From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
- This article is about the Elite Four member. For the character in Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia, see Big Bertha.
Bertha (Japanese: キクノ Kikuno) is a Ground-type Trainer and member of the Sinnoh Elite Four.
In the games
In Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, Bertha is the second member of the Sinnoh Elite Four.
- "Well, well. You're quite the adorable Trainer, but you've also got a spine. Ahaha! I'm Bertha. I have a preference for Ground-type Pokémon. Well, would you show this old lady how much you've learned?"
- When last Pokémon is at critical health
- "Dear child, don't assume for an instant that you've won."
- "Well! Dear child, I must say, that was most impressive. Your Pokémon believed in you and did their best to earn you the win. Even though I've lost, I find myself with this silly grin!"
- "You're quite something, youngster. I like how you and your Pokémon earned the win by working as one. That's what makes you so strong. Ahahaha! I think that you can go as far as you want."
- "The Trainer in the next room is a much more formidable opponent. You really must have your wits about you. However, I think you can go as far as you desire. Ahahaha!"
In the anime
In the Pokémon anime, Bertha was first mentioned by Lucian in An Elite Meet and Greet!, along with the other members of the Sinnoh Elite Four and the League Champion Cynthia. She was mentioned again in A Trainer and Child Reunion! by an Officer Jenny.
She made her first appearance in An Elite Coverup!, in which she, along with Ash and his friends, helped Roland get his Magby back from Team Rocket. After chasing them on her SUV, the group battled Team Rock and Roland was able to reunite with Magby. Later, Bertha had a battle with Ash, using her Hippowdon against his Torterra. She managed to defeat him easily.
Throughout the episode, Bertha advised the group to be more observant. While battling Ash, she mentioned that he needed to strengthen his power of observation. She also commented that Dawn should pay attention as well, since it would assist her in her Pokémon Contests. Bertha then pointed out how observation skills can be useful not only in battles and Contests, but also in everyday life.
She made a cameo appearance during the credits of the fourth and final Diamond & Pearl series movie, Zoroark: Master of Illusions.
This listing is of Bertha's known Pokémon in the anime:
|| Hippowdon ♂
| After Team Rocket was sent away, Ash and Bertha decided to battle. Hippowdon battled Ash's Torterra. Hippowdon often went underground and then attacked Torterra with a different move upon resurfacing. Despite this, Ash asked Torterra to sense Hippowdon when he was underground, managing to attack him with Leaf Storm. However, Hippowdon went underground once again and managed to attack Torterra a few more times, defeating it.
Hippowdon also appeared alongside Bertha during the credits of Zoroark: Master of Illusions.
Hippowdon's known moves are Dig, Iron Head and Fire Fang.
|| An Elite Coverup!
| Voice actors
|| Unshō Ishizuka
|| Tom Wayland
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
Bertha in Pokémon Adventures
Bertha, along with Lucian and Aaron, are enlisted by the Pokémon Association to decipher Charon's notebook that was stolen by Diamond's Kit. Together, they were figure out the hidden information inside of the book and they give it to Diamond and Pearl so they can use it to stop Charon from capturing the Legendary Pokémon of Sinnoh.
|| Hippowdon ♀
| Hippowdon is the only known Pokémon in Bertha's possession. Along with being used as transportation for Bertha, she was used to carry some books for her Trainer.
None of Hippowdon's moves are known.
|| Tackling Togekiss
In the Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Adventure! manga
Bertha in Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Adventure!
Bertha makes a brief appearance in Gathering of the Legendary Pokémon!. She watched Hareta's battle with Koya in the audience.
In the TCG
This listing is of cards mentioning or featuring Bertha or her Pokémon in the Pokémon Trading Card Game.
- In Pokémon Black 2 and White 2, Shauntal, Elite Four member of Unova, mentions the resemblance between Bertha and Agatha of the Kanto Elite Four as a quote from her novel during the player's post-National Pokédex challenge.
- While her Hippowdon is invariably female in the games and in Pokémon Adventures, it shows male coloration in other media—namely the TCG and the anime.
- Bertha and Volkner are the only major Trainers in the Diamond & Pearl series to use a Pokémon from their in-game Platinum team.
- Bertha is the only Sinnoh Elite Four member who was not seen battling Cynthia in the anime.
- In the anime Bertha states she does not like being called one of the Elite Four.
||菊 Kiku, the chrysanthemum. Sounds similar to "Kikuko". A common Japanese surname.
|| From earth. Also similar to "Agatha".
||From terre, earth.
||From Terrain, soil.
||From terra, earth.
||From Gaia, the Greek deity personifying the earth.
||들국화 Deul Gukhwa
||Combination of 들 deul, Field and 국화 (菊花) gukhwa (in Japanese kiku), Chrysanthemum, which is also a reference to Agatha.
||From the name 菊野 Kikuno. Literally means "Chrysanthemum field". Shares the character 菊 with 菊子 Júzǐ (Agatha).
|| Transliteration of her Japanese name