From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| Genesect and the Legend Awakened|
神速のゲノセクト ミュウツー覚醒 ExtremeSpeed Genesect: Mewtwo Awakens
|| July 13, 2013
| United States
|| October 19, 2013
| Home video
|| December 18, 2013
| United States
|| December 3, 2013
| English themes
| Japanese themes
| United States
| Great Britain
| New Zealand
Pokémon the Movie: Genesect and the Legend Awakened (Japanese: 劇場版ポケットモンスター ベストウイッシュ 神速のゲノセクト ミュウツー覚醒 Pocket Monsters Best Wishes! the Movie - ExtremeSpeed Genesect: Mewtwo Awakens) is the third and final Pokémon the Series: Black & White movie and the sixteenth Pokémon movie overall. It was released in Japan on July 13, 2013. It premiered in the United Kingdom on CITV on October 19, 2013 and the United States on Cartoon Network on October 19, 2013.
In addition to its Japanese DVD release on December 18, 2013, this film is included in a "Mewtwo Box" collection that includes The Battle of the Badge, Mewtwo Strikes Back, Mewtwo Returns, and Mewtwo — Prologue to Awakening.
The movie features Genesect and Mewtwo in prominent roles. The "Genesect Army"—a group of five Genesect—appear in the film, led by a Shiny Genesect while the other four Genesect represent each of the four Drives; Mega Mewtwo Y is also featured, prior to its debut in Pokémon X and Y. All five Genesect made an appearance prior to the release of the film in Meowth, Colress and Team Rivalry! during a flashback, while Mewtwo appeared in a special episode, serving as a prologue to the film.
In Japanese, Indonesian, and Filipino theaters, the movie was featured with the Pikachu short Eevee & Friends.
Other posters and logos
ExtremeSpeed Genesect teaser poster
Original ExtremeSpeed Genesect: Mewtwo Awakens poster
Alternate poster featuring Mega Mewtwo Y
DVD boxart featuring Mewtwo and Genesect
Genesect and the Legend Awakened teaser poster
Australian alternate DVD cover
ExtremeSpeed Genesect teaser logo
ExtremeSpeed Genesect: Mewtwo Awakens logo
Genesect and the Legend Awakened logo
When big trouble threatens the big city, it’s up to Ash, Pikachu, and their friends to stop it!
A vast Pokémon habitat amid the hustle and bustle of the big city seems like the perfect new home for a group of five Genesect. The arrival of these Mythical Pokémon quickly becomes a problem, though: their nest threatens the city’s power supply, and they keep attacking anyone who approaches it. On top of that, they’ve attracted the attention of the Legendary Pokémon Mewtwo, who sympathizes with them because its own origins also involve human tampering. The group’s leader, known as Red Genesect, doesn’t trust Mewtwo, and their confrontation quickly rages out of control! Can Ash and friends stop these two powerful Pokémon before they destroy the city?
Mewtwo is flying with a group of Flying-type Pokémon over a mountain range, and later the ocean. Deciding to challenge the limits of its power, Mewtwo flies ahead, Mega Evolving into Mega Mewtwo Y and ascending into the sky. Meanwhile, the Genesect Army arrives at a snowy area that their leader, a Red Genesect, believes to be their home. Confused and distressed, the Genesect carrying the Douse Drive calls out, "I want to go home."
Mewtwo reaches the atmosphere, but realizes it cannot stay there and begins falling. After changing back to its ordinary form, Mewtwo hears the Water Genesect's plea and rushes off to find them. An avalanche begins, and Mewtwo arrives in time to save the four regular Genesect, but the Red Genesect is swept up in the snow. Mewtwo peers into the Water Genesect's mind and learns that they were resurrected from three-hundred-million-year-old Fossils by Team Plasma but escaped, and they are now searching for their home and see everyone around them as enemies. The Red Genesect returns and attacks Mewtwo, initially out of a belief that it was threatening the other Genesect but later out of anger over learning that their home is gone due to the passage of time. Mewtwo watches as the Genesect Army flees. Later, the five Genesect discover a large city's skyline, and seeing it as similar to their home, the Water Genesect happily says "I'm going home."
