From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| Till We Compete Again!
The Endless Zero! Until the Day We Meet Again!!
|| October 27, 2016
| United States
|| January 8, 2017*|
January 21, 2017*
|| Team Kato
|| 冨岡淳広 Atsuhiro Tomioka
|| 矢嶋哲生 Tetsuo Yajima
| Assistant director
|| 矢嶋哲生 Tetsuo Yajima
| Animation directors
|| 大橋藍人 Aito Ōhashi
| 小山知洋 Tomohiro Koyama
| 広岡トシヒト Toshihito Hirooka
| No additional credits are available at this time.
Till We Compete Again! (Japanese: 終わりなきゼロ！また逢う日まで！！ The Endless Zero! Until the Day We Meet Again!!) is the 140th and final episode of the XY series, and the 939th episode of the Pokémon anime. It first aired in Japan on October 27, 2016, in Canada on January 14, 2017, and in the United States on January 21, 2017.
At the Lumiose airport, Ash is heading home to Kanto, Serena is catching a flight to Hoenn, and Clemont and Bonnie have come to see them off. Dedenne doesn’t seem to understand what’s happening, and when Bonnie explains that it’s time to say goodbye to their friends, Dedenne throws a tantrum and runs off to hide!
Bonnie soon coaxes it back with a moving speech about pursuing their dreams together, and then it’s time for Serena’s flight and an emotional farewell to Ash. Clemont has the perfect idea for passing the time until Ash has to leave—a battle between Pikachu and Bunnelby, just like on the day they met!
The episode begins with Ash making a phone call to Professor Oak and his mother, although he first has to deal with Pikachu saying his hellos a little too close. Delia thanks Serena, Clemont, and Bonnie for accompanying Ash on his Kalos journey, and they assure her the pleasure was theirs as they've learned a lot from traveling with him and had a lot of fun too. Ash tells his mom that he has a lot of stories to tell and will be starting the trip back to Kanto that afternoon, and Professor Oak assures him they'll be waiting. Delia wishes her son a safe journey, and extends an open invitation to Serena, Clemont, and Bonnie to visit anytime. The call ends, and Ash tells Pikachu that it's time to start getting ready, making Bonnie start to realize their journey is indeed about to come to an end.
Later, the gang tuck into lunch; however, Serena notices that Bonnie has barely eaten anything. Bonnie shrugs it off by claiming to have eaten too many sweets earlier, and as Clemont begins to remind her about not eating just before meals, the doorbell rings. The gang find that Professor Sycamore, Alain, Mairin, and Chespie have arrived, with Sycamore telling them that he just called to say a final goodbye before Ash and Serena leave.
Jessie, James, and Meowth make a report to Giovanni detailing how they single-handedly brought down Team Flare and destroyed the Giant Rock, thanks to doctored footage, while claiming that their goal was their entire reason for coming to Kalos in the first place. Giovanni tells them that it's obvious they did play a role in stopping Team Flare and congratulates them on a job well done before ordering them to report back to the Team Rocket HQ. The three then celebrate with their Pokémon that the altered footage worked and that Giovanni is pleased with them, before rushing off to catch the first plane back to Kanto.
Ash is surprised to have been told that Alain and Mairin are leaving on a new journey to Frost Cavern as part of Professor Sycamore's research. Sycamore explains the discovery that the Anistar Sundial is now emitting energy whenever sunlight shines on it that can be used to pin down the location of Mega Stones, meaning that there should be a Mega Stone somewhere in Frost Cavern. Mairin explains that many other locations have been identified too, all of which will be checked out as part of her and Alain's investigation. Ash then notices that Alain is no longer wearing his Mega Ring, and Alain explains that because he had received it from Lysandre, he gave it to the authorities to use as evidence, knowing full well that he would no longer be able to Mega Evolve his Charizard. Alain tells Ash that he has decided to follow his example and start from scratch with the intention of finding the Mega Stone on his own, and hopes that one day when they're both strong enough again they will battle once more. Ash promises him that they will, and the two friends bid each other a final goodbye. Chespie says farewell to Clemont's Chespin, who begins to cry. Mairin thanks Serena for her help in rescuing Chespie from Lysandre Labs, but Serena shrugs off the thanks by saying that Mairin played as much of a role as she did. Sycamore tells the gang before he leaves that he looks forward to reuniting with them all one day, and the gang bid him, Alain, Mairin, and Chespie goodbye. Ash then realizes it's time for them to prepare to leave too, causing Bonnie to become sad again.
