From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Lusamine (Japanese: ルザミーネ Lusamine) is a character introduced in Pokémon Sun and Moon. She is the head of the Aether Foundation. She is the only character in the games to have the Trainer class Aether President (Japanese: エーテルだいひょう Aether Representative).
In the games
Lusamine appears in Pokémon Sun and Moon. She is first seen in a picture of a magazine that the player character is reading during the intro sequence. She is formally introduced after the Akala Grand Trial, when Hau and the player travel to Aether Paradise.
As president of the Aether Foundation, Lusamine claims to love all Pokémon, be they native to the Alola region or not. While the player and Hau are conversing with her in the conservation area, an Ultra Wormhole appears, in which Nihilego emerges. After the player fights it, she claims she will find it and love it like the other Pokémon in her care. Once Hau mentions Lillie, she gives a surprised expression and tries to not acknowledge her, foreshadowing the later events that would unfold.
Towards the end of the game, Plumeria remarks to Lillie that Team Skull are not the only thieves in Alola, and that Lillie ought to return Cosmog. When Hau, Gladion, and the player arrive at Aether Paradise, all the employees are suddenly hostile to them, including Faba, who had locked down Lusamine's office under her orders. There are also a number of Team Skull grunts present, implying an alliance.
When the player leaves Hau and Gladion to deal with Guzma, they find Lillie in the same room as Lusamine, with the former begging Lusamine to come to her senses. Lusamine is not fazed by it, and berates Lillie for leaving her and claims she was never her daughter, before teleporting into another room via a pad hidden behind her mirror. Lillie and the player step on the pad too, and teleport into the room her mother went to. When they arrive, Lusamine taunts them to come closer. Afterwards, Lillie and the player are horrified to see that she has a collection of frozen Pokémon scattered about the room, "protected" for all eternity.
Hau arrives, together with Gladion. Lusamine is disgusted by his arrival, as he had stolen Type: Null and ran away from her. He does not try to reason with her, deciding it is impossible at this point. Lusamine, frustrated, exclaims that she gave all her love to her children, only for them to run away. Cosmog is then revealed to be inside a cube, in which Lillie pleads her not to use its power, as it would die. Lusamine, however, acts as though she does not consider her statements, and uses the cube anyway, opening up a large wormhole in the room, and multiple others on the various islands of Alola. Guzma arrives, asking Lusamine whether the experiment was a success, and Nihilego materializes behind her as well. After being defeated by the player, Lusamine and Guzma jump into the wormhole and disappear with said portal alongside Nihilego.
She is later encountered in Ultra Space, where Guzma has given up working with her because of his newfound fear since Nihilego possessed him, and claims she is immune to reason at this point. Lillie disagrees, and runs off to confront her mother. When they arrive at an open terrace, she is nowhere to be found, only to phase into visibility and appear sitting on a rock in front of them. Lillie continues what she was saying to her mother back at Aether Paradise, along with trying to persuade her to come back to Alola.
Guzma turned out to be correct, as Lusamine says she would rather not come back to Alola, and that Lillie "could not even be that stupid". She boasts about how Ultra Space is beautiful, that Nihilego is all she cares about now, and that Lillie became ugly after leaving her and making friends with the player. Lusamine then turns her attention to the player, in which she immediately battles them, but not before merging with a Nihilego to become a pseudo-beast herself.
After losing, Lusamine becomes enraged and attempts to strike Lillie with one of many large tentacles she has control of. Lillie calls out to SolgaleoS/LunalaM, who proceeds to roar and emit energy at Lusamine, separating her from Nihilego. Before passing out, she asks Lillie when she started becoming beautiful. At the end of the game, Lillie tells the player she believes Lusamine is getting a bit better, having even tried to go to the player's celebration, and that she has been gently trying to help her mother understand the error of her ways. Lillie then leaves for the Kanto region to seek treatment for her mother from Bill (who, like Lusamine, has been combined with a Pokémon before) in the hopes that it will heal her of the last of Nihilego's poisons.
When spoken to after the victory celebration, Gladion speculates that Lusamine's fixation with the Ultra Beasts may have started when her husband (and Lillie and Gladion's father) Professor Mohn vanished during his study of the Ultra Wormholes and, in an ill-fated attempt to find him, she eventually grew obsessed with the Ultra Beasts to the point of monomania. Lillie's reminiscences on Exeggutor Island show that she recalls that her mother was once a kind and compassionate woman who genuinely cared for her children.
Lusamine's Pokémon are kept in Ultra Balls.
| Lusamine is seen sending out this Nihilego from a Beast Ball before battling the player, willingly letting the Ultra Beast merge with her body. After the combined Lusamine is defeated in battle, Nebby separates the two, and Nihilego returns to the Beast Ball, which falls next to Lusamine. It is unknown if this Nihilego was left behind in Ultra Space as the player and the others escaped.
