From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Professor Burnet (Japanese: バーネット博士 Dr. Burnet) is a researcher that debuted in Pokémon Dream Radar. Her research specializes in the relationship between Pokémon and other dimensions.
In the games
Professor Burnet studies the Interdream Zone, the space between dreams and reality. She is friends with Fennel from college; they became friends because they were both interested in studying dreams.
Burnet made her core series debut in Pokémon Sun and Moon, where she is revealed to have married Professor Kukui of Alola. Three months prior to the start of the story, Burnet found Lillie lying on a beach, with Nebby in her bag. Ever since, she and her husband have been helping Lillie find out more about Nebby. After the player completes the three island trials of Akala Island, Kukui invites the player to the Dimensional Research Lab in Heahea City, where she has been researching the strange phenomena occurring in the Alola region, the Ultra Wormhole and the Ultra Beasts.
|| This section is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this section to add missing information and complete it.
Reason: Pokémon Dream Radar.
- "So you're the new researcher? I appreciate you coming along. I'm Burnet! I research dreams. As part of that research, I'm investigating a certain place. I'm really fascinated by something I saw there--the mystery Pokémon!"
- "So! I want you to help me with my research! Whatcha think? Try tapping Start Search on the device in your hand."
- Start Search: Basic Extension: "OK! Now we're ready. Let's be on our way!"
- When searching for the first time
- "Hee hee! So, whatcha think? I had you dive right in without an explanation, but... right now, you're looking at the space between dreams and reality. It's called the Interdream Zone. Let's start by having a look around!"
- "So, you see a fluffy object floating there like a cloud, right? That's a Dream Cloud! They materialize in different cycles and create energy. And what I'd like you to help me with is collecting that energy! I want you to gather the Dream Orbs made by the Dream Clouds. So, whatcha think? I'll tell you how to gather them... Could you align the crosshairs with a cloud in the center of the screen? When a cloud is in your sights, press Ⓐ!"
- "Well, how about that? You're amazing! That Beam isn't exactly easy to get the hang of, but... not only were you blasting away with ease, but your aim was spot on, too! Can you keep it up and hit the remaining clouds with the Beam? The number of clouds left is next to the cloud icon on the Touch Screen. Oh yeah! The orbs coming from the clouds are called Dream Orbs. To gather them, hit them with the Beam. Use Ⓐ, just like before."
- "Could it be? That light might be a Pokémon. Sometimes Pokémon slip into the Interdream Zone. Would you help it out? You have to catch it first. Use Ⓐ to fire the Beam and stall its movement. Then, press Ⓐ repeatedly. Keep hitting it with the Beam until the meter fills up. If you take too much time, it will run away."
- "If you catch a Pokémon, I want you to return it to the real world. Could you send the Pokémon you catch to the Trainer you trust most?"
- "That Pokémon just now! That's it! Wow! Encountering it on your first search is just amazing! THAT is the mystery Pokémon I've been looking for!"
- "Great work! I'm so happy to have met you! I really want your help. First, let's collect the Dream Orbs I need for my research! Dream Clouds usually appear at a rate of one every five minutes. They don't form while you're researching, though. So visit the Interdream Zone after many Dream Clouds have appeared. So, whatcha think? I'll be counting on you from here out."
- When only 1 Dream Cloud appear in a search
- "Dream Clouds appear to generate more energy when in a big cluster. Maybe you should search when many clouds have appeared. When there aren't many clouds, they don't leave as many Dream Orbs. Patience is important. Take it easy. This should feel like a leisurely stroll in the Unova region. Take some time between searches."
- After selecting "Next search"
- "Thanks for all your hard work"
- "My inventions haven't been well received by the researchers..."
- "It seems something about my devices is always a little odd."
- "Welcome back!"
- Any of the followings
- "Are you used to operating the device now? To catch a Pokémon, fire the Beam with Ⓐ and hit it. Then, press Ⓐ, and keep hitting it with the Beam."
- "Thanks for the hard work! Are you making sure to eat?"
- "Dreams can lead to breakthroughs and discoveries sometimes. Maybe dreams are important because the reins are taken off the cerebrum."
- "I feel good leaving those Pokémon with a Trainer that you trust! Have you tried sending them research data yet? I can't wait to hear about the adventures those Pokémon have."
