From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
"Looker" (Japanese: ハンサム Handsome) is the codename for a character introduced in Pokémon Platinum as an International Police officer on assignment investigating Team Galactic and its plans.
In the games
first meets Looker.
In Pokémon Platinum, Looker is an important character, encountering the player multiple times over their journey across Sinnoh. He speaks with odd grammatical constructs, implying that he is not a native speaker of the national language; however, this is not present in the Japanese version. He first meets the player in Jubilife City, giving them the Vs. Recorder, and appears often when Team Galactic is near. His motives are clear: his mission is to stop Team Galactic from causing havoc in the Sinnoh region. He is then met again at the Valley Windworks, right after Team Galactic flee from the area. Disappointed in just missing them, he searches the area for clues, which leads him somehow to the Galactic Eterna Building, where Team Galactic have kidnapped Rad Rickshaw's Pokémon. Looker infiltrates the building by disguising himself as a Team Galactic grunt.
The player next encounters Looker at the Veilstone Game Corner, if one decides to look there. If not, then he will appear after the player and Lucas/Dawn battle the Galactic Grunts in front of the Galactic Warehouse. He leads the player into the warehouse and realize that the inner door is locked. He also finds HM02 (Fly), leaving the player to take it.
Looker will appear once the player goes to Team Galactic HQ and talks to the Grunt outside. He will reveal that he has the Storage Key and will tell the player to meet him in the Galactic Warehouse. Once there, he will open the door and go down to investigate.
Inside the headquarters, he will not be seen until the player reaches the meeting room, where he is seen eavesdropping on a gathering of members of Team Galactic. He will tell the player to listen to their meeting with him. When it is over, he will leave again.
Later, he gives the player a Black Flute when they are about to go off to the Spear Pillar.
When Cyrus retreats into the Distortion World, Looker shifts his investigation towards Charon, who has taken control of the team. This is because Looker stumbles upon Charon's notes of his plans back at the Team Galactic HQ. He is not seen again until after the player defeats the Elite Four, when they journey to Stark Mountain. Here he is seen in the final stages of his investigation, arresting Charon and ending Team Galactic's reign of terror once and for all.
After this, he can be found in the Veilstone Game Corner. He mentions that he wants to spend his remaining time in Sinnoh to teach new moves to his Pokémon.
Looker is shown to be quite good at disguising himself. His prime disguise is that of a Team Galactic grunt. At Stark Mountain, before he apprehends Charon, he disguises himself as a smashable rock.
Although he does not battle with or against the player at all during the entirety of the game, it is known that he has a Croagunk. He uses it to get the Magma Stone from Charon at Stark Mountain. In Pokémon X and Y, it is said that his Pokémon was killed, but it is not specified whether the Pokémon in question is Croagunk or a different one.
- "WHAAAT?! ...How did you know? How did you unmask me as a member of the International Police?!"
- "...Heh. You claim you were only making conversation, do you? But, I know better not to believe that. No, no, no. You recognized right away that I was someone extraordinary. That is why you spoke to me, is it not? Your power of observation is fearsome! Quite admirable, you are! Now that my cover has been blown, let me introduce myself. I am a globe-trotting elite of the International Police. My name... Ah, no. I shall inform you only of my code name. My code name, it is Looker. It is what they all call me. Incidentally, is the saying, 'Don't be a thief!' familiar to you?"
- No: "No? You claim to not know it? How could that be? Perhaps your mama has said it, but you have forgotten it, like usual? Now listen, my friends. It is wrong to take what belongs to others."
- Yes: "Yes, that is correct. Taking what belongs to others is wrong."
- "Unfortunately, there are apparently those who do not heed those words. In Sinnoh, in fact, there are criminals stealing the Pokémon of others. I have, therefore, been on the lookout for characters arousing my suspicion. Incidentally, you are Trainers, yes? Perhaps you can make use of this? That Vs. Recorder, it is a nifty device for recording a match. I obtained it because it is quite popular these days. But myself, I do not do Pokémon battling very often. It will be in better hands with you. Also, I have a request. If you were to see me again, I ask that you not talk to me, for I am on duty. ...Actually, yes, yes, you may speak to me. You must. Not because I am lonely, no, no! You must inform me of bad guys! You must inform me of any happenings!"
