|Enter Iris and Axew!
Enter Iris and Axew! (Japanese: アイリスとキバゴ！ Iris and Kibago!) is the second episode of Pokémon the Series: Black & White, and the 659th episode of the Pokémon anime. It first aired in Japan, as part of a one-hour special along with BW001, on September 23, 2010, and in the United States on February 12, 2011, once again premiering after In The Shadow of Zekrom!.
After being struck by lightning, Pikachu is having trouble using its Electric-type attacks...but a second strange thunderstorm heals the Pokémon just as quickly! Attributing the ordeal to the Legendary Pokémon Zekrom, Professors Oak and Juniper agree that further research is needed.
Meanwhile, Team Rocket has arrived in the Unova region, and prepares to launch an operation designed to steal both Zekrom and Pikachu! Ash is eager to start his new journey, and armed with a new Pokédex and new Poké Balls, our hero sets out to meet as many Unova Pokémon as he can. While trying to catch a Pidove, Ash runs into a girl named Iris and her Pokémon Axew. It doesn't take long for Team Rocket to launch a plot to steal Pikachu, Pidove, and Axew, too! Of course, Ash springs into action, battling his old enemies Jessie, James and Meowth. He gets some help from an unexpected source: Oshawott, who has been following Ash and Pikachu since they left Professor Juniper's lab. Before long, all the Pokémon are safely returned, while Team Rocket mysteriously vanishes.
The group visits the Pokémon Center, where Nurse Joy restores Pikachu, Axew, and Pidove to perfect health. Iris admits that although Ash acts "like a kid," she is impressed with the way he sprang into action when saving their three Pokémon. And Ash wonders out loud why Oshawott helped them out the way it did...
Soon after arriving in Unova, Pikachu was struck by blue lightning from the Legendary Pokémon Zekrom. Now in Professor Juniper's lab, Pikachu is being treated for an electrical overcharge while Zekrom and its dark clouds have again appeared over Nuvema Town. Professor Oak and Professor Juniper attempt to restore power to the lab's electronics. Ash, in an attempt to calm him down, immediately grabs Pikachu but is shocked by the electricity. Immediately, the blue lightning and the black clouds disperse and the sky is calm once again. Ash falls back onto the floor, and his mom rushes to his side. Pikachu lies on the floor, his cheeks sparking and the electronic systems in the lab mysteriously regain power.
Mrs. Ketchum, followed by Oshawott, is concerned for Ash, who reassures them and gets up immediately, worried about Pikachu. The Electric Mouse Pokémon gets up, smiles and charges his tail with electricity, showing Ash he has recovered. In order to test out Pikachu's electricity further, Ash commands Pikachu to use Thunderbolt and Volt Tackle on him. After Ash is given a decent shock from Pikachu, he comes to the conclusion that Pikachu is back to normal, before collapsing due to exhaustion.
Later that night, while having dinner together with Pikachu, his mother, and Professor Oak, Ash announces that he wants to begin a new adventure in Unova, to be able to meet new Pokémon and make new friends, and will be challenging the Unova League. Approving of his decision, Professor Oak tells him that he will take good care of his other Pokémon while he is away, while Ash's mother advises Pikachu to look after Ash. Professor Oak, as a researcher, requests Ash to occasionally report to him about new Pokémon and discoveries. Right after their dinner, Professor Juniper gives Ash a Pokédex and five Poké Balls, and tells him that the first Gym is at Striaton City. She also reminds him that he may meet his rival, Trip, while on his journey.
As the sun rises the next morning, Ash is now prepared to leave for his journey. Meanwhile, Mrs. Ketchum, standing beside the two Professors, now rattles off a list of advice and to-dos for Ash on his journey. He tells her that he is not a young boy anymore, and when Professor Juniper informs him about the Pokémon Center after leaving the forest, he turns around and sets off, the three adults cheering him on. Oshawott watches from behind.
