Breakable rock

From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Jump to navigationJump to search
050Diglett.png This article is incomplete.
Please feel free to edit this article to add missing information and complete it.
Reason: Chances of items appearing in Generations VI–VII; detailed locations of each rock and what they block access to, Gen. VIII (BDSP) info

Breakable rocks are a type of obstacle appearing in many core series games, commonly found on rugged routes and in caves. To get past them, the player must use the help of a Pokémon to break them. They appear in Generations II to IV, Generation VI, and Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, in which they can be broken using the field move Rock Smash, and in Pokémon Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun, and Ultra Moon, in which they can be broken using the Ride Pokémon Tauros Charge and Sharpedo Jet.

In regions other than Sinnoh, it is possible for the player to find something after breaking a breakable rock. In Generations II and III, there is a chance of a wild Pokémon appearing. In Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver and in Generation VI, there is a chance of either a wild Pokémon or an item appearing. In Pokémon Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun, and Ultra Moon, there is a chance of an item appearing.

Generation II

In Pokémon Gold, Silver, and Crystal, when using Rock Smash on a breakable rock, there is a 60% chance that nothing will happen afterwards and a 40% chance that a Pokémon will appear.

Location Pokémon
Dark Cave Krabby Shuckle
Burned Tower
Route 40
Cianwood City
Ice Path
Mt. Moon Square

Generation III

Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald

In Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, breakable rocks on Route 111 block the player's advancement north until they have received the Dynamo Badge. Depending on the location, players have either a 1/9 or 5/36 chance of encountering a Pokémon each time they smash a rock. This chance can be modified by a bicycle, White Flute, Black Flute, or Cleanse Tag.

Location Pokémon
Granite Cave Geodude Nosepass
Route 111* Geodude
Route 114
Trick House (puzzle 3)*
Mirage Tower*E
Route 115
Rusturf Tunnel**
Seafloor Cavern*
Safari Zone Geodude ShuckleE
Victory Road* Geodude Graveler

*: Rock Smash is required to reach a certain part of this location

**: The rocks are cleared permanently

FireRed and LeafGreen

Location Pokémon
Kindle Road Geodude Graveler
Mt. Ember
Rock Tunnel
Sevault Canyon
Cerulean Cave
Mt. Ember (B3F) Slugma Magcargo
Four Island

Generation IV

Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum

In Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, breakable rocks in the Ravaged Path prevent the player from reaching Floaroma Town until they have received the Coal Badge.

Location
Oreburgh Gate*
Ravaged Path*
Wayward Cave*
Mt. Coronet
Route 208
Route 210
Route 211
Route 213
Route 214
Route 222
Victory Road*
Route 228

*: Rock Smash is required to reach a certain part of this location

HeartGold and SoulSilver

In HeartGold and SoulSilver, the game generates a random number from 0 to 99. If the generated number is lower than the location's first %, the game will generate an encounter with a wild Pokémon from the encounter table. If this fails, or there are no wild encounters in that location, it will generate a random number from 0 to 99 for an item instead using the second %; if that check fails as well, smashing the rock yields nothing.

Location Pokémon Items
Violet City (—/50%) Max Ether Max Ether (25%)

Revive Revive (20%)

Heart Scale Heart Scale (10%)

Red Shard Red Shard (10%)

Green Shard Green Shard (10%)

Blue Shard Blue Shard (10%)

Yellow Shard Yellow Shard (10%)

Star Piece Star Piece (5%)

Tohjo Falls (—/15%)
Route 3 (—/10%)
Mt. Silver (—/25%)
Dark Cave (50%/50%) Geodude Dunsparce
Cianwood City (30%/20%) Krabby Shuckle
Victory Road (40%/10%) Geodude Graveler
Cerulean Cave B1F (5%/30%)
Cerulean Cave 1F (5%/25%)
Cerulean Cave 2F* (—/25%)
Vermilion City (40%/25%) Diglett Shuckle
Rock Tunnel (20%/30%) Geodude
Route 19 (30%/20%) Krabby Kingler
Ruins of Alph (20%/30%) Geodude
HG SS
Red Shard Red Shard (25%)
Yellow Shard Yellow Shard (20%)
Helix Fossil Helix Fossil (10%) Dome Fossil Dome Fossil (10%)
Max Ether Max Ether (10%)
Blue Shard Blue Shard (10%)
Green Shard Green Shard (10%)
Old Amber Old Amber (10%)
Max Revive Max Revive (5%)
Burned Tower* (—/—)
Cliff Cave (30%/25%) Krabby Kingler
HG SS
Max Ether Max Ether (25%)
Pearl Pearl (20%)
Big Pearl Big Pearl (10%)
Red Shard Red Shard (10%) Blue Shard Blue Shard (10%)
Yellow Shard Yellow Shard (10%) Green Shard Green Shard (10%)
Claw Fossil Claw Fossil (20%) Root Fossil Root Fossil (20%)
Rare Bone Rare Bone (5%)

*: Rock Smash is required to reach a certain part of this location

Generation V

In Generation V, Rock Smash is not a field move, and there are no breakable rocks like in other games. In Black 2 and White 2, however, the player can help clear a section of boulders in Clay Tunnel if a Pokémon in their party knows Rock Smash.