- "Ah, yes. I see that you have obtained it, a Pal Pad for yourself. I myself, a member of the International Police, the fighters of crime around the world, have one also. For it is what one must have to trade with Trainers around the world. Take that Pal Pad to the Global Terminal for trading on an international level!"
- If player has not obtained Pal Pad
- "Tell me, have you not obtained a Pal Pad? Is not a Pal Pad free to anyone visiting the Pokémon Center's basement?"
- " Anyway, there appears to be no one shady in this Jubilife City. I shall therefore take my investigation elsewhere. But, my friend, I suggest you remain vigilant for shady grown-ups!"
- "Ah, yes. It is you, yes. I have heard that the Team Galactic appeared at this power plant I have, therefore, come running. So, the Team Galactic. Where are they? ... You have run them off, you say? You are a Trainer, but...? Very well! I shall go investigate inside! Magnificent! Yes, it is! What you have said, it is all true! Superb! Though you are young, you are a Trainer through and through! Very well! I shall pursue the culprits! I have received tips that the Team Galactic hideout is in Eterna City. To there, I must be off!"
- "Hello! It is me! Me! Hahaha! I have startled you, yes? I am, after all, an officer of the International Police. It is only natural that I be a master of disguise. ...Incidentally, you are a first-rate Trainer. Of that, I am very aware. I therefore think you will be OK, but I must warn you to be careful anyway. Also, a word of advice. This building, it has two stairs. One of them, a trap it must be. But the crooks of Team Galactic, they do not appear, how shall I say, smart. There should be an easy way to tell the stairs apart!"
- "Ah, it is you, yes. I have decide to use opportunity of being here in Sinnoh. I am therefore trying to teach moves to Pokémon that I have captured. Also, if I have nothing to do, it means the world, it is at peace. ...Ack. My streak is broken."
- "Go, go, go!"'
- "Excellent work, CROAGUNK!"
- "Pah! Disguising myself as a boulder for stakeout was not easy!"
- "Now, old-timer, the International Police cordially requests your cooperation. I am sure you have much to tell us about the new Team Galactic. With Cyrus, Mars, and Jupiter gone, you are all that is left."
- "You can tell us all about it. We have plenty of time. Oh, no, no. No resisting arrest. You can't win three-on-one, no? OK, officers, over here, if you will."
- "He is an old man. This heat cannot be good for him. Quickly, take him somewhere cool. Yes, the cooler will do!"
- "<Player>! And you, unfamiliar boy! I wish to say something. First, it is too hot! Let us exit this environment!"
- "Whew! The air outside, it is delicious, yes! ...Gweh! Gah! Geff! Bleah! I have inhaled volcanic ash by the lungful! Now, you two. This is what they were after. The Magma Stone. Moving this is said to awaken the Pokémon HEATRAN. The old tales say that its awakening, it will make Stark Mountain erupt. ...But I have moved it. It is here. Will this cause the eruption?!"
- "That boy, he has quite the energy, yes? <Player>, I should tell you why I have arrived here. After we parted at Mt. Coronet, I investigated their hideout. I uncovered Charon's plot, which led me to a stakeout of this place. That Charon is now securely within our custody. It is safe to say the Team Galactic is a threat no longer. That being said, it looks like my work here is finally finished."
- "I, also, will take my leave. 'The more wonderful the meeting, the sadder the parting.' That is a quote I heard many years ago in a foreign land. Its meaning... I understand it better now. Farewell, <player>, my friend! Long may you cherish Pokémon!"
In Black and White
Looker is found in Pokémon Black and White, where he is assigned to capture the Seven Sages of Team Plasma after the events at N's Castle.
He first meets the player at their home in Nuvema Town, after the player defeats Team Plasma at N's Castle. He appears disguised as the player's mother, only to realize that he forgot to remove his disguise. He asks for the player's assistance in finding the Seven Sages, and gives the player a Super Rod.
Looker will appear upon finding each sage to take him into custody. After apprehending the final sage, Looker tells the player that N was seen in a distant land with a dragon Pokémon.
- "Incredible, really. Amazing, absolutely, meeting these two Pokémon of legend!"
- "Oh! I still wear my disguise! Pardon! Or, rather, let me introduce myself."
