- Fennel redirects here. For the valley featured in the anime, see Fennel Valley.
Art from Pokémon Black and White
|Hair color||Dark blue|
|Games||Black and White, Black 2 and White 2, Dream World|
|Anime debut||Dreams by the Yard Full!|
|English voice actor||Therese Plummer|
|Japanese voice actor||Maria Kawamura|
Fennel (Japanese: マコモ Makomo) is a non-player character in the Generation V core series games. She is a friend of Professor Juniper who specializes in studying Pokémon Trainers and Pokémon dreams. She is sometimes referred to as Doctor Fennel (マコモ博士 Dr. Makomo).
In the games
In Black and White, Fennel is first mentioned in Accumula Town when Professor Juniper asks the player to meet her in Striaton City. It is later revealed that the two are friends from college. After obtaining the Trio Badge, Fennel awards the player with HM01 (Cut), before asking the player to bring her some Dream Mist from the Dreamyard. She gives the player the C-Gear after helping her obtain the Dream Mist by rescuing a Munna from Team Plasma.
Fennel is the guide to the Pokémon Dream World, introducing new players to its features. In Pokémon Dream Radar, Professor Burnet mentions that she is friends with Fennel from college; they became friends because they were both interested in studying dreams.
Fennel's Munna, (nicknamed ドリーム Dream in the Japanese version of the site) is seen when the player uses the demo version of the Pokémon Dream World. Having no Pokémon of their own to send to the Dream World, they are instead accompanied by Dream. She has a Docile nature, was caught in a Premier Ball, and is at level 10.
|Debut||Pokémon Dream World|
- Outside Pokémon Gym
- "Hey there! I'm Fennel. Professor Juniper asked me to give you something. Please follow me!"
- At her house, before receiving the Dream Mist
- "You're going to meet all of the Pokémon in the Unova region. Am I right? Oh, the stairs are right here!"
- "My room is upstairs here. Come on, go upstairs!"
- "So like I said, I'm Fennel, and as you can see, I'm a scientist. In fact, the subject I'm researching is Trainers! Professor Juniper is my friend from college. She asked me to help you guys."
- "So! I'll give you something to help you. This is a Hidden Machine for you!"
- "There are some moves that a Pokémon can use even when it is not fighting! With this Hidden Machine, you can teach your Pokémon a move called Cut. It can cut down a small tree. And you can use the Hidden Machine as many times as you want, like a TM. Isn't that great? But it's difficult to make a Pokémon forget a hidden move once it learns it."
- "And I'd like to ask you a favor, too! There is a place called the Dreamyard on the outskirts of Striaton City. I'd like some of the Dream Mist that a Pokémon there called Munna gives off. With that, I'll be able to use Game Sync to collect save files of various Trainers!"
- At her house, after receiving the Dream Mist
- "Ta-da! Thanks to you, I got some Dream Mist, and now I can collect save files of various Trainers! Thank you very much! As a token of my appreciation, I will give you this C-Gear to use! The C-Gear is a device related to communications, such as Infrared Connection or Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection."
- If the player turns on the C-Gear: "You see! The C-Gear was activated, and that screen showed up! If you touch the "?" icon at the bottom-right of the screen, you can read about the C-Gear."
- If the player does not turn on the C-Gear: "If you want to turn on the C-Gear, touch the Power symbol at the bottom right of the screen. Then, after turning on the power, if you touch the "?" icon at the bottom right of the screen, you can read about the C-Gear."
- "About Game Sync... I'd like to explain a little more about the system to collect Trainers' save files. Do you have time to learn more?"
- No: "I am sorry! I am so happy, so I will explain about it! Because, thanks to you, we can do a great thing!"
- "Now Game Sync can retrieve memories of sleeping Pokémon using Dream Mist! That's right! We can collect save files of Trainers from all over the world!"
- "What's more, we learned that if you use Game Sync to make a Pokémon sleep, it will have dreams. Then, when you wake up that Pokémon, its dream becomes the reality in a space called Entralink in the middle of the Unova region."
- "Isn't Game Sync interesting? If you like, please send your save file. I've summed up the details in the PC, so please check it if you get a chance!"
- At her house, after using Game Sync for the first time
- "Oh, thank you! You also sent your save file. I saw it while I was researching Trainers! Isn't Game Sync great?"
- "I couldn't wait, so I came over! ...Is that Musharna?!"
