From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
J (Japanese: Ｊ J), frequently referred to as Pokémon Hunter J, or Jay in some dubs, is a Pokémon hunter who, with the help from her henchmen, captures and steals Pokémon and sells them requested by her clients for a profit on the black market. She first appeared in Mutiny in the Bounty!.
In Mutiny in the Bounty!, she first stole Melodi's Gardevoir. Thinking Ash's Pikachu and Team Rocket's Meowth would be worth a sizable amount of money, she stole them, too, thus forcing Ash to join forces with Jessie and James to rescue them. Following a brief confrontation with J, they managed to sneak into J's airborne base and rescue their Pokémon and all the others she had stolen, before returning them to their rightful Trainers. Though several of her henchmen have been captured by Officer Jenny, J remained at large. Jessie, James and Meowth especially seem to harbor a grudge against her ever since she kidnapped Meowth.
J appeared again in Ill-Will Hunting!. This time, she was on a mission to steal a group of Shieldon, but was foiled by Ash and his friends, with help from Gary. Her client cut off the deal to obtain the Shieldon, since Officer Jenny was near. After telling Ash and his friends not to get in her way next time, she told her second-in-command to establish radio contact with their employer, in order to tell him that they would not be doing service with him again.
She appeared again during the two-part episode Pokémon Ranger and the Kidnapped Riolu! Parts One and Two where she tried to steal a special Riolu for her client. She successfully captured it and left after receiving her payment, but the Riolu was later rescued from the client, who was arrested.
She also appeared in Pillars of Friendship! where she traveled to the Snowpoint Temple and forcefully awakened Regigigas at the request of a client. Despite this, she was unable to capture it, due mostly to the efforts of Brandon and his Pokémon, and she immediately withdrew from the area when her client decided to cancel the deal.
J's glasses shown outside the sinking ship
J appeared again in Unlocking the Red Chain of Events!, where she was hired by Team Galactic to catch Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf. She also appeared in The Needs of the Three!, attempting to carry out the task of capturing them. Although she did succeed in capturing the Lake guardians, her ship was hit by two Future Sight attacks used by Uxie and Mesprit directly before she captured them, which in her overconfidence she had forgotten. As a result, her ship crashed into Lake Valor and was sucked into a whirlpool while she and her crew members were on board. Once the ship was underwater, the protective glass broke and the ship was flooded with water, causing it to explode. It is currently unknown if J, her Pokémon, or any of her crew survived.
She appeared briefly in Memories are Made of Bliss! in Team Rocket's fantasy riding her Salamence.
J is a person who is willing to do anything to capture Pokémon for her clients even if it means injuring people or Pokémon, easily revealing her to be ruthless, relentless, and cruel. In fact, in her debut episode, she sacrificed some of her henchmen to Officer Jenny without hesitation or remorse, emphasizing her intensely independent, sociopathic, greedy and callous nature. She has no honor, decency or regard for any form of life. The only thing that matters to her is money. She is one of the very few characters (including the Iron-Masked Marauder and Grings Kodai) in the anime who is purely evil. However, she tends to underestimate her opponents when on the verge of victory, which often leads to her defeat and seemingly her final downfall.
This listing is of J's known Pokémon:
| When Ash first faced J's Drapion, J wanted to watch Pikachu's attacks in action so she could steal it. While Ash, Jessie and James were infiltrating J's fortress to rescue Pikachu and Meowth, they were immediately spotted. Ash fought J's Drapion with his Aipom and Turtwig, but both Pokémon never stood a chance. Drapion didn't take damage from either Aipom or Turtwig's attacks, and struck the Pokémon with its Cross Poison. In Pokémon Ranger and the Kidnapped Riolu! (Part 2), J used her Drapion again in order to harm Ash without warning. It wrapped its claws tightly around Ash's midsection and began to squeeze him. Ash responded to this by kicking it in the face, making it one of the only Pokémon Ash ever intentionally hurt.
Drapion's known moves are Poison Sting, Cross Poison, and Pin Missile.
|| Mutiny in the Bounty!
| Voice actors
|| Unshō Ishizuka
|| Unshō Ishizuka
|| Henchmen's vehicle
|| Inside airship
|| Liquid adhesive
- J has what looks like some sort of cannon attached to her arm that is able to turn Pokémon and humans into stone. The effects are permanent unless Pokémon are placed in a special case or revived with Hidden Power. In Pillars of Friendship, it was destroyed when Regigigas reflected her Salamence's Dragon Pulse back at her. The device had been repaired or replaced by the time the events of The Needs of the Three! took place.
- She also has cases for those Pokémon turned to stone which can adjust how much the body is covered with stone.
- Her goggles also have many abilities, like detecting heat and camouflaged or transformed Pokémon.
- She has six-wheeled vans driven by her henchmen that can shoot out nets and have retractable arms.
- She travels throughout the Pokémon world in an airship which also serves as her hideout. This ship is equipped with a stealth cloaking device that can render the ship invisible which helps in deterring pursuers, mounting surprise attacks, and making her business dealings more private and less vulnerable to outside interference. It is also capable of firing lasers from its front and has a bottom-mounted cannon that shoots a gum-like substance for restraining and capturing Pokémon.
- Unlike most villains in the anime, it seems as though J is actually trying to murder Ash, not just get rid of him. This is shown in Pokémon Ranger and the Kidnapped Riolu! Part Two, when she commands her Salamence to burn the forest around him and use Hyper Beam directly on him, orders her Drapion to squeeze him tight with its claws, and ejects him from her ship from a great height.
- J is the only recurring villain in the anime to not be a member of a villainous team although she has worked with Team Galactic.