From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Lysandre (Japanese: フラダリ Fleur-de-lis) is the boss of Team Flare and the primary antagonist of Pokémon X and Y, who seeks to create a beautiful world. He is also the owner of Lysandre Labs, the company that created the Holo Caster. He is the only character in the games to have the Trainer class Team Flare Boss (Japanese: フレアだんボス Team Flare Boss).
In the games
The player first meets Lysandre in Professor Sycamore's lab in Lumiose City seeing potential in them, and then later in Café Soleil where he is seen talking to Diantha about her acting career. He discusses with her about the idea of eternal beauty, but she quickly dismisses the idea, claiming that she does not look for such a thing, much to Lysandre's annoyance. After this, he spots the player, where he speaks about his dream of a beautiful world.
Following this, Lysandre doesn't reappear until much later, after the player has defeated Clemont for his or her fifth Badge. This time, he speaks about the king of Kalos who nearly vaporized all life in the region 3,000 years ago by usage of a weapon. He also speaks about Xerneas'sX/Yveltal'sY role in the creation of the ultimate weapon, as well as their role in the creation of life and death as a whole. After this, Lysandre will regularly communicate with the player through the Holo Caster, monitoring their progress, and constantly showing his vision for a beautiful world as well as asking him/her to reconsider his proposal and join him on his cause.
Lysandre then appears after the player has received his or her seventh Badge. At this point, it is revealed through his Holo Caster message that he is the leader of Team Flare, and that he plans to use the weapon which he spoke about earlier in order to eliminate anyone not part of Team Flare, surprising both the player and their neighbor. The player later confronts Lysandre in person at the lab beneath his café as he wishes to test the player's resolve, and is then battled and defeated. Lysandre admires the player's resolve and strength and instructs him that if he wishes to stop him, he must get the elevator key from one of four Team Flare's scientists the player already met, while he retreats underground.
After the player obtains the Key and descends further into the lab, he/she meets with Lysandre who is speaking with a tall man behind bars known as AZ, who Lysandre introduces as someone who "shares the name of the previous King of Kalos" as well as possessing the key of the ultimate weapon. After AZ tells the player the tragedy left by the ultimate weapon and asks him/her to stop the device from being used, Lysandre invites the player deeper underground if he/she wishes to stop him. The player descends and he/she meets Lysandre talking with Xerosic. Lysandre then tells the player to battle Xerosic and if he/she is successful against the scientist, then they will stop their scheme. Even though the player defeats Xerosic, this unfortunately does not stop him from unleashing the weapon on Kalos. (If the player chooses the blue button he will activate the weapon by remote control, otherwise the player activates the weapon)
Lysandre is later found again at the site of the ultimate weapon in Geosenge Town where the player's rival questions him about his extreme measures to fix the world, which he replies that they are the only possible solution for he thinks humans are inherently evil and greedy. He uses the analogy of them competing over their Mega Ring as an example that when something cannot be shared, people will fight for it, for someone must live with it and some without and as such, more tragedies are likely to happen and therefore, the only solution is to reduce the human population. When further questioned about Pokémon, he tearfully claims that Pokémon, while magnificent beings, are condemned to be used by humans and, for the greater good, are best annihilated.
He is then battled again as he simply seeks to stall for time against the player. The player defeats Lysandre once again and shows further admiration for the player's strength. He then challenges the player to travel deeper into the Team Flare Secret HQ to stop the weapon despite his belief that it is already too late, but multiple members of Team Flare are waiting in ambush on the lower floors. After defeating them, the player reaches Xerneas or Yveltal. The legendary Pokémon is then battled and caught by the player, seemingly disabling the weapon. Lysandre returns, having augmented his body with cybernetic attachments and a visor similar to those worn by his followers, and declares that he will take the legendary Pokémon back and complete his plan. Now wielding a Mega Ring of his own, he engages the player in a final battle.
After being defeated for the third and final time, Lysandre expresses his disgust towards the fact that his beautiful world will never be a reality. The player and his/her friends attempt to reason with him, saying that if people cooperate together, a better world is possible, and they use the Mega Evolution achieved by him as proof of the bond he has with his Pokémon. He, however, rejects the idea as mere naivety and then attempts to force immortality on the player and their friendsX/destroy everyone in the buildingY and fires the ultimate weapon using what little power still remains. The blast from the weapon destroys it and buries Lysandre and the HQ under rubble. As a result, Team Flare disbands. It is unknown what becomes of Lysandre afterwards.
Later on in the game, an NPC in Snowbelle City who is an old friend of Lysandre mentions that Lysandre had noble intentions and did his best to help people in need, but was eventually convinced of humanity's stupidity, along with his own limitations which resulted in him becoming a misanthrope.
