|A League of His Own!
A League of His Own! (Japanese: カロスリーグ開幕！メガリザードン対決・X対Y！！ The Kalos League Begins! The Mega Lizardon Showdown: X VS Y!!) is the 125th episode of Pokémon the Series: XY, and the 924th episode of the Pokémon anime. It first aired in Japan on June 30, 2016 and in the United States on September 24, 2016.
Our heroes have arrived in Lumiose City for the Kalos League, where they meet up with Tierno, Trevor, Sawyer, and even Alain! The very first matchup is Trevor vs. Alain—and it’s an unexpected battle of Mega Charizard X versus Mega Charizard Y, as Trevor reveals just how hard he’s been training! But Alain proves too powerful, and Trevor is eliminated.
Ash is detained by a persistent challenger on the way to the battlefield and arrives just in time for his match. His opponent starts off with an impressive Altaria, but Ash-Greninja claims a swift victory. Meanwhile, both Sawyer and Alain patiently await their own chance to battle Ash...
|This section does not yet meet the quality standards of Bulbapedia. Please feel free to edit this section to make it conform to Bulbapedia norms and conventions.|
Ash and his friends return to Lumiose City, and it's finally time for the biggest showdown, the Lumiose Conference. Malva is shown doing a live report outside of the stadium where the Kalos League will take place. Team Rocket, disguised as her camera crew, scheme to steal any rare Pokémon that might show up during the conference. Ash and friends arrive at the stadium, marveling at the sight. Malva overhears that Ash will be competing in the Lumiose Conference and decides to interview him. During the interview, Ash states why he is there: to be the very best, and to reach the apex of his pursuit of power, as a Pokémon Trainer.
However, a Trainer sporting a red mohawk who saw Ash's interview gives a disrespectful sneer to Ash's optimism. Skeptical of his capabilities, he runs into Ash and demands a battle from him while calling out his Kabuki Trim Furfrou. Being carried away by his enthusiasm, Ash immediately accepts the challenge, but before he can call out a Pokémon to battle with, Serena grabs onto his arm and scolds him for being rash and reminds him that he might be too late to register for the Lumiose Conference if he chooses to battle. Clemont and Serena excuse the Trainer as they take Ash away to registration, and the Trainer snarls, annoyed that he couldn't battle Ash.
Later that evening, Ash sees that Sawyer is also competing in the Lumiose Conference and has a pep talk with Tierno and Trevor, who are also competing. Ash then notices Alain, who rudely walks away from Professor Sycamore after the latter walks up to him to say hi. Ash catches up to Alain and is surprised to see that he will also be competing in the Kalos League as well. After Alain leaves, the computer randomly matches up the 64 competing Trainers against each other, and Ash is surprised to see that Trevor will be facing Alain. Serena points out that Ash will be facing a Trainer named Titus, and Tierno and Sawyer find out who they will be facing in the first round.
The next day, the grand ceremony is unfurled. The Kalos Pokémon Champion Diantha delivers an encouraging speech, and towards the end, fireworks are displayed. The matches commence accordingly, with the first battle being that of Alain and Trevor. The battlefield is set to a mountainous terrain with a waterfall and a river.
Both Trainers send out their Charizard. Trevor's Charizard opens with Fire Spin, which is evaded by Alain's Charizard. Alain's Charizard retaliates with Flamethrower, which Trevor's Charizard counters with Dragon Claw. Trevor then Mega Evolves his Charizard into Mega Charizard Y. Upon Mega Evolving, its Drought Ability activates, powering up all Fire-type moves. Mega Charizard Y then unleashes a powerful Heat Wave, but Alain's Charizard blocks it by slapping its tail into the water to create a wall to take the hit for it. Trevor calls for his Mega Charizard Y to use Dragon Tail, but Alain's Charizard dodges it. Alain then Mega Evolves his own Charizard into Mega Charizard X. Mega Charizard Y uses Fire Spin while Mega Charizard X uses Flamethrower. The moves collide, creating a thick mist covering both Mega Charizard. Trevor tells Mega Charizard Y to fly, but Alain retaliates by having his Mega Charizard X launch another Flamethrower. Mega Charizard Y gets hit and is knocked out, reverting back to its original form. Clemont is surprised at how powerful Alain's Mega Charizard X is and Serena reminds Ash that his battle is up next, so Ash gets up and leaves. Trevor then calls out his Aerodactyl to battle.
