From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
This article is missing information on this character's English voice actor.
You can help by adding this information.
|| This article does not yet meet the quality standards of Bulbapedia. Please feel free to edit this article to make it conform to Bulbapedia norms and conventions.
| Umbreon and Espeon|
Blacky and Eifie
Umbreon and Espeon in the game's animated trailer
|| Male (Umbreon)|
| Voice actor
|| Kosuke Toriumi
|| Ai Nonaka
Umbreon and Espeon are partners in mystery dungeon research.
They study the mysteries of the universe, and their research focuses on the mysteries of the Great Glacier. Their knowledge about how mystery dungeons work have led them to develop a method to open Magnagates, which allow the player and Co. to reach mysterious areas unreachable by all other means while only having to traverse one mystery dungeon.
Umbreon is the first of the duo to appear, seen as a mysterious figure running through a forest northward into Post Town during the night, where he collapses from exhaustion. In the morning, Swanna takes him into the inn to rest up. The Pokémon in Post Town arrive and begin trying to pry answers out of Umbreon as to what he was up to, but Umbreon is in no condition to provide answers. When Virizion arrives, she reveals Umbreon is a dungeon researcher she met previously, along with his partner Espeon, at the northern coast where she saw the Great Glacier. The Partner Pokémon then wonders where Espeon is, but doesn't get an answer due to Umbreon being too weak.
The next day, Umbreon tries to leave Post Town, but stumbles when attempting to walk, not yet recovered. When Virizion asks why he is rushing to leave the town, he reveals he was attacked by a group of Pokémon and lost contact with Espeon. He explains they were attacked because they had just finished a set of Entercards, which have the power to manipulate the mysteriousity of dungeons. Umbreon decides that the best way to show everyone what the cards do is to demonstrate, going outside to show them. During the demonstration he reveals a Magnagate, a portal to a dungeon. He notes it is unfinished because the two other Entercards that are required are with Espeon. The Player's team then decide to go and rescue Espeon from the hostile Pokémon and head towards the Crags of Lament.
Meanwhile, Espeon is shown stopping for a brief moment in her getaway from two Pokémon who tease her before she continues fleeing. Eventually, when the player reaches the end of the dungeon, Espeon gets surrounded by the bad Pokémon, who are revealed to be Purugly and Toxicroak. The duo corners Espeon and take her bag. They find it empty and demand Espeon to tell them where she put the Entercards, but are interrupted by the Player's arrival and subsequent battle. When defeated, Purugly and Toxicroak quickly scram, and the player approaches Espeon. She walks slowly to the team with minor injuries and thanks the player, returning with them to Post Town.
Upon arrival to Post Town, Umbreon and Espeon are reunited and thank everyone for their support. When the two wonder why Purugly and Toxicroak would take the Entercards, they mention the thieves might go to the Great Glacier, surprising everyone in town. Umbreon and Espeon then realize they hadn't explained their jobs yet. They tell the town that they spent most of their efforts studying the Great Glacier, because of the Great Crystal that was rumored to be there. They plan to use the Entercards to create a dungeon leading beyond the crevasses. Umbreon states it might be too late because he thinks that Purugly and Toxicroak stole Espeon's Entercards. However, Espeon scolds him for jumping to conclusions and reveals that they are indeed still in safe keeping, though she expresses regret for doing what she did to save them.
Umbreon and Espeon with an injured Keldeo
in Glacier Palace - Eastern Spire
Shortly after, a Swadloon goes to Espeon and hands her Entercards she gave to him for safe keeping. Espeon is glad Swadloon is safe, but breaks down crying. Leavanny, Swadloon's mother, questions why her son would be in danger after hearing Espeon. Espeon reveals she was headed for Post Town, but due to Purugly and Toxicroak always being one step ahead of her, she buried her items in Inflora Forest. Later on, Swadloon discovered the Entercards, causing Espeon to panic. Espeon decided to give him a red stone she buried with her Entercards if Swadloon kept an eye on the cards until she went to pick them up. Swadloon kept his promise and Espeon left after hearing a rustle, suspecting it to be her pursuers. Shortly after, Espeon realized that this also endangered Swadloon and headed back to Inflora Forest to correct her mistake. However, by the time she returned, Swadloon had already left.