Sycamore Pokémon Laboratory
- "So, I will be able to meet them soon, then."
- "The children chosen by the professor… I wonder what potential they have."
- "Oh! You received a Pokédex from the professor then… How wonderful! That is a wonderful thing, indeed. You are one of the chosen ones. I am Lysandre. I've tried to learn as much about Pokémon as I can to help build a brighter future. Professor Sycamore has taught me so much. Oh, I see you have a Holo Caster! Knowledge is power, after all. Put it to good use. Now listen! It is vital that this world become a better place. And the people and Pokémon chosen to make the world better must work tirelessly to achieve this goal. Well, I'll be off. Please give Professor Sycamore my best. My desire…it is for a more beautiful world!"
- "You played a young girl so wonderfully in your debut on the silver screen. Wouldn't you rather remain young and beautiful forever and always play such roles?"
- "You were chosen to be a movie star, correct? Isn't it your duty to be ever beautiful? Everything beautiful should stay that way forever. I would make this world unchanging and eternal so all beauty will last forever.X/I would end the world in an instant so that beauty never fades.Y I can't stand the thought of the world becoming uglier."
- "Oh. Hello, <player>. This is Diantha, one of the most accomplished movie stars in Kalos. She moves the multitudes with her excellent acting... Which is to say, she dedicates her life to making other people happy. Oh! If only everyone were like her--what a beautiful world this would be! If you'll excuse me."
- "I would like to congratulate you as well. Mega Evolution is something I, too, would like to be able to use."
- "True. I'm a descendant of the king's younger brother. That being said, that story is 3,000 years old, so it might not be entirely reliable."
- "People can be divided into two groups. Those who give... And those who take... It's just as how the Kalos region's two Legendary Pokémon gave life and took life."
- "I want to be the kind of person who gives... But in this world, some foolish humans exist who would show their strength by taking what isn't theirs."
- "They're filth!"
- "Long, long ago, the king of Kalos sought to take everything for his own, and he created a terrible weapon. Then the fire of destruction was unleashed... That is the legend that has been passed down."
- "Kalos is beautiful right now! There will be no foolish actions if the number of people and Pokémon do not increase. That being said, the future isn't decided. You can't be sure each day will be like the one before."
- "What the king of Kalos did was reprehensible, but... The ultimate weapon did manage to wash the world clean of that era's filth."
- "Thank you for listening. Take that as an apology for my taking up your time."
Route 15 (Holo Caster)
- "According to Professor Sycamore's research, Mega Evolution releases all of a Pokémon's hidden energy at once. The Pokémon then exhibits a level of power it could not attain through ordinary Evolution. What meaning can we draw from this? Do all people and Pokémon have such potential, or is it hidden within a chosen few?"
Anistar City (Holo Caster)
- "Pokémon Trainers. I come to you by the Holo Caster to make an important announcement. Listen well. Team Flare will revive the ultimate weapon, eliminate everyone who isn't in our group, and return the world to a beautiful, natural state. Unproductive fools are consuming our future... If nothing changes, the world will become ugly and conflicts will raze the land from end to end. I repeat. We will use the ultimate weapon and wipe the slate clean. I'm sorry, those of you who are not members of Team Flare, but this is adieu to you all."
- "This world will eventually reach the point of no return... Saving the lives of all is impossible. Only the chosen ones will obtain a ticket to tomorrow. Do you want to have a ticket? Or, do you want to stop me? Show me in battle."
- "Excellent! I can feel the fire of your convictions burning deep within your heart!"
- "Wah ha ha! Your convictions, and those of your Pokémon, please me! You are here to stop me. But I ask you to wait. I tried to save people--and the world--with the profit from this lab. But my efforts had no effect... The world was just too vast...and too full of fools that I couldn't save through my hard work alone... That's why I decided the only way to save the world was to take it all for myself. I don't expect that I will ever make you understand how I think and feel... Try to stop the ultimate weapon if you must, but to do so, you will have to explore our lab and have Pokémon battles with all you meet."
- "Oh, and as for the Elevator Key, one of the Team Flare Scientists you've met on your journey has it."
- "Saving everything... The world is suffering because of this absurd dream..."
- "That is AZ. He has the same name as a king that lived 3,000 years ago. And for some unknown reason, he had the key to the ultimate weapon hung around his neck. It's finally time. Follow me to my chambers."
- "The only thing left to do is put the plan in motion. I'm counting on you."
- "One push of a button, and we can activate the ultimate weapon from this room."
- "I believe being a chosen one means you have the potential to change the future! Whether we activate the ultimate weapon or leave it safely underground will rest upon if you actually have this potential or not."
