Goldenrod Department Store

From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Jump to navigationJump to search
Goldenrod Department Store コガネひゃっかてん
Kogane Department Store
"Full Selection of Pokémon Goods!"
Goldenrod Department Store HGSS.png
Map description: {{{mapdesc}}}
Location: Goldenrod City
Region: Johto
Generations: II, IV
Johto Goldenrod City Map.png
Location of Goldenrod Department Store in Johto.
Pokémon world locations
Goldenrod Department Store in Generation II

The Goldenrod Department Store (Japanese: コガネひゃっかてん Kogane Department Store) is the largest store in Johto. It is located in south central Goldenrod City, just north-east of the southern entrance to the city, and contains many items not found in a traditional Poké Mart. It is the Johto region's direct equivalent of Kanto's Celadon Department Store.


1F Service Counter

Here, a receptionist welcomes customers. This is also where the postman delivers items.

2F Trainer's Market

This floor's slogan is "Your Travel Companion." It sells basic equipment and items Pokémon Trainers might need in their journeys.

Upper cashier (Generation II)
Lower cashier (Generation II)

Upper cashier (Generation IV)
Lower cashier (Generation IV)

3F Battle Collection

"For Victory Seekers" is the slogan of this floor. It sells temporary stat-enhancing items.

Generation II
Generation IV

4F Medicine Box

A pharmacy selling permanent stat-enhancing items is located on this floor. Its slogan is "Let us pump up your Pokémon!".

Generation II
Generation IV

5F TM Corner

This floor is devoted to the sale of Technical Machines. The poster on the wall declares "Customize Your Pokémon!" Talking to the little girl on this floor unlocks the Mystery Gift option. There is also a man who wants to trade a Drowzee (Abra in Crystal) for a Machop.

On Sundays, a woman will appear who will give the player TM27 (Return) if the lead Pokémon in the player's party has high friendship or TM21 (Frustration) if it has low friendship. While in the Generation II games she will only give one TM a week, in HeartGold and SoulSilver, once she has given the player one of the TMs, she will not give either again any time afterwards. If the Pokémon's friendship is neutral, she will not give the player any TM, but they may still show her a different Pokémon to get one.

Generation II
Generation IV

6F Rooftop Atrium

A picnic table and some vending machines are located on this floor. A sign implores customers to "Take a Break from Shopping". In Gold and Silver as well as in HeartGold and SoulSilver, this is the uppermost floor, but in Pokémon Crystal, there is an additional flight of stairs leading up to a higher floor. This floor is called the Rooftop Square in Gold and Silver, while in Crystal it is called Tranquil Square.

Generations II & IV

In addition to the vending machines, in Generation IV there is a raffle that can be entered for $300 where the player may win a Berry (~55% chance), a type of Poké Ball (~35% chance), or a TM (~10% chance). The first and second prizes change depending on the day of the week. The player may play the raffle as many times as they wish.

Lottery prizes by day:

Day First prize Second prize
Monday TM65 (Shadow Claw) Nest Ball
Tuesday TM91 (Flash Cannon) Repeat Ball
Wednesday TM57 (Charge Beam) Net Ball
Thursday TM60 (Drain Punch) Quick Ball
Friday TM42 (Facade) Dusk Ball
Saturday TM62 (Silver Wind) Timer Ball
Sunday TM02 (Dragon Claw) Luxury Ball
Third prize (random)
Cheri Berry
Chesto Berry
Pecha Berry
Rawst Berry
Aspear Berry
Oran Berry
Persim Berry

Rooftop Lookout

A floor exclusive to Pokémon Crystal, the rooftop cannot be accessed by the elevator; instead the player must travel up the final flight of stairs. Some binoculars let spectators see things far away. Some people go up to the rooftop to take a break from shopping. There are also some vending machines for Pokémon dolls, but the player cannot buy anything from them as they are "almost empty".

There will occasionally be a Rooftop Sale, allowing the player to buy several items. When the Rooftop Sale occurs, Camper Todd will call the player on the Pokégear to tell them about it. The items available will change after the player has entered the Hall of Fame.

Before Hall of Fame
After Hall of Fame


The basement is only accessible from the Department Store via the elevator.

A team of workers and a Machoke are moving boxes around. The player gets told off by the worker for going down and distracting them. This is one of the endpoints of the Goldenrod Tunnel. Every time the player enters the area, the boxes will be moved in various places, allowing access to items that are on the ground in blocked rooms.

In HeartGold and SoulSilver, talking to the workers will cause each Machoke to move a box, allowing access to each blocked room and the items inside them, with no need to leave and reenter the area.


