User talk:Daniel Carrero
|Welcome to Bulbapedia, Daniel Carrero!|
By creating your account you are now able to edit pages, join discussions, and expand the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia. Before you jump in, here are some ground rules:
Thank you, and have a good time editing here!
Hey! Next time you edit an article, you can use the preview button at the bottom left of your editing screen. This will allow you to view your edits without actually saving them officially. That way, you don't have to edit an article several times in a row. Just a heads-up. GrammarFreak01 (talk) 22:13, 4 February 2019 (UTC)
- Hi, thanks for reminding me of the preview button. If that helps, I happen to know a bit about how MediaWiki wikis generally work. I've been using the preview button to some extent, though I'll try to remember to use it more often and avoid editing an article several times in a row. I'm still learning about some Bulbapedia-specific things like policies, templates and such. I've been reading the links given above, like the FAQ and other pages. --Daniel Carrero (talk) 22:36, 4 February 2019 (UTC)
Hello. Thank you for your recent contributions to the manga sections. However, as word of advice, when writing summaries about a character's role in the story, you must use past tense instead of present tense. Second, Adventures is a very plot-heavy series unlike the mostly episodic anime. As such, it's preferred that you only reference a character's appearance in a certain chapter if it's actually relevant to the story as a whole. If all they do is appear in a chapter and nothing more, then it's best to just omit it entirely. Ataro (talk) 15:57, 6 February 2019 (UTC)
- Hello. OK, thanks for letting me know about these things. Thanks also for reviewing and editing the two pages I recently created--Green's parents and A.
- About character appearances:
- This makes complete sense to me, I'll remember it: "If all they do is appear in a chapter and nothing more, then it's best to just omit it entirely."
- Correct me if I'm wrong, but I suspect a cameo from an "unexpected" character like Professor Elm, Lanette, Brigette and others in the Epilogue might qualify to be mentioned in the character histories nonetheless.
- This is different from incidental appearances, like some of Green's parents' appearances that you edited out from their article.
- About the past tense:
- I don't mind using past tense, I'm fine with using whatever style rules Bulbapedia prefers. However, I've been a little confused because it seems that (contrary to what you said above) most Pokémon Adventures character histories currently use present tense (Red, Green, Blue, Giovanni, etc.) A few use past tense (Agatha).
- If it were up to me, I would suggest always using the historical present tense. I know this isn't Wikipedia and none of Wikipedia rules apply here, but I'd like to note that Wikipedia has the specific rule of using the historical present tense as said in Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Writing about fiction, basically because that's how we experience the story. It's always the "present" when you read the manga, or watch the anime, or play the game.
- Anyway, that was just a suggestion. Bulbapedia:FAQ and Bulbapedia:Manual of style don't seem to mention the tense anywhere, so I'm curious about whether the website really has formal rules about it or if people have been choosing the tense based on their opinions, which would explain why some pages use the present tense and others use the past tense.
- PS.: Some pages like Yellow currently seem a little messy to me, concerning the tense. That one uses mostly present tense ("She then learns of the legendary evolutionary stones") with some past tense randomly distributed around the page ("she protected the Day-Care Couple from Team Rocket"). --Daniel Carrero (talk) 17:23, 6 February 2019 (UTC)
- Also, please avoid adding chapter subsections for minor characters (such as Grunts) that don't really accomplish much in the story. They're mainly for important characters, as they have larger summaries and the subsection makes it more convenient to read. Ataro (talk) 03:43, 19 April 2019 (UTC)
I forgot to tell you this earlier, but the next time you create an article like you did with Green's parents, I recommend creating a sandbox article first. That way, you can experiment with the content before it's mainspaced. Some articles require permission to create and sandboxes circumvent that a little during the wait times. GrammarFreak01 (talk) 22:18, 6 February 2019 (UTC)
- Alright, thank you for letting me know. --Daniel Carrero (talk) 23:10, 6 February 2019 (UTC)
Creating redirects of Japanese names
Hey! I noticed you created the ミク redirect link. I'm not sure how necessary that was, because I have never seen any other redirect links for characters' Japanese names. Perhaps you need to consult an admin on that. GrammarFreak01 (talk) 04:58, 22 March 2019 (UTC)
- Hello. Actually I've seen quite a few redirects for characters' Japanese names before creating that one, so that appeared to be the normal thing to do.
- I've also found some some Japanese redirects for Pokémon, moves, items, places, TCG cards and so on.
- The full list (katakana version) starts from ア, here it is:
- The full list (hiragana version) starts from あ, here it is:
- --Daniel Carrero (talk) 12:08, 22 March 2019 (UTC)