From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Roxie (Japanese: ホミカ Homika) is a musician who is the Gym Leader of Virbank City's Gym, known officially as the Virbank Gym. She specializes in Poison-type Pokémon. She gives the Toxic Badge to Trainers who defeat her.
In the games
Roxie appears in Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 as a Gym Leader. She is a musician who plays the bass guitar. Her Gym is a music club. Trainers who defeat Roxie will receive the Toxic Badge, along with TM09 (Venoshock).
Before the Gym battle, Roxie is seen in Virbank City outside of the Pokémon Center, arguing with her father about him becoming a movie star. He defends his wishes by commenting that Roxie balances her duties as the Virbank Gym Leader, and as a member of her rock band. He leaves, and Roxie gets angry and heads for the Gym, which the player can directly challenge.
After the Gym battle, Roxie can be seen near the port with Hugh and several of the Team Plasma Grunts. After the battle that follows, she gives the player HM01 (Cut) and then heads back to the Gym.
Roxie later makes a brief appearance after the player competes in the PWT for the first time, expressing an interest in competing in it (causing Clay to remark that word of the competition is spreading). Roxie does indeed compete in it later, along with most other Gym Leaders. In the summer, she visits Cynthia in Caitlin's villa in Undella Town.
Easy Mode/Normal Mode
Roxie uses three of these Pokémon in Single Battles, four in Double and Rotation Battles and all six in Triple Battles. She will always lead with her signature Pokémon, Scolipede.
- Virbank City
- Upon arriving in the city
- "Get real! You're a captain already, aren't you? If that ship doesn't move, you're going to cause lots of trouble!"
- "AAAAAAH! You dim-witted...dense...dumb...daft...dippy...dorky...doltish DOOFUS! Doing double duty isn't the problem! You're causing problems for people! Keeping people from getting where they're going because of sheer selfishness is unforgivable! I've HAD it! I'm going to the Gym!"
- Virbank Gym
- "Get ready! I'm gonna knock some sense outta ya!"
- During battle (the first non-KO HP loss)
- "I can feel your desire to win pouring out of you!"
- After sending out last Pokémon
- "It's not over yet! Time to turn this show around for a victory!"
- "Wait! I was right in the middle of the chorus!"
- "Sigh! What are you doing losing, Roxie?! Well…I guess that means you're strong! This stinks, but I gave it everything I had, and I feel revitalized and refreshed now! Here! Proof that you beat me!"
- "Two Badges! Now Pokémon up to Lv. 30, even Pokémon you got in trades, will realize how good you are and won't ignore your commands! Also, here! Use this TM!"
- "TM09 is Venoshock! It covers the target in a special poisonous liquid! Even better, if your target's already poisoned, it does double damage! Heh heh! It almost packs too much of a punch!"
- "Your Pokémon WANTED this win! Keep on going on like this, and do all sorts of stuff!"
- "You're going to Pokéstar Studios?! OH! I forgot! The old man! I have to get him back to work as captain!"
- "Using the Pokémon I like and getting through to people with the music I like is who I am! If you can do what you enjoy in the way you want, then great! Just be sure not to cause anyone any trouble!"
- Virbank City
- "So, are you guys Team Plasma, then?"
- "Split up! You, go check Route 20!"
- "If I'd lost, my precious Pokémon would've been taken! Thanks, you two! Use this!
- After defeating the Grunt on Route 20
- "I thought your movie was pretty good."
- "C'mon! Don't get down! You can keep trying while you continue on as captain! As long as you don't cause anyone trouble, I won't get mad. I don't know how the Pokéstar Studios people feel about that, though!"
- "Oh... Did you hear us? Well, it looks like everyone from Team Plasma got away... I don't feel really good about it, but at least they're gone. Oh! There was a lot of ruckus, but you can sail to Castelia City now!"
- Pokémon World Tournament
- "Hey! You two! Haven't you got any wild and crazy Pokémon battles to show me?! Guess I'll have to enter the tournament myself and rock the audience right outta their seats!"
- Before battle (first round)
- "Get ready! I'm gonna knock some sense outta ya!"
- Before battle (second round)
- "Fight with this Pokémon that way... Use this item that way... Are you letting others decide that for you? Well, whatever, but what's important is figuring out what you want to do! Get ready! 'Cause I'm going to knock the common sense outta you and drag you into a brand new world!"
