From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
The Pokémon Essential Handbook by Cris Silvestri is an edition of The Official Pokémon Handbook series that was published by Scholastic on August 1, 2012. It serves as a paper form of the National Pokédex for all 646 Pokémon known at the time in alphabetical order. It is 366 pages long.
- Your comprehensive guide
- to over 640 Pokémon!
- Azelf and Zekrom...
- Bulbasaur and Yanma...
- Cascoon and Xatu...
- Plus hundreds more!
- Legendary Pokémon, Bug-types, Water-types, and every
- Pokémon in between. This book has got it all! It's jam-packed
- with insider info on your favorites from every region.
- So what are you waiting for?
- Let's begin your training!
The entries for each Pokémon are in an easy-to-read page setup. Each Pokémon has either an entire page to itself, or shares a page with one of its evolutions, or another Pokémon.
Each entry is topped with a large, trapezoidal bar colored orange, purple, red, blue, or green. Like the handbook's predecessor, Pokémon Ultimate Handbook, these bars have both the Pokémon's name and species name inside. However, unlike the Ultimate Handbook, the color of the bars depends on the first letter of the Pokémon's name instead of its type, preferring to group Pokémon by name.
Each Pokémon has the following stats below its name:
- Possible Moves (moves the Pokémon will learn by leveling up)
- Height and weight
- Region it was first discovered in (either Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, or Unova)
Image and other information
Each Pokémon has an anime-style picture on its page with "flavor text" under its name. A Legendary or Mythical Pokémon's page is noted with the words "Legendary" or "Mythical" around its picture.
At the very bottom of a Pokémon's entry is a diagram of its evolutionary family. Pokémon that do not evolve do not have an evolution chain. A Pokémon that is on one side of a branched evolution will show itself, and the Pokémon it evolved from, but not the other side of the branch.
- Dragonair's height is listed as 31'01" instead of 13'01".
- Dusknoir's region is listed as Hoenn instead of Sinnoh.
- Giratina's Origin Forme is listed as 14'09" (like its Altered Forme) instead of 22'08".