From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
|| This article contains old or outdated information, or has not been updated in a while. Please check the content of this article and update it as required.
Damage modification in the Mystery Dungeon series is slightly different from than in the main games due to the differences between the two game engines. Here are a list of differences:
Standard attacks are considered to have no type, and will attack Pokémon of all types equally. Against Wonder Guard, standard attacks will only do 1 damage.
Like the main games, special attacks are affected by types, although the multipliers are different.
In Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team and Blue Rescue Team, the type affinities are as follows. Multipliers stack multiplicatively against dual-type Pokémon:
- Super-effective attacks, such as Grass attacks on Water, deal 150% of normal damage.
- Not very effective attacks, such as Fighting on Psychic, deal 90% of normal damage.
- Attacks of little effect, such as Ground attacks on Flying, deal 50% of normal damage.
In Explorers of Time and Explorers of Darkness the multipliers are instead 50%, 70% and 140%, unless either the attacker or the defender has Erratic Player IQ skill, which changes them to 25%, 50% and 170%.
Note that type affinity changes brought forth by moves or abilities do not use the above - Levitate will still render Ground attacks useless, for instance.
Rescue Team and Explorers
There are some differences from how critical works in main series:
- Critical hits do only 50% more damage, unless the Pokémon has Sniper, in which case it will do double damage.
- Male or genderless Pokémon will have the move's base critical hit rate multiplied by 1.5x.
- Scope Lens, Patsy Band, Sharpshooter IQ skill and Super Luck add a flat modifier to the move's critical hit rate (30% in Red/Blue Rescue Team, 15% in Explorers).
- Type Advantage Master will set the critical hit rate to 40%, ignoring all other effects.
- Focus Energy will guarantee critical hits, provided the critical hits are not prevented by exclusive items, Abilities, Critical Dodger IQ skill or Lucky Chant.
|| Chance of critical hit
| Pin Missile, Fury Attack, Fury Swipes, Comet Punch and Rock Blast
| Ice Ball, DoubleSlap, Bullet Seed, Twineedle, Barrage, Arm Thrust, Icicle Spear, ThunderShock, Spike Cannon, Triple Kick and Bone Rush
| Double Kick
| Other moves
| Moves with a high critical-hit ratio*