From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| The Bridge Bike Gang
Stormy Cycling Road
|| December 2, 1997
| United States
|| October 23, 1998
|| Team Ota
|| 大橋志吉 Yukiyoshi Ōhashi
|| 横田和 Kazu Yokota
| Assistant director
|| 大町繁 Shigeru Ōmachi
| Animation director
|| 武田優作 Yūsaku Takeda
| Additional credits
The Bridge Bike Gang (Japanese: あらしのサイクリングロード Stormy Cycling Road) is the 36th episode of the Pokémon anime. It was first broadcast in Japan on December 2, 1997 and in the United States on October 23, 1998.
In the course of a journey, one meets up with many different things. Returning to civilization after a long period of wandering, our heroes find a bridge that reaches 20 kilometers in length. There is no way to reach Sunnytown—on the other side of the bridge—but by crossing. The bridge, however, has been designed especially for bicycles. The party tries to purchase bicycles in order to cross the bridge, but lacking the funds and otherwise at a complete loss, they decide to stop by the Pokémon Center and re-evaluate their plans. At the Pokémon Center, by pure luck, a job awaits them—delivering medicine to Sunnytown.
Ash, Misty, and Brock come across a bridge, but when they try to walk on it, an officer named Norman says only the bike track was ready, not the actual road. Devastated, the group then sees a bike store, though their prices prove to be expensive. The group retreats to the Pokémon Center to think of a plan to get a bike. Suddenly, a worried Nurse Joy appears and says she had to deliver medicine for injured Pokémon over the bridge to Sunnytown, but she cannot leave the Center because she has Pokémon to attend to. Ash and Misty agree to carry out the task for her after Nurse Joy informs them she has several spare bikes. Misty and Brock ride a tandem bicycle, whilst Ash leads in his single bike, enjoying the bridge's view and fresh air. Meanwhile, below the bridge, James rows an inflatable boat whilst Jessie and Meowth peer through their binoculars and notice Ash and his friends. Jessie and James mention the area could almost be considered their hometown and make plans to target Pikachu.
Just after Ash and his friends finish their refreshments, they find themselves surrounded by a group of wild bikers. They tried to escape, but the gang's leader Chopper challenges Ash to a battle. He sends out his Golem and Ash calls on Bulbasaur. Golem's shell protects it from Bulbasaur's Vine Whip and it easily wins with a single Tackle. Ash then sends out Charmander, who sets Golem alight with its Flamethrower and Fire Spin. Golem's Tackle misses Charmander, and it strikes several of the gang members instead. Chopper withdraws his Golem, but the Poké Ball is still hot from Charmander's attack.
Next, Tyra, the other leader of the bike gang, sends out Cloyster against Misty, who tries to send out Starmie, but Psyduck appears instead. Misty decides to give it a chance, but Psyduck's attacks repeatedly backfire on it. Before Psyduck has a chance to develop a headache from Cloyster's own attacks, Team Rocket arrives, riding on unicycles and saying their motto. They receive a heroes' welcome from the bicycle gang, who refer to Jessie as "Chainer Jessie" and "Big Jess" for her penchant of swinging a chain around as she rode her bike, and James as "Little Jim" and "Trainer James" because he was the only one in the group who had to use training wheels. Just as Team Rocket and the bike gang begin to attack Ash, Misty, and Brock, the police arrive. The bike gang immediately rides off, almost leaving Team Rocket behind. When Officer Jenny arrives, she offers them a ride, though she retracts her offer after being called to another emergency. As the weather becomes ferocious and turns into a storm, the bicycle gang and Team Rocket seek refuge in a building. Chopper and Tyra then challenge Team Rocket to ride through the storm on their unicycles. The whole trio falls for the peer pressure and accepts the task.
