From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
|| This article is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this article to add missing information and complete it.
Reason: Missing role in the story info and moves for his Pokémon.
Tierno (Japanese: ティエルノ Tierno) is a friend and rival of the player from Vaniville Town in Pokémon X and Y.
In the games
Tierno appears in Pokémon X and Y as a friend of the player, to whom he gives the starter Pokémon sent through him by Professor Sycamore. He is a dancer and his goal is to create a dance team with Pokémon and wants to find Pokémon with amazing moves. As such, the Pokémon in his party know "dance" moves such as Swords Dance and Petal Dance.
Tierno is first met in Aquacorde Town, where he delivers the player and two of his or her friends a starter Pokémon on behalf of Professor Sycamore. He is then met at the Pokémon Center in Santalune City, where he gives the player a minor tutorial on what is in the Pokémon Center.
Tierno is first battled on Route 5, and then again on Route 7, albeit this time with Trevor. Tierno is next met in Reflection Cave, where he gives the player a TM containing Flash.
After the completion of the story line, Tierno can be found in Coumarine City, asking to see a Pokémon which contains a randomly selected dancing move each day.
Tierno also appears as one of the player's partners in the Battle Maison when choosing Multi Battle.
Gives to new Trainers
Tierno delivers these starter Pokémon to the player, Calem/Serena, and Shauna on the behalf of Professor Sycamore.
Battle Maison Multi Battle
Tierno will always use these two Pokémon as the player's Multi Battle Partner
- "Wow...Shauna's description was spot on!"
- "All right! Nice to meetcha! You know, it'd feel like we were a closer crew if we called each other by nicknames. Can I call you <player's name's first letter>-Meister/Lady <player's name's first letter>?"
- "I know right? It was such a cool feeling when Trevs and I met our Pokémon! Hope you feel the same way we did!"
- "Oh lighten up, Trevs! You're way too serious sometimes. Um, <player's nickname>... Please take this with you, too. It's a letter from the professor. He said you should give it to your mom."
- "All right! We're done with our errand for the professor. I guess Trevs and I will go look for Pokémon! Let's go, Trevs!"
- "This Youngster challenged me to a Pokémon battle! Let's go!"
- "The way Pokémon move--it's just incredible! I want to show off some of that spirit when I dance!"
- "I'll bet different Pokémon will use different moves. I sure want to see lots of moves."
- "Your Pokemon's HP... If it gets low, you have to go to the Pokémon Center <player's nickname>, I think you should go there, too."
Santalune City Pokémon Center
- "Oh! Hey there, <player's nickname>! Are you here to get your Pokémon healed, too? Pokémon Centers sure are great. You can talk to the lady at the counter and have her heal your Pokémon. And you can even deposit Pokémon you've caught in that PC! Know how Pokémon are sent to a PC when you've caught more than you can carry? That's where they go! Oh yeah, <player's nickname>! There's a Poké Mart in the back of a Pokémon Center. IT's a good idea to stock up on Poké Balls and Potions and stuff at the Poké Mart, too."
Sycamore Pokémon Lab
- "Hi, Professor Sycamore."
- "The best Trainer... If being the best Trainer had more to do with dancing, then I might have a chance."
- "No clue, but it seems hush-hush. I AM curious about what's going on, but we should probably stay out of it."
- "Hey, <player's nickname>! To get to Camphrier Town, leave the lab, turn left, and go straight. That Café Soleil Calem/Serena was talking about is over that way, too.
- After exiting Sycamore's lab
- "I'm gonna go on a little walk... The streets sure wind and wander here."
- "I'm out on Route 5 right now, and it's just hopping with wild Pokémon! Hurry and come check it out!"
- "Yeah! They're just like a dance team made up of Pokémon, aren't they?"
- "Nope! Even during Pokémon battles, I'm always checkin' out their moves! And then my feet just starting moving, too! I can't even help it, y'know? Like with Swords Dance! I love it! I guess that's why I can never win…"
- "Oh, hey, it's <player's nickname>! Do your Pokémon know any sweet moves? Show me in a battle!"
- "That was some nice footwork!"
- "Well, yeah, Trevs! Coming up with the world's best Pokémon dance IS my dream, after all! I was born to dance! I won't ever stop! Not with moves like this!"
- "Man, I really want to meet a Pokémon that can use the move Teeter Dance. Then I'd wanna dance with it, right?"
- "Oh, hey, <player's nickname! Trevs said he wants to check out the Pokémon Day Care. Come with us!"
- "Wow! A Pokémon will come out? Maybe I'll leave some Pokémon here! Having the same Pokémon with the same moves might step my dance up! How about you, <player's nickname>?"
- "Well, I'm gonna go look for some Pokémon for my dance team!"
- "Hey, <player's nickname>, have you seen Dunsparce?
- After being defeated in tag battle
- "Whoa... Now THAT was a nice move!"
- "Win or lose--either way, you gotta smile! If your Pokémon see you getting down in the dumps, they might be less confident."
- "Hey, <player's nickname>! If you use the move Flash, not as many wild Pokémon will turn up."
- "I kinda depend on Flash. I'm still not very good at battling, so I keep running into trouble... I sure wish I could be as good as you."
- "Hey, <player's nickname>! How's your journey going?"