- "I think I'll have a little ice cream to cool my head... Ice cream... That ice-cream cone Fennel brought was sure delicious."
- "Your friend is in the Unova region, right? I hear there's a Gym Leader there called Roxie, and she's really tough! But I guess when it comes down to it, I'm a researcher, not a battler!"
- "If you encounter a quick Pokémon, use the Dragnet Charge. It slows them down so they're easier to catch."
- "The Dream Orbs you're gathering are vital to my research. They're a sample from the Interdream Zone. Thanks for always gathering them. It's a big help!"
- "At the current Visoscope level, all of the Dream Clouds will appear... in the time it takes for the sun to look like it has moved 30 degrees. So, in about 120 minutes!"
- "Thanks for all your efforts!"
- Any of the followings
- "Hold down Ⓐ to fire the Beam in rapid succession."
- "It's nice of you to work so hard, but make sure to get lots of sleep!"
- "I'm shocked how much my research has progressed since you arrived!"
- "Are dreams just noise? Or do they have a vital meaning for us?"
- "I really want some fresh air. Maybe I'll go for a walk."
- "Could people and Pokémon dream to process strange experiences? Or do we dream because sleep puts the brain in a special state? There are still many mysteries."
- "Are you using support items? They make it much easier to catch Pokémon, so try them out!"
- "When I counted them, I found out that you gathered... <number> Dream Orbs! Thanks for bringing me so many!"
- "My research is moving along! Science isn't about the absolute... it's about always moving forward into the next phase! That's why it's endlessly fascinating."
- "Thanks for all your efforts!"
- "I'm working on an extension for catching Therian Forme Pokémon... Development is moving right along. I'm over halfway done!"
- "Welcome back!"
- "Thanks to you, the Eureka Extension β is almost done! I'm making my final adjustments. I can't wait to see how it turns out!"
- When selecting the Development Lab (first time)
- "I want to upgrade the device you're using, but I need Dream Orbs. I will be able to make more progress if I have a lot, so keep 'em coming!"
- "For that I will need <number> Dream Orbs. OK?"
- YES: "OK! Just leave it to me!"
- "Now, everything is ready to go! Anything else you're interested in?"
- When selecting Development Lab (subsequent times)
- "Whatcha think? Want to try out one of the inventions I'm developing?"
- When Retrieval Extension is unlocked
- "Thanks to you my research is moving along nicely. And I completed a new extension! The Retrieval Extension makes it easier to find Pokémon. If you'd like, use it the next time you go out on a search."
- When Eureka Extension α is unlocked
- "Thanks to you, I finally finished this extension! With this, you will be able to find the mystery Pokémon! I want you to do your best and catch it! If anyone can catch a Pokémon no one has caught before, it's you! I believe in you!"
- "I never would have guessed that the mystery Pokémon was Tornadus! I just did a lot of research on that Tornadus... The reason it looks different than it does in the real world is... it changed its Forme to match its environment. I'll call this Forme... Therian Forme! Those other two Pokémon I saw... they must have been Therian Forme Thundurus and Landorus. I'll get to work on extensions that will let you meet those two. I'll need lots of Dream Orbs, but you're here, so I'm not worried! I'm counting on you! Keep up the good work!"
- When Dowsing Extension is unlocked
- "An idea pooped into my head as I was watching you work. I made this new extension. The Dowsing Extension reacts to Pokémon that are holding items. Try it out the next time you go out to search."
- When Eureka Extension β is unlocked
- "I completed the extension! With this, you should be able to find a Therian Forme Pokémon. You caught Tornadus, so I'm sure you'll succeed this time, too! Good luck!"
- When Eureka Extension γ is unlocked
- "The extension is ready! If you search with this, the identities of all the Therian Forme Pokémon... will finally be clear. I really want you to catch it, but don't do anything crazy. I don't want you to get hurt! I mean... You're the only one here who is a decent shot with that Beam. Kidding...kidding. Sentimental stuff makes me a little embarrassed. I mean, you're one of my teammates, and you're very important to me. OK. I'm counting on you! See you when you get back!"