- Before battle (last round)
- "You don't do anything! What do you know?! You don't do anything! How're you gonna change?! But, I've got you covered! I'm gonna give your reason a toxic shock and open up your mind!"
- "Wild! Your reason's already more toxic than mine!"
- If the player is defeated
- "Hey, c'mon! Get serious! You gotta put more out there!"
- "You didn't win... I lost! I was weak and made my Pokémon feel how much losing stinks! Watch out! Next time we meet, I'm going to give you a toxic shock!"
- "Ya can't win 'em all. It's impossible, seriously! Trying to look cool every time you mess up or fail is totally exhausting! So you just have to let it all hang out!"
- In the lobby, after the tournament
- "Congrats on taking first! Losing stinks, but still... You're a fun Pokémon Trainer to battle! I mean, c'mon! The Pokémon battling with you are all like, "We're gonna win!""
- Badge Case
- A Little Poison in Your Days, a Little Poison on the Stage
- It's kindness to say no for your friends and Pokémon, right?
- Menu interface (voice clips)
- "Hey, I'm Roxie! Whether it's in my band or in battle, I'll always give it my all!"
- "Stay tuned for some wild and crazy Pokémon battles!"
- "Poison days, poison on the stage!"
- "I'm bursting with energy."
- "We are fired up, and ready to dish it out like never before!"
- "We're climbing higher up the charts."
- "Got a sec?"
- "Let's go."
- "Ugh, come on!"
- "Huh, not bad."
- "I'm countin' on you."
- Battle interface (voice clips)
- "Let's blow their minds!"
- "Let's rock!"
- "We're not done yet!"
- "All right!"
- "We're winning this!"
- "Rock on!"
- Recalling fainted Pokémon
- "No way I'm losing next time."
- "Not bad."
- "Ugh, I gotta pull together."
- "Kaboom! We are rocking this!"
- Story Event - The Importance of Elegance
- "Hey! Just wanted to say your battle just now was suuuper rad!"
- "What's all this about elegance and focus, though? Did I miss something, or..."
- "Ahh, I think I get it now..."
- "You want my honest opinion? After watchin' you guys battle..."
- "I don't think elegance OR focus are what's really most important when it comes to Pokémon battling."
- "Well, in MY opinion, it's gotta be the beat! The passion!"
- "You start riffin', you build up a killer rhythm, and then BAM! You smash your opponents in the face with it!"
- "I guess it's kinda hard to put it into words... Let's just skip 'em! C'mon! I'll make you guys FEEL what I mean instead!"
- "I'll show you a Pokémon battle so wild it'll blow your mind!"
- "Gahh! What's goin' on, Roxie?! You weren't supposed to lose!"
- "*sigh* Guess I blew my chance at showin' you guys what I was talkin' about."
- "Really? But what about the beat? Did you feel the BEAT?!"
- "I guess you've got a point. When I'm playin' music, sometimes it's less about the beat and more about just chillin' and enjoyin' myself."
- Pokémon Center
- "You know, my old man has two jobs, too, just like me."
- "He's a ship's captain and an actor!"
- "Although I gotta say, he gets a bit caught up in acting sometimes and lets his ship just sit in harbor."
- "It's not good to cause problems for people, right?"
- "See, I want to support my old man's dream of becoming an actor."
- "I mean, I went and saw the movie he was in, and it was pretty good."
- "Sometimes, when I'm out exploring, inspiration just hits me out of nowhere!"
- "It's a great help to my song writing."
- "Especially when I'm with you!"
- "Sometimes, working two jobs can show you new things."
- "But you can't slack off on either of them!"
- "Hey, about you and your Pokémon!"
- "You're getting really strong, aren't you!"
- "Not just pure strength. Your will to win is getting stronger, too!"
- "Watching you gets me pumped, too!"
- "I'll never use my double duty with my band as an excuse for anything!"
- "I don't plan on letting you win our Pokémon battles, either, so there!"
- "The song I'm working on--it's going to be great!"
- "See, I'm making my adventures here into a song!"
- "Oh, of course you're gonna be in the song, too!"
- "There's no way any of my adventures here on Pasio would happen without you!"
- "I still want more ideas for new songs, though."
- "So that means you're gonna keep exploring with me, all right?!"