- "I am a globe-trotting elite of the International Police. My name... Ah, no, I shall inform you of my code name only. My code name, it is Looker. It is how I am called! Behind the scenes in this region of Unova, an organization called Team Plasma conspires... This I have heard, and therefore, to this region I must come, but... Thanks to the Gym Leaders and to you, yes, Team Plasma's castle has fallen. And the members, they have gone upon their separate ways! This is what I hear, most certainly!"
- "But, however! However, but... The ones known as the Seven Sages--still they hide themselves in the Unova region."
- "And so, in the end, it explains why I must ask this of you, Trainer of amazing skill! Travel the Unova region and search it up and search it down for the Seven Sages! Alder, the Champion of renown, recommended you to my notice. Are you willing to help me?"
- No: "Ah, ah! Yet once more shall I ask! If you please, travel the Unova region and search it low and high for these Seven Sages!"
- Yes: "Excellent! I thank you! Now I feel as if I have perhaps a million people on my side. Permit me to give this into your hands!"
- "Yes, correct! It is certainly a Super Rod!"
- "I see. It is truly <player>'s mama to ask so! What a magnificent question! I admire it. It is my pleasure to answer. Absolutely nothing!"
- "Yes, I shall provide the explanation of this, the Super Rod! First! Face the water and employ the rod! Second! Concentrate your focal point! When it occurs that these Pokémon bite, "!" will indicate. Immediately, reel in! For the rest, <player>, I depend upon you!"
- Upon arresting each sage (says one of these at random)
- "Ah... And now, about Team Plasma... I am an officer of the International Police, and there are so many things you must tell me at once!"
- "Regarding Team Plasma... I am an officer of the International Police, and you must satisfy request for certain information!"
- "Indeed! I am an officer of the International Police, and I demand to hear all you know about Team Plasma!"
- "On the topic of Team Plasma... I am an officer of the International Police, so you would be wise to share all you know."
- "Regarding Team Plasma... I am an officer of the International Police, and you must supply the information I request!"
- When there are still sages remaining (says one of these at random)
- "Accept my thanks! Now, Ghetsis notwithstanding, there yet remains but <number> of the Seven Sages still at large. What is it they are thinking, what it may be they are hoping, this is the information I pursue. Until we meet again!"
- "Accept my thanks! Now, Ghetsis notwithstanding, there yet remains but <number> of the Seven Sages still at large. They are thinking--upon what topics? They are hoping--upon what chances? This is of the utmost urgency! At once! On the way!"
- "Many thanks! Now, Ghetsis notwithstanding, there yet remains but <number> of the Seven Sages still at large. What is it they are thinking, what it may be they are hoping, this is the information I have need of. Until we meet again!"
- "Thanks many times over! Now, Ghetsis notwithstanding, there yet remains but <number> of the Seven Sages still at large. The thoughts they are contemplating, the hopes they are anticipating, these--these are what I want to know! Until our next meeting!"
- "Truly, I thank you! Now, Ghetsis notwithstanding, there yet remains but <number> of the Seven Sages still at large. Their innermost thoughts, their uttermost hopes... These I must and shall discover! Once more, a brief farewell!"
- When the last sage is arrested
- "Thank you a lot! Eh, <player>... On a topic I must speak to you. Having received such a report, of someone far from here, who has seen a person like N and...a dragon Pokémon. I am on my way to verify the veracity of this information. We will meet again one day!"
In X and Y
Looker has traveled to the Kalos region on an assignment to find and arrest Xerosic but keeps his affiliation with the International Police a secret from the player, introducing himself as a detective recently located to Lumiose City. The player first meets him after receiving an invitation to come to Looker Bureau over the Holo Caster, the first time they enter Lumiose City after upgrading the Mega Ring. Looker signs the player on as his assistant in his fight for justice, and the two begin taking on cases together. During their first case, he meets a homeless young girl named Emma and her Espurr named Mimi, who he decides to take under his wing. He becomes a father-figure to the girl, but because of their poor living conditions, Emma feels she is a burden to Looker and decides to look for a job to help support him. Her employer turns out to be none other than Xerosic, who has taken her under his control. Looker and the player manage to rescue her, and Looker detains Xerosic and leaves Kalos. He leaves a letter with Mimi that reveals his real position as a member of the International Police, and that he has paid for the property in full so that Emma may continue to call the bureau home, and use it however she pleases. He also transfers his codename 'Looker' to the player character (this is merely a story point and has no impact on the gameplay).
