List of unobtainable Shiny Pokémon
In all generations since Shiny Pokémon debuted, there are a few species that cannot be legitimately obtained Shiny. This can happen if the Pokémon cannot be Shiny in the wild or as an in-game gift (or cannot be obtained this way at all) and has never been distributed as Shiny. However, with the exception of Pikachu in a cap, and Partner Pikachu and Eevee, all of these Pokémon have Shiny variants in their respective games' code.
Shiny Pokémon denoted with a ✘ could not be obtained by any means, either in a specific version, denoted by abbreviations for said game(s), or the generation as a whole.
- Partner Cap Pikachu is available in its Shiny form due to a programming error. If transferred from Generation VII to Pokémon HOME or Generation VIII, it still lacks a Shiny model.
- Shiny Mew can be obtained legitimately as part of the Gotta catch 'em all! Station, the Japanese version of Pokémon Emerald via the Old Sea Map event item, or via Pokémon GO's Mew Masterwork Research quest. However, it cannot be obtained legitimately in Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee!, nor transferred via GO Park or HOME.
- Due to the way IVs determine both Unown's letter and Shininess in Generation II, all forms except the letters I and V cannot be Shiny.
- Shiny Celebi can be obtained legitimately in the original Japanese version of Pokémon Crystal, through Generation II event distributions, and via ingame encounter in the Virtual Console releases of Pokémon Crystal. Notably, Virtual Console Pokemon can only be moved forward into Gen 7 or above (via Pokémon Bank), while those in physical cartridge versions of the game cannot move forward to Gen 3 or above.
- Due to a set of bugs, Shiny Jirachi can be obtained legitimately in both Pokémon Channel and the North American version of the Pokémon Colosseum Bonus Disc, however they were largely blocked from online play until after the 2014 Tanabata Shiny Jirachi event was released in Generation VI.
- Shiny Deoxys can be obtained legitimately in both Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen and Pokémon Emerald via the Aurora Ticket event item, excluding the Japanese version of Emerald.
- While the Ranger Manaphy Egg cannot hatch as shiny for the savefile that receives it, it can be shiny if traded and hatched by another player with a different Trainer ID and Secret ID from the original recipient. Shiny Manaphy can only be obtained this way in Generation IV.
- Requires the Member Card event item.
- Requires the Oak's Letter event item.
- The Pokémon HOME Melmetal, (gifted to the player the first time they transfer a Pokémon via GO Transporter), cannot be shiny. Shiny Melmetal (obtained by evolving Shiny Meltan from the Mystery Box in Pokemon GO), if transferred to Sword or Shield, cannot be given Max Soup to gain the Gigantamax Factor.
- Due to an oversight, from June 17th 2022 to approximately 2:00-11:00 UTC on the 18th, the uncatchable Gigantamax Urshifu that appeared during a Max Raid event could appear as Shiny.