- "Get this! I've found some great Pokémon dancers!"
- "That's right! He did say that! Ummm... Who were we supposed to say hello to again?"
- "Oh, that's right! He did say that! Well, I guess we should look for the Mega Evolution guru, then! Where do you think he is anyway?"
- "<player's nickname>, check this out! Isn't this stone cool? I got it from this person called the wandering stone collector for showing off my dance moves! It might be a Mega Stone! Here, <player's nickname>, you can have it!"
- Are you sure?:"I want you to have it, 'cause you're such a great Trainer and all... I still remember our battle on Route 5."
- "That's the Tower of Mastery? Sooo cool! Well, I'll go call Trevs, then. Go on ahead, OK?"
Tower of Mastery
- "Who's that you're talking to, <player's nickname?"
- "Uh, my name is Tierno. And that's <player> over there."
- If player answers Gurkinn's question in the affirmative :"Yep, sure was."
- If player answers Gurkinn's question in the negative:"What?! Uh, it was you who found it, RIGHT, <player's nickname>?"
- "Yeah, I think it's been since we met up on Route 7. Mr. Mega Evolution Guru... I've been wondering this whole time. Who is that over there?"
- "I'll Pass. Pokémon battling isn't really my scene. So, Mega Evolution would be way out of my league."
- "Trainers don't get much better than you two."
- "You're gonna fight over something even though you're friends?"
- After battling Calem/Serena
- "All right then! Let's aim for the top! Hope to see you again soon, <player's nickname>! See ya, Shaunee!"
- "Sorry I'm late, everybody! I was having so much fun with a sparring dance that I totally lost track of time!"
- "Yep! I sure did! I'm super close to my ideal dance team!"
- "Oh! Uh, OK, bye!"
- "So... Is it really that scary?"
- "What!? You're going inside? Are you all serious?"
- "Huh? Is it over already? I wasn't really listening."
- "I've had enough of dark places and scary things... I'd rather rehearse my dances. I'll see you all later!"
Poké Ball Factory
- "Did Shaunee and Trevs go running off just now? What's the deal?"
- "Shaunee, wait!"
- "Huh? Hm? What's going on? W-well, I guess I'll go help them!"
- "They took all of the Poké Balls by force? But they're for everybody to use!"
- "You're right, Trevs. Team Flare sure is terrible. What should we do now? According to the Town Map, Dendemille Town is next..."
- "Yep! As you can see, we're doing great! Thanks for asking! We worked together to save the Pokémon connected to the stones on Route 10! I mostly left battling with Team Flare to Sina and Dexio, though..."
- When encountering player and Shauna
- "<player's nickname!>! Shaunee!"
- "What are you two up to?"
- "<Player>! Can we have a Pokémon battle? Oh, uh...sorry to just throw that at you..."
- "It's weird, but… I don't get that down when I lose to you."
- "Geosenge Town made me think… If <player> hadn't been there, I wouldn't be dancing now, that's for sure. That made me want to get to know <player> better, and I thought a battle would be the best way to do that. It's kinda selfish of me, I guess. But it's also a way of thanking him/her!"
- "He's/She's off training with the Mega Evolution guru. He/She said friends are friends even if they can't be together."
In the anime
Tierno debuted in XY039 along with Shauna and Trevor, and his Squirtle. He first had a battle against a trainer's Conkeldurr and won. Later that episode, he battled Ash's Froakie. During his battle with Ash, he revealed that he dreams of forming a dance unit with his Pokémon.
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
Tierno in Pokémon Adventures
In Pokémon Adventures, Tierno is an aspiring dancer. Additionally, he is childhood friends with X, Y, Trevor, and Shauna. He is first seen standing in front of X's house while watching one of Y's failed attempts to get X to leave his house. He questions why Shauna even bothers coming with them when she believes that their attempts will end in failure. She replies that she holds onto the hope that they can one day come together as friends again. Their attempts are cut short when the legendary Pokémon Xerneas and Yveltal have appeared and have started fighting, causing Vaniville Town to be destroyed in the chaos.
Although Y manages to get everyone to safety with her Rhyhorn, Tierno is horrified to see his favorite dancing school get destroyed in an explosion. After the chaos had ended and the five friends grouped together, Tierno wonders what they will do now that their home is gone. To find some answers, the group sets off on an adventure as friends again.
| Corphish is Tierno's only known Pokémon. It was first seen with its Trainer in Vaniville Town in front of X's house. Later, it escaped from the rampaging Xerneas and Yveltal.
Corphish's only known move is Bubble.
In the TCG
- Main article: Tierno (Kalos Starter Set 39)
Tierno was introduced as a Supporter Card in the Pokémon Trading Card Game at the beginning of the English XY Series (the Japanese XY Era). First released in the Japanese XY Beginning Set, the Tierno card later debuted in the English Kalos Starter Set, with both prints featuring an illustration based on the Ken Sugimori artwork of the character. With the same effect as Cheren from the Emerging Powers expansion, Tierno allows the player to draw three cards from their deck.
|| ティエルノ Tierno
|| Spanish for "tender".
| English, French,
|| Same as Japanese name.
|| From benigno, kind.
|| 티에르노 Ti'ereuno
|| Same as Japanese name.