From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
The Alola League (Japanese: アローラリーグ Alola League) is the regional Pokémon League of the Alola region. The Alola League is composed of the Alola Elite Four members, along with the Champion. Recently founded by Professor Kukui, the Alola League does not yet have Gym Leaders. Instead, Pokémon Trainers from Alola recognized for their strength, such as those who have completed the island challenge, are invited to challenge the Elite Four at the Pokémon League building on top of Mount Lanakila, where the final island challenge was once held. The position of Champion is also initially vacant within the Alola League; in Sun and Moon, Professor Kukui himself stands in as the final obstacle challengers must overcome before they can be dubbed Alola's first Champion, while in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, this role is given to Hau instead. The first Champion is then able to defend the title against other challengers.
- The Alola League is the only League where:
- There are more female Elite Four members than male ones.
- An Elite Four member changes within a single generation.
- Any Elite Four members — Hala and Olivia — are battled prior to the player's encounter with them as Elite Four members in the same game.
- In the anime, Professor Kukui was inspired to pursue his dream to create the Alola League due to watching Misty and Brock's battles against Ash and Kiawe, respectively. The idea for the League itself he received as a child from Ash who had accidentally been transported into the past.