|Casting a Paul on Barry!
Casting a Paul on Barry! (Japanese: シンオウリーグ三回戦！シンジ対ジュン！！ Sinnoh League Third Round! Shinji VS Jun!!) is the 184th episode of Pokémon the Series: Diamond and Pearl, and the 650th episode of the Pokémon anime. It aired in Japan on July 15, 2010 and in the United States on December 4, 2010.
As Ash prepares to battle Conway in the third round of the Sinnoh League tournament at Lily of the Valley Island, Barry is getting ready to battle Paul. In his usual bombastic way, Barry informs Paul that their match will surely decide the top Trainer, while Paul is wary of being overconfident.
The third round is a three-on-three battle, and first up, it’s Barry’s Skarmory against Paul’s Magmortar. Although Barry starts out strong by using Spikes to lay a trap, Magmortar quickly defeats Skarmory, so Barry brings out Hitmonlee. Paul then switches to Ursaring, who is powerful enough to withstand Hitmonlee’s repeated attacks.
Barry has only one Pokémon left, and it’s his beloved Empoleon. Though Empoleon shows great speed and strength, it can’t achieve victory over Paul’s powerful Electivire, and Paul is the victor!
Meanwhile, Team Rocket’s snack shop, thanks to a brainstorm from James, has expanded to sell souvenirs featuring all the Pokémon stars of the third round. The Electivire candy bars are particularly popular!
We leave our heroes pondering Ash’s upcoming battle with Conway, who keeps mysteriously appearing for mere seconds at a time and dropping hints about his “secret strategy”...
As the Lily of the Valley Conference continues, Ash wins his second round match after Snorlax uses Body Slam to defeat his opponent's Grumpig. With the second round of battles over, the battling pairs for the third round are shown: Conway will be battling Ash, and Barry is up against Paul. Outside the stadium, Ash and his friends are looking up at the screen. Then, Conway appears out of nowhere again. As whispers something, Dawn walks back in fear and accidentally bumps into Barry. Barry scolds Dawn for making him fall, and Dawn tells him that he shouldn't be running. The two start to fight, but Brock stops them. Barry explains that he is looking for Paul, determined to let him know what he is up against. Dawn, who is well aware of Paul's coldness, advises Barry against it, but Barry ignores her and runs off. Meanwhile, Team Rocket attempts to sell they food and toy combo deals to the crowds, however the passing trade doesn't stop. Jessie is quick to blame the quality of the Meowth figurine, though Meowth denies that, and says that the Jessilina figurine is not nice. Both of them start to quarrel, though James suggests they try to learn why they aren't connecting to the customers. Together the trio point to the sky, determined to make their stall a resounding success.
By evening, Barry finally finds Paul, who is busy looking up Barry’s data for their upcoming match. Barry is thrilled by this development, and interprets it as Paul feeling threatened by his strength. Barry warns him, however, that the computer data is all outdated as he is always improving. Paul quickly shuts down the computer and orders Barry to reassess his overconfidence, as it is only a third round battle, before leaving. After Paul leaves, Barry checks out Paul's data, but admits it might be outdated. Ash also researches Conway, with the analysis revealing his impulsive nature and multi-skilled battle strategy. As Dawn mentions this makes him rather unpredictable, Conway startles everyone when he makes an appearance. Conway reveals that he has been looking up Tobias, a Trainer who has won the previous rounds and all eight of his Gym Badges with only his Darkrai. Conway goes away as Barry and Ash rush outside to burn off their excitement.
The next day, Paul and Barry's battle begins on a rock field. Barry chooses Skarmory as his first Pokémon and Paul chooses Magmortar. Barry starts the battle with Spikes, a strategy which will come into play anytime Paul switches Pokémon. Paul scores a one-hit KO with Magmortar's Flamethrower, taking Skarmory out immediately. Skarmory is declared out of battle. Barry thanks his Skarmory and returns it to its Poké Ball, before sending out his Empoleon. Empoleon uses Hydro Cannon on Magmortar, injuring it. Despite knowing that his Pokémon will be injured under the effects of Spikes, Paul calls back Magmortar and sends out Ursaring. The Spikes from before inflicts damage on Ursaring.