Ash, Iris, and Cilan arrive in the central area of New Tork City and visit the Pokémon Hills nature park. Their guide, Eric, shows them around, and their Pokémon play with the wild Pokémon in the area for a while. Later, however, Pikachu sees the Water Genesect sitting at a pond and staring at flowers floating on the water. The Genesect becomes frightened and folds up, leading Ash to sit on it in the mistaken belief that it is a statue. It flies off with Ash riding on it. After landing, Ash strikes up a friendship with the Genesect, and it tells him that it wants to go home. Ash realizes this means that it is lost and promises to somehow help it get back home. Suddenly, the Red Genesect and Electric Genesect arrive. Perceiving Ash's petting the Water Genesect as harming it, they attack. The Water Genesect tries to stop them, but using its power, the Red Genesect forces it to attack its new friends. However, Mewtwo suddenly appears and protects the humans from the attack, and the Genesect leave.
In an underground tunnel, Ash, Iris, and Cilan thank Mewtwo for saving them, but it says it was only protecting Pikachu and Axew. Ash insists that Mewtwo tell them what kind of Pokémon they had encountered, so Mewtwo reveals that they are Genesect, Pokémon who were extinct for 300 million years until humans revived them from fossils. Mewtwo explains that it identifies with them due to its own origins as a Pokémon created by humans, then tells the group to forget they ever met it and flies off. Team Rocket, who was eavesdropping on the conversation, decides to catch both Mewtwo and the Genesect Army.
At the Pokémon Center, Ash spots a photo of the flowers he had seen the Genesect looking at. Eric explains that they are an ancient species known as the Panna Lotus, which he transplanted from Absentia Natural Park to Pokémon Hills. That night, while Ash, Iris, Cilan, and Eric eat at the Pokémon Center, the Genesect begin rampaging in Pokémon Hills, driving all of the Pokémon out of the park, except for a Feraligatr that unsuccessfully tries to fight them off. Once they have the area to themselves, the Genesect begin spinning a giant cocoon from sturdy threads, but the thread reaches underground into a power station, disrupting the power to the city. Team Rocket sneaks into Pokémon Hills, and Ash and the others rush there after being warned by a Sableye they befriended earlier only to discover all the Pokémon outside as a result of the Genesect rampaging. Cilan returns to the Pokémon Center to help an injured Ralts. Ash, Eric, and Iris try to enter but the Electric and Ice Genesect push them away, so Eric shows them a workers' corridor used as an alternate entrance. Meanwhile, Team Rocket attempts to capture the Genesect with a bazooka but the Red Genesect spots them and drives them off. The tunnel leads Ash, Iris, and Eric to the underground power station, where they discover the threads wrapped around the generators.
Standing on a bridge overlooking the city, Mewtwo muses about its own origins. It flashes back to its creators conceiving it in a tank and later torturing it during an experiment, at which point it escaped. As it recalls how it once thought it was alone, it then flashes back to being badly injured after a violent battle and being struck by a bolt of lightning, at which point it encountered a cave of wild Pokémon that took it in and cared for it. Having realized it wasn't alone after all, Mewtwo concludes that the Genesect deserve to reach the same conclusion. A pair of Starly arrive and inform Mewtwo of the Genesect Army's rampage in Pokémon Hills, so it sets off.
Ash, Iris, Cilan, and Eric reach the main area of Pokémon Hills and are approached by the Water Genesect, who apologizes for attacking them earlier, leading Ash to conclude that it couldn't refuse the Red Genesect's orders. The Water Genesect excitedly runs to a pool where it shows them the Panna Lotuses and tells them that it likes the flowers, which grew in its home. Iris realizes that the cocoon is the Genesect Army's nest and that they are trying to turn Pokémon Hills into their new home. When the lights begin flickering again, Eric realizes there is an emergency at the power station and rushes off to resolve it, for if it continues, the station will explode, blacking out New Tork City and sending it into chaos. The Feraligatr living in Pokémon Hills starts fighting with the Red Genesect again after breaking part of the cocoon, and when the Red Genesect uses Blaze Kick to knock the Feraligatr off a ledge, Mewtwo appears and rescues it with Psychic.