In these games, his strange style of speech is significantly scaled back. It is also strongly suggested that his Croagunk was killed during a case sometime in the past.
- "What does your heart say, <player>? Will you partner with me and fight crime?"
- No: "No? <player>, my friend! This answer surprises me. It is not what I expected. I need a partner like you in order to protect the peace of this city. Reconsider, <player>. The city needs you. I need you. Will you not be my partner?"
- Yes: "For your brave answer, I thank you. Lumiose City will regain its tranquility!"
- "Well, I wish it could be that easy. Because even though you are Champion, you're still a rookie when it comes to detective work. And that's why I must ask you to enroll in my class in detective and espionage skills: "The Looker Method: Yes, even YOU can become a detective in five easy steps!" When you're ready to learn the meaning of "hard-boiled," just come and talk to me again."
- "Oh, you're ready for adventure now? Allow me to explain what you will be doing. You will need to find five Looker Tickets that have been sprinkled about Lumiose City, and then bring them back to me! There's nothing more to it! Simple as can be! The Looker Tickets will be sure to catch your eye with their glitter and sparkles. I want you to succeed, so I have left some hints in my notebook about where to find the tickets! Ah ha, so then, it is time. Away with you to begin your training! I trust you'll live up to my hopes!"
- "So now that you're heading off into the city, <player>, I just thought I would go over the locations of the hidden tickets once again."
- "1. In the Pokémon Center next to Magenta Plaza."
- "2. In Centrico Plaza, in the tower illuminating the city."
- "3. On Vernal Avenue, at a shop selling medicines."
- "4. On North Boulevard, 1F, in a place where people rest."
- "5. On North Boulevard, 1F, in a place filled with art."
- "That's it. If you're having trouble, return to the Looker Bureau or read this message again. I wish you luck."
- Before finding all tickets
- "What is it, <player>? Are you feeling a bit stuck with your training? Well, you've found <number> tickets so far. Don't give up, my friend! Dive back into Lumiose city, and find those tickets!"
- "Ein, tvo, tri, fjore... Fif! Five Looker Tickets! Congratulations, <player>! You have completed your training using my patented course, "The Looker Method: Yes, even YOU can become a detective in five easy steps!" From this day onward, you are a fully fledged, completely boiled detective!"
- :...Ahem! With that accomplished, let me issue my request once more. <player>, be my crime-fighting partner?"
- No: "Pardon? No?... Listen, <player>. This answer is not acceptable. I need a partner like you in order to fight crime and protect the peace of this city!"
- Yes: "Excellent. It will be an honor for you to serve as an official member of the Looker Bureau! And... as partner to the one and only Looker! I'll send you a message on your Holo Caster whenever we have a job to do!"
- "... ... ... To complete my patented training course, "The Looker Method: yes, even YOU can become a detective in five easy steps!" in so little time and with such ease... <player>, you truly are a masterful Trainer. The big case on which I have been at work... It is a certainty. We will crack this case together. And, as for what is past, old friend, be patient. Justice will be served-- enough for all!"
- (Holo Caster)
- "<player>! It is I! Looker! I want to talk to you about something important! Could you come to the Looker Bureau, please?"
- "<player>, you're here! You got my message on the Holo Caster, in fact? Then I need three minutes only. It is this. We have a case to solve! I count on your help, <player>! Let us put our partnership to the test! My notes are on the desk. Take 30 seconds to read up on the case."
- "All read up and all ready to go? Good! The first thing I want you to do is to visit those dark alleys in Lumiose City. Find where kids are hanging out, and get the lowdown on the situation. Got it? Think you can handle it, partner?"
- No: "What? <player>, no, no, no! That is not the answer I want to hear! I want you to investigate the dark alleys of Lumiose City and scope out what's happening with these kids! You've got this, right?"
