From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Olivia (Japanese: ライチ Lychee) is a character introduced in Pokémon Sun and Moon. She is the Kahuna of Akala Island and a member of the Alola Elite Four. She specializes in Rock-type Pokémon. She grants the Akala stamp to Trainers who defeat her.
In the games
In addition to being Akala's Kahuna, Olivia owns a jewelry and accessory store in her hometown of Konikoni City. Despite being chosen as a Kahuna at such a young age, Olivia maintains that she is just an average girl. The player eventually battles her in the grand trial of the Akala island challenge.
In Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, after Necrozma unleashes several Ultra Beasts around Alola, Olivia is briefly seen facing a BuzzwoleUS/PheromosaUM at the Ruins of Life.
Olivia is later revealed to be one of the Trainers Professor Kukui invited to act as the Elite Four of the Pokémon League of Alola.
Olivia's Pokémon are kept in Ultra Balls.
Grand trial battle
Pokémon League battle
Pokémon League rematch
Grand trial battle
Pokémon League battle
Pokémon League rematch
- Heahea City
- "Still haven't managed to find a shirt that goes with your lab coat, hmm, Kukui?"
- "I've told you you're gonna scare off strangers looking like that..."
- "Why hello there. Nice to meet you all—I'm Olivia."
- "I was on my way to see who was pulling into port and ran into Mallow here while she was out on a delivery."
- "And Mallow isn't the only captain here on Akala Island, of course."
- "So? What's the plan, kids?"
- "Yes...I suppose so."
- "OK, then. Enjoy your time on your island challenge, kids, along with your Pokémon. I'll be waiting for my chance to face you in battle when the time comes."
- "I'm looking forward to seeing what you've got!"
- "Let's go, Mallow."
- Diglett's Tunnel
- "Hmm? Oh, <player>, wasn't it?"
- "This cave really is something, y'know? It's overflowing with these Pokémon called Diglett, and they are getting really out of hand. Mediocre Trainers can't even get through!"
- "So, how's your island challenge going? Let me see which crystals you've earned."
- "Couldn't wait to come see me, hmm? But tackle Brooklet Hill first. It's right past Paniola Town."
- "OK, you're doing all right! How's that Waterium Z working out for you? Judging by how well you and your team get along, I bet you guys can do some real damage with it! OK, <player>, Kiawe's trial is next! Off to Wela Volcano Park you go!"
- "It looks like you've tackled everything but Akala Island's last trial in Lush Jungle! Just relax and have fun with it. Your Pokémon will be happier that way, too."
- Before heading to the Dimensional Research Lab
- "Oh hey, since you're here on Akala... Have you made it out to our Dimensional Research Lab yet? Traveling about for your island challenge is about more than just trials, you know. Have a look around while you're at it."
- After battling Lana, Kiawe and Mallow and visited the Dimensional Research Lab
- "Ooh, look at you, <player>! Nice work! I see you've even passed Mallow's trial. It's about time you had some fun with me! The Diglett have settled down, too. If you are as strong as you appear, you should be able to make it through this cave."
- "At the other end of it, you'll find Konikoni City. That's where my shop is. I'll see you there!"
- Ruins of Life
- "Oh, haven't I seen you with Kukui?"
- "Oh! Sorry, I never even asked your name before, did I? Tapu Lele summoned me here to clean up the ruins."
- "<Player>...thanks for getting to know the people and Pokémon of Alola."
- "All right, then! You've completed the trials of all three captains here on Akala Island. Now you face the grand trial of the kahuna—me! Get ready for your hardest Pokémon battle yet on Akala!"
- Not yet: "Fine! I don't want to win just because you weren't prepared well enough."
- I'd love to!: "Great! We're gonna give you guys everything we've got! And my partners are all adorable, rugged little Rock types!"
- "How lovely."
- "Diamonds only sparkle after coal is pushed to its absolute limit."