Mewtwo warns the Red Genesect not to attack the other Pokémon, but it refuses to listen. As a result, Mewtwo leads it out of Pokémon Hills while the Ice, Electric, and Fire Genesect begin attacking Ash, Iris, and the other Pokémon. Cilan returns to help, and the Water Genesect manages to resist the order to attack when it hears Ash's voice. The Red Genesect attacks Mewtwo as they fly through the city, ultimately forcing Mewtwo to fight back by ignoring all of Mewtwo's warnings. Mewtwo Mega Evolves and the two engage in a high-speed chase throughout the city. At Pokémon Hills, the other Genesect fight the wild Pokémon and eventually become overwhelmed, at which point the Red Genesect returns to protect them. When the Red, Fire, and Ice Genesect turn to attack a Persian, Ash runs between them in an attempt to stop the attack, the Water Genesect jumps in the way and takes the full force of its allies' power. After expressing gratitude for Ash being safe, the Water Genesect's eyes go dark.
The other four Genesect take an aerial formation and begin to attack the rest of the Pokémon, but Mewtwo arrives and shields them with Protect. Mewtwo gives the Genesect Army a final warning to stop their rampage or be defeated, which the Red Genesect ignores. All four remaining Genesect engage Mewtwo in battle around the cocoon but are largely unable to keep up, especially when Mewtwo Mega Evolves to increase its speed. To counter this tactic, the Red Genesect orders the other three to try dragging Mewtwo down with their threads, but Mewtwo breaks free using Psystrike. The three regular Genesect fall through into the power station, causing the generators to completely overload, igniting fires on the cocoon's threads and blacking out all of New Tork City. Team Rocket, wandering around in the dark, fall into a work site and land on a group of Durant, who blast them off with Hidden Power.
As Mewtwo and the Red Genesect speed around the cocoon in pursuit of each other, the fires on the cocoon spread. The Water Genesect wakes up and attempts to stop it, and Oshawott, Feraligatr, and the other Pokémon help it. The other Genesect climb out from the pit only to be trapped by the flames, but they are freed by Persian's Water Pulse. They then return the favor by protecting Ash from a falling piece of debris, having lost their aggression. The Water Genesect, however, is suddenly caught in a burst of fire and falls unconscious again. Up above, the Red Genesect manages to get in a hit on Mewtwo, nearly sending it falling into the fire; however, Ash, Iris, and Cilan catch it. Shifting back to its ordinary form, Mewtwo lands, as does the Red Genesect. After one last exchange of attacks, Ash runs between them and attempts to convince them to stop fighting. The Red Genesect refuses to listen and begins charging a Techno Blast at Ash, but the Water Genesect wakes up again and weakly begs its leader to stop. It is soon joined by the other Genesect and the Pokémon Hills Pokémon, but the Red Genesect refuses to let go of its quest and declares even its own kind to be its enemy, firing its Techno Blast.
Mewtwo has had enough. It Mega Evolves, blocks the Techno Blast, restrains the Red Genesect with Psychic and grabs it by the cannon before shooting up into the sky, declaring that they must go beyond the limit, where nobody else exists. It blacks out after flying so high that they both begin to freeze. A short time later, Mewtwo wakes up alongside the Red Genesect in the upper atmosphere. The Red Genesect is in awe of the planet, and Mewtwo explains that it is the planet where they were both born, that they exist for a reason, and that on this planet, they are all friends. The aggression fades from the Red Genesect's eyes, and it accepts the hand extended by Mewtwo as an invitation to return to their home. However, as they fall, Mewtwo blacks out again. The Red Genesect grabs Mewtwo and uses its last powers to send a signal to the other Genesect to "return home" before blacking out as well.
As the last of the fires on the cocoon is put out, the other Genesect get the signal that the Red Genesect and Mewtwo are falling and fly off to help. Ash sends out Charizard and Iris sends out Dragonite to aid them. The Genesect create a net of thread to catch the two falling Pokémon, and Dragonite and Charizard try to hold it up, but their efforts fail. Ash declares they will catch Mewtwo and Red Genesect themselves, and on a suggestion from Iris, all the Pokémon create a giant cushion of water, using Psychic type moves to form the cushion, to catch them. Mewtwo helps the Red Genesect up from the water, and it voices its newfound belief that everyone is its friend. As everyone expresses relief that the crisis is finally over, Ash spots the Panna Lotuses and realizes that he knows where the Genesect can go.