- Yes: "I am counting on you, <player>. There are a number of alleys here in Lumiose City. Somewhere, in one of them, you should find those kids! Yes. Yes, indeed. Hmm... My gut tells me there's something fishy about the alley leading off South Boulevard. When you've got a gut boiled as hard as mine, it's worth paying attention to! Start your investigations on South Boulevard. I'll join you when I can. Oh, wait! Here's an idea! I need three seconds... To help you on your way, I'll jot down the locations of all the alleys in my notebook! You've got this, <player>. Fear not. Off to the dark alleyways of Lumiose City!"
- In private with Xerosic at the Looker Bureau
- "Ahem. Let us get down to it. I would like to straighten this out before Emma returns. Dr. Xerosic, could you please confirm one small thing for me? The criminal mastermind behind all these incidents was--you yourself?"
- "That's how it is?"
- "Ahem. For a minute, let's say I believe your statements--"
- "I hear you. Once I have everything in order, I will ask you to accompany me to the station. An that is all I have to say to you as Looker of the International Police. What I say to you now, I say as simply Mr. Looker, young Emma's guardian..."
- "Would you care to stay and visit a while longer with Emma and me? She seems to have grown quite fond of you, you know. We are about to have dinner together, and she was hoping you would join us. Ahem... I would like to wait until tomorrow, after she has enjoyed a last cheerful night, before I must tell her the truth."
- "Dr. Xerosic..."
- "'To my dearest friends... I must have but a moment of your time. It is I, the great detective Looker. I write today because there is something I must confess to you. This is confidential! Top secret! I am not a private detective at all but an officer of the International Police! You are shocked, of course. My hard-boiled detective act was brilliantly flawless, after all. But I know you have been worrying about my long 'hospital stay' and the strange 'illness' that kept me there. The truth is--I am the very picture of health! My hospital stay was a ruse to keep you out of harm's way. My intentions were the best, but it was still a lie, for which I humbly apologize.'
- 'However, my friends, there is another reason for this letter. And so I must request of you just a minute or two more. I came to this region for an investigation. Detective Officer Looker was on the case! And, indeed... Thanks to yours truly, the case is now closed. My greatness prevailed! I cheer! And yet... It also means my time in Kalos is done. I must say good-bye to this lovely region. And, more painfully, to you, my friends. Thank you for all your assistance... And adieu. P.S. To <player>, my colleague... You have been the perfect partner. For all that you have done for me in our time together, I would like to present you with my cherished code name, 'Looker.' And for Emma and Mimi... To the two of you, I leave the Looker Bureau. I purchased the whole building, so never again will you have to worry about rent. It is yours to do with as you will.'"
- "...Fine. If you really say that you returned all the Poké Balls that Essentia stole..."
- "There is now minute to give you! Our train is about to depart!"
- "What? <player>! Wh-Why are you here?!"
- "I...I'm sorry, Emma... But my letter explains everything. I work for the International Police! I am a globe-trotting, crime-fighting elite! Wherever there is a case, I must go! Justice awaits!"
- "Emma, I wish it could be like that. You can't come. It's not possible at all."
- "In fact, the time has come for you to graduate from being my assistant. As of this moment, I name you the new head of the Looker Bureau!"
- "Listen to me, Emma. You were born and raised in this fair city. Every day of your life, you have been here. You are the only one who knows this city inside and out. No one else could do the things you can do for it! I pass my torch of brilliant detective-ing to you! Take my place, and keep protecting the peace of Lumiose City!"
- "Emma, please. I must ask you to respect the necessity of my decision. <player> understands perfectly why I must go. It is the way of partners. He/She is my partner. We understand each other."
- "Oh, Mimi... Please don't make a sad face on my account. No matter where I go, our bonds will never change. You will be my dear friends from the Looker Bureau, always and forever."
- "Everyone.. I'm sorry, but... We are nearly out of time. Our train is due to depart."
- "I leave it in your hands, Emma! I'll rest easy, knowing you're on the case!"
- "Ahem... <player>! Emma! Mimi! I entrust to you three the great task of protecting the peace of Lumiose City!"
- "Thank you for everything! Farewell, my friends!"
- "The XXth day of the XXth month. I am happy to report that Emma has learned to read and write and do basic arithmetic. I must be truthful and say that her progress is due to the diligence of her brilliant instructor. Ha ha. Emma's intelligence and keen focus on her studies have ensured her steady progress."
