From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
- This article is about the move Waterfall. For the stage in Pokémon Battle Revolution, see Waterfall Colosseum.
Waterfall (Japanese: たきのぼり Waterfall Climb) is a damage-dealing Water-type move introduced in Generation I. It was HM07 in Generations II, III, and IV, HM05 in Generations V and VI, TM98 in Generation VII, and TM25 in Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee!. It is TR16 in Generation VIII. In Generation I, it was the signature move of Goldeen and Seaking.
Generations I to III
Waterfall does damage and has no secondary effect.
Waterfall can also be used as part of a Pokémon Contest combination, with the user gaining extra two appeal points if the move Rain Dance was used in the prior turn.
Generation IV onward
Waterfall now has a 20% chance of causing the target to flinch.
Outside of battle
In certain games, Waterfall requires a specific badge to use outside of battle; the Volcano BadgeFRLG, Rising BadgeGSCHGSS, Rain BadgeRSEORAS, Beacon BadgeDPPt, or Iceberg BadgeXY.
Waterfall is not a field move in this generation.
Generations II and III
Waterfall is now an HM that allows players to climb waterfalls. It is not required to go down waterfalls.
Generations IV to VI
Waterfall is now required to go down waterfalls.
Generation VII onward
Waterfall can no longer be used outside of battle.
Areas in which Waterfall is usable
||The target is hit with a blow packing the power of fish traveling up waterfalls.
||An aquatic charge attack.
||Attacks the foe with enough power to climb waterfalls.
||A powerful charge attack. It can also be used to climb a waterfall.
||Charges the target with speed to climb waterfalls.
||The user charges the foe at an awesome speed. It can also be used to climb a waterfall.
||The user charges the foe at an awesome speed.
||The user charges at the foe rapidly, and may make it flinch. It can also be used to climb a waterfall.*|
The user charges the foe at an awesome speed. It can also be used to climb a waterfall.*
||The user charges at the target and may make it flinch. It can also be used to climb a waterfall.*|
The user charges the target at an awesome speed. It can also be used to climb a waterfall.*
||The user charges at the target and may make it flinch. This can also be used to climb a waterfall.
|The user charges at the target and may make it flinch.
In other games
In Red Rescue Team and Blue Rescue Team, Waterfall is a move with base power of 16, 12 PP and 88% accuracy. The user attacks enemy in the front.
In Explorers of Time, Explorers of Darkness and Explorers of Sky, the move can now cause target to cringe, reflecting the change in main series.
||Has a chance (20%) of making the target flinch.
- Prior to Version 2.10.0 (from June 28, 2021): Has a small chance of making the target flinch.
Waterfall is Squirtle's Up Special move. It can be used by Squirtle as a recovery move and offers high knockback at the very end of the move.
In Pokémon GO, Waterfall is a Fast Attack that has been available since December 8, 2017.
- Trainer Battles
||Inflicts damage on the target.
||Inflicts damage on the target. It may also afflict the targeted enemy with a Cringe status condition, which makes its actions fail.
||てきポケモンに ダメージをあたえる しかも いっていのかくりつで ひるみじょうたいにして わざや こうげきを だせなくする
||It damages an enemy. It could also cause the Cringe status condition, which makes the enemy unable to attack or use moves.
||It damages an enemy. It could also make the enemy flinch.
In the anime
|The user charges the foe at an awesome speed. It can also be used to climb a waterfall.
||First Used In
||Finneon's eyes glow light blue and a column of water rises from the water, and Finneon swims up the column in a fast, spiraling motion.
||Staging a Heroes' Welcome!
In the manga
Pokémon Omega Ruby Crimson Passion and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire Indigo Wisdom
In other generations
Core series games
Side series games
Spin-off series games
Outside of battle
- Waterfall was the first move to gain HM status in a generation after it was introduced, doing so in Generation II. Only Rock Smash shares this trait, although it does not remain an HM in all subsequent generations.
- Waterfall is the only former signature move to later become an HM move.
- In Pokémon Platinum, there is a waterfall in Distortion World that can be climbed without having the move Waterfall or the Beacon Badge. This is likely due to the fact that gravity is not normal in this world; the player appears to be "surfing" on the waterfall's surface.
- In Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, Wallace gives out HM05 (Waterfall) instead of a TM. This is the only time a Gym Leader gives out an HM instead of a TM.
- In Generation VI, if the player uses Waterfall to go up or down a waterfall while riding on a Pokémon with a unique Surfing model (like Lapras), the screen will briefly be covered in a splash of water and then show the player at the other end of the waterfall, instead of showing the entire process.
- In Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness, on Battle CD 38, Anorith knows Waterfall, although it shouldn't be able to learn the move by any means.
In other languages