At Lumiose Airport, the gang discover that Serena's flight to Hoenn will be leaving before Ash's flight and decide to take the chance to let out all their Pokémon to say farewell, warning them that they may not see each other again for quite a long time. There are many fond farewells among the Pokémon, with much sadness and tears. Braixen walks up to Dedenne to say goodbye; however, Dedenne can't bring himself to. Bonnie sadly tells him that they need to say goodbye, but Dedenne begins to get upset and instead escapes from Bonnie's arms and runs through the airport. Giving chase, and using Pikachu's electricity, they track down Dedenne who is hiding behind a video monitor. Everyone asks Dedenne to emerge but he refuses to. Bonnie tells him she understands how he feels because she feels exactly the same; she feels very close to everyone and their Pokémon and her dream is that they could all stay together forever. However, she explains that she understands that Ash and Serena have their own dreams and they need to leave to pursue them, just as she has her own dream of one day becoming a Pokémon Trainer with Dedenne as her partner. She hopes to one day defeat Serena in a Pokémon Showcase and win against Ash in a Pokémon battle and knows that saying goodbye is just another step on that journey, and so that's why they should be happy, too, since it brings them all closer to their dreams. Dedenne is still upset, but emerges and jumps into Bonnie's arms. Ash asks Dedenne to help Bonnie achieve her dream and looks forward to facing Bonnie in a battle someday, although he doesn't intend to lose. Serena concurs, promising to face and try and win against Bonnie in a Showcase. Clemont also looks forward to when he can face her in a Gym battle. This helps both Dedenne and Bonnie to cheer up, knowing they still have a lot to look forward to.
Soon it is time for Serena to leave. She thanks Ash, Clemont, and Bonnie for all of their help throughout her first journey. Clemont asks her to call them occasionally, while Bonnie tells her she'll come and find her once she's started her journey. Serena then tells Ash she's glad she sought him out when she began her journey and that he is her ultimate goal. Ash is briefly taken aback. She vows to seek him out again someday as a more mature woman, and Ash voices his approval. As Serena is carried down the escalator, she quickly turns around again, asking for one last thing from Ash. She runs back up the escalator and is seen leaning in towards Ash, but her farewell is not shown directly. As the escalator pulls her back downwards again, Clemont, Bonnie, and Pikachu are stunned and blushing. Ash's face remains blank for a while, while Serena is also blushing as she moves away. Serena thanks them, and they all recover to bid her an enthusiastic farewell.
Outside the airport, Ash, Clemont, and Bonnie watch as Serena's plane leaves. Clemont hopes Serena will be okay, and Ash assures him that she'll be fine and will become stronger in Hoenn. Clemont also promises to become stronger and invent devices that will help people and Pokémon. The three have some more time before Ash's plane leaves, so Clemont has a request for Ash before he leaves; he wishes to end their adventure in Kalos as it began: with a battle. Ash happily agrees, and sends Pikachu up against Bunnelby as Bonnie watches. The two Trainers, as would be expected, battle to their hardest.
As the sun sets in Kalos, Clemont and Bonnie watch as Ash's plane flies away. On a bright sunny day in Hoenn, Serena arrives, ready to begin a new adventure as she recalls her previous adventures: choosing Fennekin as her starter Pokémon, meeting Pancham and Eevee, finding her calling as a Pokémon Performer, and getting a chance to strive for the title of Kalos Queen. At the Prism Tower, Clemont works on an invention (assisted by Clembot) as he remembers meeting Ash, getting to invent various devices, reuniting with Luxio, eventually facing Ash in a Gym Battle and having to sacrifice his first Clembot to help defeat Team Flare. Bonnie recalls all the Pokémon she got to meet throughout the journey and formed special relationships with: Flabébé, Lapras, Tyrunt, and Squishy. At his lab, Professor Sycamore helps a Youngster choose his first Pokémon before taking a call from Alain and Mairin. In Frost Cavern, Alain, Mairin, Charizard, and Chespie take in the wonderful sights as Alain looks forward to his fresh start. At the ruins of the Lysandre Labs, Sawyer is living his dream as he assists Steven with his investigation of the site. In a forest, Shauna, Tierno, and Trevor enjoy meeting the various Pokémon that live there. At the wetlands, Goodra continues its role as caregiver as it breaks up a squabble between a Lotad and a Wooper. Nearby, Greninja destroys another vine made of negative energy while being watched over by Squishy and Z2, continuing its role as protector of Kalos.
On his plane, Ash looks out at the passing seascape as he recalls his adventures in Kalos: arriving in the region with Alexa, making new friends and meeting new Pokémon, defeating Gym Leaders, finding new rivals, going on new adventures, meeting with Team Rocket various times, deepening his relationship with Froakie and eventually unlocking the power of the Bond Phenomenon, making it to the finals of the Lumiose Conference against Alain, and destroying the Giant Rock and taking down Team Flare with the help of the Gym Leaders of Kalos, Diantha, Steven, Malva, and Zygarde. He then recalls his final goodbye with Greninja, before leaving him so he could meet his own destiny.