- "You guys are the best! Here. The Rock-type Z-Crystal... The Rockium Z is all yours!"
- "The Rock-type Z-Power...you have to move like this to draw it out! Watch carefully, because the hip movement is crucial!"
- "Use it well. The Rock type... It's hard. Sturdy. Rugged and physically strong. So nothing like me at all! I guess opposites really do attract."
- "By the way, Lillie, this might be a weird question, but... Why even come to the Ruins of Life if you're not a Trainer?"
- "You certainly don't see Pokémon like that every day. Tapu Lele may be called the guardian deity of our island, but it can also run wild at times. Regular Pokémon normally avoid the guardians at all costs... Unless they are strong enough to face the tapu themselves, that is."
- "Wait, that can't be right..."
- "I think your journey will hold many surprises. And I hope it holds many joys."
- "I'll take you back to town, Lillie. You're doing everything you can for your partner, even though you're not a Trainer. I like that kind of person, so I can't help but give you a hand!"
- Akala Outskirts
- "Ooh, the Aether Foundation? I'm not sure what he wants with you, <player>, but why not go find out? If you don't want to keep him waiting, then Charizard should get you there in no time. The Hano Grand Resort lies just over the bridge near the Dimensional Research Lab."
- "You're just Hau, right? And what's wrong with that! Who cares if you're Hala's grandson? Now show me what Hau can do!"
- Hano Grand Resort
- "As a kahuna, I look after all the trial-goers who come to my island. They're like my own children. Not that I've got any—I've never even gotten married."
- "Listen up, you two. Your greatest opponent is always yourself. Your greatest allies, the Pokémon beside you."
- Pokémon League
- Upon entering the Rock Chamber
- "Welcome to the Rock Chamber!"
- First battle
- "No introduction needed here. Time to battle me, Olivia!"
- "Really lovely...both you and your Pokémon..."
- "I don't see the same look in your eyes that I saw when we first met on Akala Island. Have you had some experiences that you'll carry with you in your heart forever? Well, it's time for you to move on."
- Upon entering the Hall of Fame for the first time
- "Yup! That's precisely why he/she and his/her Pokémon were able to combine that strength to emerge victorious!"
- Rematch battle
- "I won't be holding back! My Rock-type Pokémon will grind you to dust! Your puny little Pokémon are going to go down in one hit! Hah!"
- "Since you've become Champion, both you and your Pokémon have a certain level of polish."
- "What a spectacular Trainer you are! Now when the children of Alola finish their island challenge, they can visit the Pokémon League to try to become the Champion! The Trainers of Alola will become even stronger!"
- "You should get moving. You still have three more rooms left, right?"
- "Don't stop now. You still have two more rooms left, right?"
- "I'll stay here and wonder why you left me waiting so long for your challenge..."
- "Let me guess...you're the type who likes to save the most delicious bite for the end of the meal?"
- Konikoni City
- "I may be an island kahuna, but I'm also just a regular woman, you know."
- "Hi, can I get a table?"
- "Oh! Well, if it isn't little <player>! Well, as long as we're both here, why don't we sit together, hm? And I'll have whatever he/she is having."
- "This right here! This is it! I may live on my own, but sometimes even I need that familiar taste of home cooking. Dig in, <player>, before it gets cold!"
- "Ah... That was delicious. Maybe it's about time I find someone to cook for myself, huh? Oh! But look at your plate, <player>! You've barely touched a thing! Local flavors not your thing?"
- "This one's on me. I like to see a boy/girl with a good appetite. Here, take these freebie Heart Scales they're giving away."
- "See you around, <player>. I do love a boy/girl with a good appetite!"
|| This section is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this section to add missing information and complete it.
Reason: USUM Kahuna VS Model.
In the anime
While not mentioned by name, in The Guardian's Challenge, it is revealed that Kiawe completed Olivia's grand trial and received a Z-Ring from her prior to the start of the Sun & Moon series.
