Check the Bulbagarden home page for up-to-date Pokémon news and discuss it on the forums or in the Bulbagarden Discord server.
Wonder Guard (Ability)
Wonder Guard (Japanese: ふしぎなまもり Mysterious Protection) is an Ability introduced in Generation III. It is the signature Ability of Shedinja.
|This Ability effect may be in need of research. |
Reason: Does the type-effectiveness negating effect of the strong winds make a move unable to hit through Wonder Guard if a Flying-type has the Ability?
You can discuss this on the talk page.
A Pokémon with Wonder Guard is immune against damaging moves that are not super effective.
This also applies to damaging moves that do not increase their damage based on type effectiveness, such as those that deal fixed damage, counterattack moves, and one-hit knockout moves. For example, a Shedinja (Bug/Ghost) with Wonder Guard is immune to Metal Burst (Steel-type), Psywave (Psychic-type), and Fissure (Ground-type), but not Night Shade (Ghost-type).
A typeless Pokémon with Wonder Guard (such as a pure Fire-type that used Burn Up) is immune against damaging moves of all types.
Wonder Guard does not protect against status moves (for instance, Tail Whip or Poison Powder) or against Struggle, and it does not prevent indirect damage such as from burn, poison, confusion, weather, recoil or entry hazards.
Wonder Guard can be bypassed by a move used by a Pokémon with an Ability that ignores Abilities (such as Mold Breaker), or by a move that ignores Abilities (such as Sunsteel Strike).
Role Play fails if the target has the Ability Wonder Guard. Skill Swap fails if either Pokémon has Wonder Guard. Wonder Guard cannot be copied by Power of Alchemy or Receiver. Wandering Spirit will not swap Abilities with Wonder Guard.
Beat Up, Future Sight and Doom Desire bypass Wonder Guard, as those moves deal typeless damage prior to Generation V.
Due to a glitch, Fire Fang is able to hit through Wonder Guard, even if the target does not have a weakness to Fire-type moves.
Generation V onwards
Fire Fang, Beat Up, Future Sight and Doom Desire no longer bypass Wonder Guard.
Outside of battle
Wonder Guard has no effect outside of battle.
Pokémon with Wonder Guard
|#||Pokémon||Types||First Ability||Second Ability||Hidden Ability|
|Please note that this is only 100% accurate to Generation IX games.
Pokéstar Studios opponents with Wonder Guard
In other games
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series
Wonder Guard makes the Pokémon immune to damaging moves that are not super effective. It does not prevent any indirect damage, such as from burn, weather and recoil. It also does not protect the Pokémon against other typeless damage such as from traps, throwing items, or wands. Damage taken from regular attacks is reduced to 1.
In the anime
|The Pokémon is immune to all moves that it's not weak against.|
|User||First Used In||Notes|
|Shedinja||When an attack that is not super effective hits Shedinja, it simply bounces off its body. If a move that is super effective hits Shedinja, it is automatically knocked out.|
|Colonel Hansen's Shedinja||The Princess and the Togepi||Debut|
In the manga
- In Sneaky Like Shedinja, Greta's Shedinja was mentioned to have Wonder Guard as its Ability.
- Crystal's Shedinja is revealed to have Wonder Guard as its Ability.
- Prior to the introduction of the Fairy-type in Generation VI, the type combination of Dark/Ghost had no weaknesses. When combined with Wonder Guard, this prevents all direct damage.
- This immunity was showcased in-game with the Pokéstar Studios opponent Majin, requiring the player to deal indirect damage or change Majin's Ability or type to defeat it.
- If a pure Electric-type or a Poison/Dark-type Pokémon has Wonder Guard (e.g. Shedinja using Reflect Type or Entrainment via Mimic on a pure Electric-type or a Poison/Dark-type Pokémon) and holds an Air Balloon, it becomes immune to all 18 types. However, these combinations can be hit by Ground-type moves during Gravity, as well as Thousand Arrows.
- This can be also done by having a pure Fire-type Pokémon use Burn Up if it acquires Wonder Guard (by Shedinja using Entrainment via Mimic on that Pokémon), with the added trait of removing the weaknesses against Gravity and Thousand Arrows.
In other languages
|This article is part of Project Moves and Abilities, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on two related aspects of the Pokémon games.|