- "The XXth day of the XXth month. Recently, I have begun to be accepted by the Pokémon Mimi. When I pet its head, it barely lashes out. When I leave for the evening to go home to my room at the hotel, it cries sadly. It remains cautious when meeting strange adults, but this is evidence to me of trauma in its past. I wonder what happened, but prying into another's secrets is not good manners, whether person or Pokémon. I simply continue my effort to deepen my bonds with Mimi."
- After Essentia's final defeat
- "There are no more Poké Balls! You must stop fighting!! EMMA!!!"
- "No... Emma! What can I do?!"
- "E-Emma!! Are you all right?!"
- "E-Emma... Are you...all right?"
- "Uh... Ahem. N-no... You see...I got, uh, special permission to check myself out of the...hospital... I had to make sure you were OK, Emma. I had to see you, so I found out where you worked and came to find you."
- "Naturally! Now, Emma, how about you go and get some dinner? I need to have a little grown-up talk with Dr. Xerosic here!"
- "That may be that...but... I think it's time you and I have a little chat, Dr. Xerosic."
In the anime
Looker made his debut appearance in Frozen on Their Tracks. Ash and his friends met Looker while taking a train leading to Lake Acuity, and decided to help him distribute lunch boxes as he has bought too many of them. He decided to investigate the reason behind the signal which caused the train to stop and discovered it was the doing of Team Galactic.
He appeared again in Gateway to Ruin!, investigating Team Galactic's activities in Mt. Coronet while disguised as a grunt to blend in.
Looker made another appearance in Unlocking the Red Chain of Events!, having been captured by Team Galactic and held at the Fuego Ironworks. In The Battle Finale of Legend! he arrested the Team Galactic members.
Looker was set to make a comeback in two unaired episodes before they were indefinitely postponed. The events of these episodes are not canonical.
After a long absence, Looker finally appeared again in Team Plasma's Pokémon Power Plot!. He had originally disguised himself as a Hiker, but revealed his true identity after saving Ash, Iris, and Cilan from a group of attacking Pokémon, including Pikachu and Axew. He explained that he had come to Unova in order to investigate the actions of Team Plasma, who were planning to take over the region. After an encounter with several Team Plasma members, including the Plasma Scientist Colress, he left the group to continue his investigation.
Looker disguised as a Hiker
Looker appeared again in Team Plasma's Pokémon Manipulation!, again investigating actions caused by Team Plasma. Ash and friends encountered him at a city, where a Haxorus was going on a rampage. Looker realized that it must be under the same kind of control as the Pokémon from before, and attempted to use his barrier-creating device to stop Haxorus from being controlled, without any result. He then used an energy indicator to find the source of the energy that controlled Haxorus, eventually pinpointing it into Team Plasma's helicopter. When a missed Shadow Ball from Aldith's Liepard hit the machine, it was broken, freeing the controlled Pokémon.
Looker's International Police Badge
In Ash and N: A Clash of Ideals!, he disguised himself as Cedric Juniper's assistant and escorted Ash and his friends to the White Ruins. Later, when Team Plasma attacked in an attempt to find the Light Stone, he unmasked himself and began trying to fight the villains. He also appeared in Team Plasma and the Awakening Ceremony! and What Lies Beyond Truth and Ideals!, where he wound up getting caught along with Iris, Cilan, and Cedric Juniper, but they later freed Looker. He then managed to convince Team Rocket into joining the battle. Eventually, when Reshiram was freed from Team Plasma's control, Looker arrested all the Team Plasma members, effectively putting an end to the team's existence.
In the Diamond and Pearl series, Looker built an alliance with Team Rocket while trying to take down Team Galactic. Jessie, James, and Meowth referred to him as Boxed-Lunch Guy (Japanese: ランチボックスさん Mr. Lunchbox) because he gave them boxed lunches while on the Ampharos Train. That simple act left them extremely loyal to him. In the Best Wishes! series, this relationship was shown to have carried on, as seen in What Lies Beyond Truth and Ideals!, where he managed to convince them into joining the final battle against Team Plasma.