Barry opts for the type advantage, and switches Empoleon for his Fighting-type Hitmonlee. Paul tells Ursaring to use Bulk Up to increase its defenses. Hitmonlee uses Mega Kick. Ursaring fires back with Hammer Arm, but Hitmonlee dodges it by jumping on a rock. Ursaring uses Slash and Barry tells Hitmonlee to dodge them all. Then, Hitmonlee lands several blows with Close Combat. Ursaring replies with Hammer Arm again, sending Hitmonlee flying backwards. As Hitmonlee is about to crash into a rock, Barry offers his encouragement, and Hitmonlee bounces back with a High Jump Kick. It crashes to the ground and hits Ursaring with its other leg. Paul calls for a Focus Blast. Although Hitmonlee dodges it by jumping behind a rock, the strong impact hits Hitmonlee. Ursaring uses Hammer Arm again, Hitmonlee counters it by using Blaze Kick, burning Ursaring. This, however, triggers Ursaring's Guts Ability, and it uses Hammer Arm to counter Hitmonlee's Blaze Kick. The strong impact causes a smoke that clears soon after. Hitmonlee soon collapses in defeat.
Barry is down to his last Pokémon, and calls out Empoleon again. Paul tells Ursaring to use Slash and Empoleon uses Drill Peck. Both Pokémon are injured. Ursaring uses Focus Blast and Empoleon uses Steel Wing to reflect the attack. The Focus Blast is sent back to Ursaring, injuring it. Paul calls Ursaring back, and sends Electivire out. The Spikes hit Electivire. Empoleon starts off strong with a Hyper Beam and Electivire counters it with Thunder. The attacks collide and causes a massive explosion. The smoke clears and shows Empoleon breathing heavily, needing to recharge after using Hyper Beam. Electivire uses Thunder Punch and Barry tells Empoleon to dodge it. Paul orders Electivire to continue using Thunder Punch, but Empoleon dodges them all. When Empoleon gets cornered, Electivire uses Giga Impact, striking Empoleon at point-blank range. Empoleon manages to stand up. Electivire uses Thunder Punch. Empoleon fails to dodge it, and is launched back many feet, smashing rocks in the process. Empoleon tries to get up. Barry yells it to continue doing its best, Empoleon hears it and its Torrent Ability is activated which powers up its Hydro Cannon, which proves strong enough to destroy the rocky terrain of the field. Ash, Brock and Dawn are all pleased with this breakthrough, though Paul has Electivire use Protect to shield itself from the attack. Empoleon has to recharge from the attack, allowing Electivire to finish it off with Thunder. Empoleon faints while still standing, and Paul is declared the victor with a 3-0 win over Barry.
After spotting a passing Murkrow, James comes up with an idea to bring customers in – customized merchandise. He later returns to the store, bringing a big sack of things. Jessie and Meowth remove the ropes quickly. They begin to promote their merchandise, which consists of many figurines of Paul's and Barry's Pokémon. A crowd appears, wanting to buy their wares. Meanwhile, as Paul is about to leave, Barry calls out to him. He asks Paul if they can battle again, and Paul replies affirmatively. Barry is thrilled, admitting he has never been so fired up. He tells Ash that he will cheer for him as he takes on Conway. Conway makes another creepy appearance, warning Ash that his secret strategy will defeat Ash. Ash stares him down, determined that he will be victorious in the third round.
- Ash wins his second round battle, advancing to the third round.
- Paul, Barry, Conway, and Tobias are revealed to have also advanced to the third round.
- Ash and Paul are selected to battle Conway and Barry, respectively, in the third round.
- Paul's Electabuzz is revealed to have evolved into an Electivire.
- The mysterious Darkrai Trainer is revealed to be called Tobias.
- Barry is revealed to own a Skarmory and a Hitmonlee.
