From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
A Horde Encounter (Japanese: 群れバトル Herd Battle) is a type of Pokémon battle introduced in Pokémon X and Y. Horde Encounters consist of the appearance of a group of five wild Pokémon. Unlike in Double Battles, Pokémon in a horde are usually of the same species, but may include counterparts or other Pokémon with similar design origins.
Pokémon in hordes are at approximately half the level of other Pokémon in the same area and in some routes may be a lower evolutionary stage of Pokémon that normally inhabit the area (such as a horde of Geodude occuring in areas dominated by Graveler). Pokémon encountered in hordes may also have their Hidden Ability.
In the games
Hordes are encountered randomly by running through the tall grass, or it can be forcefully induced using Honey or Sweet Scent. However, neither will work when it is raining in the overworld. As in wild Double Battles, a Trainer cannot throw a Poké Ball when multiple foes remain.
In all cases of mixed hordes, four of one Pokémon species will appear, joined by one of another species.
- A Tauros horde may include one Miltank, and vice-versa.
- A Trevenant horde may include one Sudowoodo, and vice-versa.
- A Seviper horde may include one Zangoose, and vice-versa. The Seviper and Zangoose will attack each other before attacking the player's Pokémon.
- A Nidoran♂ horde may include one Nidoran♀, and vice-versa.
- A Roggenrola horde may include one Carbink, and vice-versa.
- A Durant horde may include one Heatmor, and vice-versa. The Durant and Heatmor will attack each other before attacking the player's Pokémon.
- A Plusle horde may include one Minun, and vice-versa.
In other languages