None of Nihilego's moves are known.
|| Pokémon Sun and Moon
Kept frozen in trophy room
- Aether Paradise
- "My sweet Pokémon... I promise I'll keep you safe... I'll protect you with my love..."
- "You must be <player> and Hau. Welcome to Aether Paradise. The Aether Foundation's own private island."
- "I am the president of the foundation. But please, just call me Lusamine. I'm so glad that we got to meet."
- "I'm glad there are people like you, who travel the islands to learn more about Pokémon... But there are also those unfortunate people who harm Pokémon for their own selfish reasons or even for profit."
- "And that is why I am here. I will be like a mother to all of those poor Pokémon and shower them with love."
- "Even Pokémon from distant worlds, far from the Alola region, are worthy of my love."
- "Oh, you sweet boy! I'm already over 40!"
- "Oh, you! The right style does wonders, you know. And, Hau, your style is a bit wanting, hm? I'll have to take you out sometime and help you pick a smashing outfit."
- "Oh, don't you worry. You just leave everything up to me. Trust me—children would all be much happier if they'd only listen to the adults around them."
- "Did you come... from another world?"
- "You poor creature..."
- "So, it's true... I still need that Pokémon. I need to get it back."
- "That creature we just saw was undoubtedly an Ultra Beast... An unknown being from another dimension that suddenly appears from the Ultra Wormhole... It looked like it was suffering... Like it pained it to be in this strange place... I can't bear to see that happen! I will save it. And I will love it!"
- "Thank you...both of you... Thank you so much!"
- "Wicke. These two are still in the middle of their island challenge, aren't they? Please deliver them to their next island."
- "I will go to check that none of our poor resident Pokémon came to any harm. And I need to speak with Mr. Faba about exactly what happened downstairs."
- "And of course... I will have to start preparing the foundation for our newest and perhaps greatest duty yet: the protection of the Ultra Beasts!"
- Lusamine's room
- "Ah, <player>. It's been a while since we last saw you..."
- "Hmm. So you know one another?"
- "A gifted young Trainer like <player>... And he/she bothers with someone like you?"
- "How disappointing."
- "My... You do say such incomprehensible things."
- "Calling me mother? I don't have any children! Certainly not any wretched children who would run off and reject my love!"
- "So tell me how you'll save that Pokémon. What can you do, Lillie? You failed to convince me to listen to you. You don't even have the strength of a Trainer. The only thing that you've ever done on your own is steal someone else's research material!"
- "You're not beautiful enough for my world... but fine. Since you're here anyway, you can watch me summon my sweet beast. And then...you can leave."
- "You're right... it probably will die. Because I'm going to force it to use its power whether it wants to or not!"
- "Maybe if you really had been a daughter to me, I would have listened to you... Too bad."
- Trophy room
- "Hurry. This way."
- "What do you think? It's my private collection. My precious babies... They will all be preserved for eternity here."
- "But my poor beast... What confusion, what rage must it feel, arriving in this strange world? It would not be right to confine its feelings in such a small case as these ones... It will need to express itself. I think I will let it express all its fury upon the Alola region as it will!"
- "Ah. Sweet Hau. So you came, too?"
- "Hmph. And Gladion. Must you be so untidy?"
- "The daughter who stole my Cosmog from me and the son who took my Type: Null! All I ever did was give you two all the love I had, and all you did was betray me! You have no right to ask for my attention now!"
- "Perhaps once we were... Sweet Hau. But those wretches beside you left me."
- "But it doesn't matter now. None of that matters now!"
- "I was able to open the Ultra Wormhole using just the gases we'd extracted from Cosmog when it was in Aether Paradise, wasn't I?"
- "But now I have Cosmog itself inside this crate here... If I use its entire body, how many Ultra Wormholes will I be able to open? How many sweet beasts will come to me then?"
- "Watch... I will open the Ultra Wormhole for you... Come to me, my sweet beast!"
- "You see! All over Alola!"
- "Ugh... Must you be so noisy, even inside there? What an annoying Pokémon. The only thing I need from you is your power!"
- "But I will admit... it looks like that power has served me well."
- "There should be plenty of beautiful beasts appearing all around Alola as we speak!"
- "Look! On Akala and Poni... Even on Melemele Island!"
- "Ho ho ho ho!"
- "Hee hee! My sweet beast."
- "You're right..."
- "Guzma. Quiet those children for me. I don't want to hear from them again."
- "What a disappointment... To think that you are all so small-minded..."
- "You're going to startle my sweet beast! <Player>... it looks like I'll need to silence you first."
- "How...how can you be so awful!"
- "All that I want is my precious beast! I don't care about any of the rest of you!"
- "No! The Ultra Wormhole is disappearing..."
- "Guzma. With me."
- "We will catch the beast using the Beast Ball that we've developed here."