Team Flare Secret HQ
- "The ultimate weapon's flower has finally bloomed above the soil. Don't you find its beauty captivating? As we speak, it draws its energy from the Legendary Pokémon. <player>! I apologize that the weapon was unearthed even after you chose correctly in the lab. But conflicting egos drive this world--things don't always go the way you want!"
- "Even though resources, space, and energy on this planet are limited, the number of people and Pokémon has increased to an unsustainable level. Whether it's money or energy, the ones who steal are the ones who win in this world."
- "So, tell me. The Mega Ring, did you share it?"
- "When there is only one of something, it can't be shared. When something can't be shared, it will be fought over. And when something is fought over, some must survive without it. The only way to create a world where people live in beauty, a world without conflict or theft, is to reduce the number of living things."
- "Pokémon... Shall no longer exist. Pokémon are wonderful beings. Humans have worked with Pokémon, and we have helped each other flourish. But precisely because of that, they will inevitably become tools for war and theft!"
- "Enough of this. You want to stop the ultimate weapon, and I refuse to do so. So, I will keep you busy for just a moment..."'
- "The strength to protect, huh? But what are you really protecting? A tomorrow that will only end up being worse than today?"
- "You're as strong as ever. But... It's too late! There's no hope for you now! Go down to the lowest floor, and see for yourself!"
Legendary Pokémon Room
- "What a startling development! I never would've thought you were really a chosen one!"
- "So THIS is the mighty XerneasX/YveltalY?! I expected more from a Pokémon called a legend! You desire help from people? YOU need help from a human?"
- "For me, victory is using the ultimate weapon. In order to do that, I need to reclaim the Legendary Pokémon's power and send it to that weapon once again. I'll be taking the Legendary Pokémon back now! This time, I won't lose. I, too, shall use the Mega Ring and Mega Stone that you researched during your travels."
- "It's over... Fools with no vision will continue to befoul this beautiful world. They will go on until the only thing left to do is squabble over the remaining scraps of hope..."
- "If that were possible, all wars would have ended long ago! I can only see one future! One where selfish, foolish humans think about nothing other than themselves and steal more and more from one another... It's a tragic future!"
- "The original purpose of this device was to bring a Pokémon back to life. But the ancient king transformed it into this ultimate weapon... Hmm. When the Legendary Pokémon awakened, it took back much of its energy--its power--that had been sent to the ultimate weapon. There's not much power left... But there IS enough to use it once..."
- "<player>, Sycamore's pupils... Let us live forever... That's right! I shall grant you eternal life! I'll give you the pain of endlessly waiting for a beautiful world to finally be built!X/The ultimate weapon is a flower that bloomed to no avail... Just like me... But this ends here! I will show what its remaining power can do!Y"
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
Lysandre in Pokémon Adventures
Lysandre makes his first appearance in the X & Y chapter, where he is seen in Professor Sycamore's lab. The professor shows him a video of the battle between Xerneas and Yveltal that happened in Vaniville Town. Lysandre notes from the footage that Xerneas can give life while Yveltal takes it. He asks Sycamore to give him a copy of the footage for further study.
In the TCG
- Main article: Lysandre (Wild Blaze 85)
Full Art print of Lysandre
Lysandre is set to debut as a Supporter card in the Pokémon Trading Card Game with the release of the Japanese Wild Blaze expansion and M-Charizard-EX Mega Battle Deck, with an illustration based on the Ken Sugimori artwork of the character. It will also be released as a Full Art card with an illustration also by Ken Sugimori. With the same effect as Gust of Wind from the Base Set, Lysandre allows the player to switch the opponent's Active Pokémon with one of the opponent's Benched Pokémon.
- Lysandre shares three Pokémon with Cyrus, another leader of a villainous team: Murkrow, Honchkrow, and Gyarados. Their goal is also similar; both involve trying to wipe out everyone for some purpose and using Legendary Pokémon to achieve it.
- Lysandre's cybernetic suit, the Lysandre Machine, was meant to be used to drain Xerneas'sX/Yveltal'sY power into the ultimate weapon.
- Lysandre is the only Boss whose theme is a remix of his team's battle theme
||From fleur-de-lis, a decorative symbol used in French heraldry and is French for lily flower.
||French form of the name Lysander, meaning the release of a man or liberator. Lysander (Greek: Λύσανδρος, Lýsandros) was also the name of a Spartan admiral who ended a great war. The Lys- portion is likely a reference to the fleur-de-lis.
||From Flor de lis (Spanish for fleur-de-lis) and possibly crudelis (Latin for cruel)
||Eliseo (Elysium), is an Ancient Greek concept of the afterlife. The -lis- portion is likely a reference to the fleur-de-lis.
||Possibly a portmanteau of lys, (lily) and lion.
||Transliteration of his Japanese name