Rood in Pokémon Adventures
|Games||Black and White,|
Black 2 and White 2
|Member of||Team Plasma|
In the games
In Pokémon Black and White, Rood is encountered along with Ghetsis, Bronius and several Team Plasma Grunts at Team Plasma's hideout in Castelia City. He leaves the building shortly after the arrival of the player. He later appears with all the other sages at N's Castle, blocking the player's way to N. However, the Unova Gym Leaders appear and clear the way to N. After Ghetsis has been defeated, Rood can be found on Route 18, where he gives the player TM32 (Double Team) and is arrested by Looker.
In Pokémon Black 2 and White 2, Rood is encountered living with Anthea, Concordia and several Grunts in the original Team Plasma's safehouse in Driftveil City. After losing in a battle with the player, he gives the player N's Zorua. Shortly afterwards, he appears on Route 6 after the player has encountered Cobalion. Later, he appears leading the members of the original Team Plasma against Ghetsis's new Team Plasma at the Giant Chasm, occupying their forces to allow the player to reach Ghetsis himself.
Pokémon Black 2 and White 2
Pokémon Black and White
- Castelia City
- "What is it?"
- N's Castle
- "Superior men understand what is right. Inferior men understand what will sell."
- "Constant dripping wears away the stone. I've been waiting in the abyss for this day. No one shall interfere!"
- Route 18
- "It smells of the sea here. This place has the same ocean smell as where I was born…"
- "Ghetsis wandered the lands of this world all over, collecting knowledge of all kinds while searching for like-minded people. From the moment we met, he understood what I desired."
- "The ability to understand the minds and the needs of others… This is an ability that everyone needs to survive. My lord N is a kind and excellent person who understands the hearts of Pokémon. But, conversely, perhaps his ability to understand the hearts and feelings of people is not developed enough."
- "But… Even that was part of the perfection of Ghetsis's plan. When it comes to Ghetsis, I cannot separate the truths from the lies. See this? I received it from Ghetsis, but I no longer need it. I hope you can put it to good use."
- "Someday, if my lord N develops the ability to understand the feelings of people as well as Pokémon, I would like us to gather again. More than anything, I want to see N confront Ghetsis."
- "If that is what you desire…"
Pokémon Black 2 and White 2
- Before battle
- "Oh! So you're interested in Team Plasma, are you?"
- "My guest. If you're going to come inside, I would like to see what kind of person you are, Trainer. That's right. In a Pokémon battle. Do you find this acceptable?"
- Yes: "Let us begin!"
- No: "Then, I'm afraid I must ask you to leave."
- Upon being defeated
- "Ho! You fight as if you really understand your Pokémon!"
- After being defeated
- "I apologize for testing you. Being former members of Team Plasma, we must deal with a lot…"
- "And that is? Your friend? He may join us."
- Inside the house
- "Let me introduce myself again. My name is Rood."
- "More accurately, we're former members of Team Plasma. Because of the incident two years ago, we started taking care of the Pokémon that were separated from their Trainers as a way to atone for our misdeeds. And you are?"
- "Is that so… My sincerest apologies…"
- "The Pokémon you speak of is not in this place. I imagine it is still being used by Team Plasma now. Just as you say, our apologizing doesn't solve anything. But you can't move forward unless you admit you were wrong and apologize…"
- "Team Plasma made Trainers like him suffer… I feel terrible about it… How foolish we were… <Player>, as you can see, I can't do anything to thank you. Actually, I have a favor to ask of you. Could you please look after this Pokémon, Zorua?"
- Yes: "Oh! Thank you!"
- No: "If you change your mind, please come speak to me again."
- "That Zorua is one of the Pokémon that my lord N relied on as a friend during his journey."
- "My lord N is a wonderful person who has the power to understand the hearts of Pokémon. But still, he has much to learn about understanding the hearts of people... I hope he will develop this skill while he travels with the legendary Pokémon to atone for the trouble he caused in Unova as the king of Team Plasma."
- Route 6
- "That Pokémon…?"
- "Oh, Cobalion! What a noble presence!"
- "Unforgivable… So the reach of Ghetsis's ambition and malice is growing ever wider and warping the lives of all it touches…"
- "Did Cobalion appear in front of you merely by accident? Or to plead with you to solve a problem? Unlike Lord N, I don't have the ability to understand the minds of Pokémon. Therefore, I don't know what that Pokémon is thinking. But if you can befriend Cobalion, it will be a great asset to you on your journey."
- Before Team Plasma's withdrawal
- "Aah! I will say it as many times as it takes until you understand! Ghetsis's real plan was to take over the Unova region! Liberating Pokémon was nothing more than an excuse! If anything, it would've made Pokémon suffer!"
- "Are your Pokémon OK? You should take these with you!"
- "You, too."
- "At times like these, those whose hearts weaken, those whose determination falters, can accomplish nothing! To save our old allies, to protect Unova, we will fight!"
- "Both of you, go! No, just a moment… Hugh, was it? About the Pokémon you're looking for… In all likelihood, it is in the possession of the Shadow Triad--the dark warriors who appear silently."
- "At that time, I believed we were on the side of justice. By serving my king, N, I was going to make a world without war. But I was conceited, and I couldn't see the unhappiness we were causing. That's why I can't let it happen again!"
- After Team Plasma's withdrawal
- "Oh! You're safe! I'm so glad! As for Team Plasma's ship, a man in a white lab coat appeared. He said that a Trainer had given him the answer he'd been seeking, and, as thanks, he would disband Team Plasma…Then he said, "Farewell! Walk a just path with Pokémon!" and he flew the ship away. So everything has been resolved. We were even able to confirm that Lord N is safe."
|TM32 (Double Team)||Route 18||B W|
Black 2 and
|Overworld sprite from|
In the anime
This article is missing information on this character's English voice actor.