- "I knew you could do it! What you just caught now is Therian Forme Thundurus. What a foreboding appearance! How wonderful! I'm sure researching Therian Forme Pokémon is important. It'll be a big part of unlocking the mysteries of the Interdream Zone. I'm working on an extension to find Landorus, but I need Dream Orbs. I'm counting on you!"
- "Welcome back! Thank you so much! Excellent work! Therian Forme Landorus! I can barely take my eyes off it. What's more, researching these three Pokémon will not only... teach us much about the Interdream Zone... it will also shed light on many mysteries in the real world as well. It might change everything we know about dreams and reality. What you found for me may be a clue about a new dimension. This is a discovery for the history books. My research is going to get even more interesting. You've really gone above and beyond for me... but I'd be really happy if you'd come help when you have a little time... like during breaks from your research or something like that. I mean, no other researchers have instincts as good as yours. Whatcha think? Hee hee. I can't wait to see what you'll help me discover next!"
- When Simulator α, Simulator β, and Simulator γ are unlocked
- "I've been waiting for you. I came up with something neat... new simulators! I made them so we can research the traits of Tornadus and the others. If you'd like, use them like you'd use any other search extension. They need a lot of Dream Orbs to operate, though!"
- When Temporal Extension is unlocked
- "I had a sudden breakthrough and developed a new extension! It's called the Temporal Extension! Give it a try if you'd like!"
- When Spatial Extension is unlocked
- "I made a new extension between other projects. It's called the Spatial Extension! If you're interested, test it out."
- When Renegade Extension is unlocked
- "I made a strange extension. It's called the Renegade Extension! Its theme is alternate worlds! Give it a try!"
- When Rainbow Extension is unlocked
- "The Rainbow Extension is ready. Something good might happen! If you'd like, try it next time!"
- When Diving Extension is unlocked
- "I was inspired by the calm and by the rage of the sea. So I made the Diving Extension. Try it out next time."
- When Special Extension A is unlocked
- "The Special Extension A is ready to go!"
- "I made it when the idea popped into my head while playing with magnets."
- "If you'd like, give it a try."
- When Special Extension B is unlocked
- "When I was cleaning my drawer, I found the Special Extension B."
- "I made this extension a while ago, but if you want to, give it a try."
- When Special Extension C is unlocked
- "Hey, guess what? I just found the Special Extension C."
- "I think I might've been researching the rotation of the planet at the time."
- "If you'd like, try it during your next search."
- "These are the records of your work! Whatcha think about that?
- Dimensional Research Lab
- "Oh, hi!"
- "You're <player>, right? Lillie told me about you. She said you were the reliable sort."
- "Three months ago... I found Lillie lying on a beach. Cosmog in her bag also unconscious."
- "Hm? No Hau today?"
- "Good to see you again, Hau! It's been a while since I last saw you."
- "I'd be happy to! The mysteries of Alola, huh? Then you've got to mean..."
- "the Ultra Wormhole!"
- "It's extremely rare, but sometimes a hole opens in the sky over Alola. It appears that this rift leads to a different and unknown dimension."
- "The reason that people think there may be a mysterious dimension is because of the legends of fearsome Pokémon appearing from the Ultra Wormhole."
- "It's very weak as proof, but I can't ignore it. There is also plenty of evidence already in the Pokédex for the existence of different dimensions, right?"
- "Even normal wild Pokémon sometimes attack people, right? But the Pokémon that appeared from the Ultra Wormhole went way beyond that."
- "They were called Ultra Beasts... And they were feared. If the stories are to be believed, the guardian deities of the islands fought desperately against them."
- "But like I said, it's all legends and folktales. It's hard to know how much is true."
- "But I would be very happy if I could somehow unravel the mysteries of the Ultra Wormhole by studying the dimensional disturbances!"
- "We've recorded several known relationships between Pokémon and different dimensions in books. You can find them on the bookshelf in this lab."
- "Good luck! Olivia's house is past Diglett's Tunnel. It's in Konikoni City! But watch out for Team Skull!"
- Ruins of Life
- "Lillie got lost again, so I brought her here to you. She couldn't even find her way to the Tide Song Hotel on her own! She said she saw Team Skull and tried to avoid them. That's why she got lost."
- "Now I've gotta go. The Masked Royal has a match, and there's no way that I'm missing it!"
- "That Masked Royal... What do you think he looks like under that mask, anyway?"
