokémon : "My skills are only getting sharper! Try not to get captivated by my might!"
- Upon activating Gigantamaxing: "Now, become the gigantic fist that breaks your opponent-as one would smash through a board!"
- Upon using G-Max Rapid Flow/G-Max One Blow: "Let's see if you can withstand this move! Show me what you're made of!"
- If the player defeats Mustard :"Strength ebbs and flows in an endless cycle. One moment you grasp it, and the next, it slips from your hand. But the strength you have now-the strength that let you defeat me-it is unwavering! Congratulations, from the bottom of my heart!"
- "Fuhaha! I held absolutely nothing back, and yet you still defeated me! The apprentice surpasses his master... A true moment of pride for the master! You deserve a very special League Card from me!"
- "It seems I will have to redo my own training from scratch!"
- "Ah, so you all came!"
- "Well, that wraps up the last of the training here at the Master Dojo!"
- "<player>! I hope you'll come by and have more battles with me from time to time. It'll make us both stronger! Just so we're ready for when the time comes..."
- "Heh heh! Oh, don't worry! You'll find out what I'm talking about eventually! Aaanyway, let's all head back, shall we? Like one big family!"
- Daily Rematch
- "Hello there, <player>! Care to have a battle with little old me?"
- Yes :"Woohoo! That's what I like to hear! Well, there's no time like the present, right? Let's get it started!"
- After sending out first Pokémon : "Battling gifted opponents gets my heart beating, no matter how many times I do it! Let's hurry and get this started! Time to see who can win some Exp. Points off the other!"
- After player lands a Super-Effective hit : "Hmm, yes! I feel an unyielding power emanating from that Pokémon and that move!"
- After Mustard lands a Super-Effective hit : "A little lapse in judgement, eh? How unlike you!"
- If the player hits a Critical Hit: "Now, was that pinpoint aim or plain luck? Either way...it made things interesting!"
- Before sending out last Pokémon : "I'm really up against the wall now...which will make winning all the more satisfying!"
- Upon activating Gigantamaxing: "Flex your gigantic muscles, Urshifu! Let your mighty frame burst through the sky itself!"
- If the player's Pokémon survives with 1HP: "A fine stroke of luck...but I know you won't be worn out as easily as that!"
- Upon using G-Max Rapid Flow/G-Max One Blow: "Every one of the thousands of times we've swung our fist was for the sake of this moment!"
- If the player defeats Mustard :"That strength of yours doesn't bend easily!"
- "Battles with you are always so much fun, <player>! And my Pokémon seem happy, too!"
- If player loses to Mustard
- "Hee hee hee! Seems like I won! You put up quite a fight, too, <player>. Let's do this again!"
- Wyndon Stadium (Galarian Star Tournament)
- Partnering with Mustard
- In the locker room before the first round
- "Woo-hoo! I can't believe little ol' me gets to battle alongside Champion <player>! Let's have some fun until we've won!"
- On the field before the first round battle
- "So many Galarian stars in this tournament! This should be fun!"
- In the locker room before the second round
- "Just what I've come to expect from you! You're just the sort of student I can entrust all my secrets to--even my secret game exploits!"
- On the field before the second round battle
- "The next opponent looks strong, too! How exciting!"
- In the locker room before the last round battle
- "We've finally reached the tippy-top! Let's have the time of our lives giving all the spectators in the stadium the time of their lives!"
- On the field before the last round battle
- "I can't imagine losing when I'm teamed up with you, <player>!"
- "Woo-hoo! Did you see that, <player>? We won--little old me and you together! I say if you have fun in life, you've already won! And nobody out there can beat us in that!"
- "Why hello there, Hoppy-kins! How's studying to become a professor coming along?"
- "Oh, hi there, Peo-kins! I don't need to hold back at all if we're up against you!"
In the anime
In the Pokémon Twilight Wings
Mustard appeared in The Gathering of Stars, where he was seen in the Master Dojo at the Isle of Armor. He was visited by his student Leon, who gave him an invitation letter for the Galarian Star Tournament after having a battle with him. He was later seen at Wyndon Stadium, walking out onto the field for the tournament's opening ceremony.
This listing is of Mustard's known Pokémon in the Pokémon: Twilight Wings
|| マスタード Mustard
|| From mustard and master
| English, Italian
|| Same as his Japanese name. One half of honey mustard, with Honey.
|| From Master and Mostrich (mustard)
|| From mostaza (mustard)
|| From mustard
|| 마스터드 Maseuteodeu
|| Transcription of his Japanese name
| Chinese (Mandarin)
|| 馬士德 / 马士德 Mǎ Shìdé
|| Transcription of his Japanese name
| Chinese (Cantonese)
|| 馬士德 Máh Sihdāk
|| Мустард Mustard
|| Transcription of his English name
|| 武館館主 Móuhgún Gúnjyú
|| 武館館主 / 武馆馆主 Wǔguǎn Guǎnzhǔ
|| Maître du Dojo
|| Maestro del dojo
|| 도장 주인 Dojeong Ju-in