From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
The Roller Skates (Japanese: ローラースケート Roller Skates) are a key item in Pokémon X and Y that allow the player to move around faster than they would by running, but slower than they would on a bicycle, by navigating with the Nintendo 3DS's Circle Pad. They are based off of inline skates.
In the games
The Roller Skates are obtained from a Roller Skater outside the Santalune Gym after the player has defeated her in a battle. Unlike walking, running, and riding a bicycle, the Roller Skates require the use of the Circle Pad; pressing the directional buttons while using the Roller Skates will cause the player to take off the Roller Skates.
In some areas such as Route 5, Shalour Gym, Route 13, and Dendemille Town, there are rails which the player may traverse by using the Roller Skates. These frequently feature dips which will cause the player to fall off unless they are moving fast enough.
When going through tall grass, the player is reduced to walking speed and the Poké Radar may not be used.
|| Attaches roller skates to the bottom of your shoes, allowing you to glide quickly around and perform tricks.
The player can perform certain tricks while using the Roller Skates. Any trick requiring a ledge cannot be performed until the player has learned it from an NPC; otherwise, the player may perform grounded 360s, parallel swizzles, and drift-and-dashes as soon as they have the Roller Skates. These tricks are aesthetic and have no significant gameplay effect. Any trick being correctly performed will be indicated by a high-pitched whooshing noise.
- Parallel swizzle — Mentioned by a Roller Skater inside an office building on the western end of South Boulevard.
- When slowly moving forward, the player will begin to move their feet from side to side.
- Backflip — Taught by a Roller Skater on North Boulevard, outside Hotel Richissime, below a tree.
- Jump over a ledge while dashing or doing a parallel swizzle.
- Drift-and-dash — Mentioned by a Roller Skater at the monument in Vert Plaza.
- When the player begins skating or turns in the opposite direction, they gain a boost in speed.
- 360 — Taught by a Roller Skater inside Café Rouleu on Estival Avenue.
- Jump over a ledge while rotating the circle pad to perform a midair pirouette.
- Cosmic flip — Can only be learned if the player already knows all other tricks. Taught by Twirling Whirlwind in the Lost Hotel.
- While dashing towards a ledge, change to the opposite direction, then back. When jumping over a special flip is performed.
In the TCG
- Main article: Roller Skates (XY 125)
The Roller Skates were introduced as an Item card in the Pokémon Trading Card Game during the English XY Series (Japanese XY Era). First released in the Japanese Collection X expansion, it later debuted in English in the XY expansion, with both prints featuring an illustration by 5ban Graphics. This Trainer card allows the player to flip a coin and draw 3 cards, if the result is heads.
In other languages