From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
|| This article is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this article to add missing information and complete it.
Reason: Quotes and role from the games.
Melony (Japanese: メロン Melon) is the Gym Leader of Circhester's Gym, known officially as Circhester Stadium. She specializes in Ice-type Pokémon. She gives the Ice Badge to Trainers who defeat her. In Pokémon Sword, her son Gordie takes her place as Circhester's Gym Leader instead.
In the games
Melony is the sixth Gym Leader Galar Trainers face in their Gym Challenge in Pokémon Shield. She has been the Gym Leader of Circhester since her twenties. She is also the only known Gym Leader to have ever defeated Raihan, who is said to be the strongest Gym Leader in the Galar League. At one point, she wanted her son Gordie to run the Gym as her successor. However, her son wanted to be a Rock-type user instead. This led to a battle that caused the whole town to split, with the two never speaking to each other again. Despite this, Melony somehow became the first member of Gordie's fan club.
While normally generous and bighearted, she loves to battle hard, along with hitting the opponent's weak spot with unflinching accuracy. Her battle style is described as severe and stoic. It is believed her harsh battle style was influenced by the fight she had with her son. Melony's Gym is considered a major roadblock by many Gym Challengers who visits it. The reason is due to the powerful Gym Trainers having been trained by her strict and very effective coaching.
This is a transcript of the back of Melony's League Cards in Pokémon Shield.
- Normal League Card
- "Melony has been a Gym Leader since she was in her twenties. She is also known as a very effective coach, but her coaching style is incredibly strict. Her battle style is fittingly severe and stoic, as well. Any Gym Trainers who manage to remain under Melony are sure to be powerful opponents. Thus many see Circhester Stadium as a major roadblock for Gym Challengers. Many quietly speculate that Melony's harsh battle style is due to a fight she had with her son."
- Rare League Card
- "Melony wanted Gordie to take over as the Gym Leader of Circhester, while Gordie wanted to dedicate himself to Rock-type Pokémon. The Pokémon battle between the two ended up dividing the whole town. Ever since that day, Melony and Gordie hardly ever see each other. That being said, Melony supposedly managed to become the first member of Gordie's fan club. Gordie seems to have a complicated expression in their photo together, but then again, that may just be one's own imagination..."
Melony keeps her Pokémon in Ultra Balls.
Galarian Star Tournament
- Circhester Stadium
- "I am Melony. As you can clearly see, I've assembled a team of all Ice-type Pokémon. You! You aren't sore all over from falling in a hole or two, are you? Even if you are, I'm not going to hold back! All righty, I suppose we should get started. You won't be able to escape when I freeze you solid. And after that... Well, you'll see. I think you'll find my battle style is quite severe. "
- Before battle, if reached without falling into any holes
- "I am Melony. As you can clearly see, I've assembled a team of all Ice-type Pokémon. Well, fancy that! You made it all the way to me without falling in a hole. If I'm not careful, you could sweep my feet right out from under me. All righty, I suppose we should get started. You won't be able to escape when I freeze you solid. And after that... Well, you'll see. I think you'll find my battle style is quite severe. "
- Upon sending out last Pokémon
- "Even if it cracks, ice is still ice! I'll show you what I mean!"
- "Come now—go on and Gigantamax. I'll let you freeze everything solid."
- "My partner's signature move invites you to a subzero world!"
- "I just want to climb into a hole... Well, I guess it'd be more like falling from here, right?"
- "You... You're pretty good, huh? Of course seeing my Pokémon lose is sad, but to meet someone so young with such ability is quite grand. Here, take this sparkling Ice Badge! For some reason, I can't help but imagine my son challenging you after you become the Champion. If that time comes...give him a right thrashing, would you?"
- Wyndon Stadium (Champion Cup Locker Room)
- "I won't be putting on a showy battle for the crowd. I'll show everyone what a severe battle truly is."
- Circhester Stadium (Sordward and Shielbert)
- "Get to safety, you three!"
- "Oh, it's you three. I was a little too into things and didn't notice right away, I'm afraid."
- "There appear to be no less than four Dynamax Pokémon. I was just going over a plan on how to handle things. With all these strong Trainers together, I'm sure we can work something out here! Are you all ready, then? Let's head to the pitch!"
- "Phew! Is everyone feeling all right?"
- "Ohoho! Of course you had no problem, <player>! You really seem like a reliable Trainer, too, Hop!"
