From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
- Black (game) redirects here. For the game titled "Pokémon Black Version", see Pokémon Black and White Versions.
|| This article is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this article to add missing information and complete it.
Reason: Quotes (as NPC).
Hilbert (Japanese: トウヤ Touya) is the male player character in Pokémon Black and White. His female counterpart is Hilda.
In the core series
As the playable character
Hilbert is a boy who lives in Nuvema Town, as do his childhood friends, Cheren and Bianca. If chosen as the player, he will receive a starter Pokémon and a Pokédex from Professor Juniper. After setting off on his Pokémon journey at the same time as Cheren and Bianca, Hilbert will at some point be asked by Fennel to do some sort of quest; in return for its completion, Hilbert will receive a C-Gear.
As well as encountering and battling his childhood friends at various points during his journey, Hilbert will also meet a young man known as N, who wishes to create separate worlds for humans and Pokémon. In order to achieve his goals, he and Hilbert will battle several times during the course of the game. Hilbert also battles Team Plasma at various stages of his journey. Ultimately, Hilbert is recognized as a hero by Reshiram or Zekrom, depending on the version.
As a non-playable character
If not chosen as the player, Hilbert appears as the player's partner in the Battle Subway when choosing to ride the Multi-Train. Two of the following Pokémon are picked from the corresponding list, depending on what the player wants him to base his team on. If the player chooses "A balance between the two," Hilbert's Pokémon are chosen from either list.
In Black 2 and White 2, the protagonist of Black and White was said to be searching for N in a faraway region and has not yet returned home. His mom mistakes the player for him.
Battle Subway Pokémon
This is a list of all the Pokémon used in the Multi Train and Super Multi Train battles. Each Pokémon has a non-Hidden Ability that, along with gender, is randomly selected. These Pokémon will always have the maximum 31 individual values across every stat and the full 510 effort values evenly distributed (rounding down) among two or three stats.
In spin-off games
- Main article: Hilbert (Masters)
- Main article: Hilbert (game)/Quotes
In the anime
In Pokémon Generations
Hilbert briefly appeared in The King Returns, where he arrived at the Giant Chasm on the back of his Zekrom to help N battle Ghetsis and White Kyurem.
Much like the other player characters depicted in Pokémon Generations, Hilbert doesn't have any lines of dialogue.
In the GOTCHA! music video
Hilbert briefly appeared in GOTCHA!.
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
Black, Hilbert's Pokémon Adventures counterpart
- Main article: Black (Adventures)
Black from Pokémon Adventures is based on Hilbert, whose dream is to be the Champion of the Unova Pokémon League.
In the Be the Best! Pokémon B+W manga
- Main article: Monta
Monta from Be the Best! Pokémon B+W is based on Hilbert.
In the Pocket Monsters BW: Meetings with the Legends manga
- Main article: Touya (MWL)
Touya from Pocket Monsters BW: Meetings with the Legends is based on Hilbert.
In the Pocket Monsters BW: The Heroes of Fire and Thunder manga
- Main article: Shin (FAT)
Shin from Pocket Monsters BW: The Heroes of Fire and Thunder is based on Hilbert.
In the Pocket Monsters B2 W2 ~ A New Legend ~ manga
- Main article: Hiro
Hiro from Pocket Monsters B2 W2 ~ A New Legend ~ is based on Hilbert.
In the Pocket Monsters BW manga
Black from Pocket Monsters BW is based on Hilbert.
- Prior to the release of Black and White, pre-release media and most fans referred to Hilbert as "Black".
- English demos of Black and White referred to Hilbert as "Blair".
- English pre-release screenshots referred to Hilbert as "Kuro" (the Japanese word for "black").
- From a bird's-eye view, Hilbert's hat looks like a Poké Ball.
- Unused text in Black 2 and White 2 indicates that Hilbert and Hilda were originally planned as opponents at the Pokémon World Tournament.
- Hilbert and Hilda are the first player characters in the core series games not to have pre-programmed names either by choice or in case one isn't specified.
- In the May 2010 volume of CoroCoro Comics, it was stated that Hilbert and Hilda are older than previous player characters, but it is not known how much older they actually are.
- According to game scenario author Toshinobu Matsumiya, Hilbert and Hilda were initially visualized to be at the age of 16.
|| トウヤ Tōya
|| From 闘 tō (fight)
|| From Hilbert, a male name derived from the Germanic element hild (battle) and beorht (bright)
|| From war
|| From lucha (fight)
|| From Ludwig, a Germanic name derived from the Old High German words hluth (famous) and wig (war)
|| From Alcides, an alternate name for Heracles
|| 투지 Tuji
|| From 투지 (鬪志) tuji (fighting spirit)
| Chinese (Mandarin)
|| 鬥也 Dòuyě
|| From 鬥 dòu / dau (fight)
| Chinese (Cantonese)
|| 鬥也 Dauyáh