Check the Bulbagarden home page for up-to-date Pokémon news and discuss it on the forums or in the Bulbagarden Discord server.
|Good Friends, Great Training!
Good Friends, Great Training! (Japanese: カメール、ライチュウ登場！ヌメイルがんばる！！ Kameil and Raichu Appear! Good Luck Numeil!!) is the 65th episode of Pokémon the Series: XY, and the 864th episode of the Pokémon anime. It first aired in Japan on March 26, 2015 and in the United States on May 30, 2015.
On the way to meet Clemont in Lumiose City, our heroes run into their friend Tierno from summer camp! A Team Rocket robot quickly interrupts the happy reunion when it grabs Ash’s Sliggoo and Tierno’s Raichu and Wartortle, and then carts them back to the villains. But Jessie is annoyed that their “Automatic Pikachu Catcher” malfunctioned and sends it flying, allowing the Pokémon to escape.
When Team Rocket comes after Pikachu again, Sliggoo bravely steps up to protect it. When their robot explodes and starts a fire, Sliggoo evolves into Goodra to put out the flames with a powerful Rain Dance before sending the villains blasting off again!
Finally, Ash and Tierno get to have the Double Battle they’ve been planning. Raichu and Wartortle are formidable opponents, but the team of Pikachu and Goodra proves too much for them, and Ash wins! Tierno wishes Ash luck in his upcoming Gym battle and heads off to continue his own journey, and our heroes finally have Lumiose City within their sights!
Ash, Serena, and Bonnie are talking to Clemont via video phone, and Clemont introduces to them his newest invention: a machine that detects dirt and the like and automatically cleans it up. However, the machine mistakes Clemont for dirt himself, and it explodes as he tries to resist it. Soon after, Ash, Serena, and Bonnie continue their travels to Lumiose City. As Ash decides to train, he begins to think about possible strategies to counter Clemont's Pokémon. Suddenly, Tierno steps out from behind a tree and greets the three of them. After again expressing his admiration and affection for Serena, Tierno notices Clemont's absence, when Ash explains that Clemont is the Lumiose Gym Leader. Tierno explains that he battled Clembot for his Voltage Badge and won, and then he agrees to have a training battle with Ash.
In a clearing in the woods, Ash calls out Sliggoo to battle against Tierno. Tierno then shows Ash his team of Pokémon: a Politoed, Wartortle, Ludicolo, and Hitmontop, with Wartortle having evolved from his Squirtle. Ash and Tierno agree to have a Double Battle, with Tierno bringing out his Raichu to partner with Wartortle. Ash decides to have Pikachu partner with Sliggoo. Just before the battle begins, however, a strange machine rolls out of the bushes and grabs Pikachu. An automated message from Team Rocket plays from the mecha, bragging about it and explaining their newest attempt to capture Pikachu. As the mecha tries to drop Pikachu into a cage, Sliggoo uses Dragon Breath to force it to release Pikachu. Suddenly, however, it turns around and immediately grabs Raichu and Wartortle instead. While Pikachu is thrown off the moment he tries to help, Sliggoo manages to grab hold of one of the arms, but all three Pokémon are hurled into the cage and the device releases a pink gas to facilitate its escape.
While en route to where Team Rocket is waiting, Wartortle and Raichu try without success to break the bars of the cage, while Sliggoo cowers, frightened. Meanwhile, Fletchinder searches without success for the mecha, and the group splits up to continue searching. Ash and Serena head one way, while Tierno and Bonnie head the other way. When the mecha arrives at where Team Rocket is relaxing, Jessie, James, and Meowth are dismayed to discover that it had responded to Raichu's internal electricity instead of Pikachu's and had captured the wrong Pokémon. Raichu and Wartortle attack James and Jessie from inside the cage using Thunderbolt and Water Gun, respectively, and Jessie responds in frustration by having Pumpkaboo attack them with Shadow Ball. However, the attack hits the line connecting the cage to the machine and the cage rolls away with Raichu, Wartortle, and Sliggoo still inside it. Jessie then apathetically orders the mecha to resume its search for Pikachu.