Ash walks into the forest, wondering what kind of Pokémon he will catch first before he hears rustling from a bush, and seeing something purple, he checks his Pokédex. The electronic gadget displays a picture of an Axew, apparently green in color, which leaves Ash confused. Despite this, he throws a Poké Ball, and it actually hits a girl's head. The girl rises from the bush, enraged at being thought of as a Pokémon. Ash immediately apologies for his actions. Accepting his apology, the girl raises the fruit she had picked to her hair and an Axew pops out, grabs the fruit and jumps to the ground, eating it. As Pikachu walks towards Axew, the girl excitedly picks him up and starts playing with his cheeks, hugging him tightly. She admits Pikachu is unusual in Unova, before introducing herself as Iris. During the conversation, Iris continues squeezing Pikachu, who struggles to breathe and discharges a lot of electricity, shocking Iris and causing her to drop to the ground. Later on, Iris apologizes to Pikachu, and she questions Ash about the incident that happened yesterday. Hearing that Professor Juniper described the Pokémon as Zekrom, she gets even more curious, but Ash and Pikachu, spotting a Deerling, become distracted and chase after it.
Somewhere in a cave, the Team Rocket trio report to Giovanni that they have successfully infiltrated the Unova region. Plotting to capture Pikachu and a Legendary Pokémon they had encountered, the trio requests to have their Pokémon that they had left in the Headquarters. However, Matori interrupts, and tells them that using Pokémon that are not native to Unova would raise suspicions, so they will have to catch Pokémon only found in Unova. Meowth wonders if he will be alright, as he is not native to Unova. Giovanni takes his leave, and the three become very determined to succeed. Back at Team Rocket HQ, Giovanni once again reaffirms his secretary's doubts, though he is sure that their operations will result in Unova's secret organization revealing themselves. Meanwhile, the trio is inspecting the 'Starter Kit' they have been sent which comes with Poké Balls, when a colony of Woobat flies towards them.
Back in the forest, Ash spots a herd of Deerling near a pond, and checks his Pokédex. He throws a Poké Ball, which is easily deflected. Iris teases Ash for not battling the Deerling first, to which Ash responds he was trying his luck even though he hasn't done so in a while. Ash is about to send Pikachu into battle when one of the Deerling alerts the herd, and they all run away. They soon realize the cause of the fleeing: an incoming scurry of rampant Patrat.
Night soon approaches and the sun begins to set. As Ash and Iris begin searching for food, Ash picks an apple from the tree and wonders if it could be eaten. Iris manages to obtain a mountain of apples from the same tree. As night falls, Iris and Axew are sitting in the tree, while Ash and Pikachu sit beneath it, all four eating apples. They soon talk about yesterday's incident with Zekrom. Iris exclaims excitedly about encountering Zekrom, while Ash looks forward to the possibility of meeting mysterious Pokémon like Zekrom everywhere. Ash looks up and realizes that Iris and Axew have fallen asleep. Ash and Pikachu begin admiring the brilliant, star-filled night sky, when a shooting star, a symbol of good luck, runs across their field of vision. The two soon become excited about their journey, and as they exchange energized chatter, Oshawott appears from behind a bush, oblivious to the two of them.
The next day, Ash wakes to find Iris missing, but nevertheless continues with his journey. He sees a Pidove flying above the forest, checks his Pokédex, and decides to catch it before giving chase. Reaching a clearing where a flock of Pidove have gathered, Ash tells Pikachu to engage the closest one. Pikachu, using a super-effective Thunderbolt against Pidove, causes it to faint. However, when Ash is about to throw a Poké Ball, the enraged flock of Pidove attacks them with Air Cutter and Quick Attack, buying enough time for the fainted Pidove to recover and flee. As the entire flock fly off, Ash notes that catching Pokémon is never easy, before realizing that a single Pidove has remained behind.
Seizing this opportunity, Ash commands Pikachu to use Quick Attack, and Pidove is sent flying across the ground. She manages to get onto her feet, recovers and tries to regain an awareness of her surroundings. As she was doing so, Pikachu jumps into the air and lands an Iron Tail attack on Pidove, knocking her down. Ash quickly throws a Poké Ball. For a moment Ash thinks he's caught her, but Pidove breaks free. Pidove attacks Pikachu with Gust, Quick Attack and an Air Cutter. Confident, she attempts to finish Pikachu off with another Quick Attack but Pikachu jumps into the air in time to dodge. The surprised Pidove flies straight into a tree. Pikachu prepares a Thunderbolt as Pidove gets up, trying and failing to avoid the attack. Ash throws the Poké Ball again and catches Pidove. As Ash and Pikachu celebrate the success of their first catch in Unova, Iris shows up with an apple, saying that his celebration over catching a Pidove is typical of a small child's behavior. Ash exclaims that he now has a new partner to compete alongside in the Unova League. During the conversation, Axew splits the apple from Iris and shares it with Pikachu. Before the two Pokémon could finish eating, a pair of mechanical hands grab them.