Eric takes Ash, Iris, Cilan, and the Genesect Army to Absentia Natural Park, a place where the Panna Lotuses still grow naturally. While the other Genesect build another cocoon there, the Water Genesect happily tells Ash that it likes its new home. Mewtwo then thanks Ash for helping find the Genesect a home and tells him it will always be grateful that they met before Mega Evolving and flying off. Ash, Iris, and Cilan express hope they will meet Mewtwo again someday.
In the ending credits, the Genesect complete their nest in Absentia Natural Park. Eric is seen guiding a tour of the completed Pokémon Hills now that it is open to the public. Many rivals from Pokémon the Series: Black & White go by, as well as Alder, Ingo, Emmet, Cynthia, Professor Juniper, Cedric Juniper, and Don George. N is shown walking alone over a vast salt flat area. Ash, Iris, and Cilan walk past a disguised Team Rocket at a café. Mewtwo arrives in another large city at night and lands on a building, overlooking the vast metropolis.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
This article is missing information on this character's English voice actor.
You can help by adding this information.
- Main article: ExtremeSpeed Genesect: Mewtwo Awakens / Pikachu and Eevee Friends Music Collection
Genesect distribution artwork
In Japan, Mewtwo was distributed at Pokémon Centers and other retail stores from June 15 to September 1, 2013 to players who pre-ordered tickets to see the film. The tickets were on sale from April 20 to July 12, 2013.
In Taiwan, it was distributed at select branches of Funbox from July 13 to August 15, 2013.
Genesect was distributed at theaters which screened the movie across Japan. It was available from July 13 to September 30, 2013.
In Indonesia and the Philippines, a Mewtwo identical to the one distributed in Japan was distributed to Japanese and English language games. In Indonesia, it was distributed on November 2, 6, and 9, 2013 exclusively at the Blitzmegaplex in the Mall of Indonesia. In the Philippines, it was distributed on November 16 and 17 at the SM Megamall in Manila.
| This video is not available on Bulbapedia; instead, you can watch the video on YouTube here.
| This video is not available on Bulbapedia; instead, you can watch the video on YouTube here.
- Main article: Genesect and the Legend Awakened (manga)
- This movie was released between BW133 and BW134 in Japan. However, it chronologically takes place no later than BW123, as Ash's official character bio for the movie claims he is still traveling through Unova at the time of the movie, indicating New Tork City is in the region. At this point in the anime, Ash and his friends had long since left Unova and are traveling through the Decolora Islands.
- The setting for this movie is based on New York City, with Central Park serving as the basis for Pokémon Hills. Director Kunihiko Yuyama wanted to create a contrast between the ancient Genesect and a setting that embraces technology and civilization.
- Several other places in the city also reference locations within New York City. For example, an area modeled after Times Square appears in a few scenes, and the Pokémon Center where Ash, Iris, Cilan, and Eric eat is modeled on the famous restaurant Tavern on the Green.
- When Mewtwo and the Red Genesect fly through a part of New Tork City patterned after Times Square, some of the video screens are playing a Pokémon Baccer match between the Jubilife Reds and Cianwood Greens, the two teams seen in the prologue of Zoroark: Master of Illusions.
- In the credits, a reference to the original Mewtwo is made when the Mewtwo in this movie is shown standing on top of a building overlooking a large city at night. This is the same scene that the original Mewtwo last appeared in at the end of Mewtwo Returns.
- This movie marks the first time that the final movie of an anime series features no Pokémon from the following generation.
- This is the fifth consecutive movie in which Ash and his friends do not meet Team Rocket. However, they are more prominently featured, attempting to capture Mewtwo and Genesect, as opposed to their brief, non-speaking cameos in the previous movie.
- This is the first movie since Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea to not feature Shōko Nakagawa as part of its cast. Instead, she appears in the accompanying Pikachu short, Eevee & Friends.