Tierno and Bonnie work their way through very thick grass in their search for the missing Pokémon. Suddenly, the cage falls over the cliff next to them and they discover the three Pokémon, stunned from the crash. After making sure that their friends are all right, Tierno and Bonnie realize that the mecha is probably still after Pikachu. Bonnie asks Dedenne to find Pikachu, and Dedenne begins to lead them in the right direction by using its electricity to sense Pikachu's location. Bonnie and Tierno, following Dedenne, come across a giant rock. Sliggoo tries to destroy it with Dragon Breath, but its attacks make little progress. Tierno is amazed at Sliggoo's determination to destroy it and has Raichu and Wartortle help, thus removing the obstacle. Meanwhile, Ash, Serena, and Pikachu are still searching for the three missing Pokémon when Dedenne's electricity reaches Pikachu. Before they can go to find Tierno and Bonnie, however, the mecha reappears and Pikachu drives it away with Iron Tail before he, Ash, and Serena flee while they can. While they are being chased, the machine manages to grab Pikachu again until Team Rocket appears. Just in time, Sliggoo arrives and tackles the mecha, preventing Pikachu from being caged. However, as Jessie sends Pumpkaboo to use Shadow Ball again, it hits the mecha and destroys it, causing sparks to fly everywhere and starting a massive fire.
While Ash, Serena, Pikachu, Sliggoo, and Team Rocket are surrounded by a ring of flames, the fires trigger several painful memories in Sliggoo of its friends being hurt when its homeland was attacked. In response, Sliggoo uses Rain Dance and summons a storm to put out the fire, triggering its own evolution into Goodra as well. Seeing the power of Ash's new Pokémon, James suggests that they attempt to capture Goodra instead, but his plan is short-lived. Despite the blows by Pumpkaboo and Inkay's Dark Pulse and Psybeam, Goodra uses Dragon Pulse to easily send Team Rocket blasting off.
With Team Rocket out of the way, Ash and Tierno resume their battle. Pikachu uses Quick Attack while Wartortle holds its ground and use Rapid Spin. Pikachu manages to dodge while Raichu uses Charge Beam and Focus Blast on Goodra, but Goodra takes the hit and begins charging Bide. Although Pikachu tries to counter another Focus Blast with Electro Ball, Wartortle interferes with another Rapid Spin and allows Raichu to successfully execute its attack. With its Bide fully charged, Goodra launches the attack and Wartortle tries to block with Hydro Pump, but Pikachu responds with Iron Tail, allowing Goodra's Bide to hit Raichu and Wartortle. Tierno and his Pokémon then begin their dance rhythm and Wartortle uses Skull Bash, but Goodra catches and holds Wartortle. As Raichu tries to use Focus Blast, Pikachu counters it with Electro Ball again. Goodra throws Wartortle into Raichu, leaving them both struggling. To finish off their opponents, Pikachu uses Thunderbolt on Wartortle and Goodra uses Dragon Pulse on Raichu. Both attacks hit the Pokémon, knocking them out, and Ash is declared the winner of the battle.
That evening, Ash, Serena, and Bonnie say goodbye to Tierno and finally arrive in Lumiose City, excited to see Clemont again and for Ash's battle against him.
- Ash, Serena, and Bonnie meet up with Tierno again.
- Tierno is revealed to have earned the Voltage Badge from Clembot.
- Tierno's Squirtle is revealed to have evolved into a Wartortle.
- Tierno is revealed to have obtained a Politoed, a Hitmontop, a Ludicolo, and a Raichu.
- Ash's Sliggoo evolves into Goodra and learns Dragon Pulse.
- Ash has a Double Battle with Tierno and wins.
- Ash and his friends arrive back at Lumiose City.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline.
