From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Scald (Japanese: ねっとう Boiling Water) is a damage-dealing Water-type move introduced in Generation V. It is TM55 as of Generation V.
Scald inflicts damage and has a 30% chance of causing a burn. Scald will thaw the user if frozen, even if the attack is rendered useless by an Ability such as Water Absorb and Storm Drain.
|| The user shoots boiling hot water at its target. It may also leave the target with a burn.
|Bold indicates a Pokémon gains STAB from this move.|
Italics indicates a Pokémon whose evolution or alternate form receives STAB from this move.
In the anime
- Scald is the only non-Fire-type move that thaws out frozen Pokémon.
- Panpour and Simipour are the only Pokémon able to learn Scald by leveling up.
- Emboar, Stunfisk, and Mew are the only non-Water-type Pokémon that are not related to any Water-type Pokémon to learn this move.
- Scald is the only damaging Water-type TM in Generation V.
- Scald is also the only damaging Water-type move that can be learned by a Fire-type Pokémon.
- Scald is one of two moves able to cause a burn that is neither Fire-type nor Normal-type. The other is Ice Burn.
- No Pokémon with the Water/Ice-type combination can learn this move, presumably due to the move causing burns.
In other languages