It is the middle of the night when Ash arrives at the outskirts of Pallet Town, and the young Trainer spends a few seconds regarding his hometown before continuing. Arriving home, he sees the lights are still on and knows his mom is waiting. Taking a moment to reflect that they have another wonderful adventure behind them, Ash and Pikachu enter the house ready for the day when they'll go on their next Pokémon journey.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
Who's That Pokémon?: Pikachu (US and international)
Pokémon Quiz: Pikachu (Japan)
The title card segment focuses on Ash for this episode
- Professor Oak's Pokémon Holo Caster: Mega Evolution
- Unlike the final episodes of the previous four series, the phrase Next Time... A New Beginning! is not used; instead being replaced with And to our own way in golden cursive writing, likely as a reference to the ending of the Pokémon X and Y games.
- The English dub was released on iTunes and Amazon Video on January 8, 2017, thirteen days before the episode aired in the United States. The same occurred for all episodes in Volume 4 of Pokémon the Series: XYZ that aired after an all-day marathon of Teen Titans Go! on November 26, 2016, and before January 11, 2017, when the error was fixed (The Right Hero for the Right Job! through Till We Compete Again!).
- However, the episode was pulled from iTunes and Amazon on January 11, 2017, although those who had already purchased and downloaded the episode could still view it. It was later released again on iTunes and Amazon on January 22, 2017, the day it was supposed to be released.
- Team Rocket does not perform the motto or blast off in this episode.
- An instrumental version of Relic Song is used when Ash, Bonnie, and Clemont separate with Serena in the airport.
- The full version of V (Volt) is used as an insert song at the end of the episode, being played over clips of previous episodes (substituting the usual ending sequence).
- This episode was followed by a preview of the Sun & Moon series.
- The Solrock and Lunatone souvenirs that Team Rocket drops at the airport while returning to the Team Rocket HQ in Kanto are likely a reference to the Sun & Moon series.
- Professor Sycamore narrates the preview for the next episode.
- This is the final main series episode to air on Cartoon Network in the United States.
- Ash's last battle in the Kalos region is against Clemont, which is a callback to the episode Kalos, Where Dreams and Adventures Begin!, in which Ash has his first battle in Kalos against him as well.
- The aerial view of the Hoenn airport Serena arrives at is a direct copy of Kansai International Airport in Osaka, Japan, while the entrance gate she is shown at is almost identical to the Saga Airport in Saga, Japan.
- In the real world, the Saga Airport is located in Kyushu, the basis of the Hoenn region, and the Kansai International Airport is located in the Kansai region of Japan, the basis of the Johto region.
- This finale marks the first time the regional professor has appeared in the last episode of the series in which they were introduced.
- When Ash arrives home, the flowers seen next to his house are baby's-breath. Tetsuo Yajima stated in a tweet that the presence of these flowers was meant to be symbolic to their meaning in the flower language (innocence, pure of heart).
- This is the final episode to have a frame rate of 30 frames per second. Starting in the Sun & Moon series, the episodes return to a frame rate of 24 frames per second, which was used previously in the original series and Advanced Generation series.
- This episode is Delia Ketchum's only appearance in the XY series and first appearance overall since The Dream Continues!, 140 episodes prior.
- This episode has the longest credits sequence of any episode, with the credits being displayed onscreen over a span of two minutes.
- This episode is the last time that Kayzie Rogers voices Wobbuffet. Erica Schroeder takes on the role starting from Loading the Dex!.
- In the Japanese version, Delia apologizes to Serena, Clemont, and Bonnie for any trouble Ash might have been, while in the dub, she simply asks how they are.
- V (Volt) is replaced by an instrumental medley of Pokémon Theme (Version XY) and Be a Hero.
- In the United States Cartoon Network airing, Ash's flashback sequence is shortened by one minute and 20 seconds. Because of this, the credits are played for their normal 30-second duration after the end of the episode, rather than displayed over two minutes of the flashback sequence as in the Japanese version and the iTunes and Amazon version.
In other languages
|| Dokud se znovu neutkáme!
|| Til vi dyster igen!
|| Totdat we het weer tegen elkaar opnemen!
|| Kunnes taas kilpailemme!
| European French
|| Au revoir.... Jusqu'au prochain combat !
|| Was für eine wunderbare Zeit!
|| Alla prossima!
|| Til vi konkurrerer igjen!
|| Do kolejnej rywalizacji!
|| Até nós competirmos de novo!
|| Até ao nosso próximo combate!
|| До новых состязаний!
|| Latin America
|| ¡Hasta competir otra vez!
|| ¡Hasta que volvamos a competir!
|| Tills vi tävlar igen!
|| ศูนย์ที่ไม่มีวันจบสิ้น! จนกว่าจะถึงวันที่ได้พบกันใหม่!!
|| Bir daha maç yapıncaya kadar!