She partially appeared in Young Kiawe Had a Farm! during a flashback, when Kiawe told Ash that the Z-Ring and Firium Z he had received from Olivia was his grandfather's. She was also mentioned in A Glaring Rivalry! when Gladion revealed that he obtained his Rockium Z from completing her grand trial.
She appeared in person in The Island Whisperer!, where she traveled to Melemele Island and visited the Pokémon School, taking Ash and his classmates to visit Akala Island. She continued to appear during throughout Ash and his classmates' stay on the island, first in Treasure Hunt, Akala Style!, where she organized a class involving treasure hunting using Stoutland Search. During the treasure hunt, Lana found a Sparkling Stone, which Olivia took to be converted into a Z-Ring. The finished Z-Ring was returned to Lana in the next episode.
In Currying Favor and Flavor!, Olivia sent Ash and his classmates on a search for ingredients for the famous "Akala Curry". Ash was paired up with Mallow, with their search eventually leading them to Lush Jungle, where Ash was challenged by Totem Lurantis. After Ash defeated Lurantis, Olivia showed up and revealed that the entire search had actually been a part of Ash's trial, and he now qualified to take on her grand trial.
In Trials and Determinations!, she battled Ash in his Akala Island grand trial at the Ruins of Life, using Lycanroc and Probopass in a Double Battle against Rowlet and Rockruff. Despite their two opponents giving them a lot of trouble, Rowlet finally managed to defeat Probopass with Bloom Doom, only for Rockruff to impulsively attack and knock out Rowlet out of its desire to battle Lycanroc alone. Despite this setback, Rockruff was still able to defeat its evolved form, winning the battle for Ash. After the battle, Olivia gave Ash a Rockium Z and told him that Rockruff's behavior was a sign of it being ready to evolve soon.
In The Professors' New Adventure!, Olivia attended the wedding of Professor Kukui and Professor Burnet.
She reappeared in flashbacks in Some Kind of Laziness! and Not Caving Under Pressure!.
Olivia reappeared again in Full Moon and Many Arms!, where she was seen praying at the Ruins of Life while she waited for the Manalo Festival to begin.
In SM090, Olivia joined the rest of Alola in restoring Necrozma to its true form by lending it some of her Z-Power.
She will appear again in SM103.
Olivia appears to be a very clumsy person, constantly getting knocked to the ground over simple tasks like walking up the stairs or opening a door. She also possesses the unique ability to communicate with Pokémon on a different level than most people, giving her a natural affinity even with highly guarded and aggressive Pokémon such as Kiawe's Turtonator and Ash's Litten.
This listing is of Olivia's known Pokémon in the anime:
This article is missing information on this character's Japanese voice actor and English voice actor.
You can help by adding this information.
|| Rockruff → Lycanroc
| Midday Lycanroc is Olivia's first known Pokémon which evolved from a Rockruff. When it was still a Rockruff, it ran away from Olivia right before it was going to evolve. When it returned to Olivia, it had already evolved into Lycanroc. Later, Lycanroc was used in Olivia's battle against Kiawe and his Turtonator. where it was defeated, earning Kiawe his grandfather's Z-Ring and Firium Z.
Lycanroc first appeared to help Kiawe's Charizard when it was struggling to deal with an out of control Tauros.
Lycanroc was used during Olivia's grand trial battle against Ash, where it teamed up with Probopass to battle Ash's Rockruff and Rowlet. Despite proving to be a formidable opponent with its strength and speed, Lycanroc was eventually defeated by Rockruff's Rock Throw.
In Rising from the Ruins!, after hearing about Rockruff's disappearance, Lycanroc left its Trainer to go and find Rockruff. It eventually met up with Gladion's Lycanroc and took Rockruff to the Ruins of Life, where they encountered Tapu Lele, who attacked them. Lycanroc later watched as Rockruff evolved into a Dusk Form Lycanroc. Afterwards, Lycanroc went back to Olivia.