You can help by adding this information.
In the manga
Rood is one of the Seven Sages of Team Plasma. Three years prior to the start of the Black & White chapter, he was tasked with finding information on the Mythical Pokémon Victini so that its power may be used to bring victory for Team Plasma. Rood debuted in person in Letting Go, where he and the other sages were seen in Accumula Town after Ghetsis gave a speech convincing people to release their Pokémon.
Although not seen in person, in At Liberty on Liberty Garden, Rood sent three of his subordinate Team Plasma Grunts to Liberty Garden so they could capture Victini. The Grunts were eventually defeated by Black, who used Victini's ability to bring victory to help him defeat the Grunts' Pokémon.
In Cold Hard Truth, Team Plasma launched their attack on the Pokémon League, surrounding the building with N's Castle. As a form of mockery and display of Team Plasma's power, the Gym Leaders were hoisted on cross-like fixtures and displayed in front of the masses. While Black went ahead to face N, a group of regular Trainers led by Hiker Andy fought the sages in his place. Together, Andy and the others managed to free the Gym Leaders, forcing Rood and the other sages to flee.
Two years later, Rood and the other sages were sought after by the International Police members Blake and Looker, who aimed to arrest them along with the other remaining Team Plasma members. Unlike the other sages, Rood, along with Gorm, decided to side with the members of Team Plasma who believed in N's ideals.
In Frozen World, Rood arrived in Castelia City shortly after it was frozen by the Plasma Frigate. There, he met Whitley, a former Team Plasma Grunt tasked with guarding a memory card containing data on a device that could counteract the Pokémon-controlling Colress Machine. Whitley revealed she lost the memory card, but it was found by Hugh, a classmate of hers. Rood had his subordinates search the unconscious Hugh's body, only to discover it wasn't on his person. Whitley came to conclusion he must have left it behind at the Aspertia City's Trainers' School. Rood decided to leave immediately, but Whitley feared leaving her classmates behind would expose her identity as a member of Team Plasma. Rood had N's Zorua take Whitley's form to fool the classmates long enough for them to find the memory card. Before they could act, Whitley pushed Rood out of the way of an incoming Mandibuzz, leading to her being captured and taken aboard the Plasma Frigate, allowing Rood to escape.
In Abyssal Ruins, Hugh awakened at the Aspertia Trainers' School. Rood requested Hugh reveal the location of the memory card, but the boy refused as Team Plasma stole his younger sister's Purrloin years ago. Rood assured Hugh that Purrloin was safe in the care of someone else and promised to retrieve it once the memory card was dealt with. Before Hugh could respond, a group of Plasma Grunts broke into the room in order to stop them. Hugh reluctantly gave up the key to his room and told Rood to get the memory card while he stayed behind and kept the Grunts busy.
In Deduction Time, after the memory card was retrieved, Rood and Hugh fled to the white Team Plasma's hideout and activated the anti-Colress Machine device. Afterward, Rood went to the Giant Chasm, where he confronted Colress, telling him that his plans had been foiled. The device successfully freed Kyurem from Colress's control, only for it to absorb Reshiram and transform into White Kyurem.
In Epilogue: Graduation Ceremony, after Team Plasma's defeat, Rood was arrested and taken into custody by the International Police. He was visited by Whitley, who returned to her normal life after her friends agreed to keep her status as a former Team Plasma member a secret. Rood informed Whitley that N would be released on bail so he could work to return the Pokémon liberated by Team Plasma back to their original owners.
|Chandelure is Rood's first known Pokémon. He was first seen as a Lampent and was used at the Pokémon League to combat the Trainers helping Black rescue the kidnapped Gym Leaders. When the Gym Leaders were freed, Lampent was left to fight alone with the other sages' Pokémon after the Seven Sages escaped. Prior to Abyssal Ruins, he evolved into a Chandelure.|
|Swoobat is Rood's second known Pokémon. It was first seen flying Rood to where Colress was controlling Kyurem.
None of Swoobat's moves are known.
This Zorua was originally one of N's friends. After Team Plasma's defeat, he was left behind when N bid his farewells. In Frozen World, Zorua appeared with Rood to take Whitley's appearance with his Illusion Ability, allowing her to leave her classmates' side to search for the memory card contained in her pendant.
|Debut||Listening to Pokémon|
- Rood is the only sage that gives a TM that raises the user's stats by a total of one stage. The TMs given by the other sages either raise one stat two stages or two stats one stage.
- In Black and White, Rood quotes a proverb from the Analects and makes a reference to a Chinese idiom at N's Castle.
- Rood can be seen as Zinzolin's parallel in that Rood is a sage who decided to stay with the sect that remains loyal to N while Zinzolin joins the other sect that is loyal to Ghetsis.
- The Zorua that Rood gives to the player in Black 2 and White 2 has 30 IVs in every stat.
|Japanese||ロット Rood||From rood, Dutch for red|
|English||Rood||From his Japanese name|
|German||Rubius||From rubeus, Latin for red|
|Italian||Ross||From rosso, red|
|Spanish||Ruga||From ruĝa, Esperanto for red|
|Korean||로트 Rood||Transliteration of Japanese name|
|Chinese (Mandarin)||羅德 / 罗德 Luódé||Transliteration of Japanese name|
|Chinese (Cantonese)||羅德 Lòhdāk||Mandarin-based transliteration of Japanese name|
|Vietnamese||Rot||Transliteration of his Japanese name|
|This game character article is part of Project CharacterDex, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on each character found in the Pokémon games.|