From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| The Bridge Bike Gang
Stormy Cycling Road
|| December 2, 1997
| United States
|| October 23, 1998
|| Team Ota
|| 大橋志吉 Yukiyoshi Ōhashi
|| 横田和 Kazu Yokota
| Assistant director
|| 大町繁 Shigeru Ōmachi
| Animation director
|| 武田優作 Yūsaku Takeda
| Additional credits
The Bridge Bike Gang (Japanese: あらしのサイクリングロード Stormy Cycling Road) is the 36th episode of the Pokémon anime. It was first broadcast in Japan on December 2, 1997 and in the United States on October 23, 1998.
In the course of a journey, one meets up with many different things. Returning to civilization after a long period of wandering, our heroes find a bridge that reaches 20 kilometers in length. There is no way to reach Sunnytown—on the other side of the bridge—but by crossing. The bridge, however, has been designed especially for bicycles. The party tries to purchase bicycles in order to cross the bridge, but lacking the funds and otherwise at a complete loss, they decide to stop by the Pokémon Center and re-evaluate their plans. At the Pokémon Center, by pure luck, a job awaits them—delivering medicine to Sunnytown.
Ash, Misty, and Brock came across a bridge during their travels. They wanted to walk on it but an officer named Norman said only the bike track was ready, not the actual road. Devastated, the group then attempted to get a bike but was unsuccessful. When they arrived at the Pokémon Center to think of a plan to get a bike, they found a worried Nurse Joy. She said she had to deliver medicine for injured Pokémon over the bridge to Sunnytown, but she could not leave the center because she had Pokémon to attend to. Ash and Misty agreed enthusiastically. As they rode joyfully across the bridge, James, Jessie and Meowth sailed slowly below the bridge. Jessie made plans.
Just after Ash and his group finished their refreshments, a strange group of wild bikers came. They tried to escape but were surrounded. The leader of the gang, Chopper, challenged Ash to a battle. He sent out Golem and Ash sent out Bulbasaur. Golem easily defeated it with a single Tackle. Ash then sent out Charmander. Charmander set Golem on fire with a Flamethrower and an Ember. Golem tackled Charmander but ended up setting fire to three of the gang's members. Chopper withdrew his Golem but the Poké Ball was still hot from Charmander's attack.
Next, Tyra, the other leader of the bike gang, sent out Cloyster. Misty wanted to battle and tried to send out Starmie but Psyduck appeared. Misty decided to give it a chance, which got Tyra laughing her head off. Psyduck was clueless and the bike gang cracked up in laughter. Psyduck used Tail Whip and again, the bike gang laughed at it. After a few rounds of this humiliation, Team Rocket arrived and said their motto. But it appeared that Team Rocket were heroes in the bike gang's view. Jessie was called "Chain Jess" because she used to swing a chain around as she rode her bike. James was called "Little Jim" because he was the only one in the group who had used training wheels. Just as Team Rocket and the bike gang attacked Ash, Misty and Brock, the police arrived. The bike gang immediately rode off, almost leaving Team Rocket behind. When Officer Jenny arrived, she offered them a ride but then said she had a job to do. The weather got ferocious and turned into a storm. Meanwhile, Chopper and Tyra challenged Team Rocket to ride through the storm on their unicycles.
In Sunnytown, Nurse Joy was worried that medicine wasn't arriving to cure the injured Pokémon, a Shellder.
Then, a ship passed by and the bridge lifted up but Ash was determined to save the sick Pokémon, for it would have been too late if they had stopped for the bridge to go back down. Meanwhile, Team Rocket are trying their hardest to pedal their unicycles up the other side of the upturned bridge. Just as Ash, Misty, and Brock are not going to make it, they saw Team Rocket jumping off the other side and bounced on their heads, sending Team Rocket into the water while allowing them to be propelled upward and on to the other side. As they passed the bike gang, they challenged Ash to a battle. Ash, of course, refused and told them he's delivering medicine for a sick Pokémon. The bike gang realized now why they were riding through the storm and joined them. Nurse Joy in Sunnytown was relieved when the bike gang and Ash arrived with the medicine. The bike gang's new heroes were "Awesome Ash" and "Mighty Misty". Then, Brock tells Tyra that she can call him "Honey", only to receive a large, red slap across his face.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
Who's That Pokémon?: Cloyster
- This episode marks the first time Misty takes Brock by the ear when he is in love with a beautiful woman.
- The tune that plays when Red rides his Bicycle in Red and Blue is heard the first time Ash and his friends are seen on their loaned bikes.
- Chopper's bike design is based on Zapdos.
- In one scene at the Pokémon Center in Sunnytown, Chopper's hair is darker than usual.
- When Ash and his friends meet up with Officer Jenny, Pikachu is missing his cheeks.
- When Ash and friends are biking over the bridge, Ash rings his bicycle bell although his bike doesn't have a bell.
- In the Swedish dub, when Ash cheers for the idea to cross the bridge just before the title card shows up, his English voice can heard.
- PokéRap: Day 1 (Version 2)
- Originally, Misty wanted curry while Brock wanted ochazuke or pancakes. In the English version, Misty wants a hot dog while Brock wants deep-dish extra cheese pizza.
- The Pokémon Center's poster had text removed.
- Misty complains about doing all the work on the bike she and Brock share, while originally she was upset because she wanted a bike only she rode, not a shared bike.
- Big Jess and Little Jim's were originally addressed with 姉御 Anego (big sister) and 兄貴 Aniki (big brother).
- Jessie's original nickname was チェーンのムサシ Chēn no Musashi (Chain Musashi) instead of Chainer Jessie. While James's was 補助輪のコジロウ Hojorin no Kojirō (Training Wheels Kojirō) instead of Trainer James.
- In the Danish dub, Norman's dialogue is altered to include a contemporary pop culture reference to Scandlines TV commercial characters Kaj and Bøje, a pair of seagulls.
- In the Swedish dub, Norman states that the bridge is en och en halv mil, 15 kilometers.
- In the Swedish dub in the end Jessie and James says "nu är det jul igen" now it's christmas again, probably making a pun on that hjul wheel and jul christmas have the same pronunciation and the fact that they are cycling on a unicycle.
In other languages
| Mandarin Chinese
|| 暴風雨的單車路 / 暴风雨的单车路
|| Kolařský gang
|| De Brug Fietsbende
|| Sillan fillarijengi
|| La bande des bicyclettes
|| Le gang des bicyclettes|
La bande des bicyclettes*
|| Die Fahrrad-Gang
|| כנופיית אופני הגשר knufiat ofanei hagesher
|| ब्रिज की बाइक गाँग Bridge ki Bike Gang *
|| A biciklis banda
|| Avventura su due ruote* |
Una biciclettata sul ponte*
|| 긴급상황 포켓몬을 구하라
|| Gjengen på broen
|| Rowerowy gang wielkiego mostu
|| A Gangue das Bicicletas
|| O Gangue de Motoqueiros da Ponte
|| Gașca Bicicliștilor de pe Pod
|| Байкеры орудуют на мосту!
|| Latin America
|| ¡La banda del puente!
|| La banda de las bicis del puente|
La banda de la bici del puente*