It appeared again in The Professors' New Adventure!, attending the wedding of Professor Kukui and Professor Burnet with Olivia.
It appeared again in Some Kind of Laziness! and Not Caving Under Pressure!, during flashbacks.
It appeared again in SM090, where it joined the rest of Alola in showering Necrozma with light so it could return to its true form.
Lycanroc's known moves are Accelerock and Rock Slide.
Lycanroc can perform the Z-Move Continental Crush.
|| The Island Whisperer!
| Voice actors
|| Yūji Ueda
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
Olivia in Pokémon Adventures
Olivia debuts in The Delivery of Rotom and the Girl. She is first seen with her fellow Kahunas, Hala and Nanu, at Malie Garden, where they discussed the sightings of the guardian deities around Alola. They speculate that the normally reclusive guardian deities appearing before people must have been caused by them being angered by something.
In Pokémon Move Specialist Professor Kukui, Hala refereed a battle between Olivia and Nanu in order to test a stage to be used in an upcoming festival at Iki Town. During the battle, Nanu teased Olivia about her romance troubles, which angered Olivia into using her Z-Power. When Nanu retaliated with his own Z-Move, Hala interrupted the battle. Embarrassed by her outburst, Olivia apologized to Hala. The Kahunas decided that they will use the festival to have Alolan youths battle against each other. The strongest participants would travel around Alola's four islands, imitating the island challenge, in order to calm the guardian deities' rage.
In PASM04, Olivia was tasked with determining the placement of the participants of the festival tournament. She was assisted by Moon, who wrote down the placement of each participant based on the number on the packaging of the malasada they randomly received. After going through several participants, Olivia and Moon encountered Lillie, a girl who was entered in the tournament on a misunderstanding. When Lillie tried to explain the situation, Nebby escaped from Lillie's bag and ran off. While Moon and Lillie chase after Nebby to Mahalo Trail, Olivia went off to inform Hala. After returning, Olivia witnessed Moon and Nebby being rescued from falling into the water by Tapu Koko. Afterward, Lillie revealed that she was entered in the tournament as a mistake due to Nebby trying to escape from her bag at the wrong moment. Olivia offered to have Lillie withdrawn from the tournament, but Moon decided to take Lillie's place instead.
Later, Olivia, Hala, and Nanu met at Hala's house, where they decided to make Hapu the next Kahuna of Poni Island. Afterward, Olivia and Nanu decided to head back to their respective islands to assist the Trial Captains fend off the Ultra Beasts that appeared in Alola. Just before Nanu could open the door to leave, a Kartana and Buzzwole burst into the building. Olivia and Nanu offered to help Hala battle the two beasts, but he refused and told them to defend their islands instead.
In the TCG
- Main article: Olivia (Burning Shadows 119)
Olivia was introduced as a Supporter card in the Pokémon Trading Card Game during the English Sun & Moon Series (the Japanese Sun & Moon Era). It was first released in the Facing a New Trial subset before debuting in English in the Burning Shadows expansion, with an illustration based on the Ken Sugimori artwork of the character. It was also released as a Full Art card in both expansions, with an illustration by Naoki Saito. Olivia allows the player to search their deck for up to 2 Pokémon-GX, reveal them, and put them into their hand. The player then shuffle their deck.
|| ライチ Lychee
|| From lychee
|| From Alyxia oliviformis and possibly olivine
| French, Italian
|| From Alyxia oliviformis
| German, Spanish
|| From maile (Hawaiian for Alyxia oliviformis)
|| 라이치 Raichi
|| Transliteration of Japanese name
| Chinese (Mandarin)
|| 麗姿 / 丽姿 Lìzī
|| From 荔枝 lìzhī (lychee)
| Chinese (Cantonese)
|| 麗姿 Laihjī
|| From 荔枝 laihjī (lychee)
| Brazilian Portuguese
|| Similar to her English name
|| Оливия Oliviya
|| Transcription of English name