From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Kecleon Shops (Japanese: カクレオンのおみせ Kakureon Shop) are locations in the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series. They exist to assist players through their game by offering various food items, TMs, and other goods. Items can also be sold to Kecleon Shop for Poké.
They are found in various towns throughout the games and in dungeons.
Kecleon Shop in Lively Town
In Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team and Blue Rescue Team, the Kecleon Shop in Pokémon Square is run by two Kecleon brothers. The younger, green Kecleon runs the Kecleon Shop (Japanese: カクレオンしょうてん Kakureon Store), which sells various items and foods. The older, purple Kecleon runs Kecleon Wares (Japanese: カクレオンせんもんてん Kakureon Specialty Shop), which sells TMs, Wonder Orbs, and Keys. It is the closest building to the Team Base.
In Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time and Explorers of Darkness and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky, the shop is once more run by the Kecleon Brothers and are located near the center of Treasure Town and are collectively referred to as Kecleon Market. The shop is where the main characters meet the Marill and Azurill brothers. Bidoof is sent to Kecleon Shop to find out how many Oran Berries are on sale that day in the Special Episode Bidoof's Wish.
In the WiiWare games only the younger brother is at the shop.
In Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity only the younger Kecleon is running the shop, and is located in Post Town.
In Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon, the Kecleon is once again only run by the younger brother and is present in every town as well as Serene Village which adds up to a total of six Kecleon Shops excluding the ones in dungeons. The shop also sells Lapras Liner Passes which allows players to travel to other continents with Lapras Travel Liner.
A dungeon shop in Super Mystery Dungeon
The shop is made up of a number of carpeted tiles on the floor, which have various items on them. There will be a Kecleon standing on one of the tiles. When the player steps on a carpeted tile, the music changes and the player is greeted by the Kecleon. The items sold range from Berries to rare TMs and Wonder Orbs. Variety increases with game progress; after unlocking Luminous Spring, evolutionary items will occasionally be sold. This is the only other way to get evolutionary items in the game, apart from completing rescue missions. To buy an item, the player must pick it up and talk to the Kecleon to pay for them. To sell items, the player simply places them on shop tiles, and then talks to Kecleon to receive the money. Items available in these shops are sometimes very rare and almost never available from the Kecleon Shop in the towns.
In Red and Blue Rescue Team, Kecleon Shops can be found in Mt. Blaze onwards, excluding any dungeons located in the sea or sky. In Explorers of Time, Darkness, and Sky they appear from Waterfall Cave onwards.
If the player picks up an item and leaves the carpeted area, Kecleon will warp to the player's side, demand payment and/or offer money for sold items. If the player refuses to pay, tries to pay with insufficient funds, leaves the shop afflicted with certain status conditions (such as confusion) or warps from the area, the Kecleon will label the player a thief (which will get the attention of nearby enemies) and attack the player, while other Kecleon appear to battle the player. Using a Trawl Orb has the same effect, as Kecleon Shop merchandise is counted among the floor's unclaimed items. Nearby enemies can also throw Warp Seeds at the team's leader before having the time to pay, which is considered as shoplifting. If a Warp Scarf activates before paying for the merchandise, it will be considered as stealing. Using the moves Teleport, Memento, Lunar Dance or Healing Wish in a Kecleon Shop counts as theft, since the user warps out of the shop because it only has 1 HP left. Also, an explosion resulting from Selfdestruct, Explosion, Aftermath, or a trap will destroy any nearby items, including Kecleon shop merchandise, which Kecleon counts as a theft. If a nearby explosion damages a Kecleon but does not destroy any items, the Kecleon will be able to be damaged by the player and any partners, but will not label the player as a thief, even if the Kecleon is defeated. However, if items are taken from the shop, the player will be marked as a thief, despite not being able to pay for any items taken.
If an Invisify Orb is used, the shop music won't play when standing on the rug, and should the player take the items and leave the room, Kecleon won't even call for help until the Invisify Orb wears off, regardless of the player's and Kecleon's locations. In Gates to Infinity, Trawl Orbs no longer affect Kecleon Shop items.
There is a downloadable dungeon called Kecleon Bazaar where his shop appears frequently and sells mainly TMs and occasionally some flags and HMs. If the player has insufficient funds, Kecleon will be disappointed, but he will not go after the player yet. This allows the player time to place back items instead of stealing them. Should the player keep walking past his shop tiles, it will be considered theft.
Effects of theft
After the player steals from a Kecleon Shop, a number of changes will take effect immediately, and will not wear off until the player reaches the next floor or somehow escapes the dungeon.
- The background music will change. In Explorers of Darkness, Time and, Sky and Gates to Infinity, this is the same background music used for confronting an outlaw Pokémon.
- Escape Orbs will become useless; attempting to use one will waste it.
- Team Leader cannot be changed.
- Attempts to complete a rescue mission on the same floor will fail. Attempting to do so yields this message: "You're a thief! You're not recognized as a rescuer!" However, retrieving an item from an outlaw will allow the team to escape the dungeon in a perfectly normal fashion.
- The Kecleon shop itself becomes no different than ordinary ground, aside from its appearance.