- "Did something happen?"
- "I think I followed that... See, Musharna evolves from Munna. So, seeing Munna in trouble, it used its power-- making dreams into reality-- to save Munna. Which means...wait a second!"
- "Is this Dream Mist?! With this, I can complete my research! You two come to my house later, OK?"
- Talked to the first time
- "Hi there, Trainer! My name is Fennel. I'm researching Pokémon Trainers! The Game Sync is a vital part of that research! Let me explain the system for collecting Trainers' save files. Game Sync is a system that retrieves the memories of sleeping Pokémon! That’s right! We can collect save files of Trainers from all over the world! What's more, we learn that if you use Game Sync to make a Pokémon sleep, it will have dreams. Then when you wake up that Pokémon, its dreams become the reality in a space called the Entralink in the middle of the Unova region. Amazing, right?! If you like, please send your save file. My assistant can explain the details, so if you're interested, please talk to her."
- Before using Game Sync
- "Game Sync is amazing, right?! If you like, please send your save file. My assistant can explain the details, so if you’re interested, please talk to her."
- After using Game Sync
- "Oh, thank you! You also sent your save file. I saw it while I was researching Trainers! Game Sync is amazing, right?"
the Dream World
|Overworld sprite from|
In the anime
Fennel debuted in Dreams by the Yard Full!. She used to work as a Scientist in the Dreamyard, once a research facility, along with her Munna and two unnamed scientists, researching a Musharna's Dream Mist for a cleaner energy source. However, due to people's evil thoughts and desires for the project (which were essentially dreams), Musharna was corrupted and its Dream Mist turned black, causing an energy overload and creating a giant explosion that destroyed the whole facility. Fennel, Munna, and the scientists survived the explosion, but there was no sign of Musharna. After the incident, she now lives as an independent scientist. She noticed Munna was sensing something, as its eyes started glowing pink, and rushed to the Pokémon Center, where she found Iris's Axew, who was put to sleep by Musharna's Dream Mist. She used Munna to wake it up by sucking off the Dream Mist to reveal Axew's dreams. The pink mist spread all around Striaton City and the group, now including Ash and his friends, rushed to the Dreamyard.
When they got there, they discovered that Team Rocket had awakened Musharna and captured it using one of their mechas, but Munna's Psychic and Pikachu's Volt Tackle destroyed the machine and they freed Musharna. After that, Fennel, Munna, and Musharna were reunited.
Fennel appeared again in Archeops In The Modern World!, where she, Munna, Musharna, and Professor Juniper revived an Archen from a Plume Fossil. The scientific breakthrough was already yielding results, with Archen's cry having never been documented before. Later Archen evolved into an Archeops. After Ash and his friends had stopped Team Rocket from stealing the First Bird Pokémon, she was reunited with other members of her species.
She appeared in a flashback in Explorers of the Hero's Ruin!.
Fennel is bright and gentle natured. She enjoys scientific discoveries and making breakthroughs, but is especially cautious of any ethical conflicts arising from her research following her Musharna's disappearance after the explosion at the Pokémon Energy Laboratory many years ago.
Fennel's Munna helps her with her research on the Dreamyard and Musharna. She first appeared when Team Rocket had awakened Musharna, when Fennel noticed her eyes were suddenly glowing pink. She was then seen with Fennel helping Iris's Axew wake up by sucking off the Dream Mist caused by Musharna and revealing Axew's dreams. Later Fennel, Munna, Officer Jenny, Iris, Ash, and Cilan to the Dreamyard, where they found Team Rocket had caused all the problems. Munna helped call for Musharna, which then later appeared.
|Debut||Dreams by the Yard Full!|
|Musharna was first used in the Dreamyard in research on its Dream Mist for a cleaner energy source. However, due to people's evil thoughts and desires on the project, Musharna's Dream Mist was corrupted, which caused an energy overload and destroyed the whole facility in a powerful explosion. It was finally awakened when Team Rocket used their special mecha in the site of the Dreamyard. Its Dream Mist spread far, reaching Striaton City. It was revealed that Fennel and Musharna were good friends.
Later it appeared to a group which included Fennel, Team Rocket, and Officer Jenny. Fennel tried to save it but Team Rocket's machine captured it; however Munna's Psychic combined with Pikachu's Volt Tackle destroyed the machine and freed it. Fennel, Munna, and Musharna were reunited immediately afterwards.