As Ash reaches the pathway that leads to the stadium, he is intercepted by Everett, the red mohawked Furfrou Trainer from before, who immediately challenges him to a battle. Ash tries to decline his challenge for he is up next to battle in the Lumiose Conference, but Everett refuses to let him pass unless he battles him. Seeing that he can't reason with him, Ash accepts Everett's challenge and calls on Pikachu to battle against Everett's Furfrou. Everett's orders Furfrou to use Sand Attack to blind Pikachu before launching a Giga Impact which hits.
Back at the stadium, Alain's Mega Charizard X knocks out Trevor's Aerodactyl with a Flamethrower.
Back in the stadium, Trevor has his last Pokémon, a White Flower Florges, use Energy Ball on Alain's Mega Charizard X, but Mega Charizard X uses another Flamethrower to destroy Florges's attack and knock her out as well, making Alain the winner of the first battle. The spectators are awestruck by Alain's performance, while Trevor is devastated that he was eliminated so soon from the Lumiose Conference.
The next battle, Titus versus Ash, is about to begin. Titus has shown up, and the battlefield has changed into a grassy terrain, but Ash is nowhere to be seen. The battle he had with Everett made him late for his battle with Titus. Everybody wonders where Ash could be, including Clemont, Serena, and even Team Rocket. The referee is about to disqualify Ash for not showing up, but Ash barely arrives in the nick of time and calls out that he is indeed here.
Everett is then seen on the hallway floor remembering the rest of his battle with Ash. Pikachu had used Quick Attack while Furfrou defended with another Cotton Guard. Pikachu retaliated with a powerful Thunderbolt, knocking out Furfrou. After Ash thanked Everett for the battle, Everett broke down in tears, crying that he couldn't compete in the Lumiose Conference for he couldn't collect the eight badges needed to do so. He then told Ash to win his League challenge, and Ash replied that he would do so.
With Ash present, his first Kalos League battle has begun. Titus sends out his Altaria while Ash chooses to use Greninja. Titus has Altaria use Dragon Pulse, which Greninja takes with ease. Titus then orders a Draco Meteor. As the attack approaches, Ash and Greninja sync up to allow Greninja to change into Ash-Greninja and dodge every single meteor caused by Altaria's Draco Meteor. Everyone is surprised to see Greninja change form. Ash-Greninja then delivers a powerful Water Shuriken, knocking out Altaria on impact. Later that day, the participants eagerly await the second round of the Kalos League.
- Ash and his friends arrive back in Lumiose City and meet up with Tierno, Trevor, Sawyer, and Alain again, all of whom have earned the eight required Badges.
- Ash and his friends meet Malva for the first time.
- Ash, Tierno, Trevor, Sawyer, and Alain all enter the Lumiose Conference.
- Alain briefly reunites with Professor Sycamore.
- The Lumiose Conference begins.
- Trevor's Charmeleon is revealed to have evolved into Charizard.
- Trevor is revealed to have obtained a Key Stone, a Charizardite Y, an Aerodactyl, and a Florges.
