From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Rica Matsumoto (Japanese: 松本梨香 formerly 松本利香 Matsumoto Rica) is a Japanese voice actress for the Pokémon anime.
Matsumoto was born on November 30, 1968, in Yokohama, Japan. Her most famous role is that of the main protagonist of the Pokémon anime, Ash Ketchum. After getting into theater at a young age, Matsumoto discovered voice acting and singing. She has since been typecast as young boys in Japanese anime series.
In addition to being a solo artist, Matsumoto is a member of two singing groups:
- JAM (Japanese Animationsong Makers) Project, with Hironobu Kageyema, Masaki Endoh, Hiroshi Kitadani, Masami Okui, and Yoshiki Fukuyama
- Tricycle, with Yoshiyuki Ishikawa and Keīchi Kodo
Also, Matsumoto hosts or has hosted three radio shows:
- I'll Catch Your Heart (Japanese: 君のハートをGETだぜ)
- Rumors About Him (彼奴の噂)
- Saturday HOT Request
* This song is credited in-character as Ash.
Other non-Pokémon roles
Video game roles
- 花の園 Hana no En, Flower Garden
- Rough Love
- RICA the BEST
- Alive A life (Kamen Rider Ryuki)
- Go! Now! Alive A Life Neo (Rider Time: Kamen Rider Ryuki)
- JAM Project LIVE 震撼～Return to the Chaos～
- JAM Project BEST COLLECTION II ～FREEDOM
- Her favorite Pokémon is Cubone.
- In Pokémon X and Y, Lass Anna's Japanese name is Rica, a reference to Rica Matsumoto. Like Ash, she uses a male Pikachu.
- Matsumoto has said that her overall favorite Pokémon League battle is the battle between Ash and Paul.