From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
|| This article is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this article to add missing information and complete it.
Reason: Quotes (as NPC).
Hilbert (Japanese: トウヤ Tōya) is the male player character in Pokémon Black and White. His female counterpart is Hilda.
In the games
As the playable character
Hilbert is a boy who lives in Nuvema Town, as do his childhood friends, Cheren and Bianca. If chosen as the player, he will receive a starter Pokémon and a Pokédex from Professor Juniper. After setting off on his Pokémon journey at the same time as Cheren and Bianca, Hilbert will at some point be asked by Fennel to do some sort of quest; in return for its completion, Hilbert will receive a C-Gear.
As well as encountering and battling his childhood friends at various points during his journey, Hilbert will also meet a young man known as N, who wishes to create separate worlds for humans and Pokémon. In order to achieve his goals, he and Hilbert will battle several times during the course of the game. Hilbert also battles Team Plasma at various stages of his journey. Ultimately, Hilbert is recognized as a hero by Reshiram or Zekrom, depending on the version.
As a non-playable character
If not chosen as the player, Hilbert appears as the player's partner in the Battle Subway when choosing to ride the Multi-Train. Two of the following Pokémon are picked from the corresponding list, depending on what the player wants him to base his team on. If the player chooses "A balance between the two," Hilbert's Pokémon are chosen from either list.
In Black 2 and White 2, the protagonist of Black and White was said to be searching for N in a faraway region and has not yet returned home. His mom mistakes the player for him.
Battle Subway Pokémon
This is a list of all the Pokémon used in the Multi Train and Super Multi Train battles. Each Pokémon has a non-Hidden Ability that, along with gender, is randomly selected. These Pokémon will always have the maximum 31 individual values across every stat and the full 510 effort values evenly distributed among the noted stats (rounding down).
In the anime
No counterpart to Hilbert has appeared in the Pokémon anime.
In the manga
Hilbert has six counterparts appearing in various manga: Monta from the Be the Best! Pokémon B+W manga, Black from the Pokémon Adventures manga, Touya from the Pocket Monsters BW: Meetings with the Legends manga, Shin from the Pocket Monsters BW: The Heroes of Fire and Thunder manga, Hiro from the Pocket Monsters B2 W2 ~ A New Legend ~ manga and Black from the Pocket Monsters BW manga.
- Prior to the release of Black and White, pre-release media and most fans referred to Hilbert as "Black."
- English demos of Black and White referred to Hilbert as "Blair".
- English pre-release screenshots referred to Hilbert as "Kuro" (the Japanese word for "black").
- From a bird's eye view, Hilbert's hat looks like a Poké Ball.
- Unused text in Black 2 and White 2 indicates that Hilbert and Hilda were to be battled at the PWT.
- Hilbert and Hilda are the first player characters in the main series not to have preprogrammed names either by choice or in case one isn't specified.
- In the May 2010 volume of CoroCoro Comics, it was stated that Hilbert and Hilda are older than previous player characters, but it is not known how much older they are.
- According to game scenario author Toshinobu Matsumiya, Hilbert and Hilda were initially visualized to be at the age of 16. It's unknown if this is the case in the final product, however.
|| トウヤ Tōya
|| From 闘 tō, fight
|| Contains the Germanic element hild, battle
|| From Ludwig, Germanic name derived from the Old High German words hluth (famous) and wig (war)
|| From war
|| From Alcides, an alternate name for Heracles
|| From lucha, fight
|| 투지 Tuji
|| From 투지 (鬪志) tuji, fighting spirit