From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
The setting for the competition
The Ever Grande Conference (Japanese: ホウエンリーグ・サイユウ大会 Hoenn League Saiyu Conference) is the Hoenn League general championship competition. All Pokémon Trainers who have earned eight Gym Badges from the Hoenn region are eligible to enter.
It is held annually in Ever Grande City. Competing Trainers are housed in dorm rooms in small villages. In Eight Ain't Enough, Sebastian informed Ash about the tournament, which began in Saved by the Beldum and concluded in At the End of the Fray.
Registration for the conference closes at 5 pm on the day before the opening ceremonies. Trainers are given a Food and Restaurant Guide for the venue upon registration. Charles Goodshow, President of the League Competition Committee, oversees the opening ceremony.
Like at the Indigo Plateau Conference, the opening ceremonies consist of a torch lighting ceremony. Select Trainers run with the torch containing the flame of the Legendary Moltres and carry it to the top of the stadium, where it is used to light a much larger torch. The lighting of the large torch marks the official opening of the Ever Grande Conference.
The scoreboard for the Full Battles
Each Trainer participates in one preliminary battle. Only one Pokémon may be used during the battle and the winner advances to the qualifying rounds. The losing Trainers are eliminated from the competition.
During the qualifying rounds, the Top 256 Trainers take part in three Double Battles. If all three are won, the Trainer moves on to the finals.
The final rounds are a series of Full Battles with the Top 32 Trainers participating in the standard sudden-death tournament style. After a Trainer's first three Pokémon are defeated, there is a short intermission during which there is a field change. The winner of the Ever Grande Conference is the Trainer that wins all of the final rounds, meaning they must win five Full Battles in a row. When a winner has been decided, that winner is awarded a gold trophy from Mr. Goodshow.
Tyson, the winner, with the Ever Grande Championship Trophy
Trainers here participated in the conference either before or after the conference Ash participated in.
- With 256 Trainers known to be participating in the qualifying rounds alone, this is the largest Pokémon League Conference to date.
- This is the first League Conference to focus on any of Ash's rivals' battles.
- This is the League Conference where Ash had the most Full Battles, with a total of three against Katie, Morrison, and Tyson.
- This is the only League Conference:
- That featured Double Battles.
- That did not feature three-on-three battles.
- Where Ash's ranking does not change compared to the previous League he challenged, with his ranking being Top 8, same as the Silver Conference.
| Anime-exclusive Pokémon competitions