Who's That Pokémon?: Sliggoo (US and international)
Pokémon Quiz: Sliggoo (Japan)
- Pikachu (Ash's)
- Meowth (Team Rocket)
- Wobbuffet (Jessie's)
- Dedenne (Clemont's)
- Fletchinder (Ash's)
- Goomy (Ash's; flashback)
- Sliggoo (Ash's; evolves)
- Goodra (Ash's; newly evolved; debut)
- Heliolisk (Clemont's; flashback)
- Pumpkaboo (Jessie's; Super Size)
- Inkay (James's)
- Squirtle (Tierno's; flashback)
- Wartortle (Tierno's)
- Politoed (Tierno's)
- Hitmontop (Tierno's)
- Ludicolo (Tierno's)
- Raichu (Tierno's)
- Wooper (×4; flashback)
- Lotad (×4; flashback)
- Gulpin (×4; flashback)
- Seviper (flashback)
- Clembot (flashback)
- Professor Oak's Pokémon Holo Caster: Squirtle
- This episode has similarities with Aiding the Enemy!. Both take place two episodes before Ash's fifth Gym battle in the region he is traveling in, feature Ash and his friends meeting up with one of Ash's rivals, who reveals that he has earned a Badge at the Gym Ash is planning on challenging, and one of Ash's Pokémon evolves.
- Coincidentally, two of these events also occurred in Fighting Ire with Fire!, which took place two episodes before Ash met up with Volkner and also featured Paul.
- This is the only main series episode of Pokémon the Series: XY where Clemont doesn't appear in person.
- Ash, Clemont, and Officer Jenny narrate the preview for the next episode.
- The way how Sliggoo evolves under rain is similar to the method it evolves in the games.
- In the games, however, Sliggoo cannot evolve during a rain caused by Rain Dance.
- An instrumental version of Mega V (Mega Volt) is used as an insert song during Sliggoo's evolution in this episode.
- This episode marks the first appearance of a number of Pokémon species in the main series after long absences:
- Wartortle, who last appeared in Staging a Heroes' Welcome!, 321 episodes ago.
- Ludicolo, who last appeared in A Faux Oak Finish!, 259 episodes ago.
- Hitmontop, who last appeared in Yes in Dee Dee, It's Dawn!, 237 episodes ago.
- In the title card of the Finnish version, the letter ä in the word "hyviä" was written incorrectly without dots.
- In a scene showing Team Rocket wet after Ash's Goodra's Rain Dance, James is seen pouring water out of his glove, even though he has gloves on both of his hands.
In other languages
|Danish||Gode venner, suveræn træning!|
|Dutch||Goede vrienden, een te gekke training!|
|Finnish||Hyviä ystäviä, huippuharjoittelua!|
|European French||Les meilleurs des amis, pour le meilleur des entraînements !|
|German||Gute Freunde, tolles Training!|
|Greek||Καλοί Φίλοι, Τέλεια Προπόνηση!|
|Hebrew||!חברים טובים, אימונים נהדרים|
|Italian||Buoni amici, ottimo allenamento!|
|Korean||어니부기와 라이츄 등장! 힘내라, 미끄네일!!|
|Norwegian||Gode venner, flott trening!|
|Polish||Dobrzy przyjaciele, świetny trening!|
|Portuguese||Brazil||Bons Amigos, Grandes Treinos!|
|Portugal||Bons Amigos, Grandes Treinos!|
|Russian||Хорошие друзья, отличные тренировки!|
|Spanish||Latin America||¡Buenos amigos y un gran entrenamiento!|
|Spain||¡Un Gran Entrenamiento entre Buenos Amigos!|
|Swedish||Goda vänner, finfin träning!|
|Turkish||İyi Dostlar, Harika Eğitim!|
|This episode article is part of Project Anime, a Bulbapedia project that covers all aspects of the Pokémon anime.|
- Pokémon the Series: XY episodes
- Episodes written by Shinzō Fujita
- Episodes storyboarded by Kaori Higuchi
- Episodes directed by Ken'ichi Nishida
- Episodes animated by Izumi Shimura
- Episodes focusing on Ash
- Episodes focusing on Tierno
- Episodes in which a main character's Pokémon evolves
- Episodes in which a main character's Pokémon learns a new move