From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
- The title of this article is incorrect because of technical limitations. The correct title is The Official Pokémon Advanced Handbook #4.
The Official Pokémon Advanced Handbook #4 by Maria S. Barbo is an edition of The Official Pokémon Handbook series that was published in 2003. It served as a paper form of the Hoenn Pokédex from Ruby and Sapphire and contained an entry for all the Generation III Pokémon, excluding Jirachi and Deoxys. This handbook is considerably shorter than the older handbooks.
All Pokémon from the same evolution family share a page. Pokémon with no evolution share a page with other Pokémon.
Each entry includes the Pokémon's name, picture, category (e.g. Wood Gecko Pokémon for Treecko), and facts about the Pokémon itself.
The entries list the following stats:
- Height (in inches and feet)
- Weight (in pounds)
- Attacks (the basic and most commonly used moves of that Pokémon)
Attacks are not listed with the levels at which they are learned, and not all the moves the Pokémon can learn appear.
At the very bottom of a Pokémon's entry is a diagram of its evolutionary family. Pokémon that do not evolve do not have an evolution chain.
The book also includes a map and brief summary of the Hoenn region, as well as some features new to Generation III such as Natures and Berries. There are also Hoenn, Johto, and Indigo League comparisons that compare Badges and Starter Pokémon. The book also contains a poster which features all Generation III Pokémon up to Rayquaza.
- There are several minor spelling errors, such as Morning Sun being listed as Mornin on Beautifly's page, and Water Gun being Water Fun on Milotic's. Quick Attack and Faint Attack are also sometimes wrongly shortened to just Quick and Faint respectively.
- In some entries, two moves' names are combined. On Surskit's and Masquerain's pages, Bubble and Quick Attack are joined as Bubble Quick, and on Swablu's and Altaria's pages, Peck and Growl are joined as Peck Growl.
- Huntail's page states that it evolves into Gorebyss.
- Linoone's page states that it is able to learn the move Rushing, but this is its species name.
- Luvdisc's species name is incorrectly spelled "Rendevous" Pokémon, instead of "Rendezvous" Pokémon.
- Medicham is listed as Medicharm.
- Metang is listed as Matang.
- Ninjask's page states that it evolves into Shedinja.
- Ralts's page states that it cannot evolve, whereas it can evolve into Kirlia.
- On Torchic's page, Tentacool's moveset is listed instead of Torchic's.
- Trapinch's page states that it cannot evolve, whereas it can evolve into Vibrava.
- Salamence is listed as the "Blaze Pokémon" instead of "Dragon Pokémon".
- Information on Wurmple states that it evolves into either Cascoon or Silcoon depending on the time of day.
- Information on Ash incorrectly implies that Mudkip is one of his Pokémon.
- The caption for the picture showing a scene from In the Knicker of Time! incorrectly states that May's Torchic knows the move Fire Spin during the episode. It actually learns the move much later in A Shroomish Skirmish as it evolves into a Combusken.
- The caption for the picture showing Ash's battle with Norman's Vigoroth incorrectly implies Vigoroth knows the move Fury Swipes although it was not shown in the anime to have known this move.
- The included poster is missing Illumise.