- Dimensional Research Lab
- After clearing Olivia's Grand Trial
- "You defeated Olivia, didn't you? To commemorate your victory, I'll give you a special item!"
- "The item I just gave you is a Reveal Glass. It's a looking glass that changes the shape of Tornadus, Thundurus, and Landorus."
- "Mirrors can be scary, can't they? Sometimes after I work through the night, I look into the mirror and I seem to see a stranger staring back at me..."
In the anime
Professor Burnet debuted in SM044. She first appeared on TV, having won the Alola Lady Award and being noted as the first active researcher to win. She was later seen investigating the Altar of the Sunne alongside Lusamine, Wicke, and Faba, due to Ultra Aura being detected from that location. After returning empty-handed to Aether Paradise, Ultra Aura was detected on Melemele Island, the source being Nebby. As a result, Professor Burnet and the others headed over to Professor Kukui's house. There, she was introduced to Ash, and she told him about the legend of the Ultra Beasts and the possibility of Nebby being one.
Professor Burnet reappeared in a flashback in SM045. She appeared again in SM046, SM048, SM049, SM050, SM051, SM052, SM053, and SM054. She officially married Professor Kukui in SM055. She reappeared in SM056 and SM057.
This listing is of Burnet's known Pokémon in the anime:
| Munchlax is Professor Burnet's only known Pokémon. It first appeared in SM044, alongside its Trainer on Professor Kukui's TV screen, where Anna mentioned that Professor Burnet was the winner of the 15th annual Alola Lady award. It reappeared alongside its Trainer in SM046, as well as in SM048, SM049, SM052, SM055, SM056, and SM057.
None of Munchlax's moves are known.
| Voice actors
|| Rikako Aikawa
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
Professor Burnet in Pokémon Adventures
Professor Burnet in the eleventh chapter
Professor Burnet debuts in the Black 2 & White 2 chapter. She is first seen in a fantasy in PS541, where she was mentioned by Fennel, who states that she was a great help to her research on Dream Mist.
By the Sun & Moon chapter, Burnet had moved to the Alola region and married Professor Kukui. Three months prior to the start of the Sun & Moon chapter, Burnet found Lillie and a Pokémon lying unconscious on a beach. In PASM04, she is seen with Lillie at Professor Kukui's house, where they watch a tournament being held at an Iki Town festival on the television. Burnet was excited to see the Masked Royal battle against Sun in the first round, but is disappointed when he ends up losing.
Later, Burnet receives several Pokémon documents from Kukui while he is at the Dimensional Research Lab. As they talk, Burnet revealed that Nebby is actually the Legendary Pokémon Cosmog. Burnet suggests that Lillie may have been trying to keep Nebby away from someone, but she refuses to clarify who she was trying to escape from. To Kukui's surprise, Burnet suggests that he make Lillie his assistant, as it may help her begin to open up more.
Later, Burnet decided to take Lillie shopping in order to get her out of the house more. As they headed towards Hau'oli City's boutique, Burnet accidentally triggered painful memories of Lillie's past. Lillie's distress caused Nebby to fly out and begin clawing at the sky, creating a crack in the sky in the process. When Lillie eventually fainted, Nebby stopped and went down to check on her condition out of concern. Later that day, Burnet contacted Professor Kukui, Sun, Moon, and their friends and told them all about what happened to Lillie. With this information, everyone speculates that the various cracks seen around Alola were caused by Nebby and that Lillie must have been running away from some villains in order to keep Nebby from them. Worried that she may not be able to keep Lillie safe alone, Professor Kukui suggests Burnet meet up with him, Sun, and Moon at Ula'ula Island.
- Professor Burnet is 5'7" (170 cm) tall.
||バーネット博士 Dr. Burnet
||From burnet, the common name for the genus Sanguisorba.
||Same as Japanese name.
||From pimprenelle, salad burnet.
||Similar to Japanese name.
||From the genus Magnolia.
||From pimpinela, salad burnet.
||From Japanese name.
| Chinese (Mandarin)
|| 芭内特博士 / 芭內特博士 Bānèitè-bóshì
|| Transliteration of Japanese name.
| Chinese (Cantonese)
|| 芭内特博士 Bānoihdahk-boksih
|| Mandarin-based transliteration of Japanese name.