- Items that remained unsold at the time of the theft become regular items and can be picked up by the player and passing wild Pokémon.
- Placing items on a Kecleon shop tile will not result in a sale.
- Placing the stolen items back on the Kecleon shop tiles will not result in any leniency or forgiveness.
- The Kecleon that ran the market will turn hostile and begin attacking the player.
- Additional Kecleon will spawn and join the original Kecleon. These Kecleon have abnormally high stats (maximum in Explorers of Time, Darkness, and Sky), are at level 90, and are constantly at double speed. However, defeating them is the only possible method of recruiting a Kecleon.
- All other enemies that live in the dungeon stop appearing on the current floor. Starting in Gates to Infinity, any remaining enemies on the floor will vanish.
- In Red and Blue Rescue Teams, the leader must be level 90-100 and holding a Friend Bow to have a 0.1% chance of recruiting Kecleon.
- In Explorers of Time, Darkness, and Sky if the leader is level 99-100, is holding a Golden Mask, and has the Fast Friends IQ skill, the chance of recruitment is approximately 0.5%.
- In Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity, Kecleon is no longer able to be recruited, since there is no Kecleon Gift available. Neither Premier Gifts nor Normal Gifts will work on it, despite Kecleon being an unevolved Pokémon. Due to how damage works in this game, damaging moves that don't deal a set amount of damage will miss Kecleon (it will say "Kecleon took no damage!") if the user has too low of an attack if it's a physical move or special attack stat if it's a special move instead of doing at least 1 HP of damage.
- In Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon, at least three Kecleon will always appear by the stairs, and sometimes one will land on the stairs.
- If the player is knocked out by a Kecleon, all items in the bag that aren't lost will be turned into Plain Seeds, and a rescue attempt won't be possible.
Aggressive Kecleon glitch
- Main article: List of glitches in spin-off games#Aggressive Kecleon glitch
In Red and Blue Rescue Team, if a team member attacks Kecleon before any items are stolen (via explosion or Blast Seed), the initial Kecleon will begin to attack, although the player will not be formally accused of stealing (and thus no additional Kecleon will appear and the music will not change) until the player exits the shop.
Dungeon shop glitch
- Main article: List of glitches in spin-off games#Dungeon shop glitch
In Red and Blue Rescue Team, an unlimited amount of Poké can be obtained from a dungeon shop by quicksaving the game after putting an item on the ground but before talking to the Kecleon.
False thief glitch
- Main article: List of glitches in spin-off games#False thief glitch
In Explorers of Time and Darkness, if a wild Pokémon is knocked out on a Kecleon shop and drops an item, the item is picked up like usual, but this will be considered as stealing. Even talking to Kecleon before leaving the shop won't do anything, as it wasn't set as a Kecleon shop item. This glitch was fixed in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky.
Kecleon team member glitch
- Main article: List of glitches in spin-off games#Kecleon team member glitch
In Red and Blue Rescue Team, the Kecleon in a dungeon shop can be made to follow the team around and behave as a team member, but will not follow the team onto the next floor. If the player damages Kecleon, such as through the use of a Blast Seed or a move such as Selfdestruct, Kecleon will attack the player's team. The glitch is generally activated if Kecleon is somehow attacked by enemy Pokémon by means of the player or partner(s) using a Pass Scarf to make a wild Pokémon damage the Kecleon, or an enemy Pokémon using Selfdestruct or Explosion without destroying anything on the shop tiles, or the trap equivalents are activated by the player or partner(s).
In the anime
This article is missing information on this character's English voice actor.
You can help by adding this information.
Kecleon Shop in the anime
The Kecleon Shop and the Kecleon Brothers first appeared in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Team Go-Getters Out of the Gate!, after a briefing for a mission at Whiscash Pond, the newly formed Team Go-Getters went to the Kecleon Shop to buy items for their mission. The Kecleon Brothers informed them that they were closed to everyone, however, as Team Meanies had recently visited them and bought everything they had.
The Kecleon Shop in Treasure Town appeared in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time & Darkness and is called The Kecleon Brothers Shop and Ware. Team Poképals and Sunflora visited the shop to buy a Joy Ribbon, a Defense Scarf, and a Power Band. Kecleon asks which mission they were doing that day while Team Razor Wind overheard them and decided to do their mission for them, believing them to be too inexperienced to succeed. During their visit, Piplup realized that he had had a vision of this visit during the previous night.
|| The picture used in this section is unsatisfactory.|
Reason: Treasure Town Kecleon Shop image should contain English text, Post Town Kecleon Shop needs English picture speaking to Kecleon
Please feel free to replace it so it conforms to Bulbapedia conventions.
|| This section is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this section to add missing information and complete it.
Reason: needs picture of Kecleon Shop in the WiiWare games.
Kecleon Shop in Pokémon Square
Kecleon Shop in Treasure Town
Kecleon Shop in Post Town
|| This section is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this section to add missing information and complete it.
Reason: needs image of Kecleon Shop in Explorers of Time, Darkness, and Sky.
A dungeon shop in Red Rescue Team and Blue Rescue Team
A dungeon shop in Blazing Adventure Squad
A dungeon shop in Gates to Infinity
In other languages