- Special log-in conversation (generic)
- "<Player>! I've been waiting for you!"
- "If you have some time, have a battle with me! I'm just bursting with energy!"
- "Aw, Marlon, let's take a break! We just got done battling!"
- "A professional man of the sea? You mean like a sea captain or a fisher, right?"
- "Huh? No, my pop is--"
- "I'll admit my pops is dorky, but even he's not this bad!"
- "So, ya know how we're both Poison-type Gym Leaders?"
- "Well, I heard there's this really strong Poison-type Trainer at a dojo on the Isle of Armor in Galar. Ever heard of it? And get this--she's a girl, too!"
- "Yeah! Then we can battle her and see how good she really is!"
- "Music to my ears! I'll roll up to that Trainer with an official letter of challenge, then rock her with my poison and really knock some sense outta her!"
- Jingle: "Woo hoo! All right! It's 'The National Gymquirer'!"
- Page: "That's right! We collect the hottest gossip about Gym Leaders seen around town! Here is today's letter. From someone going by the name RoxieForever! Thank yooou! 'This is a story about the first time I ever went to one of Roxie's shows! Many fans collapsed from the toxic power of her songs. Roxie's really a toxic shock to the system, isn't she?!' Maybe they were just too excited and fainted. Make sure to drink lots of fluids when you go to concerts! 'The National Gymquirer'! We eagerly await your letters!"
In the anime
Roxie appeared in Rocking the Virbank Gym! Part 1 and Part 2. Like the games, she is a musician who plays the bass guitar. She fronts Unova's top punk rock band named "Koffing and the Toxics", with Roughneck Nicky and Guitarist Billy Jo as the other members.
She is also a powerful Gym Leader, defeating everyone who dared to challenge her with only three Pokémon even when they challenged her with six. When Ash arrived at her Gym, she was thrilled to see his Pikachu, as she too had a Pokémon originating from Kanto, Koffing, and happily accepted his challenge.
Roxie defeated five out of six of Ash's Pokémon, except for Pikachu, who knocked out Roxie's Garbodor. When she was defeated, she happily congratulated Ash as the crowd cheered for his victory, and she presented him with his eighth and final Unova Badge, the Toxic Badge.
She reappeared in a flashback in Curtain Up, Unova League!. She also made a cameo appearance in the ending credits of Genesect and the Legend Awakened.
Roxie is brimming with confidence. She is determined to prove her strength against all challengers, with the Virbank Gym's unique rules giving the challenger the opportunity to use up to six Pokémon against Roxie's three. Her usual battle strategy is to poison her opponent's Pokémon before dealing damage with some heavy-hitting attacks. She is highly perceptive and has developed counter strategies to take out her challengers in quick succession.
Roxie proved herself to be a very capable Gym Leader, defeating five of Ash's six Pokémon despite being at a disadvantage in terms of her party. She would occasionally perform a riff on her bass during the battle, and the crowd would chant her name. Despite their status as opponents, she also preferred giving Ash a fairer chance, offering Pignite a Pecha Berry to heal its poisoning after it defeated Scolipede when she could have simply let the battle continue with Pignite weakening.
This listing is of Roxie's known Pokémon in the anime:
| Koffing was the first Pokémon Roxie used against Ash in their Gym battle. She captured it while she was touring in Kanto, and it inspired her to assemble her rock band, "Koffing and the Toxics". When Ash, Cilan, and Iris arrived at the Gym, it was seen defeating a Trainer's Gothitelle despite the type disadvantage. During the match, it defeated Ash's Boldore and Unfezant rather easily, but was later defeated by Leavanny, who used String Shot to tie Koffing up and then hit it with Energy Ball.
Koffing's known moves are Clear Smog, Gyro Ball, Sludge Bomb, and Will-O-Wisp.
|| Rocking the Virbank Gym! Part 1
| Voice actors
|| Kensuke Satō
|| Bill Rogers
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
Roxie in Pokémon Adventures
Roxie debuts in the Black 2 & White 2 chapter. She was first mentioned by students at the Aspertia City Trainers' School as a possible invite to perform at a cultural festival.
She debuts in person in New Sword Player, where Blake takes Whitley to a concert she performed at. Blake later asks Roxie to be a judge at the Autumn Choir Tournament, which she happily accepts. After the tournament ended, Roxie has her father take the winning team and their class to Castelia City.
