From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Mina (Japanese: マツリカ Matsurika) is the Trial Captain of Poni Island, her primary trial grounds being her house in Seafolk Village. She specializes in Fairy-type Pokémon.
In the games
Mina is an aspiring artist who started painting at an early age, spurned after her family's Snubbull accidentally destroyed a picture she made while trying to express its liking of the work, an action Mina interpreted as her art not being good enough and striving to become better. She is acquainted with Ilima, and Mallow keeps one of her paintings in the foyer of her family's restaurant.
Mina is known amongst her friends and family for her eclectic attitude that has been likened by her father as that of a fey vagabond — examining the painting in the Konikoni City restaurant will have the player remark about its odd, esoteric visuals, and Mina's father tells the player of her habit of leaving home for long periods of time to draw and paint, only sporadically returning to shovel as much food as she can into herself before absconding.
In Pokémon Sun and Moon, the player first meets Mina while navigating the Vast Poni Canyon. Mina is seen surveying the landscape when she notices the player and introduces herself as a Trial Captain. However, because she spends so much time dedicated to her art, she doesn't have an actual trial prepared for the player. Instead, she gives the player a Fairium Z. She muses on what she could make her trial about before bidding the player farewell.
Later on, Mina can be encountered after the main story during the third Ultra Beast hunt mission. She was sent by someone to relay the information about UB-03's appearances on Akala Island and to battle the player as a trial of strength. After being defeated, Mina will bid the player farewell and then leaves.
Mina can also be encountered once more in Poni Gauntlet, where she says she was just done doing a hundred sketches and is resting. Because she has defeated all of the Trainers in the area, Mina is bored and has nothing else to do. She challenges the player to beat all of the Trainers in Poni Gauntlet if they want to challenge her again. If the player succeeds in defeating all of the Trainers and Mina herself, she will award them with a Bottle Cap.
In Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, the player meets Mina shortly after arriving at Seafolk Village, and she now has a trial for them to complete. She helps the player and Lillie on their quest to locate Poni Island's kahuna and accessing Exeggutor Island, taking over most of the role that the chief of the seafolk had in Sun and Moon. According to her, Nanu had to administer the grand trials for Poni Island after Hapu's grandfather passed away and Tapu Fini failed to select a new kahuna for several years.
Her trial takes place after the player defeats Ultra Necrozma at Megalo Tower. After defeating Mina at her home at Seafolk Village, the player receives a Pink Petal and is then tasked with obtaining six more petals from the other Trial Captains. Once the player collects all the petals and returns to her home, Mina combines the flower petals to create the Rainbow Flower to summon the Totem Pokémon, a Ribombee. After Totem Ribombee is defeated, Mina awards the player with a Fairium Z for completing her trial and wishes the player luck on their imminent grand trial against Hapu.
Talking to Mina's parents after the completion of her trial reveals that Mina's original trial simply had trial-goers draw sketches of Ribombee, and that her current one may have been influenced by when Snubbull brought her a flower that she had pressed and still keeps with her in the present day.
Mina's Pokémon are kept in Ultra Balls.
Mina can be battled in either order, and her team is near-identical in both, but she only uses her Z-Ring in the Poni Gauntlet battle.
|| This section is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this section to add missing information and complete it.
Reason: US/UM quotes.
Pokémon Sun and Moon
- Vast Poni Canyon
- "Oh! Now that's a great composition! I could paint a picture of you—the visitor to Poni!"
- "Guess I didn't introduce myself though. I'm Mina. I'm the captain."
- "I mean, I sort of am. I actually just wander around doing my art, so I don't have an actual trial or anything... But Vast Poni Canyon sure is a wonder, huh?"
- "Once you've been through this place, you can really get to understand why that Ilima boy designed his trial the way he did, right?"
- "Oh, yeah. Ohhhh, yeah. Here. Take this as a token of our acquaintance."
- "It's the Fairium Z. Get your Z on!"
- "I'm the captain and all, so I've gotta come up with a trial. Maybe it could involve painting pictures and picking flowers... Maybe a trial like that could be cool?"
- "See you later then! Alola, alola!"
- Route 8
- "They sent me here on an errand. Since I'm not busy doing trials or anything."
- "It's a secret. Oh, and I had one more order I was given. Or was it a request? Either way..."
- "I was told I should have a real serious battle with <player> before I came back. I don't really know why, but it seems like maybe it's some sort of trial of strength."
- "So come on! Let's have a battle! Have a Pokémon battle against me!"
- Hold on: "Shocking! You want me to wait? Fine then. I guess I can wait."
- Sure: "All right! Then let's get going already! Time for Mina to show you her full power! We'll get our Z on!"
- "Whoa! I'm shocked at your strength!"
- "Whoa, you're surprisingly strong! Then it's no problem. Turns out, you're strong enough, <player>."
- "OK, I'm out of here!"
- Poni Gauntlet
- Before defeating all the Trainers in the area
- "Oh! You're the one from the great composition! I just did a hundred sketches, so now I'm taking a break. I beat all the Trainers around here, too, so now I'm totally bored again... I wish there was someone to go all out against. That's it! <Player>! If you can beat all the Trainers around here, too, I'll give you a battle against me!"
