Check the Bulbagarden home page for up-to-date Pokémon news and discuss it on the forums or in the Bulbagarden Discord server.
The Old Amber (Japanese: ひみつのコハク Secret Amber) is a Fossil introduced in Generation I that can be regenerated into Aerodactyl.
The Old Amber is different from the other Fossils, being a type of fossilized substance rather than a Fossil named by its appearance; however, the Aerodactyl skeleton in Pewter City Museum implies that it does have its own fossilized remains.
In the core series games
If brought to the one of the following locations, Old Amber can be regenerated into an Aerodactyl.
Generation I and III
In the Generation I and III games, Old Amber is a Key Item.
In Pokémon Emerald, the Old Amber (as well as the Dome Fossil and Helix Fossil) is found in the game data, but it is not legitimately obtainable and has no effect. The player is unable to regenerate this fossil in the Devon Corporation.
Generation IV onward
From Generation IV onward, Old Amber is no longer a Key Item, and is a normal item. Therefore, multiples of them can be obtained, they can be held, and sent to other players via trading.
|Underground sprites from
Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum
Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee!
|Grand Underground sprites from|
Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl
In the anime
In Putting the Air Back in Aerodactyl!, Gary revived an Old Amber into an Aerodactyl.
In Restore and Renew!, Goh found an Old Amber at a digging site at the Pewter Museum of Science and had it revived into an Aerodactyl, which he then caught.
In the manga
How I Became a Pokémon Card
The Old Amber appeared in Fossil + Pokémon = Aerodactyl!?, where it was eventually revived into an Aerodactyl in a laboratory.
In Make Way for Magmar!, Red received an Old Amber from Giovanni in Pewter City. Later, in Holy Moltres, while following Blaine's instructions, he revived the Old Amber into an Aerodactyl at the Pokémon Lab on Cinnabar Island, making him one of his main team members.
In the TCG
Old Amber was introduced into the TCG in Majestic Dawn. In its abscence, Aerodactyl must be evolved from either Mysterious Fossil or Unidentified Fossil.
Cards listed with a blue background are only legal to use in the current Expanded format.
Cards listed with a silver background are legal to use in both the current Standard and Expanded formats.
|Old Amber||T||Majestic Dawn||84/100||Dawn Dash|
|Arceus||89/99||Advent of Arceus||083/090|
|Old Amber Aerodactyl||I||Dark Explorers||97/108||Dark Rush||066/069|
|Fates Collide||106/124||Awakening Psychic King||071/078|
- Amber is fossilized tree resin commonly found with insects trapped inside of it. The Old Amber is based on the theory of extracting DNA from the blood still preserved inside the insect to bring back past lifeforms. In real life, however, amber cannot preserve DNA.
- The Old Amber is the only Pokémon Fossil that does not have an alternative choice to form a pair.
- The Old Amber is also the only Pokémon Fossil that has appeared in Pokémon Adventures.
- The mosquito seen in the Generation I artwork is a case of a real life animal in the Pokémon world.
- While the Old Amber is the only Fossil absent from Pokémon Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun, and Ultra Moon, Aerodactyl can still be obtained when received as a gift at Seafolk Village.
In other languages
|This item article is part of Project ItemDex, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on all items.|