In Sunnytown, Nurse Joy calls the other Pokémon Center; she is worried that medicine hasn't arrived to cure the injured Pokémon, a Shellder. As Ash and his friends continue to ride through the rainstorm, the bridge lifts to allow a ship to pass through. However, they determinedly continue riding. Simultaneously, Team Rocket are trying their hardest to pedal their unicycles up the other side of the upturned bridge. Just as Ash, Misty, and Brock are not going to make it, they see Team Rocket jumping from the other side and promptly bounce on their heads, sending the trio into the water while allowing themselves to be propelled upward and on to the other side. As they pass the bike gang, they are challenged to a battle. When Ash refuses and tells them that he is delivering medicine for a sick Pokémon, the gang decides to escort them. They arrive in time, and Nurse Joy quickly pours the medicine into the tank, instantly improving Shellder's condition. Misty phones through to the other town's Nurse Joy, alerting her to their arrival. The bike gang promptly calls Ash and Misty "Awesome Ash" and "Mighty Misty". Brock tells Tyra that she can call him "Honey", only to receive a slap.
Meanwhile, Team Rocket emerges out of the water, stacked on a single unicycle and covered in seaweed.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
Who's That Pokémon?: Cloyster
- This episode marks the first time Misty takes Brock by the ear when he is in love with a beautiful woman.
- The tune that plays when Red rides his Bicycle in Red and Blue is heard the first time Ash and his friends are seen on their loaned bikes.
- Chopper's bike design is based on Zapdos.
- In one scene at the Pokémon Center in Sunnytown, Chopper's hair is darker than usual.
- When Ash and his friends meet up with Officer Jenny, Pikachu is missing his cheeks.
- When Ash and friends are biking over the bridge, Ash rings his bicycle bell although his bike doesn't have a bell.
- In the Swedish dub, when Ash cheers for the idea to cross the bridge just before the title card shows up, his English voice can heard.
- Bulbasaur used Vine Whip on Golem. However, Golem's shell is protected from being hit with Vine Whip, even though Grass-type moves should be super effective on Rock- and Ground-types.
- PokéRap: Day 1 (Version 2)
- Originally, Misty wanted curry while Brock wanted ochazuke or pancakes. In the English version, Misty wants a hot dog while Brock wants deep-dish extra cheese pizza.
- The Pokémon Center's poster had text removed.
- Misty complains about doing all the work on the bike she and Brock share, while originally she was upset because she wanted a bike only she rode, not a shared bike.
- Big Jess and Little Jim's were originally addressed with 姉御 Anego (big sister) and 兄貴 Aniki (big brother).
- Jessie's original nickname was チェーンのムサシ Chēn no Musashi (Chain Musashi) instead of Chainer Jessie. While James's was 補助輪のコジロウ Hojorin no Kojirō (Training Wheels Kojirō) instead of Trainer James.
- In the Danish dub, Norman's dialogue is altered to include a contemporary pop culture reference to Scandlines TV commercial characters Kaj and Bøje, a pair of seagulls.
- In the Swedish dub, Norman states that the bridge is en och en halv mil, 15 kilometers.
- In the Swedish dub in the end Jessie and James says "nu är det jul igen" now it's christmas again, probably making a pun on that hjul wheel and jul christmas have the same pronunciation and the fact that they are cycling on a unicycle.
In other languages
| Mandarin Chinese
|| 暴風雨的單車路 / 暴风雨的单车路
|| Kolařský gang
|| De Brug Fietsbende
|| Sillan fillarijengi
|| La bande des bicyclettes
|| Le gang des bicyclettes|
La bande des bicyclettes*
|| Die Fahrrad-Gang
|| כנופיית אופני הגשר knufiat ofanei hagesher
|| ब्रिज की बाइक गाँग Bridge ki Bike Gang *
|| A biciklis banda
|| Avventura su due ruote* |
Una biciclettata sul ponte*
|| 긴급상황 포켓몬을 구하라
|| Gjengen på broen
|| Rowerowy gang wielkiego mostu
|| A Gangue das Bicicletas
|| O Gangue de Motoqueiros da Ponte
|| Gașca Bicicliștilor de pe Pod
|| Байкеры орудуют на мосту!
|| Latin America
|| ¡La banda del puente!
|| La banda de las bicis del puente|
La banda de la bici del puente*
|| Байкери на Мосту