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
Looker in Pokémon Adventures
In Pokémon Adventures, Looker investigates several of the activities caused by various villainous groups. To help him with his investigations, Looker uses many gadgets known as the "International Police Arms". However, many of these gadgets have a tendency to break apart at Looker's expense.
Looker first appears in the Diamond & Pearl chapter where he interrogates the two scientists hired by Team Galactic to guard Lake Valor. Due to them not knowing anything about Team Galactic, the interrogation went nowhere. In the Platinum chapter, Looker makes his appearance looking for his client. He eventually meets up with his client, Platinum Berlitz, and joins her in her quest to research information on the Distortion World so that she can rescue her bodyguards. Paka and Uji.
Looker joins Platinum as she goes through the various Battle Facilities and usually helps her when she is having trouble in them. In the Battle Castle, he helps Platinum with her money-managing troubles, which helps her defeat Darach. While Platinum goes through the Battle Arcade, Looker goes to help their ally Buck fight Team Galactic on Stark Mountain. When he arrives, he finds out that Charon had obtained the legendary Pokémon, Heatran, and has been using it to attack Buck. Worried about Looker's safety, Platinum sends her Pokémon to go and help them while she goes through the Battle Factory. They eventually return with Looker and Buck, who were seriously injured and later hospitalized.
After Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum defeat Charon, a fully recovered Looker appears and arrests Charon. He goes to chase after the other Team Galactic commanders until his superior contacts him and tells him to call the mission off. He is ordered to head to Unova and investigate the activities of the Seven Sages. Looker leaves immediately but quickly comes back to give Diamond a Pokémon Egg he received from some Pokémon Rangers in Fiore.
In the Black & White chapter, Looker appears as a participant in the Unova Pokémon League. Disguised as a man named Handa Samurō (Japanese: ハンダ サムロウ), he battles until he eventually makes it to the top 8. During the quarterfinal match, Looker faces Black as his opponent. Due to his Croagunk not being a native Unova Pokémon, he has the advantage due to Black not being able to figure out his opponent's type. Eventually, Black manages to figure out Croagunk's type and defeats it. Having been defeated, Looker disappears and goes into hiding.
After taking off his disguise, Looker reveals that he has entered the League to investigate the suspicious participants, as he believes that one of them may be a member of Team Plasma. When Gray reveals himself to be Zinzolin of Team Plasma, Looker immediately takes the chance to tie him up and capture him. Later, Looker assists Black in the final battle against N alongside Cedric Juniper and Petashi, who climbed into his hot-air balloon.
In the Black 2 & White 2 chapter, Looker has spent the past two years looking for the members of the now-defeated Team Plasma. Upon returning to Unova after failing to find the Seven Sages in other regions, he is tasked with meeting up with Lack-Two, another International Police member. He finds Lack-Two at Aspertia City, only to be attacked by a Scolipede immediately after exchanging their secret password. Lack-Two easily defeats the Scolipede and rescues Looker. Much to Looker's shock, Lack-Two reveals himself to be Looker's superior despite the age gap between them.
Lack-Two and Looker head to the Aspertia alleyways where they encounter Lack-Two's maintenance man, the Magician. After having himself checked up, Lack-Two takes Looker to a training area and has him do some tests. Although they manage to succeed in the first one, Looker and Croagunk completely fail the second test. Lack-Two berates the two and tells them to get better at handling harsh conditions. Before they can continue, an explosion rings outside. When they go out to investigate, they find out that the culprit is a Genesect.
| Croagunk is Looker's only known Pokémon. Croagunk was first seen as Looker arrives to investigate the two scientists. It later appears to help Looker arrest Charon. In the Unova Pokémon League, Croagunk was used to battle Black's Tula. Due to Croagunk not being an Unova-native Pokémon, Black had no idea what his opponent's type was. Eventually, Croagunk was defeated by Tula's Electroweb.
Croagunk's known moves are Vacuum Wave and Venoshock.
|| Double Trouble with Dialga and Palkia V
In the Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Adventure! manga
Looker in Diamond and Pearl Adventure!
In the Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Adventure! manga, he and Koya are on the trail looking for Hareta's father, Kaisei. Like in the games, he is also working for the International Police. His name in early chapters is Hansom, but he is later identified as Looker.