Ash and Iris turn around to find the Team Rocket trio, standing beside the 'hands'-machine and reciting their new motto. Iris questions who Team Rocket are, and after learning their evil ambitions, she immediately demands Team Rocket to return her Axew. She also notices that Meowth is able to talk, and Meowth proclaims that he's far more intelligent than all other Meowth. Team Rocket places Pikachu and Axew in a glass box, forcing Ash to send out Pidove. In an attempt to show how strong Pokémon from Kanto are, Jessie sends Meowth to battle, who attempts to use Fury Swipes. Pidove sends Meowth flying backwards with Gust. Jessie sends out her newly- caught Woobat. Pidove evades the Woobat's Air Slash and charges at it with Quick Attack. Woobat dodges to the side, turns around, and uses Gust, knocking out Pidove, and Jessie recalls Woobat.
James prepares a hot air balloon for their escape. Desperate, Ash and Iris both climb a nearby tree and Ash leaps to the rescue. However, he misses the glass capsule and falls to the ground. Things seem hopeless until Oshawott suddenly appears from nowhere and throws his scalchop at Team Rocket's balloon, causing it to crash which shatters the glass box. As the Pokémon are thrown clear, both Ash and Iris jump forward to catch their Pokémon, while Oshawott catches his scalchop, places it back on his belly and jumps for joy. However, Team Rocket will not retreat without a fight. Ash tells Pikachu to use Thunderbolt, but Jessie immediately sends out Woobat and the Bat Pokémon uses Air Slash, which hits Pikachu and Axew first. Jessie orders another Air Slash. Just before Woobat can attack, Oshawott jumps in front of the two Pokémon and uses Water Gun on Woobat, sending it flying towards Team Rocket. Pikachu gets up and charges into Volt Tackle, but James throws a smoke bomb, allowing Team Rocket to make a clean getaway. Pikachu and Axew collapse onto the ground from exhaustion. Ash grabs Pikachu and thanks Oshawott, before he and Iris rush off to the Pokémon Center. Oshawott stares blankly as they disappear into the distance, puzzled as to what had happened.
Later that evening, Pikachu, Pidove and Axew are released from treatment at the Pokémon Center. Nurse Joy exclaims that it's the first time she's treated a Pikachu, and Ash introduces himself. As a Kanto region Trainer and his first visit to a Unova Pokémon Center, she formally welcomes him on behalf of all the Pokémon Centers. Iris thanks Ash for helping her rescue Axew, but Ash says that Oshawott was the true hero. As Ash wonders why Oshawott had helped them, the Sea Otter Pokémon peeps into the Pokémon Center and observes Ash from a distance.
- Zekrom appears again, and Pikachu recovers his Electric powers.
- Ash decides to remain in Unova and challenge its Pokémon League.
- Ash leaves his Sinnoh Pokémon under Professor Oak's care.
- Ash receives a new Pokédex and five Poké Balls from Professor Juniper.
- Ash learns the first Unova League Gym is in Striaton City.
- Ash meets a mysterious girl named Iris and her Axew.
- Iris decides to follow Ash on his journey.
- Jessie and James are revealed to have left all of their Pokémon at Team Rocket's Headquarters.
- Ash tries and fails to catch a Deerling.
- Ash catches a Pidove.
- Jessie catches a Woobat.
- Iris encounters Team Rocket for the first time.
- Professor Juniper's Oshawott is revealed to know Water Gun.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the history page.
