Check the Bulbagarden home page for up-to-date Pokémon news and discuss it on the forums or in the Bulbagarden Discord server.
The Walt Disney Company
|The Walt Disney Company|
The Walt Disney Company logo
|Founded||October 16, 1923|
|Headquarters||Team Disney Building, Walt Disney Studios, Burbank, California|
|Industry||Film, television, theme parks|
The Walt Disney Company (commonly known as Disney) is an American mass media and entertainment company. Headquartered in Burbank, California, the company was founded on October 16, 1923 by brothers Walt and Roy O. Disney. The company began by creating short animated films, but has since diversified into feature length animated and live-action movies, television production, theme parks operation and other business areas. For its financial year ending September 28, 2019, The Walt Disney Company had total revenues of $69,570 million.
- Main article: Miramax
Miramax, LLC (also known as Miramax Films) is an American producer and distributer of movies and television, that from June 30, 1993 to December 3, 2010 was a wholly owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company. During this time, Miramax acquired the rights to distribute Celebi: The Voice of the Forest, Pokémon Heroes: Latios & Latias, Jirachi: Wish Maker, and Destiny Deoxys in the United States.
Disney Branded Television
Disney Branded Television (in the United States, a unit of Walt Disney Television, internationally, a unit of Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution) operates the Disney Channel and its offshoots, including Disney XD and formally Toon Disney. Toon Disney began broadcasting in the United States on April 18, 1998 and during its lifetime it aired the four Pokémon movies that Miramax had acquired the rights to. Disney XD replaced Toon Disney in the United States on February 13, 2009 and replaced Jetix branded channels in other countries beginning in April 2009.
Disney XD began airing new episodes of the Pokémon anime in the United States on December 5, 2016, after taking over the rights from Cartoon Network. All of the episodes in circulation at the time would be available on the Watch Disney XD app, succeeded by DisneyNOW in September 2017. Disney XD premiered all three seasons of Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon, completing on March 7, 2020. On April 23, 2020, it was announced that the next season of the anime would be airing exclusively on Netflix, ending its run on Disney XD, though repeats of Ultra Legends continued to air until mid-January 2021.
In the United Kingdom and Ireland, Jetix began airing the anime from Pokémon DP: Battle Dimension and continued to do so when it rebranded as Disney XD. The show moved to rival channel Pop Max on January 1, 2018.
Disney XD channels in the following countries have also aired the Pokémon anime: Japan (Diamond and Pearl only), Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Poland, Greece, Italy, France, Germany and the Netherlands. In India, the anime is broadcast on Marvel HQ (a rebrand of Disney XD) and Disney International HD, and in Turkey it aired on the Disney Channel.
- Main article: Hulu
Hulu is an American subscription video on demand service, majority owned and operated by The Walt Disney Company. It has included parts of the Pokémon anime and a number of Pokémon movies in its catalog.
The Walt Disney Company
Walt Disney Television
- ↑ Disney History - D23 (retrieved April 28, 2020)
- ↑ The Walt Disney Company Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year Earnings For Fiscal 2019 - The Walt Disney Company (retrieved April 28, 2020) (PDF)
- ↑ Disney completes $663M sale of Miramax - Yahoo! Finance (archived from the original June 29, 2011; retrieved April 28, 2020)
- ↑ Toon Disney Launch - Animation World Magazine (retrieved April 28, 2020)
- ↑ Disney XD Unwraps On Friday The 13th - Multichannel News (archived from the original June 16, 2011; retrieved April 28, 2020)
- ↑ French Jetix becomes Disney XD - Broadband TV News (retrieved April 28, 2020)
- ↑ The Pokémon Company International and Netflix Team Up for U.S. Premiere of “Pokémon Journeys: The Series” - The Pokémon Company International (retrieved April 28, 2020)
- ↑ Disney to take full control over Hulu, Comcast has option to sell its stake in 5 years - CNBC (retrieved May 8, 2020)
|This article is part of Project Mass Media, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on official Pokémon publishing, broadcasting, communications, and other media.|