In Archeops In The Modern World!, Fennel used Musharna's Dream Mist to revive a fossilised Archen.
None of Musharna's moves are known.
|Debut||Dreams by the Yard Full!|
This article is missing information on this character's Japanese voice actor and English voice actor.
You can help by adding this information.
|Fennel worked with Professor Juniper to revive an Archen from a Plume Fossil in a lab between Castelia City and Nimbasa Town. Archen quickly proved to be a handful and refused to eat modern Pokémon food. She soon formed a bond with Ash and his Tranquill as they attempted to teach Archen to fly.
Some ancient seeds were attached to Archen when she was revived and were unknowingly planted in the lab. Cry after cry, the seeds grew and grew until the vines had made the lab completely inaccessible. The vines then began blossoming with fruit, and Archen quickly ran up and helped herself to her first meal since being revived. She then evolved into Archeops and in turn, gained the ability to fly. However, Team Rocket attempted to capture Archeops and, in the process, destroyed the habitat she had created. Luckily, a flock of Archeops had heard her call and arrived to take her with them. After saying a farewell to her new friends , Archeops flew off to live with her own kind.
|Debut||Archeops In The Modern World!|
In the manga
Fennel is a scientist who researches dreams and the energy they emit with her sister, Amanita. She is friends with Professor Juniper and went to university with her and Professor Burnet. Fennel is first seen in Fussing and Fighting, where she talks to Professor Juniper over a video phone to inform her about Dream Mist. The call is interrupted when Professor Juniper's Starter Pokémon begin fighting with each other.
In Battle at the Dreamyard, Black and White encountered Fennel and Amanita while traveling on their journey. After Black is attacked and knocked unconscious by an unseen Pokémon, Fennel and Amanita assist White carry him to Fennel's laboratory. Fennel explains to them that she is researching Pokémon Trainers and the energy that dreams possess. After learning that Black has lost his Munna—a Pokémon that is connected to her research—Fennel offers to help look for it.
They eventually find Black's Munna, Musha, in the hands of some Team Plasma Grunts at the Dreamyard. Black then battles the Team Plasma members and defeats them, rescuing his Musha in the process. With his Musha rescued, Fennel is able to take some of his Dream Mist for her research. Afterwards, Fennel and Amanita say their goodbyes to Black and White.
In A Wretched Reunion, Fennel travels to Route 6 alongside Professor Juniper. There, they witness Musha choosing to leave Black, which caused the latter to pass out from shock. In Dream a Little Dream, Fennel, Amanita, Professor Juniper, and White look after Black at the Pokémon League gates while they watch the tournament.
In Pink Slip, Fennel hides in her home alongside Amanita, Professor Juniper, Bianca, and Cedric Juniper to escape the Plasma Frigate freezing Unova's cities. There, Fennel reveals that after researching the Dream Mist for two years, she managed to discover another dimension known as the Pokémon Dream World. She hypothesizes that this may have been where Black went to after being sealed into the Light Stone. To confirm this, Fennel has White sent to the Entralink, where the real world and Dream World are most connected. The operation proves to be a success as White manages to find and obtain the Light Stone.
|This Watchog was used by Team Plasma to steal Black's Munna, nicknamed Musha. Eventually, Black manages to retrieve Musha and uses him to defeat the Watchog. Later, it was adopted by Fennel and Amanita.
None of Watchog's moves are known.
|Debut||Battle at the Dreamyard|
- Fennel's hair clip resembles the flowers decorating Munna's body.
- Fennel's appearance is heavily based on the female Scientists. She also shares her overworld sprite with them.
|Japanese||マコモ Makomo||From 真菰 makomo, Manchurian wild rice|
|French||Oryse||From the genus Oryza|
|German||Vivian||Possibly from the genus Avena|
|Italian||Zania||From the genus Zizania|
|Spanish||Oryza||From the genus Oryza|
|Korean||주리 Juri||From 줄 jul, Manchurian wild rice|
|Chinese (Mandarin)||真菰 Zhēngū||From 真菰 makomo. Contains 菰 gū, a name for the Manchurian wild rice.|
|Vietnamese||Makomo||Transliteration of her Japanese name|
|Non-player characters in the core series games|
|This game character article is part of Project CharacterDex, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on each character found in the Pokémon games.|