- After defeating all the Trainers in the area
- "Oh! The one from the great composition! Looks like you've beaten everybody else in this place, huh? Then have a battle against Captain Mina! Let's get our Z on!"
- "I hope you're ready for the extraordinary Z-Power of me and my Pokémon!"
- Not yet!: "OK, I guess I'll wait. I'll wait ri-i-ight here. And not move an inch."
- I'll take you on!: "Then here I go! I'm going all out, big-time!"
- If talked to again after selecting "Not yet!"
- "Hey, welcome back!"
- "Me and my team are all full-powered to the max!"
- "Whoa! I'm shocked at your strength!"
- "Hrmmm! Well, this is frustrating. I failed to really use my full power..."
- "But it was a fun battle, so take this, big-time!"
- "I'd like to draw a picture of the way you look when you're battling, <player>! Let's have another full-power Pokémon battle again sometime, yeah?"
Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon
- Altar of the Sunne/Altar of the Moone
- "<player>! Alola, alola!"
- "I got curious because I saw the altar go all dark"
- "But I guess you took care of all that, huh?"
- "But I'm not going to let you take all the good parts! I'm a captain, too, you know?"
- "So why don't you see if you can beat my trial?"
- "If you're ready to try, just come by my house. It's in Seafolk Village"
- "Or, yeah, I guess you could just come with me...Let me know if you wanna go together"
- I do!:
- Maybe later: "Just don't forget, then. Come by my house in Seafolk Village!"
- If talked to again after selecting "Maybe later"
- "Hey! So what do you think? You wanna go back home with me?"
- I do!: "Then let's get this show on the road!"
- Maybe later:
- Seafolk Village
- "So I take it you're ready to take my trial, right? You did come to my house like I said, after all."
- That's why I'm here!: "Heh heh heh...Then let the trial of Mina begin!"
- That's not why I'm here!:
- "I guess I've got to tell you what you need to do. You have to battle me!"
- "Woah! I'm shocked at your strength!"
- "Phew! Looks like you have had some kind of island challenge!"
- "Since you managed to beat me, though, I'll give you this Pink Petal as proof."
- "That's a good start. But you've only just begun my real trial."
- "Now you have to go around to all the captains in Alola and get a petal from each one of them!"
- After collecting all petals
- "Welcome back, <player! Was everyone doing OK?"
- "We captains love getting to see how kids like you and your teams grow."
- "Trial-goers and those of us who watch over the trial-goers, we all get to share that joy with our Pokémon, you know?"
- "All right, then. Lend me the seven petals you collected for a second, would you?"
- "Here you go. One Rainbow Flower! I made it from the petals you got from everybody."
- "So then, where's that Totem Pokémon?"
- "This is the final Totem Pokémon for the final trial of your island challenge. ♪"
- "I hope you're ready for your toughest totem yet!"
- After defeating the Totem Pokémon
- "That's a pretty great picture. You and your <Pokémon>!"
- "You didn't just beat the captains to get all their petals."
- "You even beat the Totem Pokémon that came to check out the Rainbow Flower we made!"
- "You are just too great, <player>. You're a great Pokémon Trainer!"
- "So here you go! A piece of Fairium Z for you!"
- "Watch this real close!"
- "You've finished all your trials, so the only thing left for you is your grand trial!"
- "It'll be little Hapu's first grand trial. That's pretty exciting."
In the anime
Mina debuted in SM084. She was first seen painting at the Hau'oli City marketplace, where she encountered Ash, Professor Kukui, and Professor Burnet. With the help of her partner Pokémon, Ribombee, Mina helped Ash decipher the paintings his Poipole always draws. She concluded that they were actually its way of expressing its love for Ash and other things.
Days later, Mina was approached by the Team Skull members Tupp, Rapp, and Zipp, who demanded that she give her Ribombee to them. Mina agreed, but only if they could best her in a drawing competition. Despite Mina deciding to call it a draw since she liked the art Team Skull made, Tupp was angered by her criticisms of his drawing and chose to battle her instead. With the assistance of Ash, who arrived in time to help, Mina easily defeated the Team Skull Grunts and forced them to retreat. Afterwards, Ash asked Mina to help translate a different set of drawings Poipole made, and Mina accepted.
| Ribombee is Mina's only known Pokémon. It was first seen with its Trainer at the Hau'oli City marketplace. Later, it helped fight off Team Skull, who attempted to take it away from Mina. With its Pollen Puff, Ribombee easily defeated Rapp's Zubat. Due to them having spent so much time together, Mina can also understand what emotions Ribombee senses.
Ribombee's only known move is Pollen Puff.
- Mina is 5'6" (168 cm) tall.
|| マツリカ Matsurika
|| From 茉莉花 matsurika, Arabian jasmine
|| From jasmine
|| From Oleaceae, the family that contains jasmine
|| Same as her Japanese name
| Italian, Spanish
|| Similar to her Japanese name
|| 말리화 Mallihwa
|| From 말리화 (茉莉花) mallihwa, Arabian jasmine
| Chinese (Mandarin)
|| 茉莉 Mòlì
|| From 茉莉 mòlì, jasmine
| Chinese (Cantonese)
|| 茉莉 Muhtleih
|| From 茉莉 muhtleih, jasmine
|| Майна Mayna
|| Transcription of English name