From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
- This article is about the Radio Director. For other directors seen in the anime, see Construction director and Director (AG165).
The Director (Japanese: きょくちょう Director) is the head of the Radio Tower in Goldenrod City. He appears in Pokémon Gold, Silver, Crystal, HeartGold, and SoulSilver.
In the games
A key part of all Johto-based games is Team Rocket's invasion of the Radio Tower. After defeating many Grunts, the player meets up with who is assumed to be the Director. It turns out that this Director is merely an impostor: Team Rocket Executive Petrel disguised as the Director. Once he has been defeated, Petrel will reveal that the Director is in the Goldenrod Tunnel. After rescuing him, the real Director will give the Card Key, that will give access to the fifth floor, where Team Rocket's Executives are.
Once Team Rocket has been conclusively defeated and disbanded, the Director will express his gratitude by awarding an item. In Pokémon Gold and HeartGold he will give the Rainbow Wing, in Pokémon Silver and SoulSilver he will give the Silver Wing, and in Pokémon Crystal he will give the Clear Bell. The Director supposedly found the item given when the tower previously there was knocked down, and they are all used in summoning a legendary Pokémon, specifically the version mascots Ho-Oh, Lugia, and Suicune respectively.
|| This article is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this article to add missing information and complete it.
Reason: Quotes from HeartGold and Soulsilver.
Gold, Silver, and Crystal
- "Director: Who? What? You came to rescue me? Thank you! The Radio Tower! What's happening there? Taken over by Team Rocket? Here. Take this Card Key. (hands over Card Key) Director: Use that to open the shutters on 3F. I'm begging you to help. There's no telling what they'll do if they control the transmitter. They may even be able to control Pokémon using a special signal! You're the only one I can call on. Please save the Radio Tower... And all the Pokémon nationwide!"
- "I'm begging you to help. There's no telling what they'll do if they control the transmitter. They may even be able to control Pokémon using a special signal! You're the only one I can call on. Please save the Radio Tower... And all the Pokémon nationwide!"
- In studio 1, after defeating Team Rocket
- "Director: <player>, thank you! Your courageous actions have saved Pokémon nationwide. I know it's not much, but please take this. (hands over Rainbow WingG/Silver WingS/Clear BellC) There used to be a tower right here in Goldenrod City. But it was old and creaky. So we replaced it with our Radio Tower. "
- "During the teardown, we found that at the top. I heard that giant Pokémon used to fly over Goldenrod in the past. Maybe that fell off a Pokémon. Maybe like the one that appears atTin Tower in Ecruteak City. Maybe like the one that appears at Whirl Islands. OK, I'll better go to my office."GS
- "We dug up that bell during construction. I heard that all sorts of Pokémon lived in Goldenrod in the past. Perhaps... That bell has some connection to the Tin Tower in Ecruteak City... Ah! That reminds me... I overheard Team Rocket whispering. Apparently, something is going on at the Tin Tower. I have no idea what is happening, but you might look into it. OK, I better go to my Office."C
- "Director: Hello, <player>! You know, I love Pokémon. I built this Radio Tower so I could express my love of Pokémon. It would be nice if people enjoyed our programs.
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
Hirō (leftmost) in Pokémon Adventures
The Director, known as Hirō (Japanese: ヒロオ Hirō), appears as a recurring character in this series. He first appears in Smeargle Smudge inviting Gold to participate in a radio show at the Goldenrod Radio Tower. He is later seen with DJ Mary broadcasting events such as Gold's race against Whitney, her visit to Mahogany Gym and the battles between Gym Leaders from Kanto and Johto.
In the HeartGold & SoulSilver chapter, he appears with Mary broadcasting the Pokéathlon events. When Lance's rampaging Dragonite suddenly attacks the area, Hirō ends up landing on its head. He is saved by Gold, who forces him to drive all the way to Ecruteak City so that he can see the Kimono Girls. When he arrives at the Ecruteak Gym destroyed by Arceus, Hirō decides to make a two-hour radio special to cover the events.
Later, when the battle with Arceus had ended, Hirō arrives, where he reveals his plan to Gold. Much to Gold's confusion, Hirō had recorded the events with a video camera despite working in the radio business. Hirō reveals that he plans on going into the television business, and has already thought up a show for children called Proteam Omega, which is based off of Red's team.
|| きょくちょう Director
|| Literally means Intendant.