- This movie has the shortest time between its Japanese and English releases, at three months.
- The English title of this movie was shown on Taiwanese theater billboards a month before it was officially confirmed.
- This is the only Pokémon the Series: Black & White movie to feature Pokémon from generations prior to Generation V other than Ash's Pikachu and Meowth.
- In addition to the United States, this movie aired on October 19, 2013 in the United Kingdom, Spain, Germany, Italy, and France, as well as in Indonesia on November 2, 2013, and in the Philippines on November 13, 2013.
- In Indonesia, this is the first movie to premiere in theaters instead of on TV.
- In Denmark, this is the first movie to premiere on Netflix.
- This is the first movie to be released on DVD in the US before Japan.
- This is the last movie until The Power of Us to keep its Japanese soundtrack in the dub, a practice that started in the fourth movie.
- A Red Genesect TCG card is included in the English DVD release of this movie.
- This movie features a total of six talking Pokémon, more than any previous movie. In the process, this number surpasses the record of five from the previous movie.
- There were plans for the original Mewtwo to appear, but they were scrapped due to legal issues with Takeshi Shudo's estate.
- This is the last movie to be animated by Team Koitabashi. Team Kamei animated the movies from the seventeenth to the nineteenth.
- In a February 2021 poll held by the official Pokémon website, this movie was voted the most popular movie of Pokémon the Series: Black and White.
The Mewtwo Returns reference
Ash's eyebrow drawn over his hair
- In a scene during the credits, Ash's eyebrow is drawn over his hair.
- In the initial Cartoon Network airing, during the It's Always You and Me sequence, voices of the characters on screen can be heard over the song itself. This is corrected in the DVD release.
- It's Always You and Me replaces Summerly Slope as the opening theme.
- We're Coming Home replaces Smiling Face as the ending theme.
- The Netflix version of the movie retains "Smiling Face" as the ending theme.
- In the Australian theatrical and initial DVD release, the lyrics for We're Coming Home has the line "It's time to listen to their call" instead of "Can't wait to be with everyone".
- In the original Japanese version, Cilan says they are very lucky to see Pokémon Hills before it is open to the public. Ash wonders where Chansey is, as he thinks that Cilan was talking about the Pokémon since "lucky" is Chansey's Japanese name. In the English dub, Cilan says it was a chance of a lifetime; Ash then wonders where Chansey is.
In other languages
|| 神速の蓋諾賽克特 超夢夢覺醒
|| 神速の蓋諾賽克特 超夢覺醒 *|
神速的盖诺塞克特 超梦觉醒 *
|| Pokémon Filmen: Genesect og legenden der blev vakt til live
|| Pokémon de Film: Genesect en de ontwaakte legende
|| Pokémon-elokuva: Genesect ja legenda herää
| European French
|| Pokémon, le film : Genesect et l’éveil de la légende
|| Pokémon – Der Film: Genesect und die wiedererwachte Legende
|| Πόκεμον η Ταινία: Τα Τζένεσεκτ και η αφύπνιση του θρύλου
|| पोकेमॉन: थे मूवी गेनेसेक्ट और मूतवा एक शानदार कहानी Pokémon: The Movie Genesect And Mewtwo EK Shandar Kahani
|| Il film Pokémon: Genesect e il risveglio della Leggenda
|| 신의 속도 게노세크트 뮤츠의 각성
|| Pokémon Filmen: Genesect og legenden vekkes
|| Film Pokémon: Genesect i objawiona legenda!
|| Pokémon o Filme: Genesect e a Lenda Revelada
|| Pokémon O Filme: Genesect e a Lenda Revelada
|| Покемон Фильм: Дженесект и возрождённая легенда
|| Latin America
|| Pokémon: Genesect y el Despertar de una Leyenda
|| La película Pokémon: Genesect y el despertar de una leyenda
|| Pokémon Filmen: Genesect och den återuppväckta Legenden
|| Pokémon Film: Genesect ve Açığa Çıkan Efsane
|| Pokémon the Movie: Genesect thần tốc và Mewtwo huyền thoại thức tỉnh