|This article is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this article to add missing information and complete it.
Reason: Missing layout images from HGSS
|Location:||Goldenrod City, Saffron City|
|Region:||Johto and Kanto|
Location of Magnet Train in Johto and Kanto.
|Pokémon world locations|
The Magnet Train (Japanese: リニアモーターカー Maglev Train, lit. Linear Motorcar) is a maglev that runs between Johto's Goldenrod City and Kanto's Saffron City. It allows rapid travel between the two cities, moving at over 340 miles per hour (over 550 kilometers per hour).
In the games
Initially, the train is out of service because a Team Rocket Grunt has stolen the Machine Part from the Kanto Power Plant. After the player retrieves the part from the Cerulean Gym and returns it to the Power Plant, the train is able to run.
A Pass is required to board the train. The Copycat has a Pass, which she received as compensation for her house in Saffron City being demolished to make way for the Magnet Train station; she will give it to the player as a reward for returning her Lost Item, a Poké Doll that Red gave to her three years before.
In Generation II, the Magnet Train runs on the railway tracks along the ground. In Generation IV, the train and its station run along an elevated track, much like a monorail, though this track goes underground as it approaches Saffron City.
In Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver, after the player has caught Zapdos at the Power Plant and obtained Lt. Surge's phone number, he appears at the Saffron City Magnet Train station, where he offers to trade the player his Pikachu, Volty, in exchange for another Pikachu.
In the anime
In A Goldenrod Opportunity, Team Rocket had to use a cart to get from Goldenrod City to Saffron City in order to escape from Ash, Misty, Brock, and Whitney, because the Magnet Train would not be ready until a year from the following Tuesday.
The Magnet Train was mentioned again in Best Wishes Until We Meet Again!, where Iris and Cilan made plans to travel from Saffron City by taking the Magnet Train line to Goldenrod City. This suggests the Magnet Train was finally completed.
In the manga
The Magnet Train appeared in Yikes, It's Yanma!, where it was used to transport the Gym Leaders of both the Kanto and Johto regions to the Indigo Plateau for the tournament held there, the event being its maiden voyage. The Magnet Train line was routed through the Indigo Plateau for the event. When Neo Team Rocket attacked the Indigo Plateau, they took control of the Magnet Train and stationed Team Rocket Grunts inside. They tricked the Gym Leaders into boarding the train, which then departed, leaving the Indigo Plateau wide open for an attack by the Masked Man's Ho-Oh and Lugia. Sometime later, in The Last Battle III, it took Brock's Geodude and Red's Snor's combined efforts to stop the train when it became out-of-control and couldn't be stopped normally.
Pokémon Pocket Monsters
The Magnet Train appeared in The Great Helper!.
- The Magnet Train is most likely based on either the Tōkaidō Shinkansen bullet train that runs from Tokyo to Osaka, or the planned Chūō Shinkansen maglev line between the same two cities. Tokyo and Osaka are Saffron City and Goldenrod City's respective real-world counterparts.
- The Tōkaidō Shinkansen is powered by an electrical overhead line, while the Magnet Train is a maglev, propelled by a moving magnetic field.
- In Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver, the Magnet Train's tracks are visible on Route 32, traveling overhead. However, the tracks are not visible on any route in Kanto, nor on Routes 30 or 46.
- One of the programs on the Pokégear mentions rumors about a ghost Magnet Train.
- In Pokémon X and Y, a Lass in Lumiose Station states that the world's fastest train can travel at 310 miles per hour (500 kilometers per hour), despite the Magnet Train being able to reach speeds of over 340 miles per hour (over 550 kilometers per hour).
In other languages
|This article is part of Project Locations, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on every location in the Pokémon world.|