Artwork with Pikachu
In the games
Hanbei and Kanbei do not appear at all during The Legend of Ransei, making their first appearance during Hideyoshi's story: Happily Ever After. With their help, Hideyoshi eventually brings Ransei together as one peaceful nation.
|Warrior Skill||Added Bonus|
- Transforms to Rank II by reaching a 60% link with Pikachu or Raichu while Kanbei is in the same kingdom.
|Unite Ransei stories||Collect 100 Pokémon stories||Junior Warlord stories|
- Start of turn:
- When asleep:
- "Yeah, I wanna sleep too..."
- With low health or a status ailment:
- "Uh-oh! This isn't looking so hot..."
- When victory is near:
- "Let's finish this one off."
- "Okay, then! Let's make a move!"
- Start of battle:
- When attacking a castle:
- "Let's do this before I fall asleep."
- When defending a castle:
- "Your luck has just run out."
- During battle:
- "Hey, <Pokémon's name>, I've been thinking. The thing about battles is... They'd be a lot better if you could win them in your sleep, don't you think?"
- When ordering to attack:
- "<Pokémon's name>, <move's name>!"
- When ordering to go to battle:
- To a kingdom:
- "Right, then! Let's wrap this up quickly, shall we?"
- To a wild Pokémon location:
- "Off, off, off we go!"
- Upon forming a link:
- "Yup! I formed a link! C'mon, <Pokémon's name>—let's go!"
- Upon finding a Perfect Link:
- "Pikachu/Raichu... There's something about you that's a little bit different from other Pokémon I've met. D'ya get me? I feel as though I'd be way more energetic if you were around, Pikachu/Raichu! Probably. Anyway, let's be friends!"
- When Pikachu evolves when Hanbei is at Rank II:
- "Now I sense an even greater power than we had before, Raichu. You feel it too, right? Let's stay friends, Raichu!"
- When using an item:
- "Use my <item>!"
- When using his Warrior Skill:
- "Fact is, I'm a genius!"
- After winning a battle:
- If he attacked a castle:
- "Well, everyone knew before we started that I was gonna win, right?"
- If he defended a castle:
- "I'm busy too, you know. I don't have time to waste doing this."
- When defeated:
- If recruitable:
- "You know, I find you intriguing. I could learn something from you."
- If defeated by something other than the enemy:
- "Why would that happen...?"
- "Argh! I knew I should have stayed in bed today..."
- When being recruited:
- "You don't have to look quite so desperate. I'll join you."
- Before evolution:
- "Huh? What's going on with my <Pokémon's name>?"
- After evolution:
- "Hey, I thought so! Yeah, you look pretty good like that!"
- "Why?! Why did this happen? Well guess we've no choice but to get 'em back! C'mon, <Pokémon's name>!"
- When a rare Pokémon appears in a kingdom:
- "This could be a good chance, you know! Well, there's no harm in trying, anyway."
- When the player's army has conquered 10 kingdoms:
- "Wow, <player>'s army's sure got bigger... Big enough to stamp out, I'd say!"
- When delegating:
- Before a delegation is chosen:
- "What should I do for you?"
- After a delegation is chosen:
- ""Yup! I can handle that!"
- When a delegation isn't chosen:
- "Phew! Now I can relax for a bit."
- When mining:
- When about to mine:
- "Okay! Let's get cracking!"
- When successful in mining:
- "Hey, good one!"
- When unsuccessful in mining:
- At the start of Happily Ever After:
- "Aw, Kanbei... You're always such a downer..."
- At the end of Happily Ever After:
- "Lord Hideyoshi... Isn't that...?"
- At the start of The Reluctant Genius:
- "Eh? Me?"
- "Oh, my lord... Can't you just let me sleep? I really can't be bothered with this, Kanbei. Let's get it over with as soon as possible..."
- "Hehe. Didn't you hear him, Kanbei? I'm the Warlord of this kingdom now. He should be the one who watches his mouth in front of me!"
- At the end of The Reluctant Genius:
- "It was nothing. That's just the way I—(cough) (cough cough cough)..."
- "No. It's nothing. Just something in my throat."
- "Don't make that face, Kanbei. You should be happy for me."
- "You're not wrong! And your kids will probably look like that as well, Kanbei!"
- At the start of The Visionary's Quest:
- "To be honest, being a Warlord is such a pain. Why don't you do it, Kanbei? In fact, I'm older than you, so it's my decision! From now on, you're the Warlord around here!"
- "Hm? Yeah, of course. It's all yours, Kanbei. So, what are your orders, Lord Kanbei?"
- "Oh! Aiming a little high, aren't we? All right, let's do this!"
- At the end of The Visionary's Quest:
- "Three cheers for Lord Kanbei! You did it, my lord. Looks like we work well together, eh? Two geniuses are pretty tough to stop."
- "Hey, now... I don't want to talk about that. I just wanted to see what you were really capable of, Lord Kanbei! I wanted to see you...smile!"
- "What? Come on, man! There are times when it's all right to smile, you know! Times like this!"
- "You're just way too uptight, Lord Kanbei! But I guess you're not going to change. Okay, what's our next mission...?"
A genius with truly astonishing brainpower and a confidence that doesn't quite fit his appearance, his dream is to spend every day sleeping.
In the manga
In the Pokémon + Nobunaga's Ambition ~ Ranse's Color Picture Scroll ~ manga
Hanbei debuted in The Yellow Scroll: Hanbei vs Kanbei.
|Mareep is Hanbei's only known Pokémon.|
|Debut||The Yellow Scroll: Hanbei vs Kanbei|
|Pikachu is Hanbei's only known Pokémon.|
|Debut||The Yellow Scroll: Hanbei vs Kanbei|
- Hanbei has the lowest Power of any Warlord. This is likely a reference to his historical counterpart having tuberculosis, an illness that killed him midway through his life. He is also alluded to be sick during the end of his story, The Reluctant Genius.
Hanbei is based on the real-life Takenaka Shigeharu of Japanese history, who was also known by the name "Hanbei" (半兵衛). He was an expert tactician who successfully executed an uprising against the Saitō clan. Toyotomi Hideyoshi was so impressed by Shigeharu's strategy, he invited him to join his army as a strategist.
Hero/Heroine • Nobunaga • Oichi • Hideyoshi • Motochika • Ginchiyo • Motonari • Mitsuhide • Yoshihiro
|This game character article is part of Project CharacterDex, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on each character found in the Pokémon games.|