- Ultra Space
- "Look at it... The world of my Ultra Beasts... A world where the only thing that exists is the love between Nihilego and myself. So beautiful... So delicious... This is the real paradise!"
- "And yet you! Why must you continue to pester me?! I am sick of you. Sick through and through! Who told you that you could come here, to the perfect, beautiful world of my beasts and me?"
- "Just leave. I don't need you here... I don't need you any longer!"
- "Look around you! Look at this beautiful world that I've finally come to! You want me to go back to that world? That's what you've come to bother me for? Even you cannot be that stupid!"
- "What...? And why shouldn't I!"
- "I can live here in a world filled with only the things that I love! And I will live here!"
- "I don't care if you are my child or not!"
- "I don't care if you were loyal to me or not!"
- "I don't care if you're the rarest Pokémon there is in the world or not!"
- "If you're not beautiful enough to be worthy of my love, then I don't NEED you!"
- "That's right! All I need to exist in my world are the things that I want to have with me! Everything else is just a bother to me!"
- "Terrible? Me? How am I different from any Pokémon Trainer, like your little "friend" there? What do you do with a Pokémon you can't use? You remove it from your party, as you please."
- "Enough with this useless talk, Lillie! I will never forgive you for stealing Cosmog from me. Never!"
- "Back when you were small, you would listen to everything I said, without question. For a time, even you were adorable to me!"
- "But you changed. You've become ugly. Ever since you met this boy/girl <player>... and learned to defy your own mother! <Player>! You hateful little Trainer! How dare you intrude upon this world that was meant for Nihilego and me? It is not to be borne! And with Nihilego's power, I will show you how wrong you were to come here!"
- "... ... ..."
- "When did you...start becoming beautiful?"
In the anime
Lusamine first appeared in a photograph in Lillie's Egg-xhilarating Challenge! with her children Lillie and Gladion. The same photograph appeared again in A Glaring Rivalry!.
She made her first physical appearance in SM044. She, along with Professor Burnet, Wicke, and Faba, investigated the Altar of the Sunne, due to Ultra Aura being detected from that location. However, they were unable to find anything. Later, at the Aether Paradise, Ultra Aura was detected on Melemele Island, with the source being Nebby. As a result, Lusamine and the others headed to Professor Kukui's house. There, she was happy to reunite with her daughter, and she also introduced herself and her staff to Ash. After learning about Ash's dream about Solgaleo and Lunala, she initially suggested taking Nebby back to the Aether Paradise. However, she eventually decided to entrust the Pokémon to Ash after hearing about his achievements in Alola.
She appeared in a flashback in SM045 and physically reappeared in SM046.
In the anime, Lusamine is rather cheerful and likes to tease others. She treats Lillie like a baby and doesn't seem to understand her daughter's feelings. For instance, Lusamine evolved her Clefairy into Clefable despite Lillie preferring Clefairy as it was, with the two arguing about which one was "cuter".
| Clefairy → Clefable
| Clefable appeared in a fantasy in SM044, in which Lillie revealed how Lusamine had evolved it from a Clefairy with a Moon Stone.
None of Clefable's moves are known.
| Herdier was first seen in SM046.
None of Herdier's moves are known.
|| Voice actor
|| 木下紗華 Sayaka Kinoshita
- Lusamine is the first female main antagonist in the core series.
- The merged form of Lusamine and Nihilego may be based on Turritopsis dohrnii, a species of jellyfish that is biologically immortal and can revert to a young, immature state if it is too old or stressed.
- During the second battle against Lusamine, all of her Pokémon except Bewear have angry facial expressions instead of their usual expressions.
|| ルザミーネ Lusamine
|| From Balsamine (German for garden balsam)
|| From her Japanese name
|| Partial anagram of balsamine (garden balsam)
|| From Balsamine (garden balsam) and ἄνθος ánthos (Greek for flower)
| Italian, Spanish
|| From balsamina (garden balsam)
|| 루자미네 Rujamine
|| Similar to Japanese name
| Chinese (Mandarin)
|| 露莎米奈 Lùshāmǐnài
|| Transliteration of Japanese name
| Chinese (Cantonese)
|| 露莎米奈 Louhsāmáihnoih
|| Mandarin-based transliteration of Japanese name
|| Лузамин Luzamin
|| Transcription of English name
|| ลูซามิเน่ Luzamine
|| Transcription of Japanese name
|| 以太理事長 Yíhtaai Léihsihjéung
|| 以太理事長 / 以太理事长 Yǐtài Lǐshìzhǎng
|| Prezidentka nadace*|
Prezidentka Aether Foundation*
|| Présidente d'Æther
|| Aether Alapítvány elnöke
|| Direttrice Æther
|| 에테르대표 Etereu Daepyo
|| Prezes fundacji Aether*|
Prezes Fundacji Aether*
|| Presidenta Æther