In the chapter Looker debuted in, he is able to identify Galactic grunts in the crowd before they launched a terrorist attack on the stadium; once the Galactic incident is taken care of, he tries to take Kaisei into custody. Later, he along with several other agents of the International Police have arrived in Stark Mountain and disguise themselves as rocks in order to capture Team Galactic. However, the villainous team escapes when an earthquake in Stark Mountain distracted Looker and the others. He stays behind to save Koya. After calming Heatran down by placing the Magma Stone back to where it belongs, Looker wonders if any members remained during the cave-in, in which Koya responds with no.
Looker then arrives in Team Galactic's headquarters in order to continue his search for Team Galactic and has Koya block the entrance in order to prevent anyone from going inside. However, he informs Koya that Charon was too powerful and his whole squad was defeated. Looker defends Koya when he was about to get hit by Onix. After witnessing Charon's strength, Looker tells Koya to retreat the area. Despite that, Koya decides to stop Charon for good in which Looker accepts. Much later, Looker arrived on Stark Mountain after the battle with the Creation trio, awaiting for Charon's arrival in order to arrest him. Following Charon's arrest, Looker notifies him that Team Galactic was disbanded on behalf of Cyrus's orders.
In the Pocket Monsters DP manga
Looker in Pocket Monsters DP
Looker has also appeared in the Pocket Monsters DP manga. He debuted in PMDP39 where he ran out of the police car after arrival in order to investigate something. Looker was then disturbed by Clefairy's antics but after he went up to Red and the gang, they ran off. Looker was right behind them and after he caught up, the group once again zoomed away. Tired of Looker's presence, Clefairy built a fake wall out of paper to hide in but it ripped off rather quickly. The group then swam to the other side to avoid Looker but he too did the same. Following the chase, Looker tries to search for them and finds some footprints leading to a house. He knocks on the door and the door opens by itself. Clefairy runs out in an ice cream costume and he, Red, Pikachu, and Tyrogue get away in a car. Despite that, Looker was able to catch them and informs them that he had something to give and show them all this time.
Looker returned in PMDP52 where he was at the beach with Red and his Pokémon. He noticed that Clefairy looked darker than before and then all of the other Pokémon start to mimic him, clothes-wise. This caused Looker to chase Clefairy and Clefairy chasing the Pokémon who copied Looker. In PMDP55, he goes on a solo mission with Clefairy joining him when Team Galactic steal a kid's food truck. After spotting the thieves, Looker and Clefairy give chase. When Clefairy putted on his ninja costume temporarily, Looker fell to the floor in amusement. As the truck arrives at the garage which was their stop, Looker was unable to get inside the garage but after seeing the two grunts running off with the food but Clefairy stopped them with his own supplies after tripping on a rock.
In PMDP60, he is on the lookout for Team Galactic and met up with Red and his Pokémon at a casino. Unfortunately, after finding their hiding place, the alarms go off and Looker and Clefairy go to the location. Charon makes a break for it and Looker is right behind him. Both of them head for Team Galactic's helicopter and climbs the ladder. While on the ladder, they notice Clefairy taking some loot. The helicopter then disappears into the distance.
In the TCG
This listing is of cards mentioning or featuring Looker in the Pokémon Trading Card Game.
It is possible that Looker's looks, attire, and general persona may be derived from Koichi Zenigata, a fictional detective in Monkey Punch's manga series, Lupin the Third. Lupin the Third itself was initially released in Japan around the time that many of the highly ranked staff members of Game Freak were young.
|| ハンサム Handsome
|| The English word "Handsome."
|| A colloquialism used to refer to someone good-looking; effectively a synonym for his Japanese name, Handsome.|
Synonymous wordplay for a watchman; or a guard or investigator of sorts.
|| From bel, good looking, and Adonis.
|| From le belle, good looking.
|| Same as English name.
|| Means good looking eye.
|| Same as English name.
|| Pan Ciacho
|| Pan - Mr; Ciacho means good-looking man.
|| Same as Japanese name.
|| Same as English name.
|| 핸섬 Handsome
|| Transliteration of the English word handsome
| 大帥 Dà Shuài
|| 大 (big/great) is a term used to refer to someone older. 帥 means "handsome".
| 帥哥 Shuàigē
|| Literally means "handsome guy". Also means "handsome," as in a form of address for male.