- Nurse Joy
- Professor Oak
- Trip (flashback)
- Professor Juniper
- Pikachu (Ash's)
- Meowth (Team Rocket)
- Axew (Iris's)
- Pidove (Ash's; new)
- Woobat (Jessie's; new; debut)
- Snivy (Trip's; flashback)
- Oshawott (Juniper's)
- Zekrom (anime)
- Deerling (Spring form; multiple)
- Woobat (multiple; debut)
- Patrat (multiple)
- Pidove (multiple)
- Professor Oak's Pokémon Live Caster: Poké Balls
- Even though she debuted in the previous episode, Iris is officially introduced in this episode.
- This and the previous episode are the first episodes to air in Japan after the earliest releases of Pokémon Black and White in Japan, Hong Kong, and Taiwan.
- This episode marks the first appearance of the Unova Nurse Joy design.
- This is the second time James has no Pokémon on hand, and the first time for Jessie.
- Team Rocket's balloon has been redesigned from a Meowth to a purple balloon.
- This episode is the only appearance of the purple balloon.
- As of this episode, Wobbuffet is no longer a member of the main cast until The Dream Continues!.
- The English dub of this episode aired as a one-hour special along with In The Shadow of Zekrom!. This makes it the first time more than one new episode premiered during the same day since Tag! We're It...!, Glory Blaze!, and Smells Like Team Spirit! aired together back on February 1, 2008.
- Music from Arceus and the Jewel of Life is used as background music.
- This and the previous episode were aired in Italy on Disney XD one day after the American airing.
- This marks the first time an episode is aired in Italy one day after the American airing.
- Ash catches a Pidove and Jessie catches a Woobat, but oddly enough, these Pokémon swarm in Nuvema Town after the player goes out, whether in day or night.
- When Pidove first breaks free of the Poké Ball, Ash exclaims "I almost had it too!" This is likely a reference to the games, where a similar message is displayed when a Pokémon breaks free of a Poké Ball after two or three shakes, depending on the generation.
- This marks the first time when Ash has received a new Pokédex from someone other than Professor Oak.
- In the scene where Matori puts the coffee on Giovanni's desk, the yellow stripes on Giovanni's uniform are missing.
- Before Ash catches Pidove, he flips his hat backwards, but when Ash picks the Poké Ball up, his hat is facing forwards.
- When Team Rocket capture Pikachu and Axew, Pikachu is shown to be held in the left arm and Axew in the right. Later on, they are shown in the opposite arms.
- After Iris says "Axew isn't yours. It's mine", Pikachu's right cheek is missing.
- When Pikachu collapses near the end of the episode, a bit of grass can be seen over Pikachu's left ear.
- In the English dub, Professor Oak wants Ash to report to him about the new Pokémon he meets. In the original Japanese version, he specifies that he wants to hear about the unusual and rare Pokémon Ash encounters.
- In the English dub, Delia asks Ash if he has clean underwear. In the original Japanese version, she asks him if he forgot anything.
In other languages
|Bulgarian||Влизат Ирис и Аксю!|
|Croatian||Ulaze Iris i Axew!|
|Czech||Přichází Iris a Axew!|
|Danish||Iris og Axew!|
|Dutch||Hier zijn Iris en Axew|
|Finnish||Tavatkaa Iris ja Axew!|
|European French||Iris et Coupenotte entrent en scène !|
|German||Die Reise beginnt...!|
|Greek||Γνωριμία με την Άιρις και τον Axew!|
|Hindi||Iris और Axew की एंट्री! Iris aur Axew ki Entry!|
|Indonesian||Iris dan Axew!|
|Italian||Entrino Iris e Axew!|
|Korean||새로운 친구 아이리스와 터검니|
|Norwegian||Møtet med Iris og Axew!|
|Polish||Nadchodzą Iris i Axew!|
|Portuguese||Brazil||Entram Iris e Axew!|
|Portugal||Entram em Cena a Iris e o Axew!|
|Russian||Знакомство с Ирис и Эксъю!|
|Serbian||Ulaze Ajris i Aksju!|
|Spanish||Latin America||¡Entran Iris y Axew!|
|Spain||¡Entran Iris y Axew!|
|Swedish||Iris och Axew!|
|Thai||ไอริส กับ คิบาโกะ|
|Turkish||Iris ve Axew gelirler!|
|Vietnamese||Airisu và Kibago|
|This episode article is part of Project Anime, a Bulbapedia project that covers all aspects of the Pokémon anime.|