Leavanny and Swadloon try to stop Espeon from crying because she had no choice but to leave the Entercards with Swadloon. Leavanny tells Espeon that she is proud of both her and Swadloon for keeping their word. Espeon remains crying while Umbreon is relieved the Entercards are safe. He decides it is best for both of them to remain in Post Town since they are likely to be targeted again, and they still need to recover from their injures. Swanna lets them stay in the inn as long as they pay their bills.
The next day, Umbreon and Espeon meet up with Virizion on top of a hill. The Player's team finds them, and Umbreon and Espeon tell them they feel a lot better thanks to everyone helping out, but can't afford to waste any time as their research is nearly finished. The Partner Pokémon asks if they can help out with their research. Umbreon and Espeon are glad they want to help, but tell the Player and Partner they decided to join the Player's team to repay the Player for their help, and use their strength to achieve their dream. They also feel that since the Great Glacier is an unexplored dungeon, they might not be able to return without them. The Player lets them join the team, but Umbreon and Espeon say they can't tackle requests right away because they are busy finishing their research. The Player's partner has no complaints, and everyone then continues with their day.
- "B-but...if I don't make it in time...
- "Virizion... Seems like I owe you for clearing up the misunderstanding about me... I’ve gotta thank you for that. And while I’d love to stay and chat... I’ve got a prior appointment..."
- "... ... ... ...That’s true enough. Fine... Let me start from the beginning."
- "That’s right... They attacked Espeon and me out of the blue... We both ran off in different directions. I was lucky enough to end up here, but... Espeon... She’s probably still on the run from those monsters... I’ve gotta go... I have to find her!"
- "My guess is... ...they were probably after these."
- "Is this your first time seeing them? They’re called Entercards. See, everyone know that the land around here has unusually high mysteriosity... But even the mysterious power in these kinds of areas does obey some rules. It follows certain paths. What we call ley lines. The flow of these ley lines affects and determines the mysteriosity in an area. Once we realized that, dungeon researchers like Espeon and I began to wonder... What if we could use the power of those ley lines for ourselves? That’s where the Entercards come in. As for what the Entercards actually do... Well--"
- "Hey! Why're you all asleep?!"
- "Sorry... I guess my explanation was a little on the technical side... Seeing it for yourself is probably the easiest way to understand it. Let’s go outside."
- "Yeah... Sorry about this."
- When showing everyone what the Entercards do:
- "All right. This oughta do it. Everybody? If you could step back a bit... Here we go..."
- "It’s a Magnagate. It’s an entrance...to a dungeon."
- "Yeah. Though this one isn’t complete. We start by crafting Entercards for the ley lines we want to read... Then, using different combinations of those cards and varying their placement... We can change the flow of the ley lines and force them into new patterns, you see. Then, boom, you’ve got the entrance to a dungeon. The entrance to the dungeon that you see before you now... It’s a particularly special one. Chances are, no one else in the world has ever used it. It’s a path that Espeon and I finally found after compiling all our years of research. We’re using the power of the sun and the moon to manipulate some serious ley lines. But...these two cards here aren’t big enough to summon up a real Magnagate. I’d need the other two cards if I wanted to summon a usable Magnagate."
- "Yeah. My Entercards and Espeon’s... By combining both sets... It seemed like we were finally going to be able to complete our research. But we were attacked right after we finished making these cards. That’s why I’ve got to assume that the enemy’s after our Entercards."
- "What? Y-you mean..."
- "Th-there aren’t even words... I promise I’ll pay you back for this somehow. I think Espeon ran off in the direction of the Crags of Lament. I know I saw some of our pursuers heading that way. I’m sorry, but I’m counting on you for this one. You’ve gotta save Espeon from them!"
- Whilst being chased in Crags of Lament:
- "Hah...hah... Hah...hah... Hah...hah... Hah...hah..."
- "Wh-where-- Where are you?!"
- "Um... I’m the one running from you here. Why would I come after you? I’m trying to get away! And you’ll never catch me! Not fools like you! Besides, I know what you’re after! And I will never hand them over to you!"
- "Hah...hah... Hah...hah... Hah...hah... Hah...hah..."
- "... ... ..."
- After the player defeats Purugly and Toxicroak:
- "I see... Umbreon, he... Thank you...for saving me. I’ve probably seen better days... but I’ll be fine. No... I AM fine. Pokémon like that can't get the better of me!"
- "More importantly, though... I must hurry to Post Town... There’s something I have to be sure of..."
The duo will start the adventure with the following moveset:
For more information on this Pokémon's species, see Umbreon and Espeon.