- "I'll take care of the Pokémon we battled. No need for anyone to worry. <player>. It's not much of a reward, but have a copy of my League Card."
- "Give me a call if anything happens! Don't overdo it out there!"
- Wyndon Stadium (Champion Cup Rematch)
- "So what are your top 10 favorite Pokémon?...That's just how I break the ice. Are you ready for a Pokémon battle now?"
- "I think you took breaking the ice a little too literally..."
- "It helps inspire my Gym Trainers if I participate in this tournament from time to time! My only choice is to keep aiming for that grand victory!"
- Isle of Armor Random Encounters
- "Goodness, fancy meeting you here! Curious about my top-secret training regime, are you?"
- "Well, that's a shame, because I can't let you see! You'll have to wait just a tad longer."
- "I got an Armor Pass from someone I know, so I thought... why not take the chance to raise my Pokémon in some fresh scenery?"
- "It's so damp in here and the heat's unbearable! Perhaps my Circhester outfit was a touch too heavy after all."
- "Quite the view up here, isn't it? Look how far you can see! A shame you can't make out Circhester, but I suppose that's only reasonable."
- "Just now I slipped and fell on my rear, but I wasn't a bit hurt. Thank goodness I layered up properly!"
- "Ahaha! The moment we get near the water, Lapras looks ready for a swim. Perhaps it's time for a break from training."
- "Whoever named this place was spot on — it's like standing in the bottom of a curry pot! A fine place to train oneself to face the harshest of environments with a stiff upper lip!"
- "It gets so hot in the Isle of Armor sunlight — it makes me break out in sweat! I just want to spend the daytime clinging to my nice, cool Lapras."
- During overcast conditions
- "It's quite gloomy with all these clouds, isn't it? Take care you don't trip over a rock or a Slowpoke lying around."
- During rain or thunderstorms
- "What a cool, refreshing rain! Lapras is loving the chance to soak in it, too!"
- "Goodness me, <player>! Isn't this sand something? Thanks to my hat and muffler, though, it's nothing too awful."
- "I suspect you might find some unusual Pokémon in mist-erious weather like this!"
- Wyndon Stadium (Galarian Star Tournament)
- Partnering with Melony
- In the locker room before the first round
- "Looks like someone needs to chill. You want the power of my ice to slide to victory? Don't worry-- we'll have these weak opponents trembling before us!"
- In the locker room before the second round
- "Just what I'd expected of you, Champion! This is going to be fun, battling with you. Let's bring the temperature down even lower. I won't lose here, so take care you don't freeze!"
- In the locker room before the last round
- "You've done well, battling so many times in a row. One more match till we win the whole thing! You sure you have it in you? I won't let you live it down if you drop the ball because you're too tired!"
- On the field before the first round battle
- "Come on, <player>! Let's win this, nice and cool!"
- On the field before the second round battle
- "They may be all fired up for battle, but we'll freeze them solid--passion and all."
- On the field before the last round battle
- "You and I, we can do this! One of them's all yours, love!"
- "What a strong performance all around! This victory was a true team effort. Now, just remember--even if we're on opposite sides next time, don't you hold back one jot!"
In the anime
In Pokémon: Twilight Wings
Melony appeared as a visual in Assistant, where she battled Gordie's Coalossal in its Gigantamax form.
She physically appeared in Sky, where she gave her thoughts about Leon in an interview.
In The Gathering of Stars, Melony was seen relaxing at the Hero's Bath in Circhester with her Galarian Darmanitan and Frosmoth after receiving an invitation letter for the Galarian Star Tournament. She was later seen at Wyndon Stadium, walking out onto the field for the tournament's opening ceremony.
In the GOTCHA! music video
Melony briefly appeared in GOTCHA!.
- Melony's uniform number is "361", which can be read in Japanese as goroawase for 寒い samui, meaning "cold".
|| メロン Melon
|| From melon
| English, Brazilian
|| From melon
|| From Melone (melon)
|| From melón (melon)
|| From melon
|| From melone (melon)
|| 멜론 Melon
|| From her Japanese name
| Chinese (Mandarin)
|| 美蓉 Měiróng
|| From the transcription of her Japanese name and possibly 美容 měiróng / méihyùhng (beauty)
| Chinese (Cantonese)
|| 美蓉 Méihyùhng