From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
- This article is about the move Cut. For the field move, see Field Move (Ranger).
Cut (Japanese: いあいぎり Iai Cut) is a damage-dealing Normal-type move introduced in Generation I. It is HM01 in all generations so far.
Cut inflicts damage and has no secondary effect.
Outside of battle
A Pokémon using Cut can remove a certain type of tree, which acts as an obstacle between the player and their destination. It can also be used to cut tall grass. In Pokémon Emerald, a Pokémon with Hyper Cutter can cut a larger area of tall grass around the user.
Generation IV and on
Cut can no longer remove tall grass.
|| A Normal-type attack. Also used for cutting small bushes to open new paths.
|| Cuts using claws, scythes, etc.
|| Cuts the foe with sharp scythes, claws, etc.*|
Attacks the foe with sharp blades or claws.*
|| A basic attack. It can be used to cut down thin trees and grass.
|| Cuts the target with sharp scythes, claws, etc.
|| Damages all foes around the user.
|| The foe is cut with a scythe or a claw. It can also be used to cut down thin trees.
|| The target is cut with a scythe or a claw. It can also be used to cut down thin trees.
|| The target is cut with a scythe or claw. This can also be used to cut down thin trees.
|| This section contains old or outdated information, or has not been updated in a while. Please check the content of this section and update it as required. |
Specifically, it needs remaining Pokémon that can learn this move via HM in Gen VI games.
In the anime
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
In other generations
Outside of battle
- In Generation I, if the player saves and exits the game standing on a previously cut tree, once the game is continued, the player will be standing on the tree that was previously cut.
- Cut is not required to complete Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald.
- The Japanese name of Cut, いあいぎり Iai Cut, refers to iaido, a Japanese martial art. Specifically, it refers to the technique of drawing a blade from its scabbard, cutting down the opponent, then re-sheathing the blade.
- Cut was the first HM move featured in the anime.
In other languages