- Paul defeats Barry and advances to the quarterfinals.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
- Pikachu (Ash's)
- Meowth (Team Rocket)
- Piplup (Dawn's)
- Wobbuffet (Jessie's)
- Snorlax (Ash's)
- Seviper (Jessie's; photo)
- Yanmega (Jessie's; photo)
- Carnivine (James's; photo)
- Electivire (Paul's)
- Ursaring (Paul's)
- Magmortar (Paul's)
- Empoleon (Barry's)
- Skarmory (Barry's)
- Hitmonlee (Barry's)
- Darkrai (Tobias's)
- Grumpig (Trainer's)
- There is no Professor Oak's Big Pokémon Examination following this episode.
- This episode was the first to air in Japan after the theatrical release of M13.
- This episode marks the first time that the Torrent Ability is shown in the anime.
- Also, as of this episode, all three starter-exclusive Abilities have been seen in the anime.
- In addition, this is the only episode to date to feature Torrent.
- This is the first time that Barry has been revealed to have a Pokémon that his game counterpart does not have.
- When Barry's Skarmory used Spikes in this episode, it has the same effect as in the games (causing damage only to Pokémon switching into battle), as opposed to previous episodes when Spikes would instead causing damage directly against the opposing Pokémon.
- When Team Rocket was selling their merchandise, they had a doll of Jessilina with a lollipop, which she had been seen with in the ending theme Message of the Wind.
- This episode marks the first time when the move Blaze Kick is used by another species of Pokémon than Blaziken.
- At one point, a Murkrow flies by Meowth after he said that "it's a party at the stadium while out here you can hear paint dry." This is a reference to a common trope in Japanese media, where a crow flies by a character after the character says something extremely obvious or extremely stupid.
- The episode's English dub title may be a pun on "casting a pall on Barry".
- Barry says that Paul's information on the computer is outdated, although there is an image of his recently evolved Electivire on the screen.
- Barry says that Skarmory's Spikes will affect Paul's substituted Pokémon no matter which one he chooses. However, this is incorrect, as Flying types and Pokémon with Levitate are immune to Spikes.
- When Empoleon uses Hydro Cannon against Electivire, the move is shown destroying rocks in its path. However, when Hitmonlee and Ursaring were battling, there weren't any rocks in their path.
- When Empoleon activates Torrent, Barry incorrectly refers to Hydro Cannon as Hydro Pump.
- In the English dub, Barry says that Paul and him are the top two contenders in the tournament and are going head to head. In the Japanese version, Barry says that the battle between them will be bigger than the Big Bang theory.
- In the Japanese version, one of the new items Team Rocket was selling was a beckoning cat. In the English dub, it is called a Meowth doll.
- In the English dub, Barry says that the information about Paul on the computer is outdated. In the English dub, he says past data is the past, and that no matter how much he studies Paul's old battles, it won't help if Paul uses new Pokémon.
- In the English dub, the Pokédex says that Skarmory can fly at speeds over 100 mph. In the Japanese version, it can fly over 300 km per hour, which is around 186 mph.
- In the English dub, when talking about Guts, Brock says that status conditions like Poison or Burn can activate the ability. In the Japanese version, he says Paralysis and Poison.
- In the English dub, near the end of the episode, Team Rocket sells wooden Ursaring, Electivire bars, and Empoleon intertubes. In the Japanese version, the Electivire merchandise is Okoshi or rice cakes.
In other languages
|Dutch||Een portie Paul voor Barry|
|Finnish||Paul vastaan Barry!|
|European French||Bas les pattes, René !|
|German||Barrys großer Kampf|
|Indonesian||Putaran Ketiga Liga Sinnoh! Paul Melawan Barry!!|
|Italian||Paul contro Barry!|
|Korean||신오리그 영란대회 3차전 진철 VS 용식|
|Norwegian||Kaster en Paul på Barry!|
|Polish||Starcie Paula i Barry'ego!|
|Portuguese||Brazil||A Vitória do Paul sobre o Barry!|
|Portugal||Paul Contra Barry!|
|Spanish||Latin America||Buscando un Paul en Barry|
|Spain||¡Enfrentando a Polo con Benito!|
|Swedish||En Paul-skugga över Barry!|
|This episode article is part of Project Anime, a Bulbapedia project that covers all aspects of the Pokémon anime.|