- Alain and Ash defeat Trevor and Titus, respectively, and advance to the second round.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
Main series debuts
Main series debuts
- Professor Sycamore
- Viola (fantasy)
- Grant (fantasy)
- Korrina (fantasy)
- Ramos (fantasy)
- Valerie (fantasy)
- Olympia (fantasy)
- Wulfric (fantasy)
- Pikachu (Ash's)
- Meowth (Team Rocket)
- Wobbuffet (Jessie's)
- Dedenne (Clemont's)
- Greninja (Ash's; Ash-Greninja)
- Charizard (Alain's; Mega Charizard X)
- Charizard (Trevor's; Mega Charizard Y)
- Aerodactyl (Trevor's)
- Florges (Trevor's; White Flower)
- Altaria (Titus's)
- Furfrou (Everett's; Kabuki Trim)
- Furfrou (Trainer's)
- Mime Jr. (Trainer's; ×2)
- Smeargle (Trainer's)
- Watchog (Trainer's)
- Igglybuff (Trainer's)
- Sentret (Trainer's)
- Glaceon (Trainer's)
- Hoppip (Trainer's)
- Jigglypuff (Trainer's)
- Oddish (Trainer's)
- Cubchoo (Trainer's)
- Pachirisu (Trainer's)
- Fletchling (Trainer's)
- Leafeon (Trainer's)
- Swinub (Trainer's)
- Scraggy (Trainer's)
- Poliwag (Trainer's)
- Furret (Trainer's)
- Fletchling (Pokémon League's; multiple)
- Zygarde (Zygarde Core; Squishy)
- Poké TV: "Kalos League News" focusing on the competitors in the Lumiose Conference, as well as Diantha.
- This episode begins the seven-part Lumiose Conference arc.
- A remix of XY&Z is used as an insert song when Ash's Greninja turns into its Ash-Greninja form.
- Ash, Sawyer, and Tierno narrate the preview for the next episode.
- Two of the Trainers in the Lumiose Conference are also two of the participants in the Pokémon Summer Camp.
- The announcer seen during the opening feast bears a resemblance to the commentator in the Princess Festival in Princess vs. Princess and The Art of Pokémon, and the host of the Rustboro City Pokémon Contest in All Things Bright and Beautifly!.
- This episode marks the first appearance of an Igglybuff in the anime since Normajean's appeared in The Brockster Is In!, 268 episodes earlier.
- The episode's rating was less than 2.3, making it the lowest-rated debut of a Pokémon League Conference in the overall anime to date.
- The English dub title is a reference to the 1992 sports comedy-drama film A League of Their Own.
- When the screen splits to show Alain and Trevor staring at each other, rocky terrain can be seen in the background, even though the field they battle on hadn't risen yet.
- In the long shot of the two Mega Charizard, the tips of Mega Charizard X's wings are blue instead of black.
- During Ash's battle in the hallway, the gray color on Ash's left sneaker is larger than normal and the area at the front is red instead of white.
- In the split second it is on screen before showing Alain as the winner, the scoreboard at the end of the battle incorrectly shows him having used Blastoise and Ludicolo (both of which display as having been knocked out). It is possible that they were meant to be used on Tierno's scoreboard, for his battle against Sawyer in the next episode.
- Like in Rivals: Today and Tomorrow! and A Meeting of Two Journeys!, when Ash holds up Greninja's Poké Ball, the white center and black band around the white button is much larger than normal.
- In between the transformation of Ash-Greninja, both Ash and Greninja are shown to be wearing the pulse meters on their wrists which wasn't shown in between the battle earlier.
- In the dub, when Trevor tells his Mega Charizard Y to use Fire Spin, his Japanese voice can be heard.
- When the scoreboard for the winning Trainers is shown, Remo's card shows him in his old design.
- In the Swedish dub, the scene where Ash commands Pikachu to use Thunderbolt on Furfrou is slightly cut.
In other languages
|Czech||Jeho vlastní liga!|
|Danish||I en liga for sig!|
|Dutch||Zijn eigen league!|
|European French||Une ligue d'exception !|
|German||Eine Liga für sich!|
|Italian||Una lega a parte!|
|Korean||칼로스리그 개막! 메가리자몽 대결, X VS Y!!|
|Norwegian||En klasse for seg!|
|Polish||O to właśnie liga!|
|Portuguese||Brazil||Sua Própria Liga!|
|Portugal||Uma liga à parte!|
|Spanish||Latin America||¡Una liga para Ash!|
|Spain||¡Una liga propia!|
|Swedish||I en egen liga!|
|Thai||เปิดม่านคาลอสลีก! ศึกเมก้าริเซอด้อน X ปะทะ Y!!|
|Turkish||Başlı Başına Bir Lig!|
|This episode article is part of Project Anime, a Bulbapedia project that covers all aspects of the Pokémon anime.|