From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
|| This article is about a movie from the Pokémon anime that has not been dubbed into English. As such, its coverage may contain romanized Japanese names, rather than dub names.
| Pokémon the Movie: I Choose You!|
キミにきめた！ I Choose You!
|| July 15, 2017
| United States
|| November 5, 2017
| Home video
| United States
| English themes
| Japanese themes
| United States
| Great Britain
| New Zealand
Pokémon the Movie: I Choose You! (Japanese: 劇場版ポケットモンスター キミにきめた！ Pocket Monsters the Movie: I Choose You!; officially known as Pokémon the Movie 20: I choose you! in Japan) is the twentieth Pokémon movie overall. It premiered with Japanese vocals and French subtitles at Japan Expo on July 6, 2017. It was released in Japan on July 15, 2017, and will receive a limited release in US and international theaters on November 5 and 6, 2017.
It was first revealed in a teaser trailer that aired on Oha Suta in Japan on December 15, 2016. The full trailer was later released on March 2, 2017. A new trailer was released on April 8, 2017, officially revealing Marshadow to have a role in the film.
In a departure from the previous movies, this movie is a loose retelling of Ash's original journey through the Kanto region, in celebration of the Pokémon anime's 20th anniversary.
Other posters and logos
Pokémon the Movie 20: I choose you! logo
Ash Ketchum, from Pallet Town, is 10 years old today, which means he’s now old enough to become a Pokémon Trainer. Ash dreams big about the adventures he will experience after receiving his first Pokémon from Professor Oak... Yet, on the morning of his birthday, he sleeps in and is late at the Professor’s laboratory. Unfortunately, almost all the Pokémon are already gone. The only one left is Pikachu, and he doesn’t seem to like Ash much. ("You don’t like me?" Ash asks. "I like you a lot!") But the bond between the two will get stronger and stronger, and, on the first day of their journey, they see the Legendary Pokémon Ho-Oh fly over them and they find one of its feathers. Then Ash and Pikachu promise each other: "Someday, we will set on a journey to find this Pokémon!"
In their journey to achieve Ash’s dream of becoming a Pokémon Master, he meets other Trainers, Sorrel and Verity, and Ash hears for the first time about Ho-Oh’s legend: "The rainbow feather will show you the way to Ho-Oh, and the one to follow it will become the Hero of the Legend." Followed closely by the Mythical Pokémon Marshadow, Ash goes to Mount Tensei to fight his powerful rival. Will Ash and Pikachu reach the top of the mountain and honor the promise they made when starting their journey? The adventure only begins!
- Main article: I Choose You! Music Collection
Original Cap Pikachu and the Pikashunium Z
CoroCoro revealed that the special distribution for the movie is Pikachu in a cap, which will be distributed to those who pre-book tickets to the film. There are six variants for this special Pikachu, each based on one of the various anime series Ash was in. Regardless of variant, it will come with a serial code that will unlock the special Pikashunium Z, which allows Pikachu to perform the exclusive 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt Z-Move. In order:
- Original Cap Pikachu is distributed between April 15 and May 1;
- Hoenn Cap Pikachu is distributed between May 3 and May 15;
- Sinnoh Cap Pikachu is distributed between May 17 and May 29;
- Unova Cap Pikachu is distributed between May 31 and June 12;
- Kalos Cap Pikachu is distributed between June 14 and June 26;
- Alola Cap Pikachu is distributed between June 28 and July 17;
In addition, the Pikachu in a cap variants will be redistributed at a later date post-film release. Specifically:
- Original Cap Pikachu is distributed between July 19 and July 31;
- Hoenn Cap Pikachu is distributed between August 2 and August 14;
- Sinnoh Cap Pikachu is distributed between August 16 and August 28;
- Unova Cap Pikachu is distributed between August 30 and September 11;
- Kalos Cap Pikachu is distributed between September 13 and September 25;
- Alola Cap Pikachu is distributed between September 27 and October 9;
The player can only redeem a pre-ticket code booklet once, but the codes themselves can be redeemed as many times as needed.
The same day the second trailer for the movie came out, it revealed that Marshadow along with the bundled item Marshadium Z will be distributed in the Japanese theaters from July 15 to September 30, 2017. It was also distributed during two pre-release events in Tokyo and Osaka on July 2, 2017.
CoroCoro also distributed the serial codes for level 100 Ho-Oh based on the movie Ho-Oh that holds Sacred Ash in August 2017 issue.
It also revealed that distributions will be made on Mew for July 11 to August 7, Charizard, Lucario, and Piplup on August 1 to 28 by obtaining the serial codes at the 7-Eleven stores in Japan, with the latter three being based on Ash's Charizard, Sorrel's Lucario, and Verity's Piplup, respectively.
- Main article: Pocket Monsters the Movie: I Choose You! Remix
- Main article: Pocket Monsters the Movie: I Choose You! (manga)
A short promotion manga was included with the May 2017 issue of CoroCoro. Another tie-in manga called Get Fired Up, Marshadow! was included with the July 2017 issue of CoroCoro, this manga takes place before Marshadow meets Ash and his friends in the movie. An third manga called The Rainbow Hero was included with the August 2017 issue of CoroCoro. These three promotion manga were collected into Pocket Monsters the Movie: I Choose You! Remix together with Pikachu and Satoshi's Hat.
A separate manga adaptation started serializing on July 2, 2017 in MangaONE, a Japanese manga smartphone app by Shogakukan.
- This is the first Pokémon movie not to take place during the timeframe of the anime series running at the time, although the one-shot manga indicates it was a flashback that occurred after Ash won the final trial with Pikachu.
- Because of this, this is also the first movie to features no human characters introduced in the anime series running at the time of the movie.
- As of this movie, all the Legendary and Mythical Pokémon from Generation II have had a starring role in a Pokémon movie.
- This is the first movie to feature a Pokémon release, with Ash releasing his Butterfree after saving the Pink Butterfree.
- This is the first physical appearance of Gary since The Battle Finale of Legend!, over 7 years ago.
- Movie Editor Kunihiko Yayuma revealed some trivia about the movie in an interview:
- The movie is set in a parallel world that is split off from the main series, showing what would have happened had Ash received the Rainbow Wing from Ho-Oh.
- The number of Spearow that chase Ash was increased twenty-fold, from fifty to one thousand.
- The Ash in this movie is more fashionable than the Ash from the series and influenced by the design created by Ken Sugimori.
- Shoko Nakagawa was responsible for being the symbol of twenty years of Pokémon, with the role of Nurse Joy. She grew up playing the first generation of games, which is why she represents Pokémon's 20th anniversary by voice acting an "older sister" kind of role in the movie.
- Ash does not age. Yuyama said that "time has not passed since the start of the journey. Ash is eternally 10 years old".
- The Trainers from the opening scene are Neesha and Corey from Mewtwo Strikes Back.
- This movie features all of Ash's traveling companions prior to the Sun & Moon series making cameo appearances in the credits scenes, making it the largest amount of appearances of Ash's friends to date.
In other languages
|| Pokémon, le film : Je te choisis !
|| Pokémon – Der Film: Du bist dran!
|| Il film Pokémon Scelgo te!
|| 극장판 포켓몬스터「너로 정했다!」
| European Spanish
|| La película Pokémon ¡Te elijo a ti!