From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Mr. Briney (Japanese: ハギ老人 Old Man Hagi) is a sailor that appears in many forms of the media. He has a Wingull named Peeko.
In the games
Mr. Briney is first seen near the Rusturf Tunnel, asking the player to recover his Wingull, Peeko, from a Team Aqua or Team Magma Grunt. Once Peeko is rescued and returned to Mr. Briney, he will offer to give the protagonist rides in his boat to Dewford Town and Slateport City until he/she gains the Badge from his/her father. He later becomes the captain of the S.S. Tidal. His house is located on Route 104.
- "Ohhh, what am I to do? We were on our walk, Peeko and I, when we were jumped by an odd thug… The scoundrel made off with my darling Peeko! Wrrrooooooaaaar! Peeko!"
- "Peeko! Am I glad to see you're safe! Peeko owes her life to you! They call me Mr. Briney. And, you are? Ah, so you are <player>! I sincerely thank you! Now, if there's anything that troubles you, don't hesitate to tell me! You can usually find me in my cottage by the sea near Petalburg Woods. Come, Peeko, we should make our way home."
Mr. Briney's cottage
- "Hold on, lass! Wait up, Peeko! Hm? You're <player>! You saved my darling Peeko! We owe so much to you! What's that? You want to sail with me? Hmhm… You have a Letter bound for Dewford and a package for Slateport, then? Quite the busy life you must lead! But, certainly, what you're asking is no problem at all. You've come to the right man! We'll set sail for Dewford."
- Yes: "Dewford it is, then! Anchors aweigh! Peeko, we're setting sail, my darling!"
- No: "Is that so? Your deliveries can wait? You just go on and tell me whenever you want to set sail!"
- "Ahoy! We've hit land in Dewford. I suppose you're off to deliver that Letter to, who was it now, Steven!"
- After getting the Knuckle Badge
- "Ahoy! For you, I'll go out to sea anytime! Now, my friend, where are we bound?"
- Petalburg: "Petalburg, is it? Anchors aweigh! Peeko, we're setting sail, my darling!"
- Slateport: "Slateport, is it? Anchors aweigh! Peeko, we're setting sail, my darling!"
- Exit: "You just tell me whenever you need to set sail again!"
- "Ahoy! We've made land in Slateport! I suppose you're going to visit Capt. Stern and deliver the Devon Goods?"
In the anime
Mr. Briney appeared in two episodes of the Pokémon anime. In On a Wingull and a Prayer!, his Wingull Peeko was captured by a member of Team Aqua, the same one responsible for stealing from the Devon Corporation the episode before. Ash and his friends helped to save Peeko and return it to Mr. Briney. As a way of thanking them, Mr. Briney gave them a ride to Dewford Town on his boat.
In Sharpedo Attack!, Mr. Briney was with the group when Brock helped an injured Sharpedo. At the end of the episode, Mr. Briney dropped the group off at Dewford Town.
In Best Wishes Until We Meet Again!, Cilan mentions that he is heading to Johto to compete in the Old Rod Fishing Rally that is being hosted by Mr. Briney.
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
In Pokémon Adventures, Mr. Briney rescues Ruby after he falls into the sea. He shows Ruby an extremely beautiful Pokémon to convince him that not all fish are ugly. At the end of the Ruby & Sapphire chapter, he becomes the captain of the S.S. Tidal, just like in the games. Mr. Briney is also an old friend of Two Island resident Kimberly.
|| Wailmer (×3)
| Mr. Briney caught these three Wailmer while he was fishing out on sea. Even though the Wailmer were not what he was looking for, they were a good catch.
None of the Wailmer's moves are known.
|| Stick This in Your Craw, Crawdaunt I
In the Pokémon Ruby-Sapphire manga
Mr. Briney in Pokémon Ruby-Sapphire
Mr. Briney appears in We've Found Team Magma's Secret!! of the Pokémon Ruby-Sapphire manga.
In that chapter, he dressed up his Wingull, Peeko, before Red came by. During Red's arrival, he asked Mr. Briney about the stuffed bird and revealed it to him as Peeko. He told them that he takes Peeko everywhere he goes, including the rooms in his house. Later, Mr. Brunei revealed to the group that Peeko had a crush on someone, which was revealed to be Clefairy. Team Magma come by and demand Mr. Brunet for Peeko, in which Peeko refused to go with them, and attached herself to Clefairy. Peeko's attachment to Clefairy made Mr. Briney sad. When Peeko went racing around with Clefairy, Mr. Briney went after her, and tried to protect her from Team Magma. When a can fell off of a balloon Clefairy rode on, Mr. Briney read a letter attached to the can and revealed that she liked Mr. Briney and wanted to stay with him, much to Mr. Briney's amusement.
In the TCG
This listing is of cards mentioning or featuring Mr. Briney or his Pokémon in the Pokémon Trading Card Game.
|| ハギ老人 Old Man Hagi
|| 萩 Hagi, Japanese clovers.
|| Mr. Briney
|| From brine, salt water.
|| Mr. Marco
|| From mer, sea.
|| From Brackwasser, brackish water.
|| From marino, marine.
|| Means herring.
|| 하기노인 Old Man Hagi
|| Transliteration of his Japanese name.
| Chinese (Mandarin)
|| 哈奇老人 Old Man Hǎqí
|| Transliteration of his Japanese name.