Item Location Games
Ultra Ball Ultra Ball Basement; eastern side  G  S  C  HG  SS 
Ether Ether Basement; southern side  G  S  C  HG  SS 
Burn Heal Burn Heal Basement; northern side  G  S  C  HG  SS 
Amulet Coin III Amulet Coin Basement; accessible via the Goldenrod Tunnel Warehouse  G  S  C  HG  SS 
Antidote Antidote Basement; small box, south of the elevator (hidden)  HG  SS 
Super Potion Super Potion Basement; large brown box on the right, southwest of the elevator (hidden)  HG  SS 
Paralyze Heal Parlyz Heal Basement; westernmost large brown box (hidden)  HG  SS 
TM Normal TM27 (Return) 5F; from a woman behind the counter if the player's lead Pokémon has high enough friendshipSu  G  S  C  HG  SS 
TM Normal TM21 (Frustration) 5F; from a woman behind the counter if the player's lead Pokémon has low enough friendshipSu  G  S  C  HG  SS 
None Gold Berry 5F; held by Muscle, a Machop the player receives in a trade  G  S  C 
Macho Brace Macho Brace 5F; held by Muscle, a Machop the player receives in a trade  HG  SS 


Generation II

Pokémon Games Location Levels Rate
Special Pokémon
Machop Machop
Drowzee Trade
The same as the traded Pokémon One
Machop Machop
Abra Trade
The same as the traded Pokémon One
A colored background means that the Pokémon can be found in this location in the specified game. A white background with a colored letter means that the Pokémon cannot be found here.

Generation IV

Pokémon Games Location Levels Rate
Special Pokémon
Machop Machop
Drowzee Trade
The same as the traded Pokémon One
A colored background means that the Pokémon can be found in this location in the specified game. A white background with a colored letter means that the Pokémon cannot be found here.



Version First visit Second visit Third visit
Gold Goldenrod Department Store Basement GSC first.png Goldenrod Department Store Basement GSC second.png Goldenrod Department Store Basement GSC third.png
HeartGold Goldenrod Department Store Basement HGSS.png


Version 1F 2F 3F 4F 5F 6F Rooftop
Gold Celadon Department Store 1F GSC.png Celadon Department Store 2F GSC.png Celadon Department Store 3F GSC.png Celadon Department Store 4F GSC.png Goldenrod Department Store 5F GS.png Celadon Department Store 5F GSC.png
Crystal Goldenrod Department Store 1F C.png Goldenrod Department Store 2F C.png Goldenrod Department Store 3F C.png Goldenrod Department Store 4F C.png Goldenrod Department Store 5F C.png Goldenrod Department Store 6F C.png
Goldenrod Department Store Rooftop C.png
HeartGold Goldenrod Department Store 1F HGSS.png Goldenrod Department Store 2F HGSS.png Goldenrod Department Store 3F HGSS.png Goldenrod Department Store 4F HGSS.png Goldenrod Department Store 5F HGSS.png Goldenrod Department Store 6F HGSS.png

In the anime

Goldenrod Galleria in the anime

The Goldenrod Galleria, the anime equivalent of the Goldenrod Department Store, appeared in A Goldenrod Opportunity, where Ash and his friends decided to visit it and were eventually led there by Whitney, leading to Misty and her doing some shopping. Meanwhile, Team Rocket ate some free samples to satisfy their hunger, but ended up eating non-free food as well. They were forced to work to pay for the food they had eaten, but they ended up running away when they spotted Whitney's Clefairy and decided to steal it.

Zephyr Badge.png Hive Badge.png Plain Badge.png Fog Badge.png Storm Badge.png Mineral Badge.png Glacier Badge.png Rising Badge.png
New Bark TownCherrygrove CityViolet CityAzalea TownGoldenrod CityEcruteak City
Olivine CityCianwood CityMahogany TownBlackthorn CitySafari Zone GateFrontier Access
Dark CaveSprout TowerRuins of AlphUnion CaveSlowpoke WellIlex ForestRadio TowerGlobal Terminal
Goldenrod TunnelNational ParkPokéathlon DomeBell TowerBellchime TrailBurned TowerMoomoo FarmOlivine Lighthouse
Battle Tower (CrystalHGSS)/FrontierCliff Edge GateCliff CaveEmbedded TowerSafari ZoneWhirl Islands
Mt. MortarLake of RageTeam Rocket HQIce PathDragon's DenS.S. AquaMt. Silver (Cave)
Access to
Sinjoh RuinsKanto

Project Locations logo.png This article is part of Project Locations, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on every location in the Pokémon world.