Shortly after arriving at their destination, Roxie discovered an executive member associated with the Unova Choir Tournament. The executive revealed that a group of villains attacked him and stole his Karrablast in an attempt to "liberate" it. Angered, Roxie, Blake, Whitley, and Hugh traveled to the Castelia Sewers in order to confront the villains. After investigating the area, the group was attacked by the villains, who turn out to be Team Plasma. When Hugh sees the Team Plasma members, he flies into a rage and begins attacking them, only to fail when the Muk begin swarming after everyone, forcing the group to scatter.
The Grunts eventually back Roxie and Whitley into a corner, forcing Roxie to battle them. Roxie eventually gets overwhelmed by the number of opponents, but Whitley easily defeats the Muk by using knowledge she learned at school. With their Pokémon defeated, the Grunts retreat and throw the Pokémon they stole away. After retrieving the stolen Pokémon, Roxie and Whitley exit the Sewers and return to Whitley's class at Prime Pier. After Roxie goes on ahead to return the Karrablast to the executive, the group is approached by Hugh, who reveals to everyone about the encounter with Team Plasma at the Sewers. He also reveals that one of the girls in the class is a member of Team Plasma and presents a pendant containing a picture of N he found as proof. When Whitley comes out of hiding to stop Hugh, everyone finds her behavior strange and they begin to question if Whitley was the person Hugh was talking about. Nervous and panicking, Whitley has Foongy release its spores everywhere, causing everyone except for Hugh to fall asleep.
Roxie and the class later awaken at the Marine Tube. There, they meet Benga, another student at the Trainers' School, who reveals that he found the unconscious people and took them to a safe location alongside Marlon. Benga and Marlon reveal that Team Plasma has begun freezing several other locations across Unova with their flying ship, the Plasma Frigate. They also reveal that they plan on gathering allies to confront Team Plasma and ask Roxie and Cheren to join them.
| Whirlipede is Roxie's only known Pokémon. It was sent out to assist Roxie in finding the villains who attacked a man and stole his Karrablast. At the Castelia Sewers, Whirlipede was used to battle the Team Plasma Grunts' Muk. Due to being a Poison-type expert, Roxie managed to hold her own in battle, but was eventually overwhelmed by the number of opponents.
None of Whirlipede's moves are known.
|| Angry Boy
In the Pocket Monsters B2 W2 ~ A New Legend ~ manga
Roxie in Pocket Monsters B2 W2 ~ A New Legend ~
Roxie appeared in ANL2 where she punched two Team Plasma Grunts away. Seeing the incident, Roxie wasn't convinced that Arata could take care of any Pokémon. Roxie decided to settle their score with a Pokémon battle, with Arata using the Pokémon he was able to protect from Team Plasma. During the middle of the battle, Bianca recognized Roxie as a singer and Trainer from Virbank City. Roxie confirmed her talents to Arata and doesn't sense the heart in him to become a Pokémon Trainer. After Arata protected Oshawott from a falling light pole, Oshawott was able to defeat Roxie. She then promised to Arata that she will battle him seriously next time and told him that she was the Gym Leader in the Virbank Gym.
| Koffing is Roxie's only known Pokémon. She used Koffing against Arata's Oshawott in their battle and lost.
None of Koffing's moves are known.
In the TCG
This listing is of cards mentioning or featuring Roxie in the Pokémon Trading Card Game.
- Roxie's Japanese Leader title is ポイズンライフ ポイズンライブ！.
- Her bass is styled similarly to the Venipede evolutionary family.
- She is the first Gym Leader to appear in the anime before her debut in the games.
|| ホミカ Homika
|| From ホミカ homika (strychnine tree), a poisonous plant
| English, Brazilian
|| From toxic and rock music
|| From Strychnos nux-vomica (scientific name of strychnine tree)
|| From hiedra venenosa (poison ivy)
|| From Strychnos nux-vomica (scientific name of strychnine tree)
|| From veleno (venom)
|| 보미카 Vomica
|| From Strychnos nux-vomica.
| Chinese (Mandarin)
|| 霍米加 Huòmǐjiā
|| Transcription of her Japanese name
| Chinese (Cantonese)
|| 霍米加 Fokmáihgā
|| Transcription of her Japanese name