From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Artwork with Pikachu
|| Electric, Fire
| Default Pokémon
Hanbei (Japanese: ハンベエ) is a Warlord in Pokémon Conquest.
He, along with Kanbei, is one of Hideyoshi's personal advisors and junior Warlords. Despite his appearance, Hanbei is the older of the two.
In the games
Hanbei and Kanbei do not appear at all during The Legend of Ransei, making their first appearance during Hideyoshi's story: Happily Ever After. With their help, Hideyoshi eventually brings Ransei together as one peaceful nation.
In Hanbei's story, The Reluctant Genius, Hideyoshi chooses Hanbei to represent Ignis. He is also in Kanbei's army at the beginning of Kanbei's story; The Visionary's Quest.
| Warrior Skill
|| Added Bonus
| Perfect Links
- Transforms to Rank II by reaching a 60% link with Pikachu or Raichu while Kanbei is in the same kingdom.
- "Yeah, I wanna sleep too..."
- With low health or a status ailment:
- "Uh-oh! This isn't looking so hot..."
- "Let's finish this one off."
- "Okay, then! Let's make a move!"
- "Let's do this before I fall asleep."
- "Your luck has just run out."
- "Hey, <Pokémon's name>, I've been thinking. The thing about battles is... They'd be a lot better if you could win them in your sleep, don't you think?"
- "<Pokémon's name>, <move's name>!"
- When ordering to go to battle:
- "Right, then! Let's wrap this up quickly, shall we?"
- To a wild Pokémon location:
- "Off, off, off we go!"
- "Yup! I formed a link! C'mon, <Pokémon's name>—let's go!"
- Upon finding a Perfect Link:
- "Pikachu/Raichu... There's something about you that's a little bit different from other Pokémon I've met. D'ya get me? I feel as though I'd be way more energetic if you were around, Pikachu/Raichu! Probably. Anyway, let's be friends!"
- When Pikachu evolves when Hanbei is at Rank II:
- "Now I sense an even greater power than we had before, Raichu. You feel it too, right? Let's stay friends, Raichu!"
- "Use my <item>!"
- "Fact is, I'm a genius!"
- "Well, everyone knew before we started that I was gonna win, right?"
- "I'm busy too, you know. I don't have time to waste doing this."
- "You know, I find you intriguing. I could learn something from you."
- If defeated by something other than the enemy:
- "Why would that happen...?"
- "Argh! I knew I should have stayed in bed today..."
- "You don't have to look quite so desperate. I'll join you."
- "Huh? What's going on with my <Pokémon's name>?"
- "Hey, I thought so! Yeah, you look pretty good like that!"
- "Why?! Why did this happen? Well guess we've no choice but to get 'em back! C'mon, <Pokémon's name>!"
- When a rare Pokémon appears in a kingdom:
- "This could be a good chance, you know! Well, there's no harm in trying, anyway."
- When the player's army has conquered 10 kingdoms:
- "Wow, <player>'s army's sure got bigger... Big enough to stamp out, I'd say!"
- Before a delegation is chosen:
- "What should I do for you?"
- After a delegation is chosen:
- ""Yup! I can handle that!"
- When a delegation isn't chosen:
- "Phew! Now I can relax for a bit."
- "Okay! Let's get cracking!"
- When successful in mining:
- "Hey, good one!"
- When unsuccessful in mining:
- "Aw, Kanbei... You're always such a downer..."
- "Lord Hideyoshi... Isn't that...?"
- "Eh? Me?"
- "Oh, my lord... Can't you just let me sleep? I really can't be bothered with this, Kanbei. Let's get it over with as soon as possible..."
- "Hehe. Didn't you hear him, Kanbei? I'm the Warlord of this kingdom now. He should be the one who watches his mouth in front of me!"
- "It was nothing. That's just the way I—(cough) (cough cough cough)..."
- "No. It's nothing. Just something in my throat."
- "Don't make that face, Kanbei. You should be happy for me."
- "You're not wrong! And your kids will probably look like that as well, Kanbei!"
- "To be honest, being a Warlord is such a pain. Why don't you do it, Kanbei? In fact, I'm older than you, so it's my decision! From now on, you're the Warlord around here!"
- "Hm? Yeah, of course. It's all yours, Kanbei. So, what are your orders, Lord Kanbei?"
- "Oh! Aiming a little high, aren't we? All right, let's do this!"
- "Three cheers for Lord Kanbei! You did it, my lord. Looks like we work well together, eh? Two geniuses are pretty tough to stop."
- "Hey, now... I don't want to talk about that. I just wanted to see what you were really capable of, Lord Kanbei! I wanted to see you...smile!"
- "What? Come on, man! There are times when it's all right to smile, you know! Times like this!"
- "You're just way too uptight, Lord Kanbei! But I guess you're not going to change. Okay, what's our next mission...?"
A genius with truly astonishing brainpower and a confidence that doesn't quite fit his appearance, his dream is to spend every day sleeping.
Hanbei is based on the real-life Takenaka Shigeharu of Japanese history, who was also known by the name "Hanbei" (半兵衛). He was an expert tactician who successfully executed an uprising against the Saitō clan. Toyotomi Hideyoshi was so impressed by Shigeharu's strategy, he invited him to join his army as a strategist.
- Hanbei has the lowest Power of any Warlord. This is likely a reference to his historical counterpart having tuberculosis, an illness that killed him midway through his life. He is also alluded to be sick during the end of his story, The Reluctant Genius.