Generation VI

In Generation VI, when using Rock Smash on a breakable rock, there is an even chance that: nothing will happen afterwards, a Pokémon will appear, or an item will appear.

Pokémon X and Y

Location Pokémon Items
Ambrette Town Dwebble Binacle Big Pearl Big Pearl

Ether Ether

Hard Stone Hard Stone

Heart Scale Heart Scale

Max Ether Max Ether

Max Revive Max Revive

Pearl Pearl

Revive Revive

Soft Sand Soft Sand

Star Piece Star Piece

Route 8
Route 12
Azure Bay
Cyllage City OnixX Dwebble BinacleY
Route 13 Graveler Slugma
Route 18 Graveler Shuckle
Terminus Cave
Victory Road
Glittering Cave Onix Dwebble
X Y
Old Amber Old Amber
Pre-Hall of Fame:
Hard Stone Hard Stone
Revive Revive
Post-Hall of Fame:
Claw Fossil Claw Fossil Dome Fossil Dome Fossil
Root Fossil Root Fossil Helix Fossil Helix Fossil
Skull Fossil Skull Fossil
Armor Fossil Armor Fossil
Cover Fossil Cover Fossil
Plume Fossil Plume Fossil

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

In Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, breakable rocks on Route 111 block the player's advancement north until they have received the Dynamo Badge.

Location Pokémon Items
Rusturf Tunnel Geodude Big Pearl Big Pearl

Ether Ether

Hard Stone Hard Stone

Heart Scale Heart Scale

Max Ether Max Ether

Max Revive Max Revive

Normal Gem Normal Gem

Pearl Pearl

Revive Revive

Soft Sand Soft Sand

Star Piece Star Piece

Route 111*
Route 114
Granite Cave Geodude Nosepass
Lilycove City Graveler
Shoal Cave
Seafloor Cavern
Trick House (puzzle 2)*
Mirage Caves Graveler Boldore
OR AS
Dome Fossil Dome Fossil Helix Fossil Helix Fossil
Armor Fossil Armor Fossil Skull Fossil Skull Fossil
Plume Fossil Plume Fossil Cover Fossil Cover Fossil
Old Amber Old Amber
Mirage Forests Graveler
Mirage Islands Graveler Binacle
Mirage Mountains Graveler Crustle

*: Rock Smash is required to reach a certain part of this location

Generation VII

050Diglett.png This section is incomplete.
Please feel free to edit this section to add missing information and complete it.
Reason: Thorough checking of items in each location such that we are confident these are complete lists

Pokémon Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun, and Ultra Moon

In Pokémon Sun, Moon, Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, breakable rocks can appear both on land and in the water. On land, these rocks can be broken by the Poké Ride Tauros Charge; in the water, they can be broken by the Poké Ride Sharpedo Jet.

When these rocks are broken, occasionally a sparkling item will be left the aftermath, making a noise while the player is near it until they pick it up.

Location Games Items
Iki Town USUM
Wela Volcano Park
Route 1 SMUSUM Stardust Stardust
Route 2
Route 6
Melemele Sea
Lush Jungle
Route 3 USUM
Exeggutor Island
Route 15 SMUSUM Stardust Stardust
Star Piece Star Piece
Route 17
Vast Poni Canyon SMUSUM Stardust Stardust
Star Piece Star Piece
Comet Shard Comet Shard
Poni Plains
Resolution Cave
Poni Coast
Poni Breaker Coast USUM

Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon Special Demo Version

In the Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon Special Demo Version, breakable rocks appear on Mahalo Trail. The player cannot obtain items from breaking these rocks.

Gallery

050Diglett.png This section is incomplete.
Please feel free to edit this section to add missing information and complete it.
Reason: Ripped model from BDSP

Rocks

GSC
GSC Rock Smash.png
RSE
RSE Rock Smash.png
FRLG
FRLG Rock Smash.png
DPPtHGSS
Gen IV Rock Smash.png
B2W2
B2W2 Rock Smash.png
XYORAS
Gen VI Rock Smash.png

Breaking rocks


Project Games logo.png This game-related article is part of Project Games, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on the Pokémon games.