Art from PTCGO
|Relatives||Ella (daughter), unnamed husband|
Professor Holly is a character from the Pokémon Trading Card Game Online. Holly and her husband own the Game Store where her daughter Ella works with Zach. Over the game's different iterations, she has usually been involved with the tutorial mode, teaching newcomers the basics of the Pokémon Trading Card Game. She appeared in the game's original tutorial mode, guiding players through 12 situations to reinforce their knowledge of the game's rules. These tutorials were eventually retired from the game itself but were still available as a stand-alone browser-based program on Pokémon.com up to March 2016. A separate set of Tutorial Modes was later re-implemented into the Pokémon Trading Card Game Online, without the professor's guiding presence. Finally, her role as tutorial guide was reinstated after another update to the tutorial system. She appears with an updated design and leads players through partial matches, explaining their opponent's actions and suggesting counter-moves.
- Main article: Tutorial (TCGO)
- Visiting Deck Manager for the first time — "Welcome to the Deck Manager. Let me teach you how to build a new deck!"
- "Let's build an Expanded deck."
- (Highlighting the Deck Editor's card area) — "This is your Collection."
- When saving the deck — "Make sure to give your deck a cool new name!"
- "Just select the save button, and you're done!"
- Losing a Tutorial match for the first time: "Tough loss. You almost had it! Hit the Play! button to try again."
- Losing a Trainer Challenge match for the first time: "That's a tough loss, but don't worry! In the Trainer Challenge, you can switch decks to take advantage of a Trainer's weakness. You might want to pick a different deck and try again."
- Completing Gold League for the first time: "Congratulations on winning the Gold League! If you want, you can try facing off against Trainers from around the world in Versus Mode!"
- After completing Trainer Challenge: "This is a mighty deck that you can use in Versus. It's got brains and brawl!"
- Selecting a format in Versus Mode other than Theme for the first time: "In this mode, you play with constructed decks you've built in the Deck Manager. If you're not ready for that, you can always play with theme decks by switching the mode."
- First time: "Looks like you opened some good cards."
- Following times: "Congratulations! The items below have been added to your Collection!"
|Original art from|
the PTCGO website
- Many details about her were only clarified after her redesign such as her relation to Ella, position at the Game Store, and even her name. Since many official newsletters for the TCGO from before this time were signed by a "Professor Maven", some believed that to be her name.
|Game Store Players|
|This article is part of both Project TCG and Project CharacterDex, Bulbapedia projects that, together, aim to write comprehensive articles on the Pokémon Trading Card Game and on each character found in the Pokémon games respectively.|