From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
- This article is about the Marowak in Lavender Tower. For Ghost type Marowak, see Alola Marowak.
This article is missing information on this character's Japanese voice actor.
You can help by adding this information.
The ghost of a Marowak haunts the Pokémon Tower in Lavender Town. This ghost is the mother of a Cubone.
In the games
In the Generation I games and Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen, before the player reaches Lavender Town, members of Team Rocket invade the Pokémon Tower and attempt to steal the skulls of Cubone in order to sell them for large amounts of money. One Cubone, however, was protected by its mother. The Cubone escaped, but its mother was killed. As a result, the Marowak's ghost remained in the Pokémon Tower, forbidding access to the topmost floor. She appears as a ghost, avoids all thrown Poké Balls, and scares opponents into being unable to attack. However, with the Silph Scope it is possible to battle her. Once she was defeated, her soul was calmed, and she departed to the afterlife, allowing the player passage to the top floor.
Even after the Silph Scope is used on it, the Marowak ghost will continue to dodge thrown Poké Balls (including Master Balls), even while sleeping.
In the anime
Marowak's ghost form in Pokémon Origins
In Pokémon Origins
Marowak in Pokémon Origins
The Marowak ghost makes an appearance in the Pokémon Origins episode File 2: Cubone. Here, she plays the same role that she does in the games, warning intruders to stay away. The Marowak and her child Cubone used to live peacefully until Team Rocket began poaching Pokémon in the area. When they attempted to capture Cubone as well, Marowak stepped in to protect it, only to be killed with a stun baton while her child was running away.
After her death, she haunted the Pokémon Tower to warn people of Team Rocket, who had taken it over. When Blue went to drive Team Rocket out, he saw the ghost and ran away from her, terrified. Red, however, decided to be brave and fight her with his Charmeleon, but his Pokémon's attacks wouldn't work on her. When Blue returned to give Red the Silph Scope, Red was able to identify the ghost and figure out her true identity.
Before he could continue their battle, Marowak's child Cubone came rushing in and embraced its deceased mother. Having found peace in seeing her child once again, Marowak's spirit calmed down and moved on to the afterlife.
|| Voice actor
|| Laura Post
| European Spanish
|| Milagros Fernández
In the manga
Marowak's ghost in Pokémon Zensho
In the Pokémon Zensho manga
The ghost of Marowak appeared in Celadon City.
- This ghost Marowak is one of the few wild Pokémon encountered by the player after the player has access to Poké Balls that is impossible to catch. The only other two to share this trait are the Black KyuremB2/White KyuremW2 in Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 and Nihilego at Aether Paradise in Pokémon Sun and Moon; however, when battling against these forms of Kyurem, Poké Balls cannot be used at all.
- Despite the fact that this Marowak is a ghost, it is not treated as a Ghost-type Pokémon by the game, and thus is still affected by Normal and Fighting-type moves.
- In Generation I games, a glitch exists where a Poké Doll can be used against the Marowak, which will make it flee the fight and allow the player to pass on as if it were defeated. This allows the player to skip getting the Silph Scope and the Celadon Rocket Hideout completely, and was addressed in the remakes.
- In Pokémon Origins, its Cubone offspring is shown wearing its skull in the flashback, despite the Marowak not even having died yet.
For more information on this Pokémon's species, see Marowak.